closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Of Brands & VFM

Of Brands & VFM

Of Brands & VFM

I am minded to respond to several post here on TZ-UK recently. I think that this is a response to the Flying Banana's 'Semi-Rant on Own Gullability', and whoever it was that wrote 'Watches That Are Worth The Money', plus the recent thread about watches for 'smaller' wrists. So this is both a mini-review and a rant.

May I present the case for the no-name and little respected Seiko-owned brand Lorus. It is easy to be led into thinking that anything less than four figures is somewhat infra-dig on this place; especially when we have people regularly slagging such great brands as Seiko and Oris, seemingly just because their watches don't have the right name on the dial.

A few Saturdays ago, I bought my son a £25 Lorus from Argos (In my defence, no-one else seems to be selling this model!). It is military in style, day/date with full lume dial. And believe me, it glows like a good 'un.

Stainless steel case, WR to 100m and a nylon fabric strap. Twenty-five flippin' quid! It has been on sale before for only £19! I'll let the pics do the talking: it is 36.5mm diameter, 39mm including the crown, 43mm lug to lug.

Pics modelled by my son who is very excited at having is watch published in the forum!

Later on, in H. Samuel, whilst buying a Citizen chrono for my daughter (that's why I was shopping in the first place), I spotted another Lorus. Lovely cream coloured dial, old style mil hands and Titanium case, WR to 100m and its not even a diver's watch, for only £40! Well that was me sorted, couldn't resist. If this thing had a red tipped seconds hand, it would be perfect. Same strap design as the £25 Lorus but a slightly different olive-green colour and slightly thicker. Case design is similar to the cheaper watch, with both cases being about 8mm thick with glass crystals. Both cases are flawlessly finished.

Now, the VFM on these two watches is simply off the scale, yet I suspect many here will not touch them with a bargepole simply due to the name on the dial. There is a lot of enjoyment and satisfaction to be had at under £100, and a heck of a lot more disappointment to be had over £1000. Just look at the flipping on SC if you need convincing.

Perhaps the expectations are so much greater, and given the amount of 'Itch I've got to scratch' purchases, forum membership should entitle you to a 'Pets 'R' Us' discount voucher for some flea powder! Only one brand seems to regularly attract this BS phrase though.

This is where the cheaper watches really score. How can a £25 watch really disappoint? OK, the nylon strap is a bit scratchy, but I've bought NATOs from a certain other online dealer (not Eddie!) that cost me £10 and were scratchier and much thinner. I've been wearing the watch regularly most evenings since purchase and the strap seems to be wearing in a little; not quite so scratchy any more. So, don't overlook the cheaper stuff, it has a lot going for it and may turn out to be one of your most satisfying purchases. :D

Re: Of Brands & VFM

Nice. I like both and would happily wear either. I have a few Timex (Expeditions, one digital that cost £20 and an Ironman) and felt the same way. Awesome build quality, looks and accuracy for the price.

For me, the Seiko 5 has to take the ultimate prize. Not much more expensive - classic designs, lots of choice and auto to boot. Don't give a crap about hand-winding or hacking. Run for ever - almost - and no bloody batteries!

Journeyman

Yes, both these watches are great value for money.

I have the one with the full lume dial and it's cheap enough to allow my 10 year old daughter to wear it.

I've also a Pulsar with a dark green dial which can be found for about £50 which is almost identical to the second watch. It's in the style of the early Marathon mil watches.

Nice. My brother in law has worn quite a few of those.

Blog Entries

As for VFM my daily wearers were these 2 until ~2years ago

ESPRIT bought for £15 from TJHughes ! (I was a student at the time)
    WR to 50m
    Still really like the look - even though it's a bit beaten up now

Seiko Kinetic Titanium bought for about £70 (bought 'cos I didn't like getting fleeced for a battery change on the ESPRIT :) )
    WR to 100m

Both Excellent VFM imho

Grand Master

VFM is dependent on many things, so can be as easily applied to a Seiko as to a Rolex .. for me VFM is all about the pleasure & wrist time that I get from a watch. If I spent £200 on a watch which never got any wrist time & £2k on a watch which did, then the £200 has poor VFM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gruntfuttock
    .. especially when we have people regularly slagging such great brands as Seiko and Oris, seemingly just because their watches don't have the right name on the dial.
    Never noticed that, in fact I'd say that both marquees are well respected here ..
    /vince ..

I completely agree with the previous post. I have often regretted smallish purchases simply because they dont get worn and that represents terrible value. I love finding a new brand that saves money on advertsing and passes it on to their customers.

Journeyman

I picked up one of these Lorus off ebay to use as a beater when I'm cycling or playing tennis, I think it cost £15 and has performed great.

VFM should be measured by the use and enjoyment you get out of the watch not what you paid.
    By the same token there are people that buy the brand but if they use and enjoy the item its VFM.

looks like excellent VFM