timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Rolex myth

The Rolex myth

The end! :twisted:

Re: The Rolex myth

Quote Originally Posted by Skipper
    Many years ago I bought an almost new Rolex Submariner, I was in love!! Well I was for a few weeks anyway. The thing was a crap timekeeper, so I sent in to be regulated, three times!! It went OK for a few days then went crap again, after some months I traded it for some cash and an Omega Speedmaster.
    Several people I know have had similar things with Rolex, I honestly think that you can get a far superior watch for far less money. I further think that you are buying into a name rather than exceptional timekeeping!
    A guy that I worked with had a Submariner, he also had a real good fake, you could not tell one from the other. But the fake actually kept great time, I think it had an ETA movement in it.
    Anyway that is just my view based on my experience, anyone had a similar experience?

Are you sure it was a real one mate? I'm finding it hard to take in that a snide kept better time
    than a real rolex :shock: Never Ever heard that before :!:

If you could not tell the difference then how would you know if the one you had was real?
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Thomas Reid

There we go. A perfect trolling expedition. ;)

Best wishes,
    Bob

PS I was hoping for a really good story, perhaps something like the first Rolex slid down a moonbeam, or somesuch.
    RLF

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK
    If you could not tell the difference then how would you know if the one you had was real?
    Indeed... :roll:

Why do people post these silly threads.

Grand Master

You're buying into the name for almost any watch over £500, you say you went to an omega, they're just as bad, same with Panerai, Patek, JLC, VC, AP, etc, etc, etc.

I've stated this many times, when you pay this amount for a watch, you're not paying for what it does because every watch does the same, infact a quartz does a better job, so you're paying for what appeals to you, which will be the look, the name, the history and the work that's gone into it. As for the Submariner, i've had 3 of them, all of them have worked flawlessly, the last one ran at about +1 to +2 seconds a day, everyday, but the Damasko i had ran at less than +1 second a day with its ETA movement.

Quote Originally Posted by rfrazier

Best wishes,
    Bob

PS I was hoping for a really good story, perhaps something like the first Rolex slid down a moonbeam, or somesuch.
    RLF
    Indeed Bob - perhaps there is a Rolex on Mars
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Master

Many years ago I bought an almost new Rolex Submariner, I was in love!! Well I was for a few weeks anyway. The thing was a crap timekeeper, so I sent in to be regulated, three times!! It went OK for a few days then went crap again, after some months I traded it for some cash and an Omega Speedmaster.
    Several people I know have had similar things with Rolex, I honestly think that you can get a far superior watch for far less money. I further think that you are buying into a name rather than exceptional timekeeping!
    A guy that I worked with had a Submariner, he also had a real good fake, you could not tell one from the other. But the fake actually kept great time, I think it had an ETA movement in it.
    Anyway that is just my view based on my experience, anyone had a similar experience?
    :shock: :shock: :shock:
    why didnt you tell me this years ago. all that money down the drain :(

Grand Master

One watch gave trouble? Must be a myth for us all then :roll:
    ...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!

I have a second hand sub bought it years ago and I had to send it to be regulated 3 times but now it has run for a long time and keeps 2/3 seconds a day no problems I just love them :)

Craftsman

Some yrs back, I bought a old Navitimer when working nr Saarbrucken. Thing was effin usless & despite major work remained that way until I traded it.

Since then I have bought two other Breitlings that have both been flawless performers in 10 & 12 yrs that I have owned them.

Sometimes, you will get a duffer regardless of cost, be it Rolex, Omega etc, but they are usually repairable or if new watches, replaceable under warranty.

Cheers

Craftsman

There's bound to be a bad apple in every batch no matter what your buying.

I have a 1966 Sub that was recently serviced, it's running less than 2 secs per day off.

Oh, and two from the mid-1980s, neither of which have been recently serviced, they're both running less than 6 secs a day off.

Horrible quality, terrible accuracy. I WAS ROBBED :D

Quote Originally Posted by rfrazier

Best wishes,
    Bob

RLF
    Spot on!

Blog Entries

Owned a couple of Rolex over the years :wink: and in truth never had a timekeeping issue with any of them but as i really do not care if my watch is out a few seconds per day as i do not live or work to those parameters it would not be an issue in truth you want total accuracy buy a quartz.

