closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Three years and two months...

Three years and two months...

that's how long my Planet Ocean lasted. Shame really.

Just two months after the warranty expired the PO gave up the ghost, well to be fair I put it on the side table and when I woke in the morning it recorded the time of it's very own nightmare. 1.20am.

That said the nice man at my dealers said he would appeal to Omega's better nature...do they have one?
    So off it went a couple of days ago.

I'll let you all know how it goes and whether Omega really do have a 'warm fuzzy' moment for their customers.

:)

T

Master

Re: Three years and two months...

What were the symptoms??? :shock:

Just wouldn't go?? :cry:

Funny rattling noise?? :cry:

Anything out of the ordinary?? :evil:

Or Just stopped

no funny noises or rattles.
    It just stopped, if I shook it a bit it would run for a few seconds.
    Oddly though I thought I'd give it a little wind, but it was fully wound..

T

Master

Shame :(

Please really do let us know about how 'warm and fuzzy' Omega actually are.

FWIW someone I know with a Vauxhall had the turbo go 600 miles outside of of warranty and is awaiting the same kind of news. Let's hope they are interested in your brand loyalty :blackeye:

Sod's law, consider those 2 months a bonus :roll:
    "I looked with pity not untinged with scorn upon these trivial-minded passers-by"

Journeyman
    Sydney, Australia; London, United Kingdom

Sorry to hear this

I think there was a problem with the 2500C movement that Omega never owned up to. I have seen a lot of watches from the 2006 period with issues. My PO packed up the same way in 2007 after a year of ownership. Kept stopping overnight and wouldn't hold a charge.

Was fixed under warranty has been great since. I have not heard of any problems on the ones since 08.

If I was you I would be pretty assertive with the Omega service centre. They should fix it as it seems to be a common fault.

Grand Master Scottishtrunkmonkey's Avatar

That blows :( Let us know the outcome
    Respect the past, live the present, protect the future

I'll certainly report back. It does seem that the early watches have a bit of an issue.
    With that in mind I will most definatly do my best to labour that point should they try to hold out on me.

That just leaves me with my Speedmaster Moonphase to wear :) , wish I had bought in on a bracelet now, not the alligator and deployment.

oh well :)

T

You may want to try getting some advice from Consumer Direct re your warranty and Sale of Goods Act. I recently had a major problem with Harrods over my faulty Ebel and, armed with advice from Consumer Direct, was able to get a brand new replacement.

Your warranty is seperate to your rights under the Sale of Goods Act. My understanding is that any purchase you make should be "fit for purpose" and of reasonable quality.

I would therefore suggest that a two grand Planet Ocean should be lasting considerably more than three years and you may still have rights in terms of getting it repaired at no cost.

Phone Consumer Direct, they are extremely helpful (08454 040506) and explain the circumstances. Then armed with the information or better still ammo in your favour go back to the AD you bought it from and quote the conversation you had and the Sale of Goods Act and I wouldnt be at all surprised if things turn around to your favour.

Hope you get something sorted

Grand Master

That's unlucky.
    In my experience, mechanical watches very rarely decide to stop working if they've run OK for a long period of time, especially a fairly new one. Could it have been dropped from a height then replaced without you knowing.....just a thought?

Good luck with your claim,

Paul

Finally I got the PO back! Ok it's not as bad asit seems it was actually ready for collection in January.
    The only issue I had was the Omega was in Bristol area and I have now moved to the Kent downs 8)
    Fraser Hart sent the PO to their Bluewater shop for me to collect, which helped somewhat.

So what happened to the PO?

As you may have just read the PO just stopped working, just like that, stopped after three years and two months.

Omega seemed to be decent about the whole issue and said they would service the watch for free.
    Well that was until they had it for a while :roll:

The assistant at the AD rang me and said Omega had decided not to service the watch for free anymore as the PO had been heavily abused! How odd I thought.

I decided to cut out the AD and call omega and have a chat, they were decent about it and said there were clear signs of abuse. Somewhat bemused with this description I asked for a photo graph of the abused omega, actually at this point I fully expected to see a picture of someone elses watch.

The picture arrived and showed my watch, so I zoomed in to view the abuse :) . Yup there it was alright a tiny nick in the case just above the HE valve. So we had a few conversations about the definition of abuse, we never managed to agree sadly.

They did agree to examine the watch internally, they found no damage. But hit me with, 'the impact that caused the nick dislodged the lubrication and thats why the PO stopped'. Is that even possible?

Well, by now I wanted to get my PO back home and agreed to pay £216 for a full service and case, bracelet refinish.

So I have the PO back, the refinish was very good and to be honest the PO has been running very well. I set it about mid Jan by the radio PIPs, I have worn it every day and currently by todays pips its about two seconds fast.

