closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

View Poll Results: If you had to choose between a new BMW or a new Mercedes which would it be?

Voters
173. You may not vote on this poll
  • BMW

105 60.69%
  • Mercedes

68 39.31%
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Mercedes or BMW?

Journeyman

Re: Mercedes or BMW?

BMW for me, but then I do work in sales for a BMW dealership (luckily none of the ones mentioned so far!!)

Maybe some of you BMW voters should have test driven the Merc C55AMG I wanted to buy. It was scarily fast and the only reason I didn't buy it is because some dickhead offered him a PX with a nearly new Range Rove Vogue SE which was worth more than he was asking for the the C55.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Master

Even an old C36 is good fun and can be picked up relatively cheap

Master
    Blog Entries

Maybe some of you BMW voters should have test driven the Merc C55AMG I wanted to buy. It was scarily fast and the only reason I didn't buy it is because some dickhead offered him a PX with a nearly new Range Rove Vogue SE which was worth more than he was asking for the the C55.

Eddie
    I've always loved the C class AMG's, there's something very sinister about them! Still that is a strong deal and Vogue's are always in demand. The RR Sport always bemuses me though, literally 100k miles on the clock base specs on 55 plate; £20k.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne

Eddie
    Indeed very very fast, found wanting in the all important ''grip'' department for me.

Craftsman

I'd tend to errr towards a BMW but I'd prefer old as to new all the time, but that then does bring in to question the classic Merc SL Gullwing. 8)

Grand Master

I've been lucky enough to have driven several BMW's (3 & 5 series, as well as Z1, Z3 & Z4), a couple of Mercs (220E class & SLK) but still much prefer driving an Audi! So that's the route I've gone (well that and an MG) ..
    /vince ..

I have been driving 911's for over 15 years but my parents have both a Mercedes and BMW.

I had an old Mercedes SLC 1981 model which had amazing build quality and i realise that they don't make them like this anymore, but my dad's C180 1999 model has done 97,000 miles and never broken down. It is utterly reliable.

Mercedes as a brand are also more prestigious I would say but are also more popular with older age groups in general.

Frankly, you can't really go wrong with either as long as it's looked after properly.

Craftsman

if you;re talking classics, then Merc wins 8)

Journeyman

For me, it's BMW. I've had 8 now and nothing else I've tried so far, Audi, Merc, Jap stuff etc has come close.

I'd really like to try a C63AMG, but haven't got the cash required to purchase one at the moment if I ended up liking it! Not a fan of auto boxes though, so that's probably what's stopping me trying one. Must resist, must resist.......... :lol:

Apprentice

Had a couple of each, but had so many problems with Mercs and non with BMW, BM all day for me

Quote Originally Posted by hot66
    if you;re talking classics, then Merc wins 8)

Stuff the cars, that transporter is the biz

Eddie
    Go try a C63, that'll blow your mind - USA mag tested it at 3.9 secs to 60 FFS !!

I would have confirmed this myself if the local Merc agent had bothered to call back as promised - said they would get a car up within two weeks as a few potential customers had requested a trial - that was over three months ago, hey maybe my phone is broken eh !! :roll:

Quote Originally Posted by GraniteQuarry
    Go try a C63, that'll blow your mind - USA mag tested it at 3.9 secs to 60 FFS !!
    I second that. C63=awesome ;-)

I love mine

Master

Having owned both the answer is v.v.v.v.v simple BMW everytime.

Wife currently has 645ci, just a great car to drive hard or easy, have also had 1 & 3 series and they are head and shoulders above Merc to drive. The C class and SLK i've had have been nothing short of a crock of shit.

IMHO BMW service / staff are also well ahead of Merc as well, certainly over here anyway.

As for the pretenders i.e. Audi, Jag having also owned these as well at one time or another, buy a Skoda/Seat or Ford. FRONT WHEEL DRIVE IS FRONT WHEEL DRIVE END OF, why pay a premium for a wanna be badge and before anyone says "quattro" i'll give you that, the only Audi's worth a shout.