Martin
    I FEEL LIKE I'M DIAGONALLY PARKED IN A PARALLEL UNIVERSE

In another such exercise two years ago, I said the following - and it gets more true every time I wear the offending article!!:

"I have recently got myself a new 'M' series Sub, and (I suppose) like any new owner, have been admiring it and comparing various parts of it to my other watches. I know that there are certain areas that have attracted comment over the years, and taking them individually, I can understand that, because:

- The bracelet isn't a patch on my Vostok 'Red Sea'
    - The hands are nowhere near as good as my Tag Aquagraph
    - The lume can't compare to any of my Seiko Monsters
    - The accuracy (+2 secs daily) is worse than my Fortis Cosmo (+1 sec daily)
    - The bezel isn't as robust as my Stowa Seatime

But who cares! It is a superb watch, and for once every member of my family actually admires it. My wife thinks it is smart, my son (who tells the time from his mobile 'phone) says it is 'cool', my daughter thinks it is elegant (???), and I can't seem to get it off my wrist! A great watch, that does exactly what it says on the box. So what if the bracelet is a bit weedy - overall, it's great, and I can't get enough of it - I'm a very happy bunny!!"

An SD never sits properly on my wrist, but the Sub fits like the proverbial glove. Everyone should have one! 8)

Master

It’s all about what you want in life and making a choice to suit that lifestyle. Rolex watches have an unmistakable appeal about them, whether that’s the look, style, feel, or the name. They are pretty unmistakable, despite odd quirks such as peculiar timekeeping - this can be rectified, but like other commentators on this thread, that is something that does not bother me and adds to the attraction of a mechanically operated wristwatch. If it makes you feel good, or if it looks good on your wrist, then why not?

Master
    A little fishing village on the banks of the mersey.

an old saying, people who don,t need to know the time buy a rolex.those who do buy a casio.

N 28 deg, 31' 18.4902 W80 deg 33' 40.035"

Many years ago I bought an almost new Rolex Submariner, I was in love!! Well I was for a few weeks anyway. The thing was a crap timekeeper........Several people I know have had similar things with Rolex, I honestly think that you can get a far superior watch for far less money. I further think that you are buying into a name rather than exceptional timekeeping!
    ?
    Firstly, sorry to hear that you have a bad experience with your Rolex, sounds like an official Rolex PR.

I think Rolex do produce high quality watches but whether they worth that much is meaningless to argue any more.

In the Asian communities, Rolex signifies wealth and social status and always regards as a life long target for guys who work so hard not only for their families but a piece of Rolex on their wrists.

My suggestion, you got to own a piece of Rolex for the rest of your life, love it? Hate it then sell it to use the money to buy a Seiko. But you won’t be regret having experience with a Rolex.

I would rather use a genuine Seiko but never a fake Rolex. A fake destroys the idea of buying a Rolex. I feel ashamed when someone find out that it is fake and don't bother to tell them how "real" is my fake.

Master

The thing with Rolex is-no other brand retains its value so well.
    So you buy one, and if you are really dissatisfied, you sell it and get something else. Simple as that

Alex

I have worn my SD constantly for 5 weeks and haven't had to touch it to reset the time. I think it might run about +1 per day but crown up at night keeps all in perfect balance.

I like the moonbeam theory, I wonder if there's something in it?

Blog Entries

There's allways a bad story about a big brand coming from someone.
    I currently do not own a Rolex, but the one I traded a few months ago did run a perfect 4 seconds a day for 5 years.
    So now I should say, Rolex makes the best watch in the world, better than everyone else.
    Guess you had a bit of bad luck, don't get frustrated, buy another brand :) .

Cheers,

Daddel.
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

I´m not that bothered counting the seconds in life, its what you do with them that matters...

Never had a problem with any Rolex, they tend to keep correct time. (now, Breitling on the other hand...)

Troll. :roll:

Quote Originally Posted by lysanderxiii
    Now... I'll bet that he wears a Rolex and doesn't care what the time is... :lol:

I'm not sure I even know whether any of my watches keep good time! What's a few seconds here and there anyway.

However, if that moonbeam story's true then maybe I'll have a rethink my top 3...

Master
    'Rolex myth'?

Myth? It's no myth. Everyone who's anyone knows that Rolex are just crap. Made from Chinese seconds that fell of the production line. Actually, they're just high temp chocolate. Don't wear one when taking the Sunday roast out of the oven or you'll have sauce for the pudding dripping off your wrist.

If it was that many years ago I bet you wish you had kept it. :lol:

Would have been a nice investment. :wink:
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Well a few answers! No not trolling, just a personal observation of a particular product at a particular time! As for my mates fake, how did he tell the diff? His real one had his initials engraved on the back, it was a present from his dad when he finshed college. If I had kept the one I had it would indeed be worth more now, but thats life! As for watches and timekeeping v watches and brand snobbery, well I like watches that keep almost perfect time, if they cost a bomb and will not keep to within a few minutes a day, well as far as I am concerned they are a waste of money, unless as a pure investment. I wont buy a watch for its status, to me a watch is a tool and nothing more! If a watch is handmade by craftsmen but keeps worse time than a watch made by machines, well give me the machine made watch and sack the craftsmen. This opinion is never going to be shared by everyone and I know it. Better made does not really equate to a better time keeper or greater reliability under extreme conditions.
    Some of the most accurate watches in the world are also quite cheap compared to the likes of Rolex, IWC and others. In other words Seiko, Citizen, etc etc.
    I guess this may ruffle a few feathers, but I guess it just depends on how one views the situation.