Tim

Hmmm - I think if they say thy are going to do it for free they bloody well should have done - Should have looked at the watch before saying anything!
    It's just a matter of time...

Firstly glad to hear you've for your PO back (after 4 months!) but very sad to hear how Omega dealt with it... "abuse" and condition is such a matter of opinion, I guess they expect a 3+ year old watch to be immaculate do they?!!

What if it had still been under the original warranty... would they have still pulled the "abuse" card?

Excellent that you got it back, blows that it cost you though :?
    Cheers

Simon

Ralph Waldo Emerson: We ask for long life, but 'tis deep life, or noble moments that signify. Let the measure of time be spiritual, not mechanical.

For your viewing pleasure..
    I had to shrink the image somewhat.

:lol:

It's supposed to be a watch fit for diving and a tiny little dink is too much for it? I would consider that to be a misrepresented product, unfit for use. In all seriousness, someone might put their life in the hands of this watch, and if it can't take a bit of a knock, then it isn't fit for purpose.

At least you have it back though, although it would feel sullied for me.

Andy

Quote Originally Posted by Timw
    dislodged the lubrication
    Makes it sound as though it fell off in a big chunk :lol:

Oh well, glad you now have it back.
    "I looked with pity not untinged with scorn upon these trivial-minded passers-by"

They did agree to examine the watch internally, they found no damage. But hit me with, 'the impact that caused the nick dislodged the lubrication and thats why the PO stopped'. Is that even possible?
    Load of old rubbish IMO.

I believe there could be an issue with the 2500C as quite a few have stopped working and Omega are probably quietly fixing them.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Grand Master

Well, by now I wanted to get my PO back home and agreed to pay £216 for a full service and case, bracelet refinish.
    That's a shame. Not long ago I sent a Breitling in six months out of warranty for a slipping cannon pinion, and it was covered in nicks and scratches. Not only did they repair it for free inside two weeks, they serviced it, and gave it a polish. Omega UK's service doesn't impress me much, but as I don't much like 'em, I won't be bothering 'em :)
    ...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!

Master

like most other people here, I I'm pretty shocked about the service actually :shock: ...wouldnt expect that from a big brand name, that prides itself on quality and service. I mean, in the retail world, I've had people bring back 5 month old jeans or shoes and demanded they get their money back because they felt it didn't meet their expectations for quality and they did the get the money back. The reason being, that these companies have told retailers to take more or less anything back without too many questions, to uphold their relations with customers (im talking about 'expensive' brands here). The last thing I would expect, as a customer, is to be is accused for 'abusing' my purchased good, which just sounds like lawer talking for - we're cutting costs :twisted:

shame, but at least you now have you PO back and working! :D

is this the regular or the chronograph?

You should have pulled out the Bond card. Mr Bond has been shot at, jumped from buildings, been in explosions etc etc...

Are Omega saying their products, that they place in the action movies, are fit for action or not?

Chris

Master

Quote Originally Posted by chrisparker
    You should have pulled out the Bond card. Mr Bond has been shot at, jumped from buildings, been in explosions etc etc...

Are Omega saying their products, that they place in the action movies, are fit for action or not?

Chris
    An excellent point I think! :D

That Stinks! I'd be tempted to say that it was their manufacturing/assembly process that was at fault, allowing a 'foreign body' that was large or dense enough to disrupt the movement loose inside the case...

Are they just being a little bit elitist?

G

Master

Not what you expect from a high end brand

'the impact that caused the nick dislodged the lubrication and thats why the PO stopped'
    Sounds like total pish to me (as a mechanical engineer) and not very befitting of a watch that is arguably aimed at professional saturation divers with the WR and He escape valve.

For give my total ignorance but is it s 3 year warranty with the PO? I had always assumed it was 2 years...?

Master

Its very poor show of Omega to sell a full service rather than fixing the fault for free. They would have ended up with your money anyway in a few years time. Or they could have offered a free repair and the option to service at reduced cost. At the end something like this will always backfire.
    One needs to be aware that most of the finer mechanical movements are not really suited for what they are being advertised and sold for. My old neighbor in Switzerland, (retired independent watchmaker) is of the opinion that the modified 2892 ETA based movements Omega and IWC use are good time keepers but too delicate for the job in sports watches. Especially the springs are supposed to be fragile when exposed to shocks. (He also thinks that modern JLC movements are some of the finest made machines but not fit to serve in tool watches) He is not a modern Rolex fan either but in his opinion they are the only ones fit to serve as tools with their strong springs and free sprung adjustable-inertia balances.) The only watch manual that I can recall that advertises its product can be used for sports activities and its warranty covers the use during, is the Orient Star 300m saturation diver.

Bigd, yup its a three year warrenty on all the co axials I believe.
    Its a non chrono PO...someone asked.

I just tried to dig out all my emails for you guys to have fun reading, but they dont make a huge amount of sense as half the conversation was on the phone.

