closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: CWC MWC divers watcxh comparison photos

CWC MWC divers watcxh comparison photos

First an apology for the crap photos but i am using my phone and net book with out any photo enhancing softwear at all.

I was lucky to get both of these at the same time but should swerve as a guide for any one looking to buy am MWC over a CWC, i am sure the MWC is cheaper but not by a lot and from what you will see, the CWC is a far better watch.

I wont be writing a lot here as it is late but i thought you should see the striking differences

Case dimensions are with in a gnats knacker of each other but the finish is very different, the CWC on the right is over 20 years old and the MWC is only 5, both have seen service in the same regiment and similar jobs

Case side profile and height is the same

Case backs look similar but the NSN on the MWC is a fabricated number

Inside we see that the mwc has no dust cover for a start

and when we look at the movements we see the mwc has an ETA no jewel movement but the CWC has 7 jewels and a far better movement

The dial finish also plays a lot in the way these watches perform and you can see clearly here the non reflective mat finish to the CWC overe the almost glossy finish to the MWC

The lume is better on the MWC but it should be as it is a far newer watch

The gaskets are thicker on the CWC and the over all quality is there from the click feel in the bezel to the feel of the threads on the screw down crown, the MWC had come in for a new crystal and the dial to be righted after the dial feet had decided they need a break from the dial, The CWC for a new battery and a new crystal. both crystals were the same @ 31.02mm and 2.51mm thick and will be replaced with sternkreuz mineral.

Now safely tucked away and waiting for the new crystal to arrive

I will add some more detail to this later on when i have a bit more time

Re: CWC MWC divers watcxh comparison photos

My advise is if you want one of these shell out for the CWC, with out a doupt at all in my mind even if the MWC does only cost £199 and the CWC £299 at least you get some quality in the CWC and it IS built to mil specs ie solid strap bars instead of flimsy spring bars.

Banned

thanks thats an informative article
    personaly i wont ever buy an mwc seems a con job to me.
    wouldnt mind a cwc diver one day though.
    reading between the lines do you fix watches for the army or are they yours?

I fix watches for the army only to gain experience for my BHI studies hence to 42 scrap cwc's that i am working through for my QM, 24 fixed from this scrap. These two are from friends that are serving or have served with me and as jobs for a small fee, ie parts prices and a beer

Craftsman

Andy,

What language date wheel is in the CWC? Seems unusual not being in English.

Terry

Enlish and french, this movement alows for a dual language, what ever you set it too on the quick set will always be displayed until you change it.

Craftsman

Thanks Andy, so it would be the standard MOD issue from CWC then?

Terry

Yep, this was issued in around 85, although the general descriptor states SBS it was possible for certain jobs and rolls to get hold of these, I will leave that at that.

The MWC was never issued nor should it be.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Schuhren
    I fix watches for the army only to gain experience for my BHI studies hence to 42 scrap cwc's that i am working through for my QM, 24 fixed from this scrap. These two are from friends that are serving or have served with me and as jobs for a small fee, ie parts prices and a beer
    have they had to buy the watches themselves then and not issued
    do you have a cwc yourself?

Andy, this is really interesting. I am waiting for an "issued" SBS to arrive and I have been reading all the threads about issue numbers etc. I note that although the CWC in your photo has seen service, it has no issue numbers under the arrow nor does it have the rating etc around the edge of the caseback. It would seem that there is a variation in markings, i.e. not all issued divers have an "issue" number or rating markings? Of the CWCs you have seen, are they all different on the caseback?

(By the way, personally I just like the watch and the fact it might have been issued is a bonus but I am curious!).

Regards

Jon'.

Banned

i think its because you can buy a unissued watch from silvermans but it still has a NATO no.
    that's why i asked if this one was issued our self bought.
    i really like the look of them and if they have history even better,ive not seen one in real life.
    do you mind me asking how much you paid and were from?

The CWC was issued some time in the early 80s and does not have a serial number
    The MWC has sme BS number on the back and rating to 30ATM 990ft

Out of 19 CWC g`10 case backs on my desk non have a rating on it, infact i have only seen one with a rating and i nicked it for my self, I will photo it later if i get chance

I dont see alot of divers watches so dont have a masive experience with the numbering.

Hi Andy,

We're enjoying your posts and their insight to military life. Keep them coming.

You've given us a (what's the collective noun for CWC G10's ?) shed load? probably an arm full, of the aforementioned, and a leftie. What's next?

What about a CWC G10 bullhead!!?? :D :D

I was trying to make a pulsar g10, cwc hibrid with luminover and date but i did not have a stem long enough.

Any way who was asking about ratings on the back of watches. As i said i have only seen one case back with a rating so i put that on my lefty just to make it a bit more unique

non of the others have them

I've just checked 93 CWC G10 case backs and not a single one has a WR rating stamped on, so yours is indeed a rarity Andy.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Good post Andy. Thanks.

Eddie, why have you got 93 CWC G10 case backs?

Quote Originally Posted by hogthrob
    Good post Andy. Thanks.

Eddie, why have you got 93 CWC G10 case backs?
    I've got 93 CWC G10s which need new batteries and crystals.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

They'll be worth a few quid when you get round to fixing them :shock:

N 28 deg, 31' 18.4902 W80 deg 33' 40.035"

Sell them as fixer-upers?

Quote Originally Posted by lysanderxiii
    Sell them as fixer-upers?
    I could do that but some of them might be duff and I'd prefer to check them all. If I'm checking them, I might as well fit new batteries and crystals.

Eddie

PS. Unless someone wants to make an offer for the lot.

