timefactors watches

Thread: Linhof Technika 70 Photo Essay

Linhof Technika 70 Photo Essay

The Linhof Technika 70 is a medium format coupled rangefinder camera dating from c. 1963.
    The first picture shows it in use as a "normal" camera with a telephoto lens fitted when composition and focusing are achieved via the rangefinder viewfinder.

This picture demonstrates the camera's macro capability and versatility using a standard lens with maximum bellows extension via the triple extension track. Close-up composition is achieved using the ground glass focusing screen in the back of the camera.

Here the camera's versatility for perspective control and depth of field control using lens movements is demonstrated. The front lens standard can be tilted on a horizontal axis and also laterally shifted with vertical rise. The back of the camera can be swung in all directions.

Composition using movements is achieved using the ground glass viewing screen. A roll film back can quickly be substituted for the focusing screen. Here the ground glass and hood has been removed and the revolving film back is ready for attachment. Note that each roll film holder has a "dark slide" to shield the film until the back is attached. After attachment the dark slide is pulled out ... and then to avoid fogging the film it is inserted again before the back is removed.

A selection of roll film backs for 6x6, 6x7 and 6x9 formats are available. Interchangeable backs facilitate use of different films as well as different formats. In this picture one of the dark slides can be seen partially removed (but with no film in the holder!)

The film backs revolve thus aiding eg landscape or portrait mode composition when using the rangefinder viewfinder rather than the ground glass

However, square format 6x6 backs like the one in the foreground do not require turning.

The camera can be used withy a variety of lenses. Linhof always tests any lenses sold with its cameras hence the red "Technika" logo on the front of the Schneider lens mount.

Each lens is coupled to the camera's rangefinder mechanism via the triple profile rangefinder cam .

The Linhof factory has stamped each of the three lens' serial numbers and focal length onto its respective cam profile.
    When the lens is focused, the cam profile activates levers adjusting the mirrors and prisms in the rangefinder until two partial images visible in the viewfinder are superimposed on each other. When both images coincide the subject is in focus. Each of the three cam profiles has to be moved into alignment every time a lens is changed. Here you see the 100mm lens' cam mark correctly aligned with the arrow.

Additional lenses over and above the original three would require an additional cam .. and also additional infinity stops (see below).

Each lens also requires calibrating for infinity focus ie at its minimum film plane to infinity focus distance. This is achieved by use of three pairs of tiny hinged "stops" on the focusing rail. The rear stops are for the wide angle lens, the centre stops for the standard lens and the front pair are for the telephoto. The respective stops when swung up in vertical mode prevent the lens moving past its infinity distance setting. Focusing is achieved by means of the finger roller at the front of the baseboard.

The built in selenium meter has an accessory sliding incident light panel to facilitate accurate exposure measurement.

A Beattie Intenscreen has been retrofitted which provides a focusing image very much brighter than the original ground glass. Beattie screens are very expensive to buy new but relatively cheap on the used market.

Here are a couple of shots of the complete outfit. When I first bought it there were only two roll film backs but I've added two more ... and also found a better condition Linhof outfit case

Linhof camera engineering is probably without equal and their products are a pleasure to use.

When I first bought the camera I was unaware of its "Achilles Heel" which is the baseboard locking clip - they tend to break if treated too roughly. The camera was thus taken to Linhof & Studio for repair but the replacement of the clip required total dismantling which was quite expensive but also included a complete camera overhaul/service. The repair technician then decided to send the camera back to me via first class mail but it went missing in transit without any insurance. Two months later I was just about to start proceedings to recover the cost of the outfit from the repairer when a Parcelforce van pulled outside my house with a large package - it was the camera outfit. Someone in Royal Mail had decided to tranship the package via Parcelforce and it had got lost in one of their depots. Meantime we had tried just about every avenue within Royal Mail to trace it and had just about given up hope of it ever turning up.

Cheers

dunk
    " but the greatest gift the railways give to us is the proper treatment of time." John Betjeman , BBC Home Service radio broadcast 4 July 1940.

Re: Linhof Technika 70 Photo Essay

That's a very cool camera. It looks like you have the whole shooting match there, tool.

(About macro with the ground glass. I find it very fine. The combination of the ground glass and double/triple extension bellows makes a wonder macro system.)

Best wishes,
    Bob

Master

That's a great camera. I have had a play with one and I was very impressed with its build quality and its sheer versatility.

Quote Originally Posted by derek_faker
    That's a great camera. I have had a play with one and I was very impressed with its build quality and its sheer versatility.
    Apart from the baseboard to body, locking button mechanism the camera is superbly made and bullet proof. And the lenses were all tested by Linhof before sale ... any not up to standard are rejected.

Cheers

dunk
    " but the greatest gift the railways give to us is the proper treatment of time." John Betjeman , BBC Home Service radio broadcast 4 July 1940.

Craftsman

Nice tool. Heavy to cart around?

Quote Originally Posted by craggie
    Nice tool. Heavy to cart around?
    Heavy if you need more than one roll film back plus focusing screen and a tripod. Not too bad with just one lens and one film back and no focusing back ie use the lens with the rangefinder rather than the focusing back.

Cheers

dunk