closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Was I wrong to...?

Master

Was I wrong to...?

Hi all.

A couple of weeks ago I noticed that the rehaut markers did not quite line up with the markers on the dial of my Bremont.

Only out by a millimetre yes, but once spotted it began to stand out each time I looked at the watch.

So today I took it in to my AD to have it checked. One of the partners had a look at it and seemed dismissive of the problem, admittedly I had also asked for the hand alignment to be checked as I felt they were off centre when at 12 o'clock, well didn't the damn things look fine when he lined them up...

Anyway after a bit of gentle prodding, he brought out a display model to compare mine too.To my eyes their model was exactly aligned while mine wasn't. He reluctantly agreed to send the watch to be sorted but could not guarantee there would be much change. I had hoped this could be fixed by their watchmaker but hey-ho. :(

My wife shakes her head and calls me a perfectionist. Have I been overly obsessive about this very minor problem? This bothers me like some people get irritated by the seconds hand not hitting the markers on a quartz analogue watch.

I obviously don't have enough other things to worry about .

Comments please gentlemen.

Dave

Re: Was I wrong to...?

I would have done the same - needs to be right for you.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Master

It wouldn't bother me in fact I probably wouldn't even notice it.

But it's your watch and if it matters to you then 100% fair enough.

Doubtless there is stuff that your wife would worry about, and that I would worry about, that would have you scratching your head.

We're all different thank goodness.

:)

well, you pay your money and you should get what you expect, not something that is defective. No matter how small the defect. I think that you did the right thing, because every time you look at that watch you'd notice it.

Dave, is it just me, or is the bottom end piece slightly loose?

Only kidding!

Is it though?

Grand Master Scottishtrunkmonkey's Avatar

piss poor for that money mate, get it sorted :)
    Respect the past, live the present, protect the future

Get it sorted, once you've seen it then it will annoy you. You don't pay that kind of money to get annoyed with the product.
    Dave E

Skating away on the thin ice of a new day

Craftsman

i noticed that pretty much straight away. It would annoy me no end! did the right thing.

Master

That is utterly poor workmanship. I would have it sorted, definitely!
    Hope it comes back perfect.

I can see it in the photo. It'd annoy me. You paid for it to be right, its a luxury product, it should be right.

No bother.

I can see that the rehaut is out in the picture - That would drive me nuts!
    By the same token, I have a breitling where the bezel doesnt line up exactly....it will be fixed at the next service, i just dont want to be without the watch, so it can wait.

When I/We purchase products in this sector, everything should be correct.
    I dont mind that on occassion if something is out, as long as its fixed quickly and without hassle.

The attitude of your AD would make me boycott the place and go directly, who knows what the covernote he is going to send will say?

Harsh? Possibly, but it sour money and our right to choose.
    Alex

If it was a £2k (or whatever) car and it didn't steer straight you'd be back at the dealer's quick enough. It's a machine: have it fixed.

Seems to me the date wheel is not aligned

Master

Actually now I look at it the rehaut vs dial marker issue is quite clear and would annoy even me. Hope you get it sorted.

Craftsman

Yeah, I see it and agree it would drive me mad- My Oris has a squint drop of lume that will be being rectified as soon as it gets serviced, if I'd paid Bremont money, I'd want it fixed ASAP. Is there service centre in the UK, or is it a back to Switzerland job? Shouldnt be a hard fix to realign IMO. Disappointing that your AD doesnt feel the same way when you've just shelled out >£2K at their establishment. Might be one to take up with Bremont themselves?

Dave, you are absolutely right, it is misaligned.

Oh BUGGER.

I keep looking at that picture and thinking I really like the watch. Especially the hands and date window. Even the brand logo, which usually I loathe, on all watches.

Damn you.

I have had the same thing on all 3 Rolex Subs I have owned, and every time I have got it sorted. If you pay that sort of money on a watch you should expect it to be perfect - it's amazing quality control lets these through. I am 100% with you on this

Master

I can see it, its not by much but enough to irritate the hell out you. I am the same as soon as I notice something is not right thats all I can see! Definately send it back and get it sorted, did they give you an indication of turnaround time?

Master

Nope, I'm very anal (not to be added to the gayest thread ever :D ) about exactly this sort of thing. When your paying out this amount of money, a professionally finished product isn't much to ask for.

Which AD was it?

BR
    Aaron

I would feel the same. Once noticed it plays on your mind and distracts from the enjoyment of owning IMO angry9:

Neil

Craftsman

You were perfectly justified in what you did. Don't let the AD make you feel anything else.

