closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: A Benrus type 1

Craftsman

A Benrus type 1

This came form across the pond today. Love the blank dial and the styling heavily 'borrowed' from the submariner.

Highly domed acrylic crystal and swept down lugs are just gorgeous to my eye. Very stylish crown protection achieved by just striking a straight line from the lug tip to the head of the crown.

Nominal 40 mm dia depending on where you measure it and in the order of 15 mm thick. Fixed lugs with 20mm spacing. Bi directional friction bezel to keep track of a second time zone or zulu time.

Here's the info I have so far:
    Dated (on the back) Aug 1974. Issued to US Navy seals and developed to replace the Tudor and Rolex subs they were using 'til then. Introduced presumably to save costs. Hacking ETA (i think) auto mov't. Solid one piece case, mov't accessed through front (don't ask me how).

There are such things as sterile issues of this model, that is; no engraving on the back. These command higher prices, of course, on the basis that they are rarer and were issued to special ops/CIA et al.

On the flip side I have also heard that the completely blank (sterile) ones were just early prototypes and not special ops issue at all.

Nice stories both of them. choose which one is going to impress your mates most down tthe boozer if you happen to be wearing a completely blank one.

Craftsman

Nice

Love the Benrus.

I seen them for the first time on the Broadarrow site and i keep looking for those pic's again and again.

Where did you buy this watch?

Greetings from Holland. 8)

Craftsman

Benrus

Hi Tudormic

It is a beauty isnt it? The curve of the domed crystal that is continued in the bezel is just sooooo nice.

I managed to track it down on MWR (Broadarrow) and think I was just lucky to see it advertised. They seem to be pretty rare but not impossible to find.

The time keeping is very good too. I've had it a week and its running around -2 sec/day.

If you can stand a quartz look-alike then have a look at http://www.mkiiwatches.com/Mar_composite_type3.html

Craftsman

nice

Also nice, but not the real deal i am afraid.