closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: It's official. The Met says the "barbecue summer" is off.

Thomas Reid

It's official. The Met says the "barbecue summer" is off.

I can well believe it, just having gone out to do errands on my bicycle in a really healthy downpour.

Press statement.
    Revised summer forecast (for August).

Best wishes,
    Bob

Re: It's official. The Met says the "barbecue summer" is off.

Rainfall: near or above average
    Temperature: near or above average

I know little about meteorology, but I'm prepared to take a guess that there will also be near or above average hours of sunshine. :roll:

I'm mindful that this is the George, but how much does the Met Office cost each year?

I generally ignore the 'forecast' and take each day as it comes :)

Thomas Reid

Quote Originally Posted by hogthrob
    Rainfall: near or above average
    Temperature: near or above average

I know little about meteorology, but I'm prepared to take a guess that there will also be near or above average hours of sunshine. :roll:

I'm mindful that this is the George, but how much does the Met Office cost each year?
    About 80 million I think. They also do lots of commercial stuff. But, it appears that they are so busy forecasting the weather in 40 or 50 years time, with enough certainty (they think) that they are willing to impoverish the world to avoid their forecast becoming fact, that they can't be bothered do a reasonably good job at forecasting the weather in a couple of months time. :) (I'll stop here, since this is the George & Dragon, rather than the other place.)

Best wishes,
    Bob

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Jonmurgie
    Indeed, the forecasters really haven't got a clue I'm sad to say :(

hopefully they will be wrong about this too.

Met office it is not far from me, used to ride though the grounds, untill they put up MOD/security service signs, don't ride through now.

:D

Weather is impossible to predict accurately more than a day ahead: the maths involved taxes the biggest computers on the planet. I'm surprised we're surprised they get it wrong. It's annoying though when they seem so confident about their forecasts.

There was a factoid on a wind farm debate programme last week: the average temperature across the globe has fallen in each of the last ten years to a level it was about 30 years ago. I'm not sure what that means but it's interesting.

Barbecue summer is off! No shit! I know it may be a case of 'shooting the messenger' but the last few summers have been wetter than an otters pocket and i predict that we will probably have a summer the same time as last year.........I seem to remember it was a Thursday afternoon. :roll:

Master

Hardly a surprise really.
    They rarely get the forecast right for the next day never mind months ahead.
    As for the 'global warming' future weather predictions :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
    Good justification for increased taxation though................

It's been fantastic weather in Bulgaria. Very warm but with a light breeze to keep it pleasant.

Not looking forward to coming back tomorrow to the rain :cry:
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Grand Master

Not being familiar with daily life in the UK, and having my perception of UK phrases, names and lingo shaped by reading British crime novels, I was wondering what the heck the Metropolitan Police Service had to do with a barbecue summer, and whether "barbecue summer" was a euphemism for the popular French pastime of setting cars ablaze ...

I am glad to have found out that it was merely a language problem rather than having missed out on an important societal development in the UK.
    Cheers,

Martin ("Crusader")

Master

Slow news week obviously - this is a total non-story as far as I'm concerned. The Met Office was naive to say "odds-on for a barbecue summer" when this would obvioulsy be perceived in the media as a guarantee of endless sunshine, but the fact is that we have had a better summer than the last two, as predicted.

In the UK, we live in a country with mild wet summers. Banging on about it as if the weather should like be the south of France is just crazy.

As is treating a wet fortnight as evidence of a lefty-global-warming-conspiracy.

Grand Master

The weather is a nightmare just now, torrential downpours, it feels freezing and the wind has been kicking up around here for what seems forever, i can't remember the last day the wind wasn't annoying.

It's just depressing that it's still July, and i'm in a jumper and just turned the central heating on, i just nipped out on the bike as well and got soaked to the skin within 2 minutes and this is my week off :(

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Argee1977
    The weather is a nightmare just now, torrential downpours, it feels freezing and the wind has been kicking up around here for what seems forever, i can't remember the last day the wind wasn't annoying.

It's just depressing that it's still July, and i'm in a jumper and just turned the central heating on, i just nipped out on the bike as well and got soaked to the skin within 2 minutes and this is my week off :(
    Bloody hell - that sounds atrocious :(

I suppose that means it's coming our way later today :x

Master

You know what they say about meteorologists (at least we balloonists do): they can tell you exactly what kind of weather you will be getting - just not when... :? :twisted:

Most of what the Met Office do is now commercial- they are part of the MoD after all :-) (Good Pub Quiz factoid...like the BBC World Service being part of the Foreign Office). Aren't you aware that our public bodies are now revenue centres?

The "barbecue summer" comment was PR- and like most PR it's wonderful dumbification for newspapers designed to drive commercial activity.

More here.

I'm getting married a week tomorrow, I just hope it doesn't piss it down then - as long as it's dry I don't care if I can't have a barbecue for the other 364 days of this year (despite the fact that I've had loads already :lol: )

here you can predict weather and bbq for at least 3 months ahead :D

Quote Originally Posted by raptor
    here you can predict weather and bbq for at least 3 months ahead :D
    Actually you can here too. It's going to rain in 3 Months time. There you go, that's my confident prediction for 31st October 2009.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonmurgie
    I'm not going to take the risk.

FS one unused BBQ with burgers and 4 rolls (with sesamea seeds on), open to offers.