closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Quote my back door...

Quote my back door...

Can anyone give me some pointers on building costs?

I'm having considerable difficulty convincing my wife that she is about to waste the price of a new car on some new windows and doors from a supplier I don’t rate. She thinks they’re the business – I'm not convinced.

We do need new windows etc, but it’s been near impossible to get her to agree the spec. Anyhoo, we’ve now settled on various matters, but the quote that has come in from ‘her’ local joinery company is staggeringly big.

I've not yet been able to get an alternative quote on the same basis, but one item that would give me an insight, is the cost of supplying and fitting a new back door and frame which is listed as a separate item.

Can anyone give me an idea of how much it would cost? It’s a standard size half (single) glazed softwood door with a single panel in the bottom half, in a softwood frame. Cost of fitting including a coat of gloss – but not a new lock and furniture.

If it helps, our house is 20 years old, brick elevations and painted plaster internally, and plainly the back door is one item in a job where the workmen and materials will be on site

All help gratefully received!

Regards

David

Master

Re: Quote my back door...

Have a look in one of the DIY sheds, select a door you like the look of, and then pay a carpenter a half days wage (£100) to fit it.

Master

Roughly

Softwood door and frame £220
    Glass £40
    Various fixings and paint £50 it will need primer undercoat and a top coat
    Chippy to fit £150 - £200 they probably wont do all the painting

£500-£600 would be about right but labour could vary

About another £100 would get you a Upvc door which would be more secure and last longer than a softwood 1

Wooden replacement windows are hugely expensive and from what i have seen aint that great

Master

I'd say around £500 also. What's wrong with the old one? A decent joiner would be able to repair a tired door no problem. You'd be surprised what a good coat of paint will achieve too. That's if you prepare the timber correctly anyway.

Upvc will work out cheaper in the long run though.

Journeyman

I would fit a soft wood frame & door without furniture for £100, and that would be easy money made (it would be done in roughly a hour with a half decent joiner) :)

Local window company did my back door (oo-er) - PVC half-glass job, frame, eurolock, etc - for about £350 fitted incl. VAT recently, absolute bargain as they're cutting figures just now to keep the factory production line going.

Just avoid the likes of Everest at all costs - they quote ridiculous numbers. :wink:

Master

Amazing low price!

We just bought a house (25 years old) and I have to replace all the windows. After several quotes the price for 6 windows+entrance door+patio door was... 9,000 CAD. :shock:

And I still need to replace the back door+garage door+4 more windows but didn't have enough money for this year. :?

Master

Quote Originally Posted by GraniteQuarry
    £350 fitted incl. VAT
    I've got to say that really sounds unbelievably cheap :shock:

Be slightly wary of softwood frames if set into the external cill/threshold.

Costs will vary with quality and location (because of labour costs) but I would have thought £500 should be about right for a local tradesman running a real business.

All very helpful indeed.

The quote was £840 + vat (£966) which I thought was a bit heavy.

I'll get a few more quotes I think!

Regards

David

Mine was done by one of the two big local manufacturers - total job was door and seven UPVC windows (all large) for £3700 on the nose, fitted and VAT'd - they basically made some profit off the manufacture and nowt on the fitting!

BTW i'm in property development (although this was a private job), so i suppose i screwed them into the ground on price, i think the opening quote was £4400 IIRC.

Result :D

Quote Originally Posted by adrian
    Amazing low price!

We just bought a house (25 years old) and I have to replace all the windows. After several quotes the price for 6 windows+entrance door+patio door was... 9,000 CAD. :shock:

And I still need to replace the back door+garage door+4 more windows but didn't have enough money for this year. :?

Yes, we're well known here in the UK for being unbelievably good value :lol: :lol: :lol:
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.