closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FAO: Small Wristies!

FAO: Small Wristies!

If you're wearing a watch smaller than 38mm, please post here!

Ever since joining, viewtopic.php?f=1&t=54616, I've been on the hunt for a new automatic... without too much luck.

- I eventually ruled the Longines out for being too dressy: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=63348
    - Thought I finally found the one but when I tried on the Oris it was either too big or too small! viewtopic.php?f=1&t=87733
    - Am currently looking into a 36.2mm Omega Aqua Terra: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=86756
    - Also currently considering the Sinn 556 but have the familiar doubts over its size!

To give an idea of how small my wrists are, anything with a lug/bracelet width of 20mm or more is generally too big , 19mm (rare) and 18mm are pretty much spot on. With regards to case size, 36m-37mm are again spot on (depending on lug length!!)

I'm aware that the ladies on gents on this forum are particularly inclined towards the tool/diver/big/chunky watches but suggestions for all tastes are welcomed.

Reason for this post? Hoping there are people in the same boat as me - lets see what you have :lol: Or am I just being too picky with my criteria and budget (>£1k)...

Many thanks,
    cman

Re: FAO: Small Wristies!

Have a look at the Longines Spirit. Comes in black or white dials, and in 36 and 40mm sizes. I used to have the 36mm in white and it was a very nice watch (18mm lugs as well).
    Dave E

Skating away on the thin ice of a new day

Craftsman

Look at the Rolex Airkings, datejusts etc. I think they are or were 34mm until slightly larger versions in recent times.

Click on the 'return to timefactors' at the top of the page and take a look at the PRS53 auto - could be right up your street, and 18mm lugs to boot!

I regularly wear 33 to 38mm watches, not because my wrists are particularly small; but there is nothing wrong with my eyesight, I am not a fashion victim and I don't feel the need to wear something the size of a clay pigeon on my wrist.

I generally prefer manual wind - so wear vintage Smiths (33mm), a LIP Nautic Ski (36mm) or a Shturmanskie (33mm) or a Cartier Santos (28mm, excl. the crown). I am pretty sure my next purchase will be a vintage Air King at 34mm.

7" wrist and don't like much over 38mm. 35-37mm preferred.

+1 for the PRS-53. Get one NOW while you still can! Others off the top of my head...

Midsize IWC Classic Pilots IW325601 - 34mm
    Grand Seiko Automatic SBGR001 - 35mm
    Grand Seiko Manual winding SBGW001 - 36mm
    Seiko Spirit SCVS013/015 - 37mm
    Omega Seamaster 300M - 2253.80 - 36mm
    Omega De Ville Chronometer - 4861.31.32 - 35mm
    Rolex Explorer I - 36mm

...and not forgetting Seiko 5. Many are around 36mm. Lots of styles and cheap as chips but worth many times the price.

Thanks for the replies thus far

Quote Originally Posted by Dave E
    Have a look at the Longines Spirit. Comes in black or white dials, and in 36 and 40mm sizes. I used to have the 36mm in white and it was a very nice watch (18mm lugs as well).
    Size wise (and price wise) that looks spot on. Looks wise however...

Quote Originally Posted by benshep
    Look at the Rolex Airkings, datejusts etc. I think they are or were 34mm until slightly larger versions in recent times.
    For less than 1k? Whilst I'm sure a Rolex would fit superbly... don't think the bank manager would be too happy.

Quote Originally Posted by SimonK
    I regularly wear 33 to 38mm watches, not because my wrists are particularly small; but there is nothing wrong with my eyesight, I am not a fashion victim and I don't feel the need to wear something the size of a clay pigeon on my wrist.
    Thank you! I totally agree. It just so happens I have small wrists too!

Quote Originally Posted by Geralt
    7" wrist and don't like much over 38mm. 35-37mm preferred.

+1 for the PRS-53. Get one NOW while you still can! Others off the top of my head...

