closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Graham, whats in them?

Master

Graham, whats in them?

Hi all, I've been trying to find out what movements are inside Graham's watches. I'm pretty sure it's not a 7750 or variant thereof, and I've found some indication Jaquet-Droz are involved ? Love the watches but would like to know this before considering actually buying one.

Anyone? :)

Grand Master

Re: Graham, whats in them?

Quote Originally Posted by 744ER
    Hi all, I've been trying to find out what movements are inside Graham's watches. I'm pretty sure it's not a 7750 or variant thereof, and I've found some indication Jaquet-Droz are involved ? Love the watches but would like to know this before considering actually buying one.
    According to various sources, La Joux-Perret takes ETA movements and rebuilds them for Graham. One of them is a 7750 which is converted, rather pointlessly I would have thought, into a column-wheel chrono. Which I assume means LJP stripping the chrono mechanism out of a 7750 and adding its own.
    ...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!

Master

interesting, thanks! so its a 7750 baseplate with various additions then... like the big date etc... Well at least they are doing some heavy modifications to warrant the hefty pricetag, unlike others I could mention?

Each to their own, but I don't feel modding the movements however heavily, would make most Grahams even remotely worth the asking prices.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Master

he'll know

karl

Quote Originally Posted by andy tims
    Each to their own, but I don't feel modding the movements however heavily, would make most Grahams even remotely worth the asking prices.
    +1
    i personally think they are horrid

i think they have some nice designs lately, no idea about the movement.

Slugs and snails and puppy dogs' tails?
    Dave E

Skating away on the thin ice of a new day

Craftsman

Love them! But i prefer the chronofghter, with the smaller ornate pusher, than the oversize with the big chunky one. The old ones are nice too, here's my Oxford:

Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by HEN12Y
    Love them! But i prefer the chronofghter, with the smaller ornate pusher, than the oversize with the big chunky one. The old ones are nice too, here's my Oxford:

Square watches aren't my thing but I'd much rather have that than a Cartier, which I've always thought of as a little grandfather clock around your wrist. Oris makes a few watches with the look of that Graham too.

Graham does attract ridicule for a lot of its watches, often wilfully (you'd think). But I saw one of these a while ago in the flesh, and was mightily impressed:

At first glance I thought I was looking at a Chopard Mille Miglia. The yellow and red accents were subtler in real life. Unfortunately it was twice the price of the Chopard and they've discontinued it anyway in favour of a much larger model with an espresso-making complication.
    ...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!

Master

That square one reminds me of something that I can't place. It looks a bit like the old Gruen Curvex case, but there's something else too... it'll come back to me.

I'm probably being a bit judgemental here, but Graham is a symbol of an unhappy trend in watches for me. Very large, quite ostentatious and incredibly expensive for no obvious reason. It'll be interesting to see how the do over the next coulpe of years.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by andrew
    .........and they've discontinued it anyway in favour of a much larger model with an espresso-making complication.

I would seriously be all over that one!!! :D

Master

It's easy to be converted into a believer when you see them in the flesh... incredible finish and detail on them... and yes they do stick out... but that's the point to some extent... I hated them first time I saw an ad.... love them now! It's not a first or only type of watch though... definitely needs to be added to a collection for a bit of variety.

I'd definitely have one, but not as an everyday watch and not at over £5k.

The Chronofighter Oversize Big Date BRG would be my choice 8) http://www.jurawatches.co.uk/watch.asp?productid=5710

And taken from WatchTime Dec 2008...

Movement: LJP 4303 (derived from Valjoux 7750); diameter = 13 1/4 lignes or 30mm, height = 8.85mm, 28 jewels, Swiss lever escapement; annular balance; Etastable Nivarox hairspring; 28,800 vph; Etachron regulating system, unidirectional rotor; single spring barrel; power reserve of 42 hours +-5%; date corrector

However, they marked it at 13 out of 20 and commented as follows: Base caliber Valijoux 7750, modified by La Joux-Perret to GMT large-date caliber LJP 4303 with two counters; standard decoration with no outstanding features.

So basically it's the bold design that you're buying into, not the movement.

You don't see many offered up as pre-owned though, maybe because they're keepers, or maybe because no one's buying them :wink:

Master

Quote Originally Posted by darrenw

You don't see many offered up as pre-owned though, maybe because they're keepers, or maybe because no one's buying them :wink:

From what I hear its the former... although they are probably not primarily bought by the forum-visiting/often flipping WIS crowd? I got some more info today and apparently LJP do movements for Hublot and Corum and others... only Hublot for instance call them their own whereas Graham do not.

I like that GMT too, someday.... :)

The Chronofighter Oversize Big Date BRG would be my choice 8) http://www.jurawatches.co.uk/watch.asp?productid=5710
    +1

Or I like this: http://www.jurawatches.co.uk/watch.asp?productid=6555

Quote Originally Posted by seaninog

+1

Or I like this: http://www.jurawatches.co.uk/watch.asp?productid=6555
    Yep, that would be my second choice.

Quote Originally Posted by andrew
    ...with an espresso-making complication.
    :lol: :lol: :lol: