closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: It's amazing how much more watch savvy people are in Asia

Master

Re: It's amazing how much more watch savvy people are in Asia

Don't forget - Thailand is notorious for fakes - so you need to watch out.

Quote Originally Posted by Puller
    . Shall await KL on return.
    I don't know what the exchange rates are these days it's been a couple of years since I was last there but for watches Singapore was cheaper than KL and it's only a couple of hours down the road. When I bought my GMT and LV I compared priced in both places and got the better deal in Singapore plus loads more choice in Singapore.

Hey guys,

Just want to say hi to everyone here. I'm from singapore and asians are more exposed to timepieces now because the authorised agents have set up watch academy/classes to educate them. Speakers from various brands are flown in to talk about movements and etc.

Cheers

James

Quote Originally Posted by Puller
    went last night to number one shopping centre in Borneo.......called surprisingly "1BORNEO". quite new and not yet filled units. OK but one classy watch vendor. Usual suspects...Roly, Omegas,Longine,JLC...but also Ball, B&R, and some others....all very pricey. None tickled but was nice to see. Vendor kept staring at my GO....didnt know what it was. Not worth going to as rest was crap. Shall await KL on return.

Heyho..back to the sun...maybe some golf today !
    which part of borneo were you? brunei? miri? kuching? kota kinabalu?

yeah, nothing much in borneo really .... best place to shop for watches are still in Singapore and Hong Kong ... incidentally ... i'm in HKG now ... :P

Craftsman

When you see premium brand watches being worn in Asia by locals, 9 out of 10 are the genuine article. It is true that many fakes are manufactured in Asia but they are for tourists. Like many have said Asian people are very brand aware and they are experts at spotting fakes (they have to so they don't get conned). Also many people will not be seen dead in fake stuff because they know someone will spot the fake and think the worst of them. I am from Hong Kong and the HK girls I know with a bit of financial independence will be wearing a man-size auto. Subs, Panerais and Omegas POs are frequently spotted on female wrists. So it really is no surprise to see so many guys wearing top brand watches in that region.

Master

My experience in Japan (about 15 year ago now - I'm gettin' old) was that they were VERY brand aware. And like as others have said about HK, though you could get some fakes there, IF you were spotted with it by your peers or betters the lose of face would FAR outweigh any financial savings you gained. Plus, the japanese just plain like quality luxury goods.

Quote Originally Posted by Fishman
    When you see premium brand watches being worn in Asia by locals, 9 out of 10 are the genuine article. It is true that many fakes are manufactured in Asia but they are for tourists. Like many have said Asian people are very brand aware and they are experts at spotting fakes (they have to so they don't get conned). Also many people will not be seen dead in fake stuff because they know someone will spot the fake and think the worst of them. I am from Hong Kong and the HK girls I know with a bit of financial independence will be wearing a man-size auto. Subs, Panerais and Omegas POs are frequently spotted on female wrists. So it really is no surprise to see so many guys wearing top brand watches in that region.
    Hey there

I was just in HKG last week on biz and you're SPOT on about females and women wearing men-sized watches!!! Not only it looks great on them ... but it kinda make them look very 'premium'. Seen a few sporting Rolex Sub Dates and Non-dates, 1 with a SD (no joke!!!), and a handful on Explorers and GMTs.

Just go on the MTR (their mass rapid train system), and you'll spot many with huge/large brand watches ... and yes, many are BRAND CONSCIOUS! :P

Quote Originally Posted by TnT
    ....... 1 with a SD (no joke!!!), ....
    Probably her husband's. :P

... and I am not joking.

john
    THIN is the new BLACK

Master

Hey there

I was just in HKG last week on biz and you're SPOT on about females and women wearing men-sized watches!!! Not only it looks great on them ... but it kinda make them look very 'premium'. Seen a few sporting Rolex Sub Dates and Non-dates, 1 with a SD (no joke!!!), and a handful on Explorers and GMTs.

Just go on the MTR (their mass rapid train system), and you'll spot many with huge/large brand watches ... and yes, many are BRAND CONSCIOUS! :P
    First time I was introduced to women wearing men's size watches was in Italy in the early-early '90s - in Milan, and Sardinia ('92 or '93). Asked my italian friend, who was a late 20-something then, and she said that they'd been wearing them like that for a few years at that point. So I'd always assumed the rest of european women were wearing men's sized watches, at least for fashions sake, for at least a decade by now (everyone's always a few years behind the italians or french in fashion :wink: ).

I started noticing some of the models in asian ads for cars, beer, whiskies, golf clubs, etc. which I'd see in some of the asian language magazines at the barbershop I used to visit (can't read any asian languages so don't exactly pick them up to peruse on a regular basis, but they got some great car magazines - and watch magazines) wearing "big" watches at least 10 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by abraxas
    ....... 1 with a SD (no joke!!!), ....
    Probably her husband's. :P

... and I am not joking.

john
    wouldn't be surprise if it is ... who knows ... could be her sugar daddy's too .... :D

Quote Originally Posted by Mike K
    Hey there

First time I was introduced to women wearing men's size watches was in Italy in the early-early '90s - in Milan, and Sardinia ('92 or '93). Asked my italian friend, who was a late 20-something then, and she said that they'd been wearing them like that for a few years at that point. So I'd always assumed the rest of european women were wearing men's sized watches, at least for fashions sake, for at least a decade by now (everyone's always a few years behind the italians or french in fashion :wink: ).

I started noticing some of the models in asian ads for cars, beer, whiskies, golf clubs, etc. which I'd see in some of the asian language magazines at the barbershop I used to visit (can't read any asian languages so don't exactly pick them up to peruse on a regular basis, but they got some great car magazines - and watch magazines) wearing "big" watches at least 10 years ago.
    Honestly ... the trend of women in Asia wearing men's size watches picked up only a couple of years ago ... been seeing a few wearing Pams and other 44-47mm watches of all makes ...

Quote Originally Posted by Chairman LMAO
    <tongue firmly in cheek>
    whose exactly? .......

.....sorry, I'll get my coat....... :)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike K
    Hey there

Honestly ... the trend of women in Asia wearing men's size watches picked up only a couple of years ago ... been seeing a few wearing Pams and other 44-47mm watches of all makes ...
    Pam is now catching on real fast on the ladies...you can spot them from a distance..005, 104, 112 and even 312.