closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Another Longines - Unusual Vernier seconds Chronograph

Another Longines - Unusual Vernier seconds Chronograph

Hi All,

Continuing with my posts of the more 'unusual' watches in my collection - I thought you might be interested in seeing another one of my Longines Chronographs.

It has the very rare 'Vernier' extension on the second hand allowing timings to a 10th of a second.

I'ts amazing that the extra weight on the second hand seems to have had no effect on performance - the watch runs perfectly even though I suspect it was manufactured in the mid seventies.

Re: Another Longines - Unusual Vernier seconds Chronograph

My word, never seen the like of that before! :shock:

Looks in fabulous condition too.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

That's a great looking watch and the perfect candidate for a re-issue.

That is fantastic and I love that seconds hand. 8)

May I ask where you came across it?

Master

Another interesting and unusual watch :thumbup:

I may be wrong, and perhaps long-standing members will correct me, but I think your ten first posts are the most interesting ten first posts ever posted!

Another lovely piece I haven't seen before.

Keep up the good work. :)
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Impressive piece, too tired to guess how it works.....

Master

Quote Originally Posted by noiseboyuk
    It has the very rare 'Vernier' extension on the second hand allowing timings to a 10th of a second. I'ts amazing that the extra weight on the second hand seems to have had no effect on performance - the watch runs perfectly even though I suspect it was manufactured in the mid seventies.
    Could it be that the extra weight smooths out the (presumably) 1/5 sec steps of the seconds hand, to actually give about a 1/10 sec resolution?

Quote Originally Posted by angeche
    Impressive piece, too tired to guess how it works.....
    From RAF training (vernier calipers) in the 1950's, I did know how it works.

[really geeky thought . . ]

On the Wikipedia vernier scale page, there's link to an earlier method called "transversal" which would be far more suitable for a sweep seconds hand. Picture a dial with 60 radial lines going from the center out to the seconds markers and the seconds hand having 10 divisions marked along it's length!!

Thanks, Ted, now I understand.... :)

Creative use of the vernier scale indeed. Is it a high-beat movement (36000 bpm), which would make it accurate to 1/10s like say the El Primero would be?

Master

Quote Originally Posted by allaboutmusic
    Creative use of the vernier scale indeed. Is it a high-beat movement (36000 bpm), which would make it accurate to 1/10s like say the El Primero would be?
    If it were 36,000 bph, would it not say "Ultra-Chron" on the dial? Not sure that they made a chronographic Cal. 43x, did they?

http://montresuisses.blogspot.com/20...and-4-pos.html

Smart, somewhat more unique than a "boring" sub-dial. Obvious concerns about whether or not the movement is accurate though.

Quote Originally Posted by SimonK
    I may be wrong, and perhaps long-standing members will correct me, but I think your ten first posts are the most interesting ten first posts ever posted!
    +1 :bounce:

john
    THIN is the new BLACK

Quote Originally Posted by xpatUSA
    If it were 36,000 bph, would it not say "Ultra-Chron" on the dial? Not sure that they made a chronographic Cal. 43x, did they?

http://montresuisses.blogspot.com/20...and-4-pos.html
    That's what I would have thought... but then if it's 28.8kbph or 21.6kbph then would the chronograph hand then be accurate to less than 1/10s? I suppose the Vernier scale does still mean it will be accurate to the nearest 1/10s.

Master

That's what I would have thought... but then if it's 28.8kbph or 21.6kbph then would the chronograph hand then be accurate to less than 1/10s? I suppose the Vernier scale does still mean it will be accurate to the nearest 1/10s.
    I'd guess that you'd be fairly lucky in any case to be able to get 1/10s accuracy when pushing the stop button in any case. I really like the feature though - not sure if I could live with the scale sitting on the end of the second hand in reality - certainly a talking point.

Master

If it were 36,000 bph, would it not say "Ultra-Chron" on the dial?
    When discussing this topic, we should be careful in our terminology:
    The steps that a seconds hand makes as it goes around the dial are indicative of it's resolution, which is a separate subject to that of it's accuracy. That is to say - an 18,000 bph watch, for example, can not "resolve time" to smaller than 1/5 second intervals. So, even though the vernier scale used can by itself resolve to 1/10 sec, it's unlikely that the seconds hand will come to rest at anything but a sub-multiple of the bph - ie 1/5 sec for 18,000, 1/6 sec for 21,600 or 1/8 sec for 28,800.

Having said all that, it's quite difficult for a watchmaker to align a seconds hand exactly with the marks when assembling it onto it's post, so there's another variable for ya!!

If it were 36,000 bph, would it not say "Ultra-Chron" on the dial?
    When discussing this topic, we should be careful in our terminology:
    The steps that a seconds hand makes as it goes around the dial are indicative of it's resolution, which is a separate subject to that of it's accuracy. That is to say - an 18,000 bph watch, for example, can not "resolve time" to smaller than 1/5 second intervals. So, even though the vernier scale used can by itself resolve to 1/10 sec, it's unlikely that the seconds hand will come to rest at anything but a sub-multiple of the bph - ie 1/5 sec for 18,000, 1/6 sec for 21,600 or 1/8 sec for 28,800.

Having said all that, it's quite difficult for a watchmaker to align a seconds hand exactly with the marks when assembling it onto it's post, so there's another variable for ya!!
    Pedant. ;) You're right of course, but you clearly understand what I'm saying. It is still a funky feature.

Thomas Reid

Interesting watch. Do you know which movement it uses?

Best wishes,
    Bob

It has been a while since I've seen something 'new' in the watch scene. The fellow that dreamed up that one is no dozzer!

Master

Pedant. ;) You're right of course, but you clearly understand what I'm saying. It is still a funky feature.
    Sure, and yes it's certainly funky :D

Quote Originally Posted by Davidh
    It has been a while since I've seen something 'new' in the watch scene. The fellow that dreamed up that one is no dozzer!
    IMO all the horologically interesting watches were made in the past.

Nowadays most makers are content to all use the same boring movements in ever larger cases for huge amounts of money. :?
    Cheers,
    Neil.