That is alot of G10 action Eddie. Nice to find some thing rare in that pile i am reparing then

Great comparison Andy, I never thought much of MWC and that backs it up.
    May I ask how someone other than yourself could tell if a CWC like that was issued if it had no issue marks? Do you only know because of records from the QM or is there something on the watch that could identify it in some way, an older quartz verson movement perhaps? I don't know if Silvermans sold the SBS to the public back in '85 so if there was some way to date the watch then maybe that means it must have been issued?

regards

John.

Master

Any of those CWC have a working movement for a CWC Navigator (G10 with date) Fat Case? My 1981 version is playing up and I've not been able to find a replacement movement...

I have a couple of the older fat case which work.

Eddie

Hi all

CWC started to put the depth rating on the back of all G10s in the early 00s I believe, likewise the 'professional' blurb on the back of the diver watches.

Cheers

Ewan

CWC G10s started putting depth ratings on all issued models in 2004 when they got the contract back with the MOD

Cheers

Peter (Nimrod)

Quote Originally Posted by Nimrod
    CWC G10s started putting depth ratings on all issued models in 2004 when they got the contract back with the MOD

Cheers

Peter (Nimrod)
    But in light of tender which went out this year, there may well be another change of supplier.

Eddie

:bounce:

Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne
    But in light of tender which went out this year, there may well be another change of supplier.

Eddie
    Precista?

Is there a reason why the hour hand should be so off line at 6 mins past the hour?

Quote Originally Posted by avantgardaclue
    Is there a reason why the hour hand should be so off line at 6 mins past the hour?
    That's the watch where the dial feet have broken, allowing the dial to rotate within the case. So, the hands are correct and the dial is wrong.

ref the CWC being issued, the person who owns it told me it was issued and i have no reason to doupt him or why he has it

ref case back ratings your right just checked my case back os 138/04

ref tender Eddie are they going to give us presistas, can i have a repair contract for germany if you win :bounce:

As I mentioned earlier on this thread, I have recently bought an issued SBS diver. I particularly liked the SBS diver when I saw it in Konrad Knirim's new book and there seems to be a great deal of interest in them, especially any issued versions.

When this one appeared for sale on the bay the vendor said it was not working, posted rather blurred photos and did not mention that it was issued. Although no issue numbers were visible in the photo I emailed him and he confirmed the numbers. I took a chance - intending to mod' it if it was a "disappointment" - and...I am delighted with it!

First of all, after some fiddling it does work although I will have it serviced anyway. Secondly, the issue numbers on the back are consistent with those in Konrad's book - it still has the clear plastic cover and red mark on the caseback, just like the one in "The Book".

To keep it "OEM" I ordered a new black Nato from CWC but I am wearing it on one of Eddie's.

The day display is in both English and French. I understand that 0555 means it was issued to the Marines rather than SBS.

The only trouble is, although these are not particularly valuable and this one obviously has not seen action, presumably there are not that many issued ones around (apparently the Marines used to play conkers with them) and as the caseback is rather untouched with the red mark etc I am wondering about putting it away and buying something else. Any thoughts?

A few photos for you below, with Konrad's book.

In the one below you can see the red mark and just make out the issue number on mine - 379/01 - just like the one below it. The casebacks of the two on the bottom row make an interesting comparison.

Regards

Jon'.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by StampeSV4
    I understand that 0555 means it was issued to the Marines rather than SBS.
    I think the 0555 number generally implies Royal Navy issue rather than a specific arm of the RN - the SBS being part of the Royal Marines and the Royal Marines being part of the Royal Navy.

Quote Originally Posted by HappyJack
    I think the 0555 number generally implies Royal Navy issue rather than a specific arm of the RN - the SBS being part of the Royal Marines and the Royal Marines being part of the Royal Navy.
    Hi there, the SBS ain't always recuited from the Royal marines. I had one of these watches (sold recently) with the 0552. The soldier had served both in the SAS and later the SBS. I'm guessing he was issued the 0552 watch (when seconded to the SBS) as he wasn't a royal marine, therefore they presumeably issued him a navy marked watch. :o

Master

With regard to the red mark, isn't that just the usual case back protector sticker that generally comes on most watches that have been serviced? As in the ones sold by O Frei for $9.80 for 100?

ref the CWC being issued, the person who owns it told me it was issued and i have no reason to doupt him or why he has it

ref case back ratings your right just checked my case back os 138/04

ref tender Eddie are they going to give us presistas, can i have a repair contract for germany if you win :bounce:
    They've just gone out to tender again and looking at Pulsar. Of course this doesn't mean they will change, it just means they're looking for a bit more discount. :wink:

Eddie

...The day display is in both English and French.

1. My date wheel is English and Spanish.. !!
    LUN-es
    MAR-tes
    MIE-rcoles
    JUE-ves
    VIE-rnes
    SAB-ado
    DOM-ingo

2. Correct.. 0555 is RM (of which the SBS is part), 0552 is RN

And if issue numbers make them that bit more special, i think mine's a bit more bit more special..

..the # is 001/00 8)

jw

Jon' , nice to see it pictured next to the book.

regards

siggy

Craftsman
    Blog Entries

interesting thread this, although I'm coming into it massively late...

Am quite interested in the 'fixability' of G10s as there are quite a few on the 'Bay for a couple of quid that don't work - anyone know if they are 'lemon squeezy' to mend or should I give a wide berth?

Just got into tinkering, that's all......

Meat

The lume is better on the MWC but it should be as it is a far newer watch
    Is it possible that the MWC fraudulently has Luminova based lume even though it has T on the dial?

You never know with MWC, it could be made from any thing.