closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: REVIEW - Omega Planet Ocean

Craftsman

REVIEW - Omega Planet Ocean

First of all, I want to offer a big thank you to 100thMonkey. Not only did he put faith in dealing with a forum noob, but he also met me a day after me sending him a PM about the watch so I could pick it up. He is a real asset to the community.

Secondly, now that I have entered back into the watch market, I hope to be a part of this community on a regular basis. I have been into time pieces for as long as I can remember, and I’m a massive fan of brands such as Omega, IWC, Glashutte and Panerai.

Thirdly, welcome to my review of the Planet Ocean…….

I consider the Planet Ocean to be among one of the most aesthetically pleasing watches out there. It has an uncluttered dial which is easily readable at all angles and times of the day, yet it is far from boring. The 45mm which is the subject of this review is amazingly comfortable on the rubber strap. I always found the bracelet made the PO a little top heavy, it just didn’t sit right on my wrist.

This little Omega Seamaster tribute thread will take you through the history of the Omega brand, the history of the Seamaster, my little history of owning Omegas and then a little review of the watch itself….oh, and be prepared for alot of writing and alot of pictures!!

History of Omega

The idea of the watch brand was initially conceived by two brothers in 1848. A small office was used for their manufacture but by 1889, they became the largest watch producers in Switzerland.

In 1894, a watch was created which was commended for its design and functionality; the brother’s banker suggested it should be called the Omega, the name that was adopted for the brand itself later in 1903.

In 1909 the brand made its debut in the sporting arena, with the Gordon Bennett ballooning contest using Omega as their official timekeeping equipment. Over the next half a century, many different sports used Omega for similar purposes.

Perhaps the defining point in Omega’s history was the development of the Speedmaster in 1957, and then its later use by Neil Armstrong for the quest to the moon in 1969.

In 1993 a museum was opened for the company, and since then has continued to produce class leading watches at competitive prices.

History of the Seamaster
    The first Seamaster was sold in 1948, the men’s version incorporated a small seconds counter at 6, whilst the ladies came with the standard dial layout.

The first Seamaster 300m was sold in 1957. They were designed to be very robust divers watches, and these models still fetch a premium price due to their heritage and beautiful design

Then over the years, the design gradually changed to what we come to recognise as the SMP. The first was released in 1988. The second generation of this watch was released in 1992, the main change being the hand design. The picture below shows the first generation SMP 200.

The 3rd generation underwent a substantial overhaul, and this is the version that became the iconic line of Seamaster watches, partly due to its appearance in Goldeneye. (NB - Brosnan used the quartz version, not the 2531.80)

Since then, Omega has been the brand that is associated with James Bond, even though Fleming’s original description suggested a Rolex Explorer was used.

The later releases of the SMP included the electric blue, and the 2254 black SMP in 1998, which is considered to be the ‘tool watch’ of the SMP line, whereas the 2531 is the iconic and more popular model among Bond fans.

The co-axial movement was developed in 1999, and put in the latter batches of 2531 SMP’s, before re-releasing them as the 2280.80 model (red Seamaster)

The Planet Ocean is the new comer of the Seamaster series. Its design attempts to recreate the stunning lines of the first SMP300 released in 1957. Again, the link with Bond was reaffirmed with Daniel Craig wearing the 45mm PO on a rubber strap. A special edition was released which included a limited edition caseback, and orange 007 seconds hand, of which I am not a big fan.

Another version was released for the QoS film, which incorporated a carbon effect dial, and an engraving on the crystal. For those who like the Ltd Ed pieces, it went down well, for the hardcore PO fans, it went down like a lead balloon.

History of Omega and Me

Omega has always been a brand that I have had utmost respect for. They know what markets they are producing for, and they do it well.

About a year ago, I treated myself to a 2531.80. I picked it up for a great price, but because it didn’t come with boxes and papers, it was more of a ‘testing the water purchase’ rather than a long term one. However, after owning that watch I knew the Seamaster range was worthwhile of all the hype surrounding it.

The Planet Oceans have always impressed me. The build quality is amazing, and the timekeeping on them is second to none. I therefore knew that the step up to the Planet Ocean from the SMP would be a welcome one.

