closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Dent watches.......heard of them?

Dent watches.......heard of them?

Hi all, by complete chance I was serving a sales rep for dent watches today (they did the clock at kings cross) and he was telling me that they've got watches for sale as well (i think the site is something like dentwatches.com or dentlondon.com). They have very limited numbers at the moment for their watches and I was just curious to hear about a british watch brand I hadn't heard of before and was wondering if there's anyone out there who can tell me a bit more about them. For example they have named their movements, but it's not clear if they're eta mods or all in house, and I have no idea how good or bad they are generally.

Many thanks

Michael

Re: Dent watches.......heard of them?

the only thing i know is i think jura watches are a stocklist!

They advertise very heavily in the International Herald Tribune - they have a range of models, many of which are precious metal and / or diamond set, and are based around some of their classic clocks - Big Ben, the clock at St Pancras. Certainly the prices seem to reflect the marketing and their 'heritage', I've never handled one but for their plain gold models you're nearly in PP territory...

:) same as me, I'm completely in the dark, the problem with speaking to salespeople is that it's pretty much all fluff and I'm just curious as to how good the watch actually is. It's all a bit too expensive for me at the moment, but he said that they're so small that it's quite easy to get a lot of custom work done, so if I can get steel it might be one for the future!

they definitely were pricey (the model the guy had on was 9k), but I'm just merely curious as to whether the quality is actually there or if it's just all big ben and "heritage". One thing I found a bit odd was that they don't do display backs.

Master

The current models use 7750, Sellita and Soprod base movements... got to start somewhere but for ten grand that strikes me as ambitious, even in a gold case. Probably neither here nor there to the target market.

Manufacture movements are on the way apparently.

Mate of mine has a couple, including a limited edition Parliament. He loves 'em. Not my taste, and as others have said, pricy. He's quite well in with Jura - he invited me to their launch party and knows the MD - so he presumably got a reasonable deal.

Blog Entries

See Simon Cowell's brother gave him a 25000 Dent 'London' as a 50th gift
    Looks like the clock at Victoria station - not sure how the price is justified apart from the white gold :roll:
    Peter

Master
    Blog Entries

I've heard of DENTED watches imo not recommended if bought brand new! :lol:

Craftsman

They dont do them in SS, only precious metals, Ogdens of Harrogate are an AD, lovely watches, quite large though.

Master

In my opinion, the quality is not there. Greatly overpriced beyond what one normally sees in the watch industry. Look at the blown-up detail pictures on Jura and you'll know what I mean.

Journeyman

I had seen them in Jura before but never looked at the prices as I wasn't particularly interested. I'm even less interested now that I've noticed that I could get a new car for the price of that silly looking Parliament thing. :shock: Then again, scruffs like me are probably not in their target market.

Banned

Another overpriced brand , you know it, its easy to see....

just get a sub and call it a day

Quote Originally Posted by ibby7

:lol:

Quote Originally Posted by ibby7

And sub's are, of course, not overpiced! :laughing2:

Is this the oldest English watchmaker of which nobody has heard? Seems incredible... Has noone seen Big Ben? And where would we be without balance springs or jewels in mechanisms?
    :disappointed:

M

They were a respected clock maker. The St Pancras Station clock is I think, their signature piece. Recently reproduced in a format for the affluent domestic purchaser. The watches? Sorry, cannot help.

Craftsman

They are expensive and look like a clock...not for me