closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: OT- which scuba regulator?

Grand Master
    Blog Entries

OT- which scuba regulator?

sooooo...... my 710 has decided to do her padi course and i would like to buy her her own set of regs, as i know a few of you scuba dive on a regular basis, and the last time i did scuba we used chromed spiro, can anyone recommend a decent set?

cheers
    mike :wink:

Re: OT- which scuba regulator?

Quote Originally Posted by seadog1408
    sooooo...... my 710 has decided to do her padi course and i would like to buy her her own set of regs, as i know a few of you scuba dive on a regular basis, and the last time i did scuba we used chromed spiro, can anyone recommend a decent set?

cheers
    What's the budget, Mike?

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries

no budget really ralphy, just want her to be safe, :lol:

Quote Originally Posted by seadog1408
    no budget really ralphy, just want her to be safe, :lol:
    You sweetie!

OK, budget-wise I'd suggest either Scubapro Mk11 Plus or Oceanic Alpha 8.

I see a lot of instructors/DL's wearing Scubapro, so that's a good indication of robustness and reliability; I've used Oceanic's products for years (currently on a T2X) and rate them highly for back-up - my primary concern with a reg as they are all now CE approved, so suitable for perpose i.e. saving your life!

My colleague John Bantin did a review in Diver mag earlier this year, I'll see if I can dig the article out.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries

thanks ralphy, will have a read up on those!!

cheers

Hi Mike,
    I bought a Mares "MR 42 Proton Metal" at the begining of 2007, and it's been great. Not the cheapest reg around but the performance is top dollar. Metal 2nd stage means it's good for cold water, but light in the mouth. Very light 1st stage which makes it good if you take it abroad, as baggage allowance seems to be falling all the time. If you opt for Din fitting you can save another lump of weight. I used this for a 48M dive in the red sea recently, and there was no drop off in performance at all.
    Quite a few good deals around at the moment too.
    ATB.
    Bazz

Another vote for Scubapro, but TBH there are a lot of decent quality stuff on the market.

I would avoid S/H unless you know the owner/history.

I would also avoid Poseidon - touted as high performance (which they generally are) but the servicing bills tend to be commensurate.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Hi Mike,
    sorry to sound callous but how about a B&Q Bucket and an L.P. whip to top up. Bucket diving used to be fun..... :twisted: :twisted:
    Seriously though the U.S. Divers gear was the kit to have the last time I blew some bubbles, not sure if that's still the case.
    Come on I'm sure that you can supply the good lady with some cool new kit that'll keep her safe and then you may even get to hold her hand, sub-sea of course.
    Best
    Clem

Another vote for Scubapro. They're pretty bullet proof and where ever you are in the world, there's always an agent nearby. I once scrounged a spare diaphragm for a Scubapro G250 reg from the bottom of a spares box on a liveaboard in the Maldives. It had been there years, but worked no problem.

Having said that, loads of people rave about Atomic Aquatics. They're basically Scubapro copies but with posh metal bits.

Cheers

The article I mentioned is online here:

http://www.divernet.com/Diving_Gear/...dget_regs.html

R

I've used Mares Abyss regs for the last 5 years and they're very good warm weather regs. Not budget price, but a very easy breath.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries

thanks for all the input, will look into all the ideas,

cheers

Master

I use an Aqualung Titan (newer series) and it has served me well. There was a recall of some earlier units some time ago though.