Midsize IWC Classic Pilots IW325601 - 34mm
    Grand Seiko Automatic SBGR001 - 35mm
    Grand Seiko Manual winding SBGW001 - 36mm
    Seiko Spirit SCVS013/015 - 37mm
    Omega Seamaster 300M - 2253.80 - 36mm
    Omega De Ville Chronometer - 4861.31.32 - 35mm
    Rolex Explorer I - 36mm

...and not forgetting Seiko 5. Many are around 36mm. Lots of styles and cheap as chips but worth many times the price.
    Thanks very much for taking the time to provide the list. I always tend to stay away from Seiko and Precista, unfortunately neither attract me. The IWC you mention does however! Looks expensive but will look out for second hand ones. It does look a bit 'hardcore' for everyday (i.e. suit during the day) use but like the Sinn 556, it could well work. The Omega De Ville and Rolex Explorer ranges are both nice, both commanding a hefty sum of cash too!! grrr...

Its nice to know I'm not alone in preferring (or in my case, being restricted to) watches in 35mm-37mm.

Master

Some smaller autos I happen to have..

Seiko Riki Watanabe @ 36.8mm

Pic on loan from Seiya-san, in general Seiko makes mostly smaller watches but of course the huge ones are mostly in favor here ;)

SM120 "baby PloProf" @ 39mm (small for ME, SWMBO wears it)

Some other ideas:

Seamaster midsize @ 36mm

What about a Speedmaster reduced ??? 18mm lug width, 39mm though I think ?

Cheers

Simon

Ralph Waldo Emerson: We ask for long life, but 'tis deep life, or noble moments that signify. Let the measure of time be spiritual, not mechanical.

I have one of these, which is 38mm
    http://www.higuchi-inc.com/crystal.html
    this is mine.

quite cheap too,
    some more Japanese options
    http://www.seiyajapan.com/product/S-SCV ... VS013.html
    http://www.seiyajapan.com/product/S-SAR ... RB027.html
    quite a lot of small Sekio's at Seiya

There is always good vintage watches too.

Quote Originally Posted by cman
    Thanks very much for taking the time to provide the list. I always tend to stay away from Seiko and Precista, unfortunately neither attract me. ...
    You're welcome. But why stay away from Seiko?

Seiko Spirit SCVS013. What's not to like????

Journeyman

Consider some of the older (and smaller) JLCs. I have 6" wrists too, and 36-39mm is my ideal size. Here's my Master Compressor Automatic:

If you don't like the Compressor series then you can look at the older Master Control series e.g. the Master RDM, the Master Moon etc

Kind regards

The rule I try to follow is that the lugs shouldn't overhang my wrist, which given my wrist is 73/4" gives me a little leeway but one Titus hummer I bought, a 70s model when you'd think they were all small, manages to be too big, lengthways at least.

Master

I think you should really consider some of the vintage offerings such as a Gallet, Omega, Universal Geneve Tri-Compax, Enicar and many others. I think you'll find an exceptional value for your money and alot of the same modern styling but more choices in smaller sizes

If you like the look of the Sinn 556, definitely try one. Despite the width being 38mm, it wears smaller than expected.

The watch that comes to mind is the Rolex Explorer - 36mm and perfect dial.

Another great watch was the IWC Mark XII - 36mm with JLC movement, although it might be hard tracking a used one down.

Quote Originally Posted by dutchgray
    I have one of these, which is 38mm
    http://www.higuchi-inc.com/crystal.html
    this is mine.

quite cheap too,
    some more Japanese options
    http://www.seiyajapan.com/product/S-SCV ... VS013.html
    http://www.seiyajapan.com/product/S-SAR ... RB027.html
    quite a lot of small Sekio's at Seiya

There is always good vintage watches too.

That's stunning! I really like that. Any chance of a wrist shot please? :)

Quote Originally Posted by mcdill
    Consider some of the older (and smaller) JLCs. I have 6" wrists too, and 36-39mm is my ideal size. Here's my Master Compressor Automatic:
    If you don't like the Compressor series then you can look at the older Master Control series e.g. the Master RDM, the Master Moon etc

Kind regards
    Oh believe me, I have looked at and admirted the JLCs for quite some time now. Along with a Zenith (Class Reserve De Marche Elite), the JLC sits at the very very top , of my wishlist. Its just out of budget. By a good 3k or so :shock:

Quote Originally Posted by oldandgrumpy
    If you like the look of the Sinn 556, definitely try one. Despite the width being 38mm, it wears smaller than expected.
    Very interesting.

