closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: 2009 SMP1200, aka Ploprof

2009 SMP1200, aka Ploprof

Ordinarily I wouldn’t review a watch I’d only worn for an hour or so, but this is a special case. This past Tuesday I had the chance to inspect, wear and photograph the new Ploprof at the Omega boutique in Sydney. Up front, I have to thank the boutique’s watchmaker, David, for repeatedly calling me every time the watch was in the shop and available. We finally made the connection yesterday. Sadly, they couldn't let me take the watch out of the store, so my hour of scouting to pick out four locations for shooting outdoors in downtown Sydney was for naught. I understand their position since I'm not an established customer of theirs. So all of these photos were taken inside the shop, which is harshly spotlit with halogen lamps in order to make the watches ‘sparkle’, but which is less than optimal for photography. I was having wicked white balancing problems, so bear with me. I think you can see that WB varies from shot to shot as I tried my best to correct for the lighting conditions.

First impressions are positive. The watch is solid huge and handsome, with an excellent case finish which is quite similar to the original and other tool dive watches. The rubber is thick and comfortable and the clasp closes like the door of an expensive sport sedan. The bezel moves smoothly once unlocked via the pushbutton, though detents are a shade soft and indistinct. Whilst the crown is a different configuration, and more secure and confidence-inspiring than the original, the mechanism of tightening the crown and its guard will be familiar to Ploprof owners: press inwards with the thumb, tighten the crown with the index. The whole crown/stem assembly is much sturdier than that of the old watch. It's easy to use and nearly impossible to foul up. When operating it, you get the sense that you’d never cross the threads and that it will always work the way it should.

Further inspection reveals some of the loss of dive watch functionality that is apparent on direct comparison with the original: no drilled lugs, the minute hand is anodized orange, as is the side of the pushbutton, which is great in the light but the hand is harder to see when not in direct light. This is a step backwards in terms of dive watch functionality. The orientation of the date wheel is a mistake IMO. When you look at the watch while wearing it, your line of sight is almost perpendicular to the date window orientation (see wrist shots below).

The new model has a bigger dial, bigger case and is thicker - about what one would expect given current watch trends and what is needed in a broad watch with a 1200m depth rating. In comparing the new dial to the old one, the applied polished markers are clearly a step forward in legibility, but at the same time some of the refinement of the older dial has been lost with the change in the 12 markers and added text. The larger bezel numbers are an easier read, but a bit OTT, more like something you'd see in a CitiSeiko. The orange dot inside the bezel 12 triangle is useless as far as I can tell - another detail adding visual noise to the watch face which adds no functionality.

Photos of what some will consider the best part of this watch, the back (crown unscrewed to expose the slotted 'key' mechanism of the crown guard):

The back is certainly more attractive, with some ridges maintained as a nod to the functionality of the vintage model.

The clasp recalls the Sinn silicone clasp, massive with a positive closing mechanism. There is a diver’s wetsuit extension and a micro-adjust which allows for exact fit in a variety of conditions, but only when the watch is off the wrist. The clasp is just excellent, no other way to describe it. The only way it could be better if the micro adjust could be managed whilst the watch was on the wrist. Ideally, you could let the micro-adjust all the way out, don the watch and then squeeze the clasp down to fit. As it is, the clasp has to be adjusted by trial and error, removing and donning the watch multiple times.

The profile shot. The '09 Ploprof is much thicker and bulkier than the vintage. The strap is correspondingly thicker, but still every bit as comfortable as the original.

I’ve read in a few spots that the lug width is 24mm. I think it’s pretty clear here that the lug width is 24mm – identical to the vintage Ploprof lug width.

Now, the group shots. I've got all three major dial variants here with me in Oz and brought them all with me to the boutique in order to shoot the four Ploprof generations together as a group. From left to right: first generation dial (600 in the middle of the three lines of text at the bottom of the dial), second generation dial (600 at the bottom), the current superluminova replacement third generation dial (both meters and feet listed in the depth rating), and the 2009 Ploprof.

