closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Carbon neutral IWC

Craftsman

Carbon neutral IWC

I spotted this in yesterday's Sunday Times, a laudable concept...or at least a justification for price hikes? The last line made me laugh too, but it's not soemthing I wish to dwell on!
    http://business.timesonline.co.uk/to...cle6832250.ece

Re: Carbon neutral IWC

Sexy and watchmaker don't go together ... :twisted:

Not even ol' George can't pul it off. :P

Look out for his next movie "The Men Who Stare At Goats"

http://www.veoh.com/browse/videos/categ ... 6EYfhFmWa#

john
    "Owning one is almost as satisfying as making one." ~ Rolex 1973

Grand Master

This bit is particularly gash:

"Georges Kern, chief executive of the watchmaker IWC, is not a typical climate-change evangelist. He drives a sports car, wears designer suits, eats veal and doesn’t think twice about jetting off for holidays. His Swiss company’s approach to the environment is not entirely conventional, either."

What do they mean, "either"? Weasel words, or just poorly written fluff. Their CEO sounds like every other CEO on the planet, which is to say, not very "green" at all.

They were right about him sounding a bit smug, though :blackeye:

If you want a greener future for our children and our children's children, invest in a cleantech business, or start one of your own. If you want everyone to know just how damn ecologically aware you are, you can buy this IWC. It will go well with the Prius - they can offset the garageful of thirsty, dirty exotica tucked around the back. You can even wave it in people's faces at parties so they are in no doubt as to your green credentials :roll:
    ...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!

How carbon neutral is the smelting of the steel they use? Where do they buy it from?

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne
    How carbon neutral is the smelting of the steel they use? Where do they buy it from?
    Smelting schmelting :)

I think they bought a few carbon credits and passed the cost right through to the consumer. A few sunblinds, using a local water supply for machine water-cooling - wow, edgy - and restricting parking to all but senior management* is not "green", it's "token". But much of being green is "do as I say, not as I do" anyway.

* We can be sure the CEO uses his "sports car" (sic) to get to work, and not the bus like his minions
    ...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!

Master

A fully air-conditioned building in Switzerland, and he says it's energy-efficient? All the other gadgets are just gimmicks unless he tries not to use air-conditioning in the first place. And in places like Switzerland, it's entirely possible (in fact, relatively easy, without complicated technologies)!