The Omega Planet Ocean

Vital Stats

Case Diameter – 45mm
    Case Height – 15mm
    Water Resistance – 2000ft
    Power Reserve – 44 Hours (self winding co-axial)
    Crystal - Convex AR coated Sapphire

Versions

The PO was originally released with black bezel with white numbers, and Orange bezel with orange numbers. This catered for those who wanted a classic looking diver, and for those who wanted something a little more outlandish. The Black bezel with Orange numbers was later released for those in between. I have never been a big fan of the latter combo, and prefer the two originals personally.

Box and Papers

The Planet Ocean comes with the full complement of outer and inner boxes, as well as the cards.

The outer box is made from cardboard, and is super sturdy, whilst the legendary red inner box is nicely finished in leather.

Of course as with any Omega, you get the warranty cards and operating manual too.

Overall, it’s a really nice little setup. When it’s not on your wrist, it looks really nice sitting in the box with the hang tag next to it, and makes a really nice display item on a shelf.

Front

The first thing to hit you about the front of the PO is just how nicely the AR compliments the dial. It has a beautifully textured dial, and the finer details are exquisite. For example, the date window has a nicely stepped border which really adds emphasis to that part of the dial.

The readability of the dial is incredible in all conditions. The lume is monstrous, I have to put it in the box at night otherwise it would keep me awake! Additionally, the shape of the hands and lume marker gives the watch face great presence.

The bezel has a nice shine to it, and it clicks around with authority.

Back

The case back is beautifully finished. The Seamaster horse is engraved precisely, and the engravings are finished perfectly. It has the anti-counterfeit logo on the outer part of the case back, and the serial number deeply engraved into the rear of the lugs.

Other

The first thing that you notice is how smooth everything operates. The crown unwinds beautifully, and the date set and time changing functions are equally as smooth. Furthermore, I think the black rubber strap really complements the dial and bezel nicely making it visually stick out on the wrist, whereas the bracelet makes the watch fade into the background.

I really cannot find any faults with this watch, for the price it really brings a lot of satisfaction!

Final Thoughts

Well if you’ve made it this far, I commend your stamina. 50% of people switch off and enter into their own fantasy after 10minutes of intensive concentration, so if nothing else, at least I know that 50% of you have enjoyed my review so far :)

The jump between the SMP and the PO is not all that large in terms of individual components. With the PO, everything about it is slightly better than the SMP. However, the jump between the SMP and the PO as a whole is huge. In terms of overall fit and finish, and overall wrist presence the PO is along way ahead of my previously owned SMP. Because everything on the PO is finished to a higher standard, overall, the watch feels in a different class to that of the SMP.

The PO is an incredible watch. If you are considering buying a mid-range divers watch, I would fully recommend getting a PO. The co-axial movement is a workhorse, and the watch itself makes great for everyday use, be it for sports or formal occasions.

In conclusion I am very happy with this purchase and it will remain in my collection. I have finally found a sports watch that I am truly happy with…..now I live in search of the IWC 3714 :)

Thank you for reading this review, I hope you have enjoyed it. Now onto my favourite section, the closing pictures;

Closing Pictures

Grand Master

Re: REVIEW - Omega Planet Ocean

Superb review and well done that man for the time and effort in this contribution, always good to see new, young blood with passion coming to the fold.
    RIAC

Craftsman

A great review with some rather excellent pictures. That read like a labour of love!

The PO is a great piece and your review certainly does it justice.

Any further south and i would have wet feet

Excellent review and some great pictures...thank's for taking the time to post it.
    I am torn between getting a Railmaster & a Planet Ocean- i have to say that reading this hasn't helped matters (but in a good way!)

WOW, superb review!!

Master

Superb review and stunning pics! :D . The PO has been high on my agenda for a long time, I always thought I would opt for the 42mm on Bracelet but after seeing your wonderful photos I am having to seriously reconsider!! :D. Enjoy it!

Chris

Nicely done review, thanks. I do like the PO, one day I really must bite the bullet and get myself one.
    Dave E

Skating away on the thin ice of a new day

Craftsman

@ everyone - Thanks guys, I really appreciate your comments!