Interesting... had a few of each, and the early Mercs were fantastic - had a 320SL which was built like a tank, still my favourite, also a CLK which was good but not to SL standard. I've also run a 3 series for a lot of miles, which was good, but slowly fell to pieces, a 5 series ( not the current one) which falls into my ' best car in the world' catgeory and a current 3 series hardtop, which is amazing, is as quick as the SL but does 46 to the gallon on a run (3 litre diesel). Of all those, SL is the business, would happily have another. This is the pre-tin top version. Truly awesome and now cheap as chips.

As a comparison, in the same timescale, has a Disco 2 ( classic Solihull build quality - sorry guys, but you could have been great)( no, really - everyone else can get a sunroof to seal), a peugeot 205 (why?), a Saab 9-3 convert (please try to connect the front and back together next time...) and a Lexus RX (Landrover - buy one and see if you can get close, I can only assume you did and gave up)( and yes, I know the Disco is better off a cliff, and no, I don't go there, to forestall the obvious arguments)(Landy is so capable offroad, I'm sure most people have NO idea what it could actually do...)

In reality, dream garage is an SL (old style) and a Disco (designed by people who wanted them to work)

Master

There is an interesting pattern here with regards the MB's which reflects my brother experience of em. He worked in a MB garage for a while, drove most of the then current range (about 10 years ago or so mind) but summed them all up by saying the high end expensive stuff is amazing but the low end stuff just isn't worth bothering with. This certainly seems to chime in with what I have heard about low end A and C class models. BTW he still says the best car he has driven by a country mile was the SL60, OK loads of cars faster now but back then it was an amazing car.

Quote Originally Posted by NJH
    BTW he still says the best car he has driven by a country mile was the SL60
    Oooh that's a cracker, and rare too, only 180 or so made in RHD. :D

BTW i think the comments on Merc are bang on target, the high-end cars are spectacular machines, solid as they come - but lower down the range they're worryingly "built-to-budget". I've heard far too many stories of troublesome, and especially rusting, C-Classes of both previous generations to the current one (not sure how that's fairing, but for sure a bonny car!).

Master

Eddie

I would have confirmed this myself if the local Merc agent had bothered to call back as promised - said they would get a car up within two weeks as a few potential customers had requested a trial - that was over three months ago, hey maybe my phone is broken eh !! :roll:
    It might go quicker in a straight line, but round a bend two I'd take your E61 anyday :D

Quote Originally Posted by spogehead

Eddie

It might go quicker in a straight line, but round a bend two I'd take your E61 anyday :D
    LOL yeah, and i can have a wardrobe in the back whilst i do it :lol:

Hey, you'll be interested to hear what else i bought this week... E28 M5 !! Project !! :D

Master

Eddie

LOL yeah, and i can have a wardrobe in the back whilst i do it :lol:

Hey, you'll be interested to hear what else i bought this week... E28 M5 !! Project !! :D
    Fantastic, that and the E24 are what it's all about......... before and afters I sincerely hope? :P

Good luck to your local parts boys' trying to nail the bits for you :blackeye:

Fantastic, that and the E24 are what it's all about......... before and afters I sincerely hope? :P

Rest assured i will take many photos, that's assuming i go ahead as i know it's go a fair bit of tin-worm underneath! And yes, chasing the parts will be a trial, but also serious fun :D

Despite my present love for Mercedes, I lusted after a BMW 3.0 CS in 1973 when I was posted in Germany and in 1979, there wasn't much I wouldn't have done to get my hands on a 535M.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

I always fancied a BMW 2002 from that era. Cute. When I got a ride in a 5 series ten years later I found the ride painfully hard.

Master

Rest assured i will take many photos, that's assuming i go ahead as i know it's go a fair bit of tin-worm underneath! And yes, chasing the parts will be a trial, but also serious fun :D
    So you have actually bought it then? Must be a ''before'' shot getting up here soon...... ? 8)

So you have actually bought it then? Must be a ''before'' shot getting up here soon...... ? 8)
    Some pics (of the seller's) off the M5 forum, it's now sitting in me mam's garage !! :D

Master

:shock: That looks in pretty good nick going by those

Dolphin grey? Has it got the dog leg box in it can't make out from the pics....?