On the wrist the new Ploprof wears much like the original, except heavier. It’s noticeably heavier on the rubber strap than the vintage watch is on mesh. I've written on the forums before that I'd need to wear this watch IRL before making a buying decision and at this point I feel my resolve weakening...

Master

Re: 2009 SMP1200, aka Ploprof

:shock: :shock: :shock: That's a serious PloProf roundup, Colin! Thanks for the excellent observations, that's a side-by-side review if I ever saw one!

I've got all three major dial variants here with me in Oz and brought them all with me to the boutique in order to shoot the four Ploprof generations together as a group.
    You don't travel light, that's for sure! The 2nd gen original dial for me, thanks ;)

Awesome review, many thanks for taking the time to do it... looks a great watch but perhaps a little too much bigger then the original?! Still, far too rich for me :)

Quote Originally Posted by vaizki
    You don't travel light, that's for sure! The 2nd gen original dial for me, thanks ;)
    Yes, I prefer the D2 also. Having said that, it's very hard to find a D1 in good nick and when you do it's just...wonderful!

Master

I have to confess of not like the PloProf, but that was a very good review. Cheers Nalu

That's an incredible review Colin, many thanks for that!
    And, you'll get my vote for the Coolest Side-By-Side Shot in watch history!

Personally I think it rocks. Big time. It's possibly the toughest job to re-define such an icon (with such a fan base all over the world), and they've done it very well. It will never be the iconic watch the original PloProf is (due to various reasons), but it's a great homage and seems to be built with great attention to detail and finish.
    I'm not as think as you drunk I am.

rarer than rocking horse sh!t that pic. its like the beatles reunion.
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries

good review colin, thanks for taking the time to post, and the photos are great 8)

cheers
    mike :wink:

Thanks for this Colin although I have to confess to being more interested in the vintage ones than the new. It's a watch I've always wanted but still wonder if it's a practical daily wear for a desk diver :wink: .

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Master

Thanks, Colin. I've rarely seen such a gathering as in your photos...

Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Nalu
    Further inspection reveals some of the loss of dive watch functionality that is apparent on direct comparison with the original: no drilled lugs, the minute hand is anodized orange, as is the side of the pushbutton, which is great in the light but the hand is harder to see when not in direct light. This is a step backwards in terms of dive watch functionality.
    Oh, is this supposed to be a dive watch? :lol:

Great review. Interesting point about the iffy date position, too.
    ...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!

Great review and comparison, thanks for posting. I wanted both an original and new version before reading this post, now i want them even more :D

Quote Originally Posted by mr1973
    That's an incredible review Colin, many thanks for that!
    And, you'll get my vote for the Coolest Side-By-Side Shot in watch history!

Personally I think it rocks. Big time. It's possibly the toughest job to re-define such an icon (with such a fan base all over the world), and they've done it very well. It will never be the iconic watch the original PloProf is (due to various reasons), but it's a great homage and seems to be built with great attention to detail and finish.
    Got to agree here - many thanks Colin, great review.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Great review, thanks for sharing!

Great review and pics (given the lighting)
    Were the shop open to the idea of this from the beginning or did it take alot of persuasion?
    seems like a fun way to spend some time
    thanks for posting
    alex

Fantastic!

I love how the shop still wouldn't let you borrow the 1200 even though you rocked up with 3 originals :lol:

Good comparison though. The new clasp looks great especially, but I would give this wrist time.

I would take it off in a flash though to replace with an original should the opportunity arise :D

Superb

Thanks for posting the review Colin. It was great seeing the new with the old. My local Omega AD was very impressed you had 3 originals when I showed him your photos 20 minutes ago whilst I was trying on the new PloProf.

Journeyman

Thanks for the review. :)

I'd never have even considered one of these, except as a deepsea divers watch.

But must admit it looks superb with a shirt !!

Master

Excellent review

Great review Colin. Thnaks for posting this. :)

great high end diver! Need to try that on someday!

A great review of a great diver watch. I have been lucky enough to play with one a couple of times at my AD, and must say that I am a 'believer' now.
    I much prefer the modern style versus the old, I think that Omega have done a great job updating a classic. The clasp is very well made, which is very similar to the Breitling Ocean Racer deployant. I'd be very keen to hear if there was any chance of a Planet Ocean version coming out, or if a clasp could be used on a PO. I realise that the rubber has PloProf written on it, I just think a PO one would look great.
    My one thought was 'just how much of a seller will this be?'. Apparently there is a lot of interest, but very few sales. I think people are drawn to the design due to it's size and shape, but may be put off by the cost and the actual thought of wearing something so big. IMO unless you were a WIS, you would probably spend your cash on a Sea Dweller or similar.
    All in all, a great piece, and something I would definitely like to get my hands on sometime in the future

Ash

Grand Master

Nalu, great review, great pictures, great watches .. I'd be happy with any of them - but I'd need to find some money first!
    /vince ..

Fantastic pics...if I had thicker wrists and deeper pockets I would snap one of those up

Nice!! For me the minute hand on the 2009 model is too slim.

Thanks for the review. I tried one of these on recently at an AD and loved it even though I didn't expect to.

Breathtaking!

If only one had the funds....
    //n011an

Journeyman

superb looking watch......if only I had the pennies??

Hi Colin
    those pics are far better than you modestly state & a good write-up too. :thumbup:

I visited two Bristol AD's today, not only did they not have one in stock they didn't see too up-to-date on it's existence. :roll:

The line-up of four is just a killer!!!!

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Journeyman

Great reviews mate. But cant afford it right now. :twisted:

Blog Entries

That's a great review Colin - thank you so much for taking the time to get those shots together!

I hope to get one of these soon - but I may have to sell a couple more of my current collection though to fund it. All the best
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

Superb article.. thanks very much for the effort. I would like to get one but not sure of everyday wear as its HUGEEEEEEEE!

Fascinating - top review, well oserved.

Thanks for the kind comments everyone, makes the effort seem...effortless :wink:

I recently had a chance to fit a modern black rubber with the clasp as comes on the SMP1200 to a vintage Ploprof. A lovely combo: very comfortable and attractive, though maybe the clasp is a bit too jewel-like for the ugly old Ploprof. Let me start by saying I don't think anyone has to worry about it not being long enough:

The clasp is a piece of art:

The rubber is very thick at the lugs, though it tapers and is very comfortable. My only reservation would be hot weather - I think I'd go with an isofrane for the tropics. Here it is compared to a vintage isofrane, the modern 24mm rubber from Omega and the new ISOfrane strap from the revived Synchron group (a comparative review coming on this one):

Grand Master
    Blog Entries

it really is good news that they are making the isofrane again, however i am lucky that one came with my ploprof. oh, and again, nice photos colin 8)

cheers

Lovely watches but way, way outa my league, this is premier league status. :)

Grand Master
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dreamboat10
    Lovely watches but way, way outa my league, this is premier league status. :)
    oh no anyone can have one :wink:

cheers

Mike,

Your premier league collector, i'm still playing hollywood passes but in the old 2nd division... :D

Grand Master
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dreamboat10
    i'm still playing hollywood passes but in the old 2nd division... :D

:D :D

Great pics nice review. :bounce:

great review and nice pics mate

Ve,ry nice review thanks, i had one and like most of my nice watches seamd to nice to spoil by wearing LOL but i mean it. I think the watch will dink and scratch quite quickley, its size will attract bumps etc, But must rember a watch ifs for wearing and enjoying.

At first I don't really like it but after reading your review I found that it's a great watch. Thank you

Great review - enjoyed reading it.
    Thanks!

FMF

great review..is there any further reading you van recommend on the mark 1 ploprof .thanks again

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Grand Master
    Great review, thank you for sharing the knowledge on this very unique and interesting model
    RIAC

Grand Master

2009 SMP1200, aka Ploprof

Two snippets of information I learned recently are that the caseback was ridged to prevent slippage when worn on wetsuits, something that was lost on the recent titanium models and the shark mesh bracelet has both polished and brushed sides, it is designed to be worn brushed side out to compliment the case and also the flexibility of the links lends itself better that way but it can be worn polished side out for a little bling and contrast.

Really loving this watches history and depth (excuse the pin)

Long live The Plongeur Professionnel
    RIAC