@100thMonkey - it was a pleasure deaing with you, a big thank you again and I loved the Pam you were wearing!

@ Village - That's a tough choice. The Railmaster is certainly more dressy than the PO. I think the lack of AR on the RM (unless you go for the XL) would sway me towards the PO, it makes such a difference to the overall lok of the watch. I think the nice thing with the PO is its versatility, whereas the RM for me would be confined to more formal occassions. Good luck on your quest, you can't really go wrong with either in my opinion!

@UWTC - I have a fairly small wrist and thought the 42mm would fit me better after owning a 2531. However, the 45mm wears really nicely, especially on the rubber! Because it has such smooth and classic lines the 45mm is not intrusive, for example like a Breitling Skyland. It sits nicely on the wrist and it is not too heavy either. I would suggest taking a visit to the AD to try both on but if you go for the 45mm, you won't regret it :)

@admin - I have just noticed the review section on this board, if you feel this post would be better suited to that section please feel free to move it.

Best wishes

James

Fantastic review and wonderful pictures 8)

I've had my eye on one for a while and one day I might just succumb.

Blog Entries

James,

Brilliant review, really enjoyed reading that piece !

When I was young it was the gold PiePan Constellation that was my holy grail, at the time I spend one of my very first paypacks on a Seamaster ( my boss had a Seamaster DeVille with a beautful silvered dial ) which I had for years until was stolen during a burglary, and it's amazing how tastes change with 'growing up'....

Now I was hankering after a GO Sport Evo Pano date, no I'm not sure if it justifies the extra 'mullah' - hmm will have to pop into a local AD this weekend ( any recommendations for Guildford or Brighton area ? )

Thanks again - great reading !!!

Peter

Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by ingenioren
    ( any recommendations for Guildford or Brighton area ? )

You wont go far wrong with Mappin & Webb in Guildford, Christine is probably the best POC
    RIAC

Great

Probably the next purchase on my list - I miss my 42mm - so will probabyl buy a new 45mm - but on a bracelet and track down a rubber strap.

Enjoy - fabulous watch!
    It's just a matter of time...

Grand Master
    Blog Entries

great review, well done for taking the time.

i would just add that although its a great watch, if you use it for the purpose it was made ie diving the bloody bezel inserts fade really really quickly, my smp went from blue to light grey in around 6 months and the po went from orange to silver in less time.

apart from that they are great watches.

cheers
    mike :wink:

Master

My 42mm black and white on rubber is one of my favourite watches. I think I might change into it later on, and wear it all weekend. It's been getting jealous of the 5513 recently. You have to spread you time evenly...

Great review with great pics.

I´ve been eyeing at the 42mm version for some time now. This review definitely doesnt help I am afraid :lol:

Wear it in good health.

Craftsman

Now I was hankering after a GO Sport Evo Pano date, no I'm not sure if it justifies the extra 'mullah' - hmm will have to pop into a local AD this weekend ( any recommendations for Guildford or Brighton area ? )

Peter
    Thank you Peter.

It's funny you should mention the GO SE. I was talking about the same watch with Kerry yesterday when I picked up the PO.

I was in between saving up for the GO, or going for the PO. In the end I just couldn't justify spending all that extra when the PO is such a good watch. Of course the GO SE is in a completely different class, but the PO certainly pulls it weight with the best of them.

If you're in Guildford try Kerry's recommendation above, if you're in Brighton try Watches of Switzerland in the lanes, they carry a numerous amount of brands, Omega being one of them, unfortunately GO isn't though.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by JCJM
    Great review with great pics.

I´ve been eyeing at the 42mm version for some time now. This review definitely doesnt help I am afraid :lol:

Wear it in good health.
    I think we have pretty similar watch-tastes Jussi, and I think you'd love it. Don't hesitate!

Craftsman

Excellent review,
    Having owned several Planet Oceans myself (all being 45mm) IMHO your review is spot on. I couln't get on with the bracelet either, far to heavy for me, and like you stuck with the rubber.But I also had the Croc as well. Have you tried yours on the Croc/ leather? adds a little bit more class to it, and looks great with a shirt.