Dolphin grey? Has it got the dog leg box in it can't make out from the pics....?
    Apparently it's not Dolphin! A bit more greeny, it's a special order Sonderlackierung code and is currently unconfirmed, but i'm working on it! The records of these show 20 of the 187 imported were special paint orders, only a couple patches bubbling outside, but defo some welding underneath required. Interior is Silver "Special Leather" and one of only 3 i think it is with this option - absolutely everything bar the roof lining is covered !!

Box is the standard gate - i think it was the M535i that had the dogleg? - this is a Getrag unit that was only used in this car.

Built in July 1986 - i believe the very last M5 assembled at the M-Sport Preußenstrasse facility before they moved to the Daimlerstraße plant after the Aug holiday. It's serial number 77 of the 187 RHD built (excluding the 96 that were knock-down kits assembled in South africa and not hand-built by BMW Motorsport in Germany).

I love delving into the history of this thing, it's like it's alive :D

Master

Apparently it's not Dolphin! A bit more greeny, it's a special order Sonderlackierung code and is currently unconfirmed, but i'm working on it! The records of these show 20 of the 187 imported were special paint orders, only a couple patches bubbling outside, but defo some welding underneath required. Interior is Silver "Special Leather" and one of only 3 i think it is with this option - absolutely everything bar the roof lining is covered !!

Box is the standard gate - i think it was the M535i that had the dogleg? - this is a Getrag unit that was only used in this car.

Built in July 1986 - i believe the very last M5 assembled at the M-Sport Preußenstrasse facility before they moved to the Daimlerstraße plant after the Aug holiday. It's serial number 77 of the 187 RHD built (excluding the 96 that were knock-down kits assembled in South africa and not hand-built by BMW Motorsport in Germany).

I love delving into the history of this thing, it's like it's alive :D
    Bloody hell you have done some serious spade work! :shock:

Keep us posted of how you get on it really is a special motor car.

ps I think you are right about the M535'S and doglegs http://www.classiccarsforsale.co.uk/cla ... arno/22787

ps I think you are right about the M535'S and doglegs http://www.classiccarsforsale.co.uk/cla ... arno/22787
    It's amazing the info that can be found these days with an evening spent at the PC !!

Was flicking through the owner's manual last night (yup all the paperwork bar the original sales invoice is present!) it details the dogleg gate as being the "Sports" gearbox, so considering the booklet does NOT cover the M5 (there is an extra additional booklet just for that model!) i'm assuming it was the M535is that had them fitted.

BTW the car was supplied locally, and i'm the 5th owner - one guy had it all the way from 1989 to 2007! - i even recall seeing it around here years ago as he had a private plate on it :D

Very nice lclassic David. The BBS alloys look in really nice condition.

Just need to tint the windows, add some running lights and you can start dealing in East London.

Andy

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Andyg

Just need to tint the windows, add some running lights and you can start dealing in East London.

Andy
    :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Will look perfect double parked outside a Morley's chicken shop

Master

It's amazing the info that can be found these days with an evening spent at the PC !!

Was flicking through the owner's manual last night (yup all the paperwork bar the original sales invoice is present!) it details the dogleg gate as being the "Sports" gearbox, so considering the booklet does NOT cover the M5 (there is an extra additional booklet just for that model!) i'm assuming it was the M535is that had them fitted.

BTW the car was supplied locally, and i'm the 5th owner - one guy had it all the way from 1989 to 2007! - i even recall seeing it around here years ago as he had a private plate on it :D
    Sounds and looks like a beauty, dare I ask how much you gave for it Dave (pm?)

Master

Looks great. I'm finding myself drawn toward an E30 325i lately...

Quote Originally Posted by Andyg

Andy
    Quote Originally Posted by BDStevens
    Cheers lads, what is it with us blokes and vintage stuff !!