I've seen it documented at 38.5mm. Presuming this measurement is WITHOUT crown, it pretty much rules it out. However if its 38mm incl crown, or even if it does wear smaller than expected, this is very good news. Then again, the lug width (of 20mm) is an indication of it potentially being too big. Do you have any pics which show good comparison (i.e. demonstrating it wearing smaller than it's size may suggest) ?

I would second the rolex datejust idea, vintage non-sports rolexes can be found for around £1000. Otherwise what about the Tudor version of the same thing? These are more like £300 from what i can see online.

I have also looked at Heuer Carreras.The original reissues based on the 1964 case came up at about 35-36mm and can be found as an automatic watch and automatic GMT and a handwound chronograph. The chronos are probably a bit over £1000 but the rest are comfortably below.

Here's a Concord Impresario with a Zenith Elite 682 GMT movement inside:

And here's a Longines Flagship (added a blue second hand):

And here's an Omega DeVille Small Seconds:

The regular Omega DeVille Prestige is about 36mm too

Craftsman

Love my vintage Seamaster 30

and Seiko Seahorse

Not sure about the sizes, though. :)

Omega double eagle co-axial -the bracelet is superb and so is the clasp -sapphire crystal caseback with a co-axial movment sporty and dressy!

Two years ago i was in the same situation as you wanted a 35-36mm auto watch choose this over a datejust! You can get them used for £1000

heres the one i sold (poor pics )

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=77598&hilit=omega+eagle

Master

I think my budget's a bit tighter than yours, but some observations and suggestions:

-Agree with the suggestions of Seiko Spirit and any Omega mid-sized
    -have a Sinn 556--no wrist shot, unfortunately. It is indeed 38.5 w/o crown but wears modestly if on the bracelet, which is tapered.
    -Orfina (Uhrenschmiede) Beobachtungsuhr (ref 6390 B)--37 mm but wears smaller than the PRS-53, 9mm thickness. Good substitute for the older IWCs. Big drawback: tritium, not Super Luminova. But a very nicely executed watch. Neil and Chronomaster has them.
    -Omega Dynamic III automatic from the 90s--beautiful watch, if idiosyncratic dial
    -Tutima has just discontinued some 36mm watches, but some may be available here and there.
    -You should be able to drum up a Tudor at 34 or 36mm for under 1K. Might be willing to part with my Tudor Prince Oysterquartz...

Hi
    I had a 36mm Omega Railmaster for a couple of years. It's a perfect size, fantastic lume and 19mm lug width. Well worth a look if you can find one. Wish I hadn't sold mine now!! :cry:

Go vintage! Get 10 watches for your £1k.

The only problem I have with the 556 is that there's no indicator for 12. If there was a triangle or double index there I'd have one in an instant.

I am having problems understanding just how small your wrists must be for an adult male. I've got slim wrist (it goes with my height... a mere 5'7 and I'm thin) but I can wear up to 45mm case watches. It's all down to
    1) how you wear the watch - if it's tight against the arm, it will look too big as there's a direct comparison but also...
    2) the design - if there's a thick, tapered bezel, it's a kind of optical illusion because the eyes are drawn to the smaller face. I have a 45mm watch that looks far too big because the bezel is 2mm wide so there's a lot of face area.

Master

:P Most of my watches are on what used to be the usual size, and now regarded by some as somewhat small(!)

Most of my collection is vintage, as I like them, and they also happen to be this size.

for GBP 1,000 you have much to choose from. Imho, JLC is special and some older models or even more contemporary would be enjoyable, however do note that servicing and spares can be dear.

Br,

AP. :)

The rule I try to follow is that the lugs shouldn't overhang my wrist
    I agree, I've got really skinny wrists but providing I can see some strap, I'm happy (45mm seems to be the absolute max).

A narrow lug to lug is a more important measurement to me than the width, also the width of the lugs seems to matter little as most straps taper.

I'm wearing a Tag super professional today which wears smaller than it's dimensions suggest.

Master

Vintage options abound. I've got a Rado purple horse that I really like, but that was only 60 quid or so so might be a bit cheap. Vintage Omega or Zenith should be easy to find, and you can get an Oyster or maybe a Datejust for £1k if you look around.