Master

I strongly suggest that anyone considering this watch tries it with all strap/bracelet configs.

I saw one in a magazine back in the day and went into a jeweller and tried one on the bracelet - didnt do anything for me. About 2 years later I got the chance to try one on rubber and immediately knew I had to have one. Im not saying there's anything wrong with the bracelet, infact its a solid, well-made piece of kit, but it changes the look of the watch quite substantially, and for me that wasn't in a good way.

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by JCowley

Peter
    Thank you Peter.

It's funny you should mention the GO SE. I was talking about the same watch with Kerry yesterday when I picked up the PO.

I was in between saving up for the GO, or going for the PO. In the end I just couldn't justify spending all that extra when the PO is such a good watch. Of course the GO SE is in a completely different class, but the PO certainly pulls it weight with the best of them.

If you're in Guildford try Kerry's recommendation above, if you're in Brighton try Watches of Switzerland in the lanes, they carry a numerous amount of brands, Omega being one of them, unfortunately GO isn't though.

Another good watch shop in brighton is Ocean Jewellers. They stock Unworn & pre owned, from a good selection of brands. They are also located in the lanes, not to far from Watches of Switzerland. Ask for Parvez and he will look after you.

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by stealth

Peter
    Thank you Peter.

Another good watch shop in brighton is Ocean Jewellers. They stock Unworn & pre owned, from a good selection of brands. They are also located in the lanes, not to far from Watches of Switzerland. Ask for Parvez and he will look after you.
    Is that the one around the corner from the vintage gun shop? If it is, I have just remembered that they have a 45mm PO on rubber strap in there for sale at the moment!

Master

great review JCowley - enjoyed reading it & the great pics .. I will get my colleague to read it as he has a PO Chrono .. Like the look of the regular PO but I think I prefer the black Seamaster - seems like everyone wants one now they have been discontinued :(

Great review... thanks. I have been asking people recently just what all the fuss is about with the PO and so I am very grateful for your review which puts a lot of detail on it. :)

Cheers,
    -flugzeit

Craftsman

Excellent review and great pics. Thanks! :)

Interesting review.

Just for the sake of balance is there anything you don't like about the PO? :wink:
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C
    Interesting review.

Just for the sake of balance is there anything you don't like about the PO? :wink:
    Yes.....I hate the fact that I can't take it off of my wrist :lol:

Grand Master

Wake me up before you go PO

I was in between saving up for the GO, or going for the PO.
    So of the GO & the PO I'd be up to go PO rather than GO as the AR is no go on the RM if you don't GO XL. I mean go XL, sorry :)
    ...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!

Blog Entries

Many thanks guys - appreciated,

where should these beasts be pricewise with 'one previous lover' ???

I get the gist bracelet no, strap yes .?

Blog Entries

S'pose this is pushing it a bit...??? :lol: :lol:
    (have'nt found oil in the garden either !!!)

http://www.watchfinder.co.uk/Omega/Plan ... watch.aspx

Blog Entries

That's what I call a great review! Thanks for writing that :)

Blog Entries

Re: Wake me up before you go PO

Quote Originally Posted by andrew
    I was in between saving up for the GO, or going for the PO.
    So of the GO & the PO I'd be up to go PO rather than GO as the AR is no go on the RM if you don't GO XL. I mean go XL, sorry :)

Crumbs, twice daily with water ??? :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Master

Best review I've read in a long time and the background history was great. Thanks for taking the time :)

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by stealth

Peter
    Thank you Peter.

Is that the one around the corner from the vintage gun shop? If it is, I have just remembered that they have a 45mm PO on rubber strap in there for sale at the moment!

Thats the one. Its just round the corner from Lanes Armoury.
    I bough a few pieces from him myself and always get a cracking deal along with great service.

Splendid watch... 99% my next piece but in 42mm version...

S

Journeyman

Very nice review James. :) Thank you.

I am very fond of this watch. My only issue with Omegas as with Rolexes is the shear quantity of them in circulation. I would not feel special or lucky to have one of these on my wrist. IN fact they make me feel like I am buying a box of corn flakes, albeit an expensive, well fabricated one.