BTW it's back on the original 16" BBS now, pretty similar to the ones shown which are 17" (seller kept them for his 635CSi) :wink:

Master

Very very cool, nice catch David and a proper gold ole engine in there. I bet it sounds awesome wound up. If I didn't get the 968 I was dead set on getting one of the latter M5's with the nurburgring pack, on balance we are very happy now with the 968, mrs NJH loves it. Still have that nagging desire for a bit of M badge action though.

Oh and ISTR Ayrton Senna's own road car was a MB 500 SEC. Both Classy stuff.

Very very cool, nice catch David and a proper gold ole engine in there. I bet it sounds awesome wound up. If I didn't get the 968 I was dead set on getting one of the latter M5's with the nurburgring pack, on balance we are very happy now with the 968, mrs NJH loves it. Still have that nagging desire for a bit of M badge action though.

Think you mean an E34, like the one in Ronin? I had one of the later 6-speed ones a few years ago, it was a bit rough around the edges cosmetically but still managed to get me from London to Aberdeen in just over 8 hours!

Talking about Senna, here's a recent eBay Merc - and a rather unusual one - that was supposedly one of his

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 3D1&_rdc=1

BMW any day of the week... have had several over the years, currently have a Z3 M Coupe and we've decided on an E46 Touring for the wife's car (just got to find the right one now!)

Never ever considered a Merc, they simply don't float my boat in any shape or form...

Much closer in the pole than I expected though!

Master

Think you mean an E34, like the one in Ronin? I had one of the later 6-speed ones a few years ago, it was a bit rough around the edges cosmetically but still managed to get me from London to Aberdeen in just over 8 hours!

Talking about Senna, here's a recent eBay Merc - and a rather unusual one - that was supposedly one of his

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 3D1&_rdc=1
    Yes E34, I was always a little worried about the potential for big bills on the earlier cars but friends of mine warned me of the same on the E34 anyways. Senna seemed to have a string of MB's back then, loads of stories though of him tooling around in an SEC. I can understand it in some regards, after all if you are a driving God and racing all the time, when on the road you would likely just want to waft from one place to the next.

Oh and Ronin of course famous for the Audi S8 amongst many other things.

Hmmmm,gullwing for me :mrgreen:

Master

Go for it, they're fabulous. Makes you realise how much fun driving used to be :)

Here's my daily driver - 325 Sport in Granite Silver.

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by benny.c
    Go for it, they're fabulous. Makes you realise how much fun driving used to be :)

Me too in this colour with the same MTech kit and red leather, i fancy one as a weekend car. Yours looks mint.

I drive a 3 series coupe now and love it so BMW for me.

Absolutely wonderful E30 that :wink: :D

Craftsman

I drive a 5 series, and that has been bulletproof, 146k on it with only a alternator and a radiator (last week) that were not service items. It will be for sale in 54k if anyones tempted...

Anyway, anyone in the market for a new Mercedes should go the "Personal collection" route - me and a mate picked up a B-class (don't all jealously leer at once :lol: ) from Rastatt on tuesday, flown out, put up for the night and given the full tour the next morning. Highly reccomended.

I had a D reg 325i like that in zinnober rot. Certainly one of the best cars I've driven but I never managed to stop it "pinking" under strong acceleration.

Eddie

Craftsman

Love the 325i Sport, many years ago I had a 316i that looked a bit like a sport...I was young and insuring a 325i would have been a nightmare.
    Currently driving an E36 328i Sport as my daily driver, but would go back to an E30 in a heartbeat. :)

Master

:twisted:

You know how to make someone jealous!

Master

Quote Originally Posted by DiXoN
    Me too in this colour with the same MTech kit and red leather, i fancy one as a weekend car. Yours looks mint.

I drive a 3 series coupe now and love it so BMW for me.
    Yeah I like the colour, and Dolphin /Lachs too. Not so sure about red interior though - this Merc W202 is currently listed on Pistonheads with a 'stunning red interior'...

No question on this model: If ever there are BMW's worth collecting etc this is one of them. They can reach good money if kept well and is far from been "Chav" .

I can imagine some serious buyers wanting that .It looks the best i have ever seen

Master

Bimmer for me.... :)