I find many 60s and 70s chronographs are a great size for me at c38mm.

Many great suggestions here. I have a soft spot for the Universal Geneve Polerouter range, but that could be stretching your budget.

Craftsman

I would second anyone who's mentioned vintage Omega. The quality of production back in the 60s and 70s was ridiculously high, and the watches tend to have a very classic, elegant charm about them. As always with vintage, condition is key, but there are good ones around...

One question - do you have a preference for case material, SS, gold, TT? Or open to suggestions?

Thanks,

Giles

Just scanned this thread so sorry if I missed it, but has nobody suggested Nomos? They do several watches in the 35 - 38mm range.
    I believe there is also a circa 36mm version of the Stowa Antea

HTH
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Master

How about one of these :D:

Apologies for the rubbish pic .

38.5mm but you know you can stretch to that :D

I'd be tempted to go vintage.

There's a classic design 1964 Rolex being sold by BDC on the sales forum at the moment?

Asking price is £875 and its 34mm across the dial.

If you bought it and decided it wasn't for you and wanted to move it on you shouldn't lose too much (if anything) on the deal

Another vote for speedie, I have a date which is for sale in sc

Here are some comparison shots of different watches, especially the Sinn 556

Longines Conquest : 35mm lug : 18mm
    PRS-10 37mm lug : 20mm
    PRS-53 37mm lug : 18mm
    Sinn 556 38.5mm lug : 20mm
    Seiko Bullet 42mm lug : 22mm

I've tried to get a selection of watches, at or below 38mm to take wrist shots of, apart from the Seiko as a comparison. The selection of shots shows how the bezel or lack of one effects the size on the wrist; this can be seen with the Seiko which doesn't wear large at all and the Longines which wears large.
    The Sinn may look bigger on the wrist than the others but this is mainly to the height in comparison to the others which are comparatively thin.
    Surprisingly, the PRS-53 wears quite big, mainly because of the length of the lugs and large distance lug tip to lug tip.

Hope this is of some use.

James

Quote Originally Posted by andy tims
    Just scanned this thread so sorry if I missed it, but has nobody suggested Nomos? They do several watches in the 35 - 38mm range.
    I believe there is also a circa 36mm version of the Stowa Antea

HTH
    What a coincidence! I was looking in Wempe's window today (quelle surprise) saw the Nomos display and thought 'that's it - the perfect solution to the OP's question'. Quite like the orange lume as well.

The new Nomos Clubs is well worth looking at. The smallest one of those is 36mm, I think.
    Dave E

Skating away on the thin ice of a new day

Quote Originally Posted by dutchgray
    That's stunning! I really like that. Any chance of a wrist shot please? :)
    Certainly

There is different dial colours if you look at the link.

Thanks Dutch, that's lovely. I saw the link and the blue is the best combination, though it wouldn't be a daily wearer. We need another blue thread.. :D

Many thanks for the replies thus far, the response has been far greater anticipated (I really thought you guys are into oversized watches only!). Here's a few responses.... do keep them coming!!

Kind regards
    I want that watch... :love4: :love4: :love4:

Quote Originally Posted by SplitSecond
    -have a Sinn 556--no wrist shot, unfortunately. It is indeed 38.5 w/o crown but wears modestly if on the bracelet, which is tapered.
    Yep, interested in the bracelet version. Still not sure about the size (as I said, the lugs are still 20mm). The only way to overcome this is to try it on. Considering hardly any (physical) shop stocks them, this is pretty difficult...

Quote Originally Posted by paddy1911
    Hi
    I had a 36mm Omega Railmaster for a couple of years. It's a perfect size, fantastic lume and 19mm lug width. Well worth a look if you can find one. Wish I hadn't sold mine now!! :cry:
    Definitely looking at these too. I think I prefer the Aqua Terra though!

Quote Originally Posted by Blapto
    Go vintage! Get 10 watches for your £1k.

The only problem I have with the 556 is that there's no indicator for 12. If there was a triangle or double index there I'd have one in an instant.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hobbes
    I'd be tempted to go vintage.
    I think the 'vintage' you refer to is simply tooooo vintage! I've subconsciously (!) ruled out watches older than 4 or 5 years old (typically). My girlfriend often refers to them as old man watches and wonder why they're in demand... :lol:

Quote Originally Posted by shadowninja
    I am having problems understanding just how small your wrists must be for an adult male. I've got slim wrist (it goes with my height... a mere 5'7 and I'm thin) but I can wear up to 45mm case watches.
    5'6 here, and very skinny, hence wrist size of just over 6". Stop laughing.

Quote Originally Posted by A.Pottinger
    :for GBP 1,000 you have much to choose from. Imho, JLC is special and some older models or even more contemporary would be enjoyable, however do note that servicing and spares can be dear.

Br,

AP. :)
    I thought I'd have much to choose from too. I think I may just be too picky. To own a JLC would be a dream. As mentioned before, it, along with Zenith sits at the top of the wishlist. IF money was no object....

Quote Originally Posted by GilesCooper78
    One question - do you have a preference for case material, SS, gold, TT? Or open to suggestions?

Thanks,

Giles
    SS is the preference but would consider TT too.
    As for the strap, a bracelet is preferred (simply because it would sit flush and 'wrap' my wrist) but a leather strap would also be considered (I understand that some watches just do look right with a bracelet)

Quote Originally Posted by uwtc
    How about one of these :D:

Apologies for the rubbish pic .

38.5mm but you know you can stretch to that :D
    If I knew I could stretch that far, I'd be a happy owner of a Sinn 556 right now :P ...just need to try one on first!! (somehow)

Here are some comparison shots of different watches, especially the Sinn 556

Longines Conquest : 35mm lug : 18mm
    Sinn 556 38.5mm lug : 20mm

Hope this is of some use.

James
    James, what can I say, your input really is appreciated. Many many thanks for taking the time to provide the comparison pics, big thumbs up!! I'm also glad you included a watch that i've tried and was very close to buying once upon a time, the Longines (albiet the newer version). That fitted perfectly. It was spot on. Will look into the 556 options further now, as it doesn't *look* substantially bigger.....

Hey, shorty, if you can, try wearing the watch a bit more loose than normal...

friend off mine (donnie brasco would say "friend off ours" he's a true WIS) has a cartier santos dumont chocolate. He's actually very big, but the watch is small and beatifull:

don't think it will be sub 1k dough

Master

Lug to lug is a key measurement for smaller wrists I think, and not always available. Square watches wear better sometimes.

Journeyman

Also consider the forthcoming Omega Seamaster Planet Ocean "mid sized / ladies" chronograph:

http://forums.timezone.com/index.php?t= ... 55&rid=750

This one is supposedly 38mm (which, apparently, is now a "women's" size.

Kind regards

Master

This is a vintage quartz in 21 mm case dia on a 18 mm zulu strap.

And this is the smallest chrono i got ,, the Fortis 34 mm cased 7750 eta .

My arm is a 6.5 incher and its all depend how you photograph it looks big.

Hans

Also consider the forthcoming Omega Seamaster Planet Ocean "mid sized / ladies" chronograph:

http://forums.timezone.com/index.php?t= ... 55&rid=750

This one is supposedly 38mm (which, apparently, is now a "women's" size.

Kind regards

Doesn't look too bad, hefty bezel though! 38mm is now considered a ladies size?? jeeez.... :roll:

Quote Originally Posted by jd
    Lug to lug is a key measurement for smaller wrists I think, and not always available.
    Yep, totally agree. I just wish this measurement was made available in manufacturer's specs!

Sounds to me like you ought to do your watch shopping at the same store as this little fella.

He seems to be wearing just what your after.......

:lol: :lol: :lol:

What if he doesn't like orange watches?

Master

The one "new" Rolex I would consider buying and wearing would be the Explorer I at 36mm. Now, if someone were to give me a Seadweller... well, I wouldn't want to hurt their feelings. :lol:

Quote Originally Posted by Mike K
    The one "new" Rolex I would consider buying and wearing would be the Explorer I at 36mm. Now, if someone were to give me a Seadweller... well, I wouldn't want to hurt their feelings. :lol:
    Yep, many Rolex's are nice, but one thing is for sure... I can't stand the ones with the cyclops date magnifier :?