From this POV, I much prefer an old vintage sub or one of Eddie's creations which are much more unique. Purely subjective notion of course. I guess I like my ego massaged :D

Stan.

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by clicker
    Very nice review James. :) Thank you.

I am very fond of this watch. My only issue with Omegas as with Rolexes is the shear quantity of them in circulation. I would not feel special or lucky to have one of these on my wrist. IN fact they make me feel like I am buying a box of corn flakes, albeit an expensive, well fabricated one.

From this POV, I much prefer an old vintage sub or one of Eddie's creations which are much more unique. Purely subjective notion of course. I guess I like my ego massaged :D

Stan.
    Very true Stan they are popular watches, but for good reason of course. I would imagine Omega and Rolex are probably the two most commonly bought 'high end' brand....so there are quite a few in circulation....

....however, although they are popular, I have only ever seen one other PO out in the wild. They are common watches amongst the forums, but when you're out in the street, you don't see that many, you'd be lucky to bump into someone who knows that a Planet Ocean isn't some publication by David Attenborough :)

I guess for true uniqueness, you'd be looking at watches with a far bigger price tag such as GO or IWC, or like you say go vintage or something from a brand who not many people would know of, but still give you great quality.

Thanks for your comments

James

Grand Master

Yeah good point!! What Omega should have done was just built a 100 or so of them and that would have made them several thousand pounds each and no one would be able to afford them and they wouldnt be popular!

Hey but at least you wouldnt see anyone else wearing one!!!!

Stan may I suggest you dine on Caviar for breakfast to prevent your ego deflating to a routine Kelloggs production food!!! :lol:
    RIAC

Journeyman

Thanks for your suggestion. :)

But I don't like the taste of caviar and I don't like the idea of caviar either ! It is at the opposite end of the spectrum of what I described as being common: it is valued because it is rare, not because of anything special. On the one hand you have common on the other you have pompous. I prefer the middle way and hence my taste in watches that are not too common neither too exclusive. Call me difficult... I don't mind :D

Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by clicker
    Thanks for your suggestion. :)

But I don't like the taste of caviar and I don't like the idea of caviar either ! It is at the opposite end of the spectrum of what I described as being common: it is valued because it is rare, not because of anything special.
    In your opinion only. In others' opinion, it's the complete opposite - people love the taste and the idea of it, and think it's special.
    On the one hand you have common on the other you have pompous.
    Very true.
    ...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!

Great review of a fantastic watch, great pics too :thumbup: :thumbup: must start saving up for one

Yep, Great review. I've got the 42mm on the SS, but I'm thinking about changing to the strap, it really is a good match.

It's true coming to think of it I've never actually seen a Planet Ocean of any sort in the real world, just on this forum!

Craftsman

Hi
    Nice review and great pics. I got one from an AD in Norway this year on my way home from a skiing holiday. Love the watch but prefer the bracelet due to my monster wrists. Only point that bugged me was i wore it for 5 hours then had to have it in the box to claim the tax back at the airport. I carried it hand luggage then got home and it didnt f****** work!!!!! Is still away at Omega for warranty repair. Still a beautiful watch and the only of the 4 Omegas i have ive had bother with.

Niall

hope this to be my next watch
    reasonably priced and also robust

Journeyman

Great review man! Oh i love this watch, it's one of Omegas finest. I have one big concern though, and that is the size. I can't deside which size to go for. I tried the 42mm at my local AD and I found it a little to small for my taste and then again I think the 45mm is to big for my wrists :D Haha, what an ultimatum. Maby I should go to a dealer which stocks bout of them and wear them on the same time and see which one feels more suitable for me. Although it seems that most ppl go for the 45mm.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Great Review, Cheers.

I generally don't like Omega, but love their 45mm PO but only on a steel bracelet. Hate the orange version as well!

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by PIERS (UK)
    I generally don't like Omega, but love their 45mm PO but only on a steel bracelet. Hate the orange version as well!
    I didn't used to be a fan of the orange version either, but having tried one on with a rubber strap, it does look dead drop gorgeous as a sports watch :)

Journeyman

Nice review!

great pics, good review. Although a bracelet man I prefer the PO on the rubber strap