At the time I just wanted the PO back, but reading some of the comments I think I should have pushed alot harder.
    In the mails I sent I did raise the issue of early PO's having lubrication issues, oh well.lesson learnt in some resepcts.

The PO is a fab watch, but I am a bit miffed to be honest as I thought I was buying something very solid that would last many years. Perhaps I should just go get my self ten G-shocks? :)

The more I look the more I like the Sinn's (Well that and the JLC Master C), they do look tough, any recomendations for watches that have been proven hard wearers? (Not like i'm even hard on them to be honest).

T

Master

This totally sucks! Your treatment by Omega is truly awful. The mark on the wtach is nothing! And if they are saying it was enough to cause the watch to stop then what does that say about the faith they have in the durability of their product??? So a watch that Omega markets as one of their top of the line Sport watches cant take a little whack here and there??? :shock:

I must say I'm very surprised Omega behaved in this way. That watch is supposed to be able to go through the worst of abuse on offer! As someone already said, I'd play the Bond card, that thing survived shootings, expolsions, car crashes and countless fist fights. Now you say a tiny dink has sent it over the edge? The early problems concerning the Co-axial movement are well known, they should have been much more forthcoming than that, poor show!

Grand Master

The more I look the more I like the Sinn's (Well that and the JLC Master C), they do look tough, any recomendations for watches that have been proven hard wearers? (Not like i'm even hard on them to be honest).
    Something with an ETA 2824? Sinn 656, for example, or Breitling Superocean. Watch snobs scoff at this movement because they're cheaper, older and less refined (however you might define that), but the parts in it are bigger/thicker and the movement is generally more robust. The movement is also thicker as a whole, but that's totally irrelevant given the size of the watches they always end up in.

I do think you had some bad luck, and that in general, the problem rests with the crap service rather than the fundamentals of the watch. Next time, go in with both barrels blazing away, full throttle, both feet first, 100%, and take no prisoners (or indeed, any other cliches you can think of). It's the only way to get things done when surrounded by aggressive mindlessness.

Quote Originally Posted by andrew
    Something with an ETA 2824? Sinn 656, for example, or Breitling Superocean. Watch snobs scoff at this movement because they're cheaper, older and less refined (however you might define that), but the parts in it are bigger/thicker and the movement is generally more robust. The movement is also thicker as a whole, but that's totally irrelevant given the size of the watches they always end up in.

I do think you had some bad luck, and that in general, the problem rests with the crap service rather than the fundamentals of the watch. Next time, go in with both barrels blazing away, full throttle, both feet first, 100%, and take no prisoners (or indeed, any other cliches you can think of). It's the only way to get things done when surrounded by aggressive mindlessness.

Time to go and look at a Sinn, for days when the outdoors call.

I hear what you're saying about the both barrels, gun ablazin, they dont like it up em approach :lol: and If Im honest I'd like to do that on occasion, but ultimatly its not my bag to get too het up about what amounts to trivial things. I do love my watches but would I get to shouting, probably not, the most likly thing is I just wont buy another new Omega.

(With any luck the PO will be fine from now on :) )

Now where are these Sinn AD's then? :lol:

T

Grand Master

I hear what you're saying about the both barrels, gun ablazin, they dont like it up em approach :lol: and If Im honest I'd like to do that on occasion, but ultimatly its not my bag to get too het up about what amounts to trivial things. I do love my watches but would I get to shouting, probably not, the most likly thing is I just wont buy another new Omega.
    They are trivial, but a watch like this is typically the third most expensive item you'll buy behind a car or a house (or, another watch :)). It used to be TVs and whitegoods, but now they're all ten-a-penny. And although I do prefer to take the high road, I do get riled by people trying to hustle me; having to cough up for the lot just two months out of warranty and what sounds like a outright lie (that the dink is clear evidence of abuse) would boil my blood these days. Firm, unwavering politeness in the face of such evasiveness just doesn't work here any more.

This is VERY POOR of omega :shock: :shock: :shock: ... i bought my father a 2500c equipped aqua terra and same thing happened out of warranty.. my fathers watch was really bashed about, with dings and scuffs everywhere.. looked like a 10 yr old watch!!! :shock: :shock: :shock: .. he wears it all the time for all actibvities,, and omega fixed it free.. a year later this happened again.. ie watch suddenly stopped (ie 4 1/2 years after buying it) and again they serviced it for free with a complete refurb.

I recently bought a GMT IIC off the forum, which developed a fault after a 2 months of purchase that was 2 months out of warranty and again rolex dealt with the problem for free.

Crikey! now I really do feel like I should have manned up a bit.
    Lesson learnt I think, If there is a next time Ill be nice until its time not to be nice.

(Just need to work on my 'Guns ablazin' approach, I might run it past the wife and see how long I last :lol: )

T