Definitely not right and should never have got through QC. :?
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C
    Definitely not right and should never have got through QC. :?
    +1. You'll get it back like new, though with a few scratches on the rehaut and the caseback... :lol:
    I'm not as think as you drunk I am.

Master

I'd put up with it on a Seiko 5 or an O&W etc, but definitely nothing in this price bracket

Quote Originally Posted by dforgrieve
    Hi all.

A couple of weeks ago I noticed that the rehaut markers did not quite line up with the markers on the dial of my Bremont.

Only out by a millimetre yes, but once spotted it began to stand out each time I looked at the watch.

So today I took it in to my AD to have it checked. One of the partners had a look at it and seemed dismissive of the problem, admittedly I had also asked for the hand alignment to be checked as I felt they were off centre when at 12 o'clock, well didn't the damn things look fine when he lined them up...

Anyway after a bit of gentle prodding, he brought out a display model to compare mine too.To my eyes their model was exactly aligned while mine wasn't. He reluctantly agreed to send the watch to be sorted but could not guarantee there would be much change. I had hoped this could be fixed by their watchmaker but hey-ho. :(

My wife shakes her head and calls me a perfectionist. Have I been overly obsessive about this very minor problem? This bothers me like some people get irritated by the seconds hand not hitting the markers on a quartz analogue watch.

Dave
    no. you are not wrong at all. if you are wrong its for having any doubts about taking it back.
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Blog Entries

Without doubt, get it sorted, once spotted, never overlooked !
    Almost wants you to think it's a moveable bezel that out of alignment !

good luck
    Peter

Craftsman

You did the right thing, I couldn't put up with the mis-alignment, lets hope it comes back right...

Craftsman

I would bring it to the attention of Bremont directly.
    I am a little biased, having 2 of them, but their customer service directly has been first class. The principals of the company are good blokes from what I've seen.
    And no, you should chase it up, no mistake.

Quote Originally Posted by dforgrieve
    Hi all.

Dave
    Was he blind?

Master

On a £200 watch, fine. On a £2000 watch, not impressive at all... kind of reinforces my view that Bremont are ambitiously priced principally for marketing reasons.

Apprentice

Hi, I quite agree that some AD's have a poor record of aftersales, I would tell them about posting the prob on the web and sent it back to Bremont myself. :blackeye:

You can see it straight away, I would take it back too. Hope that you get it sorted.

Banned

totaly correct thing to do if they miss that what else had they missed?

Master

Oh dear: a visibly defective watch - we are talking precision technology here, after all - and far-from-impressive service from "your" AD. Who are they? Certainly not the finest ambassadors for Bremont, who might be interested to know.

One thing one can expect from the authorised dealer of an expensive watch is sparkling customer service. That's what their cut is paying for, after all.

The heart sinks at the idea of one of the staff being "dismissive", even if he does rejoice in the grand title of "partner".

Strange, how the word "perfectionist" has become a pejorative word. Thank goodness some people - and watchmakers - still aspire to it...

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by Rizzio
    and far-from-impressive service from "your" AD. Who are they? Certainly not the finest ambassadors for Bremont, who might be interested to know.

One thing one can expect from the authorised dealer of an expensive watch is sparkling customer service. That's what their cut is paying for, after all.

The heart sinks at the idea of one of the staff being "dismissive", even if he does rejoice in the grand title of "partner".
    Completely agree.

Its not the alignment which is a problem for me. It much more the gap between the sides of the strap end-piece and the lugs - Especially at 6 o/c - looks like at least 0.4mm which on a 20mm lug (I assume) is a 2% tolerance. Not great. You cannot a fag paper between the strap and the lugs on my GP or FM.

I do like the dial and the day/date arangement though.

Andy

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Master

Thanks for all the replies Gentlemen.

Always good to know it was not just me who gets bothered by these little things.

In defense of my AD. Their level of service is usually excellent. We purchased our wedding rings there and they tolerated me sending mine in for refinishing twice before I got used to it being a scratch magnet. Since then I have bought several jewellery items for my wife. Unlike some, you are well received regardless of you spending a few pounds or thousands. Perhaps dismissive was the wrong word to use, as he did as I requested and took the watch in for adjusting. I did leave feeling like I was being a being a bit obsessive about a small problem hence my original post.

The term partner merely refers to him being a family member in what is a family owned and run business.

The end links on the bracelet have likely been affected by me changing to leather now and then. It is a complete PITA to fit back on, requiring patience and some brute force.

Having contacted Bremont before I have sent them a email about the watch. In my experience Bremont's Customer Service has been without fault. They are still a small company who take customer satisfaction seriously.

Cheers

Dave