closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Daytona availability

Master

Daytona availability

Hi,

I have seen many Daytonas being sold above their RRPs, despite their having been in the market for some years now. Is it really not possible to obtain a new Daytona at its list price? Are they not available from ADs? Or is the waiting list just too long?

I'm asking because I am thinking of getting a Daytona late this year/next year, but still feel uncomfortable about paying above a retail price...

You advice would be appreciated.

Born

Master

Re: Daytona availability

From what I have been told by an AD there is a up to a year's waiting list for the SS Daytona and so many are being sold at a premium (including SH ones). Whether this will still be the case come the end of the year, is another argument.

The SS seems to be less in demand in the US/Far East which is probably where some of these private sales are coming from.

Of course I could be completely wrong... :)

Grand Master

Theres a 2 tone Daytona in MAppins & Webb Guildford @ £6900, they will take £6500 cash...Its all perfect
    RIAC

Never easy with SS Daytona's.

I would doubt that the waiting lists have shrunk by a huge amount - most of the Leeds Ad's will not even put you on a list.

Schipol airport is rumoured to be an option but very hit and miss - AndyG my be able to elaborate.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK

I would doubt that the waiting lists have shrunk by a huge amount - most of the Leeds Ad's will not even put you on a list.

Schipol airport is rumoured to be an option but very hit and miss - AndyG my be able to elaborate.
    Are there really waiting lists ? Or is it a hype to amke it exclusive? Wasnt there waiting lists for sub dates etc ? Well every agent has them ! Im sure there are agents that will have a SS daytona in the safe but not in the window display! and will tell you we happened to ahave had " a cancelled order"

Quote Originally Posted by jonny

Are there really waiting lists ? Or is it a hype to amke it exclusive? Wasnt there waiting lists for sub dates etc ? Well every agent has them ! Im sure there are agents that will have a SS daytona in the safe but not in the window display! and will tell you we happened to ahave had " a cancelled order"
    Trust me - I tried, the SS Daytona is a major hard beast to get from an AD in a decent timescale, even if you are a big spender.

Master

Definitely still lists in operation, I'm on two and have been for 18 months +

Grand Master

The best part of owning that watch is the chase!! Be careful what you wish for !!
    RIAC

Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey
    The best part of owning that watch is the chase!! Be careful what you wish for !!
    Indeed - chased one for 10 years +

When I finally landed one it went within 3 months........

Master

What you gentlemen have said sounds interesting. I don't mind a waiting list, as long as it is real and there's prospect of obtaining the watch in 1-2 years' time. In fact, I have far too many watches as it is, and probably could do with some slowing down. According to what you said, perhaps the best action is to inquire my AD directly; I should be regarded as one of their valued customers, so they might be able to do something for me. Well, at least I know they will not charge above the RRP!

It's the steel Daytona that's I'm interested in, really, as the price seems reasonable for what I would get. I like the dials of the new WG models more, but at those prices, there are better watches to be had.

Now, is it possible at all to get a new steel Daytona at a discount? Or am I dreaming? :?

Well every agent has them ! Im sure there are agents that will have a SS daytona in the safe
    Correct.

If you are spending enough, "safe stock" suddenly becomes available.

Quote Originally Posted by Born T
    Now, is it possible at all to get a new steel Daytona at a discount? Or am I dreaming? :?
    Nope - on drugs :P

With the so called "hard to get" Rolex models, it's very much a case of who you know.

Last month, over a conversation with my AD about something other than watches, he mentioned that he had an SS Daytona & Milgauss GV in stock.

24 hours later & I had both of the watches in my possesion :D

I've had quite a few SS Daytonas from him for friends & family & never had to wait more than a month for him to supply me.

Admittedly, I do spend rather a lot with him & have done over the last few years.

I know this doesn't help you in any way, but it does go to show that they are out there.

And yes, I got a discount!

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by PDE
    With the so called "hard to get" Rolex models, it's very much a case of who you know.

Last month, over a conversation with my AD about something other than watches, he mentioned that he had an SS Daytona & Milgauss GV in stock.

I've had quite a few SS Daytonas from him for friends & family & never had to wait more than a month for him to supply me.

Admittedly, I do spend rather a lot with him & have done over the last few years.

I know this doesn't help you in any way, but it does go to show that they are out there.

Dan
    I agree Dan - my comments were based on folks without a decent large £££ history with a dealer.

For me the GV is a little different - AD's (and Rolex) are not stupid with the WIS and the higer end watch market. The rush with the GV resulted in inflated prices on the grey market and a 'waiting list' in the AD's - they are now in many AD's windows. Not so with the Daytona.

I| am sure if anybody went into an AD and proposed £100k worth of spending that was conditional on the supply of a SS Daytona one would appear? My guess is the OP was not asking this?

Master

There are 4 Daytonas in the window of David M Robinson in Manchester at the moment

Quote Originally Posted by Parabola
    There are 4 Daytonas in the window of David M Robinson in Manchester at the moment
    any stainless steel ones?

The rush with the GV resulted in inflated prices on the grey market and a 'waiting list' in the AD's - they are now in many AD's windows. Not so with the Daytona.
    They are there.