Blog Entries

I guess a Meistersinger one-hand watch is right up your street then :roll: :D .

Cheers,

Daddel.

Master

Well of course to some people watches are just instruments for telling the time and you may as well have a self-synchronising casio as anything else.

To others they mean so much more - they appreciate the design, the engineering, the heritage, the prestige and so on.

Why does someone want a Ferrari when a Focus gets you from A to B just as well, why does a woman want a real diamond when a synthetic one looks pretty much the same etc etc etc.

Well a few answers! No not trolling, just a personal observation of a particular product at a particular time! As for my mates fake, how did he tell the diff? His real one had his initials engraved on the back, it was a present from his dad when he finshed college.
    That's the only way you could tell..............pull the other one. :lol:

If I had kept the one I had it would indeed be worth more now, but thats life! As for watches and timekeeping v watches and brand snobbery, well I like watches that keep almost perfect time, if they cost a bomb and will not keep to within a few minutes a day, well as far as I am concerned they are a waste of money, unless as a pure investment. I wont buy a watch for its status, to me a watch is a tool and nothing more! If a watch is handmade by craftsmen but keeps worse time than a watch made by machines, well give me the machine made watch and sack the craftsmen. This opinion is never going to be shared by everyone and I know it. Better made does not really equate to a better time keeper or greater reliability under extreme conditions.
    Some of the most accurate watches in the world are also quite cheap compared to the likes of Rolex, IWC and others. In other words Seiko, Citizen, etc etc.
    I guess this may ruffle a few feathers, but I guess it just depends on how one views the situation.
    OK so all you want is a cheap Casio that keeps near perfect time?

Then what are you doing here amongst all us watch snobs? :D

"A watch is a tool and nothing more?"

You are in completely the wrong place. :P
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by SimonH
    Well of course to some people watches are just instruments for telling the time and you may as well have a self-synchronising casio as anything else.

To others they mean so much more - they appreciate the design, the engineering, the heritage, the prestige and so on.

Why does someone want a Ferrari when a Focus gets you from A to B just as well, why does a woman want a real diamond when a synthetic one looks pretty much the same etc etc etc.
    Well a Ferrari because it is fast, even a fast Focus aint that quick! Yes design and asthetics plays a big part too, but function must rule over form in the case of most tools. Two of my mates are airline pilots, one is an ex RAF fighter pilot, both wear Seiko divers watches exclusively. In fact one of the Seiko's used to be mine, a Quartz Pepsi Bezel, and I bought it new in 1984, still accurtate to a few seconds a month too!
    As for women and diamonds, women defy logic and most could not tell diamonds from glass anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C
    Well a few answers! No not trolling, just a personal observation of a particular product at a particular time! As for my mates fake, how did he tell the diff? His real one had his initials engraved on the back, it was a present from his dad when he finshed college.
    That's the only way you could tell..............pull the other one. :lol:

If I had kept the one I had it would indeed be worth more now, but thats life! As for watches and timekeeping v watches and brand snobbery, well I like watches that keep almost perfect time, if they cost a bomb and will not keep to within a few minutes a day, well as far as I am concerned they are a waste of money, unless as a pure investment. I wont buy a watch for its status, to me a watch is a tool and nothing more! If a watch is handmade by craftsmen but keeps worse time than a watch made by machines, well give me the machine made watch and sack the craftsmen. This opinion is never going to be shared by everyone and I know it. Better made does not really equate to a better time keeper or greater reliability under extreme conditions.
    OK so all you want is a cheap Casio that keeps near perfect time?

Then what are you doing here amongst all us watch snobs? :D

"A watch is a tool and nothing more?"

You are in completely the wrong place. :P
    I did not say that I was NOT a watch snob! Just that I will not buy a watch just because of its name! Yes I do have some fairly costly watches, all have kept better time than the Rolex, OK maybe it was a friday afternoon watch, who knows!
    A watch is a tool/instrument for measuring time.

Quote Originally Posted by Daddelvirks
    I guess a Meistersinger one-hand watch is right up your street then :roll: :D .

Cheers,

Daddel.
    I looked at those things!! Quite interesting really. But for that money they are not so hot on accuracy. Better off with a mainstream watch, cheaper too.

Craftsman

but function must rule over form in the case of most tools.

