closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: I'm in love..... but OTOH....

I'm in love..... but OTOH....

Just saw a picture of the new Richard Habring over on the Purists' AHCI forum:

This is very close to my ideal watch!

Here's more:

http://www.network54.com/Forum/message? ... 80989&pp=x

OTOH, it's not that dissimilar to this:

What do you think?

Bernard

Master
    Yep.

Buy the PRS-8 you will not regret it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Jr
    OK, tell me more.... 8)

Quote Originally Posted by BernardF
    OK, tell me more.... 8)
    My personnal opinion is the PRS-8 is a classic design that sits well on my wrist and is very comfortable to wear. If you are looking for the case size etc. Eddie has all of this info in the watches description. I replaced the supplied brown leather strap with a slight double ridge black leather strap, also fitted it with a deployant. I have gotten many favorable comments from non-wis's which I very rarely get. As far as timekeeping goes, I don't time my watches I am a set-em and forget-em type of guy and very rarely wear the same watch twice in one week. And with a nicely decorated Unitas movement under it's display back what more could you want. Also there are only a few, I think 25 in existance Eddie could correct me if I am wrong.

My personnal opinion is the PRS-8 is a classic design that sits well on my wrist and is very comfortable to wear. If you are looking for the case size etc. Eddie has all of this info in the watches description. I replaced the supplied brown leather strap with a slight double ridge black leather strap, also fitted it with a deployant. I have gotten many favorable comments from non-wis's which I very rarely get. As far as timekeeping goes, I don't time my watches I am a set-em and forget-em type of guy and very rarely wear the same watch twice in one week. And with a nicely decorated Unitas movement under it's display back what more could you want. Also there are only a few, I think 25 in existance Eddie could correct me if I am wrong.
    So the PRS-8 is the Richmond Spencer? I love the dial and case design, and I will seriously consider it. It has a snap back, doesn't it?

Yes the PRS-8 is the Richmond Spenser and it does have a snap-on back. Tempus has one also.

Yes the PRS-8 is the Richmond Spenser and it does have a snap-on back. Tempus has one also.
    Aha, thanks! OK, I'm intrigued. BTW, this is the story of my WIS life: whenever I actually got the watch I lusted after for a long time, I've been terribly disappointed. However, when I settled for something which came up by chance, it has grown on me and now it has become part of me, so to speak. Case in point:

I wanted an AHCI watch, but couldn't afford the Vianney Halter or Speake-Marin I really wanted. Then I read about the Nienaber, got it and love it to bits! The same for the other watches on my never-seller list:

I wanted a Patek Calatrava, got the GP. I wanted a JLC vintage, got the Benson Tropical. I wanted a Breitling B1, got the Pluton. Saved a lot of money, and I am thoroughly happy with my choices. I know that one could say that I went with second-rate choices, but OTOH whenever I spent a lot of money on my dream watch, I got terribly disappointed and sold the watch after a while. The others are still with me....

So instead of the Habring (or the Benzinger I was also considering) I may actually get the PRS-8...

Bernard

Master
    The Richmond Spencer is a beautifully finished watch. It is on the large side for me, but I found that a constant width strap, rather than the tapered one supplied, lessens the impact of its size. I have been very happy with mine, and think you will be too.

Kevin

........................whenever I actually got the watch I lusted after for a long time, I've been terribly disappointed. However, when I settled for something which came up by chance, it has grown on me and now it has become part of me, so to speak. ..............

Bernard
    People forget that ?thinking time? is very much part of the ?ownership equation? ... and the most important part, at that. ... You can develop it as a trick ... where you can overthink yourself out of buying all sorts of watches. :shock: :D

john
    THIN is the new BLACK

DELETED

Quote Originally Posted by new scuba
    where you can overthink yourself out of buying all sorts of watches.
    Not just me then...... :D
    I suppose so... But then I actually did buy the watches I lusted for, and my fascination lasted a couple of months at the most. The funny thing is that all the reasons for buying the watch in the first place were still there, but it just didn't *feel* right. In one case I actually made it the centrepiece of a collection, but I never really wore any of them with pleasure. One thing all my "sellers" had in common was the amount of hype they generated on-line and off-line. When I look at my list of "never-sellers" (as I call them) they are all watches no one really appreciated, and I had to start the discussion on them myself. For instance, I got interested in vintage GPs long before the GP forum on the Purists raised awareness about them. Nienaber is still largely ignored by the AHCI fans. British vintage is still seen as second-rate to Swiss or German vintage, only in Japan there seems to be any interest. And a Breitling with a Japanese movement? :roll:

I've gone through several collecting waves (IWC, JLC, Omega Speedmasters, Minerva, German vintage), and they left me rather skeptical about what drives ones choices. Nowadays I act much more according to my gut feeling, and less based on other collectors' opinions.

So yes, I agree that one can overruminate (is that a word?) when it comes to watches, but the way my particular WIS neurosis has developed is actually in the opposite direction.

This is a great discussion (therapy? :wink: )!

Bernard

Master
    What does the Nienaber look like, please?

Quote Originally Posted by Tinker
    What does the Nienaber look like, please?
    Here you go:

You can also check out my review (which doesn't work well in Mozilla/Netscape/Firefox):

http://www.eden-hms.com/RN/RN1.htm

Bernard

This is a great discussion (therapy? :wink: )!

Bernard
    It's called co-counselling. :geek:

john
    THIN is the new BLACK

Master

Re: I'm in love..... but OTOH....

Noticed local dealer had a few Harbring watches in their case. Had read about them so took a look. VERY unassuming watch... from the outside. Happened to have my 10x loupe with me (I carry it around for occasions like this). Wow!!! It really is a very finely made watch. They had had a crown operated choronograph, but it was picked up by its buyer just a few days before. I asked the dealer what they thought of it and, (perhaps of course) they said it was good. Said it felt about the same as pushing a "pusher" - same pressure/resistance, and same "give" on actually depression/rotation.

They've sold at least 4 of them (mentioned individually - could be more). Considering Habring has made, what, 70 watches in total? We might have the biggest concentration of Habrings in the world.

And the Habrings were just there, at the store, about 10 days before. They delivered a finished watch (the chronogragh) to the new owner and gave a little show/presentation. (So that would be about a month ago now).

Paying that much for a watch I'd hate to scratch it or anything like that. Wish they could put their movement into a Damasko case.