Quote Originally Posted by whoami
    The rush with the GV resulted in inflated prices on the grey market and a 'waiting list' in the AD's - they are now in many AD's windows. Not so with the Daytona.
    They are there.
    Not in SS - unless you know different? I am sure there are a number of people who would welcome a steer.

Lots of WG ones around - and with decent discounts if you ask.

Master

Markets will differ, but what ive heard here is the daytona is not easy to shift anymore in the second hand market, and impossible to get anything over retail for it. This mainly due to the silly RRP of them these days. It was a bubble and it has popped. I guess its still hard to get from ADs due to alot of people still in Q thinking they can make money off it instantly... surprise surprise.

Quote Originally Posted by 744ER
    Markets will differ, but what ive heard here is the daytona is not easy to shift anymore in the second hand market, and impossible to get anything over retail for it. This mainly due to the silly RRP of them these days. It was a bubble and it has popped. I guess its still hard to get from ADs due to alot of people still in Q thinking they can make money off it instantly... surprise surprise.
    :?

I will take one at retail now if somebody can point me to the source!

I fly into Schipol quite regularly at the moment and the dealer in the airport is

Gassan
    Schiphol Plaza, Arrival 3
    Telephone: +31 (0)20 - 4059920 / 4059951
    E-mail: Info@gassanschiphol.nl

I couldn't see any Daytonas last time I was there (not that I'm in the market for one) but it's not that cheap relative to UK - only price I can remember is they had a Speedmaster Alaska Project for 3500 euros (they still have it I think) - strong euro / weak sterling not helping admittedly

Si

I've been through Schipol 20+ times the last couple years, always stopped by the Rolex outlet to see if a Daytona or SD was available - they've never had either in stock. Plenty of gold and bi stuff though. :(

Give it a few months you might here one or two being seen in jewellers windows! They will start becoming available!

Give it a few months you might here one or two being seen in jewellers windows! They will start becoming available!
    I will not hold my breath on this one, but thanks for the advice.

Try the RolexADs in KualaLumpur for new

try J farren Price in Australia for new

Kep an eye on Nicols hacko's site http://www.clockmaker.com.au/rolex.html for used - he has 2 used at the moment - one black,one white. AUD$19000, apprcimately 9,000 gbp. Watch market is slow here, you should be able to get a good discount.

Quote Originally Posted by jason recliner
    Try the RolexADs in KualaLumpur for new

Kep an eye on Nicols hacko's site http://www.clockmaker.com.au/rolex.html for used - he has 2 used at the moment - one black,one white. AUD$19000, apprcimately 9,000 gbp. Watch market is slow here, you should be able to get a good discount.
    Good availabilty on the used market in the UK for a lot less than you quote - I am still curious where a BNIB one is available at list to a cold caller with no history at an AD.

[quote=Chris_in_the_UK]
    Quote Originally Posted by jason recliner":20fhzcw7]Try the RolexADs in KualaLumpur for new

Kep an eye on Nicols hacko's site [url="http://www.clockmaker.com.au/rolex.html
    http://www.clockmaker.com.au/rolex.html[/url] for used - he has 2 used at the moment - one black,one white. AUD$19000, apprcimately 9,000 gbp. Watch market is slow here, you should be able to get a good discount.
    Good availabilty on the used market in the UK for a lot less than you quote - I am still curious where a BNIB one is available at list to a cold caller with no history at an AD.[/quote:20fhzcw7]

That would be the first two I mentioned. I'm pretty sure farren price have one right now. I don't know what rrp is, and I don't know what they are asking.

I definitely saw one in an AD in KL just after christmas. The shop had probably over 100 sports rolexes, it was in the Garden mall, next to Mid-Valley. Also amazing watch shops in star hill gallery, and I think Pavillion.

There is a catch with Daytona - you have to buy another Rolex with it! So it is AUD$13,000 +the price of a second model! Doh!

Master

[quote=Chris_in_the_UK]
    Quote Originally Posted by "Born T":q4h48cet
    Nope - on drugs :P[/quote:q4h48cet]

:lol:

Master

Quote Originally Posted by PDE

Dan
    It doesnt matter what you know, its who you know that counts :)

I remember being at Gleneagles a few years ago and I triend on a WG Daytona which was circa 15k RRP, at that time I saw SS Daytonas going up at the circa 12k mark :shock:

The bubble has burst but there are still lists there, Daytona, SD, DS and even some for the GV Milgauss. A couple of years ago a friend of mine was told that in order to get on the list for a GV he would have to buy another SS Rolex. Thats just taking the mic. I was in H&I in Terminal five last year and asked if they had a DS, the saleswoman told me they were reserved for special customers... I replied saying how special do you have to be to spend circa 6k on a watch??!

There will always be a dealer somewhere that has one that has just come in or has no list and a lucky buyer will walk right in. I know a guy who was on a stop over through London and walked into a AD and asked if they had a Daytona, the guy went through the back and returned with a SS Daytona. Result :D Wherever I am I always ask if they have one.

They certainly had one last week - SS with a Black dial for around 6400 Euros (about £5.8K). They also had a White Gold one with a Blue Face (not my bag!) for about 17000 Euros

Andy

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche