closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Michael Schumacher back in F1

Michael Schumacher back in F1

Ferrari have said that Michael Schumacher will be driving for them following the accident to Massa.

Will be interesting to see how he gets on since he retired. Kind of like Lance Armstrong going back to do the Tour this month.

Re: Michael Schumacher back in F1

Great news. Roll on the next race!

If Schumacher is able to race at anything like his old speed, this could be really interesting, on many levels. The car isn't designed around Schumacher, however, and the team is no longer built around him, so perhaps we shouldn't expect too much? If nothing else, it'll be interesting to see who he runs off the track. :wink:

Yesssss at last we can see him SPANK Hamilton :D
    Cheers

Simon

Ralph Waldo Emerson: We ask for long life, but 'tis deep life, or noble moments that signify. Let the measure of time be spiritual, not mechanical.

OMG how cool... gotta feel sorry for little Massa but still, it keeps the old interest in F1 up!

Master

Hope someone puts him into the gravel

Master

I am very surprised at this - a strange decision but something that's well worth watching!

He can only 'reacquaint' himself using an old car or in straight-line tests so it'll be good to see how he adapts over the race weekend in about 3.5 weeks time.

Great news about Schumi I must say, can't wait until the European GP now. I'm not expecting miracles though, he's not allowed to actually drive the 2009 Ferrari until testing for the Euro GP and he is 40 after all. It'll certainly make thing interesting though that's for sure.

Cheers

Gary

Master

Very interesting - this will make me watch the next GP for the first time in a couple of years.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by mark996
    Very interesting - this will make me watch the next GP for the first time in a couple of years.
    My thoughts exactly 8)

Think his manager has said '200%' that Micky S is not going to strap himself in that seat again.

Shame.

Not seen a championship this wide open in as long as I can remember; should be really interesting to watch this latter half of the season unravel :D

Quote Originally Posted by Dr G
    Not seen a championship this wide open in as long as I can remember; should be really interesting to watch this latter half of the season unravel :D
    Much as I want Jenson to win, my money's on Webber.

I reckon Jenson can still do it. The car needs updating and the next 3 weeks or so will be critical.

Quote Originally Posted by johnfoxllb
    I reckon Jenson can still do it. The car needs updating and the next 3 weeks or so will be critical.
    The Brawn seems to have been well & truly overtaken. Just goes to show, yet again how little it's down to the driver. All these guys are brilliant drivers, but it's the guy with the 0.001% car advantage that wins.

As for Schumacher - Doubt he'll return, but if he does, I hope he gets a good slapping.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Grand Master Scottishtrunkmonkey's Avatar

Would be very interesting and great chance for the newer ones to compare their skills
    Respect the past, live the present, protect the future

Blog Entries

Any mention if he's doing it 'for love' or a nice fat 7 digit cheque ...?? :roll:
    Might put some 'spice' into next season and will be fun to watch !

Peter

It'll be good to see Schumi back in F1. Hopefully he'll light a fire under Kimi's arse too, the unprofessional little shit.

Quote Originally Posted by ingenioren
    Any mention if he's doing it 'for love' or a nice fat 7 digit cheque ...?? :roll:
    Might put some 'spice' into next season and will be fun to watch !

Peter
    I've not read about the money anywhere. He's already on the payroll and not short of a million or 10 so I doubt it'll be for the money.

I'm sure beating Button and Hamilton will be reward enough for him.

Chris

If he's going back into F1 whos going to be the Stig?

Quote Originally Posted by chrisparker
    I'm sure beating Button and Hamilton will be reward enough for him.

Chris
    He's already beaten Button, though Button seems to have honed his craft and did have the right car earlier this season.

Hamilton is over rated to my mind. He can do well when the circumstances fit, but otherwise struggles. Schumi, Hakkinen, and other greats managed to do well even when the cards were stacked against them.

To be fair though, he hasn't really had much chance to shine this year. Apart from Monaco and the stupidity of Melbourne, I think he's done alright. He's pretty much destroyed Kovalainen who is no push over and last weekend's victory was superb.

never a fan of "Michele",to be honest i couln´t stand him.
    but right now have to admit that i am looking forward (really happy)
    that he is coming back,could be very interesting.

Will be interesting - either he will be way off pace - or not :?
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Quote Originally Posted by Dean in Canuckistan
    It'll be good to see Schumi back in F1. Hopefully he'll light a fire under Kimi's arse too, the unprofessional little shit.
    Too right.

Lets hope we get some wet races as well so Old Boy Rain Meister can show those young pups a thing or two. Hope he beats that miserable twat Raikonen.

Master

When I first heard these reports that conflicted with earlier news I doubted whether it was true, particularly as I could see no upside to Schumacher whatsoever. Even if he could get race-fit I couldn't see how he could get accustomed to the latest cars. I even considered the possibility that Ferrari knew Felipe Massa would recover in time and it was all PR, but it seems that I was very wrong.

This report does indeed seem to confirm that Schumacher is testing in an old car (presumably with adaptions to simulate current aero/downforce) so he will be able to drive.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/77445

Aside from the obvious reasons, I still can't fathom their true motivation for him to be driving unless they need a real shot in the arm and a way of sorting Kimi Raikkonen out. Perhaps Bernie Ecclestone has been pushing for this behind the scenes to get viewing figures up!

Things are very rarely what they seem in F1, but perhaps this is one of those occasions when it's a simple as that. If Schumacher can get himself ready, I will be glad to be wrong and see him race again.

Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by WORKSIMON
    Yesssss at last we can see him SPANK Hamilton :D
    Dream on!!
    I wont be filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed, I am not a number, I am a free man, my life is my own!!!
    Be seeing you
    Toodle pip
    Griff.

He appears to have tested a two year old car yesterday. The other teams have said they will not object to him testing the current car if the FIA permit it.

The other teams have said they will not object to him testing the current car if the FIA permit it.
    They didn't say or allow that for Alguersuari, so why for MS? Doubly 'unfair', as in addition to learning the car, MS is quite likely to give development information about the car.

Can't wait for the next race, hopefully Schuey and Hamilton will be on top form and prevent Red Bull from taking too many points out of Button's dwindling lead! 8)
    "I looked with pity not untinged with scorn upon these trivial-minded passers-by"

Master

Interesting (long) article explaining the theory why Schumacher is making a comeback
    http://www.autosport.com/features/article.php/id/2310

Quote Originally Posted by PeterM
    Interesting (long) article explaining the theory why Schumacher is making a comeback
    http://www.autosport.com/features/article.php/id/2310
    Looks like you need to be a subscriber to read the full article.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to the next race - it should be interesting. I think he'll be able to learn the car and racetrack on the Friday and be as competitive as the car allows on Saturday and Sunday.

Quote Originally Posted by hogthrob
    The other teams have said they will not object to him testing the current car if the FIA permit it.
    They didn't say or allow that for Alguersuari, so why for MS? Doubly 'unfair', as in addition to learning the car, MS is quite likely to give development information about the car.
    I was thinking that too, but this is Ferrari we are talking about now, the FIA allows them to write their own rules. :twisted:

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Meinessex
    Quote Originally Posted by hogthrob
    I was thinking that too, but this is Ferrari we are talking about now, the FIA allows them to write their own rules. :twisted:
    I agree - the thought had crossed my mind. Having said that, not allowing a rookie to familiarise himself with the car was a pretty reckless decision really and has nothing to do with the reasons for introducing the limits on testing. I know what you mean about Ferrari, but I'm not sure how hard Toro Rosso pressed for an exception to be made.

Master

Apparently not back in F1 as, having been out of competition for years, his neck can't take the G forces any more, plus the after effects of a neck injury sustained racing bikes, apparently. Pity really, would have been interesting.

Master

Looks like it will be Marc Gené after all then. As a Spaniard he will be popular with the crowd at Valencia.

Alonso would only have been an oustide possibility if Massa was only out for one race, but he now looks set to be out until at least Suzuka, if not for the rest of the year. Of course Renault could also win their appeal and be racing at Valencia anyway.

The race organisers at Valencia are saying that Renault will definitely be racing (read into that what you will) but they have still got lots of tickets to sell for a track that really underwhelmed last year.

It's a shame about Schumacher not being able to race, but it's not the end of the world and certainly much better to be safe than sorry. I bet Bernie's a bit gutted though :D

Yes poor old Bernie has had a rough time of it recently... :D

Master

And I'm completely wrong again - Ferrari have said that Luca Badoer will drive instead!

That is so weird as I think he is slightly older than Gené, but more to the point Badoer is a test driver (rather than a reserve driver) plus he hasn't raced in F1 since 1999 as I recall (for Minardi).

Ferrari must have their reasons - perhaps Gené is being recruited by one of the new F1 teams, or maybe they will be alternating drivers between the races. :scratch:

No doubt all will be revealed when it plays out...

It's a shame Michael isn't fit enough to race but much better safe than sorry. Bernie will be gutted at the thought of all that lost revenue and Kimmi will be mighty relieved. Badoer is a strange choice over Gené but they must have their reasons.

Cheers,

Gary

Quote Originally Posted by PeterM
    Alonso would only have been an oustide possibility if Massa was only out for one race, but he now looks set to be out until at least Suzuka, if not for the rest of the year. Of course Renault could also win their appeal and be racing at Valencia anyway.

That was never going to happen (except in Alonso's tiny mind), Ferrari are very protective of their corporate secrets, especially after the spygate scandal. You really think that they would allow a driver from another team to drive their car, and steal all their data, and then return to another team ?

Alonso desperately wants out of the Renault, but cannot see the fact that all the other teams think he is a dickhead, and do not want him driving for them.

Master

Like most people I really don't know what the other teams genuinely think of Alonso because I only get to see what is reported and offered as editorial.

He has been widely tipped to be driving for Ferrari as early as next year (it has even been called an open-secret). Obviously whether this is going to happen is quite another story, but we may not have to wait until the end of the year to find out as Ferrari normally announce their drivers during the Monza race weekend (mid-September).

Alonso seems to be one of those drivers that seeks the very best car at the time (like most World Champions) and he seems to be generally considered by the Paddock to be one of the top 3 drivers, so he may well get a Ferrari drive for all I know.

But then you could be right: you never really know when it comes to F1 - even after it has happened :blackeye:

Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Shame, would have been fun to watch.

no mikey the cobbler then - so how about paint ball guns fitted to the cars and points earned for every car hit and lost when hit.
    gotto be more interesting than going around in circles.
    could be worse could be nascar i suppose :roll:

Master

Yep , some kind of Hamilton v Shumacher contest could have been fun to watch , shame :(

Looks like it may be on the cards after all. It would really re-ignite F1 if it happened :).

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/andrewbenson ... ing_i.html

Cheers,

Gary

Master

They certainly are building it up more, even in the more serious press aren't they :?

I said absolutely no-way would this happen, so I could be proved very wrong (not for the first time either). If this actually happens then Ferrari will lose one of their biggest PR advantages from the investment they have made for all these years.

I just can't fathom it, but then we know so little when it really comes down to it...

This is great news, hope it happens! :D

Hamilton, Button, Alonso, Massa, Schumacher. All in equal machinary. I think this could be very reminicient of '86