Master

Well a Ferrari because it is fast, even a fast Focus aint that quick!
    Exactly. The intrinsic function of a vehicle is transport people/objects from A to B. A Focus actually does a better job of that than a Ferrari does. I know a handful of people who own Ferraris and without exception they all own other cars to do the day to day grind. The Ferrari brings other qualities to the table such as its speed as you say, the prestige, the heritage, the sense of occasion, the engineering and so on. Which is why people will spend 6 figure sums on one when a ten grand Focus will do the intrinsic function just as well if not better.

So it is with watches.

You may have had a bad experience with Rolexes, but clearly the overwhelming majority of people who own them have no issues. Maybe you were just unlucky with your watch. My Submariner is accurate to a couple of seconds a day and that is just fine as far as I am concerned.

I did not say that I was NOT a watch snob! Just that I will not buy a watch just because of its name!
    Does any WIS? :roll:

Yes I do have some fairly costly watches, all have kept better time than the Rolex, OK maybe it was a friday afternoon watch, who knows!
    What are your costly watches? And why bother with them at all if you think a Seiko quartz is the only thing necessary like your pilot mates. :wink:

Yes I think I understand that but thanks for underlining it anyway. :P
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by SimonH
    Well a Ferrari because it is fast, even a fast Focus aint that quick!
    Exactly. The intrinsic function of a vehicle is transport people/objects from A to B. A Focus actually does a better job of that than a Ferrari does. I know a handful of people who own Ferraris and without exception they all own other cars to do the day to day grind. The Ferrari brings other qualities to the table such as its speed as you say, the prestige, the heritage, the sense of occasion, the engineering and so on. Which is why people will spend 6 figure sums on one when a ten grand Focus will do the intrinsic function just as well if not better.

So it is with watches.

You may have had a bad experience with Rolexes, but clearly the overwhelming majority of people who own them have no issues. Maybe you were just unlucky with your watch. My Submariner is accurate to a couple of seconds a day and that is just fine as far as I am concerned.
    Yes I did have a bad experience with Rolex, considering what they cost they should be faultless! I just fail to inderstand how they justify their reputation in the market these days. There are so many better watches out there, some cheaper, some more costly as I know. That is why I used the term "Rolex Myth" in the first place. Rolex have now been overtaken in terms of quality, technology and prestige. They are so common and there are so many fakes and lookalikes out there too, they just do not seem exclusive anymore, nor that accurate in my own personal experience.

Master

Yes I did have a bad experience with Rolex, considering what they cost they should be faultless! I just fail to inderstand how they justify their reputation in the market these days.
    Because your average Joe Blogs on the street will recognise a Rolex on someone's wrist and it will make a certain statement and for a huge amount of non-WIS folks that's exactly what they want.

Quote Originally Posted by outstretchedhands

Yes I did have a bad experience with Rolex, considering what they cost they should be faultless! I just fail to inderstand how they justify their reputation in the market these days.
    Because your average Joe Blogs on the street will recognise a Rolex on someone's wrist and it will make a certain statement and for a huge amount of non-WIS folks that's exactly what they want.

Yep you are right! Not many people get mugged by a chav becuase they are wearing an IWC. 8)

Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C

I did not say that I was NOT a watch snob! Just that I will not buy a watch just because of its name!
    Does any WIS? :roll:

Yes I do have some fairly costly watches, all have kept better time than the Rolex, OK maybe it was a friday afternoon watch, who knows!
    What are your costly watches? And why bother with them at all if you think a Seiko quartz is the only thing necessary like your pilot mates. :wink:

Yes I think I understand that but thanks for underlining it anyway. :P
    OK the fairly costly stuff , seeing as you asked: IWC IW5004-01, Patek Aquanaut Jumbo, A few Omegas incl a Square co axial chrono and a Fortis Spacematic.
    I have a huge respect for Seiko and Citizen stuff, I no longer have a Seiko but I have couple of Citizens still.

Blog Entries

Better off with a mainstream watch, cheaper too

OK the fairly costly stuff , seeing as you asked: IWC IW5004-01, Patek Aquanaut Jumbo, A few Omegas incl a Square co axial chrono and a Fortis Spacematic.

:roll: :roll: :roll:

Daddel.

Rolex Submariner – expensive homage to Blancpain. IMHIIO.

Quote Originally Posted by Daddelvirks
    Better off with a mainstream watch, cheaper too

:roll: :roll: :roll:

Daddel.
    :lol: :lol:

Craftsman

Similar experience? No.

All the Rolexes I have owned have been excellent timekeepers and I have never owned a fake, ETA powered or otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by Qatar-wol
    Well said, Doha!! :bom:

Quote Originally Posted by Junior
    Quote Originally Posted by Qatar-wol
    Well said, Doha!! :bom:
    :pirate: :arrow: 8)