closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Forum registration suspended

Apprentice

Re: Forum registration suspended

Hi Guys,
    I just registered to contribute to this great forum.
    Have been looking around a lot the last years on this forum, more of a reader than a writer type so to speak.
    Until yesterday i was able to look in the Sales forum, now i have to register and contribute 50 post to actualy get in again... so 1 down 49 to go.....

Only pop in now and then to have a mooch, will have to contribute more posts to be able to get a view at Sales Corner again....

Any reason for the tightening of the regs? problems with any newbies?

Kent

amhosib

I also being a newbie am unable to comprehend the access to sales, suerly it must also restict exposure for the seller.

Quote Originally Posted by amhosib
    I also being a newbie am unable to comprehend the access to sales, suerly it must also restict exposure for the seller.
    Hi another newbie here. I guess restricting access is a good thing as it's made me join after spending 6 months viewing the forum and not actively taking part.

Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by divekent
    Only pop in now and then to have a mooch, will have to contribute more posts to be able to get a view at Sales Corner again....

Any reason for the tightening of the regs? problems with any newbies?

Kent
    There's several posts about this... have a search! Due to scammers i believe

Quote Originally Posted by leasky
    As a newish member, albeit one who has spent almost 4k here since i joined, I have to say I am a tad dissapointed with not being able to view the Sales posts.
    You just don't get it do you - you have not spent £4k here, you have bought £4k worth of watch(es) from other members. Eddie does not get 1p from any activity on sales corner.

Oh well, here comes 31 utterly p#sh posts.......

Indeed - probably your last as well :twisted:

Time to shut the gate?
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK
    Quote Originally Posted by leasky
    As a newish member, albeit one who has spent almost 4k here since i joined, I have to say I am a tad dissapointed with not being able to view the Sales posts.
    You just don't get it do you - you have not spent £4k here, you have bought £4k worth of watch(es) from other members. Eddie does not get 1p from any activity on sales corner.

Oh well, here comes 31 utterly p#sh posts.......

Indeed - probably your last as well :twisted:

Time to shut the gate?
    going by the number of posts you've made - time for you to take a break I think

Quote Originally Posted by amhosib
    I'm very dissapointed too. I love popping in and checking out the nice watches being offered. Now I need to make another 41 posts to get on the salescorner again. :(

Craftsman

hello,

I didn't find any place to introduce myself so I do it here : my name is Nicolas, I am French (nobody's perfect) and I like mechanical watches (of course). I travel for business in London and manchester (unfortunately not really often). I am supporter of the Olympique Lyonnais football club :o
    I hope that i will be able to discuss with you and improve my english.

have a nice week end,

Nicolas

Quote Originally Posted by dennisf
    :(

Why the long face?? You ought to view this as an incentive to actually participate. It's a lot more fun than just browsing, let me tell ya.

Cheers

Stern

Quote Originally Posted by alcmeonide
    hello,

I didn't find any place to introduce myself so I do it here : my name is Nicolas, I am French (nobody's perfect) and I like mechanical watches (of course). I travel for business in London and manchester (unfortunately not really often). I am supporter of the Olympique Lyonnais football club :o
    I hope that i will be able to discuss with you and improve my english.

have a nice week end,

Nicolas

Welcome to the forum, Nicolas :)

Why not start a new thread on "Watch Talk"? Maybe even post some pics of your watches? The lads like that sort of thing, and they will definitely appreciate your sense of humour :D

Cheers

Stern

Greetings to all from darkest Dorset.

I too, have been flushed out of the long grass - after many years grazing from the near distance.

Many thanks to Mr Platts - a man, no doubt, near his wits end after all the endless ramblings re the SC access issue.

For what its worth (if anything) i believe he has every right to police his site as he sees fit - and if it means more people are forced to break cover - then the site will probably be all the better for it.

I'll just go and sit in the corner now, and get my breath back ....

Journeyman

After all I'd heard about user registration being tricky, I'm signed up and posting within 90 mins! Thanks TZ.

Lucky I got in just in time, but I dont blame you Eddie, it's a lot of PC time!

This is one of the best forums + places to get a watch, so i think its great that you continue to keep this forum with "serious" people.

hi everyone have tried to join for yonks and then I'm in,thanks eddie ,I'm a newbe to the world of watch but in the last year I saw a breitling which just plucked my string,I bought it about 6months ago, it's a colt auto II with a pro 2,it was so uninposing and didn't scream look at me (iv nothing against the more bling ones but not my thing yet ?)so far iv got my self extra straps to change the look and enjoying playing with it.sometimes I wait till midnight and watch the date fire round,it's a wonderful thing.I hope to learn more about other brands too. Also hope to pass comment on threads hope being new does not rub anyone up the wrong way.as said I'm learning.so hallo and thanks for Reading

I have been out of the loop for a while, but noticed the sales corner is "off-limits: to me until my post count is up...

so there will be some more answering to many posts.

Shame to see that scamming has infiltrated TZ-UK

gasman

Those pesky russians

Craftsman

i just noticed this thread, i guess i must have got lucky registering.

anyway i've already started posting so not that much of a newb in my own mind.
    its a good site thats opened my eye to watches i never new existed.

Master
    Blog Entries

A certain other UK watch forum has 11,630 members :? :?

Regs

Bry

Quote Originally Posted by Bry1975
    A certain other UK watch forum has 11,630 members :? :?

Regs

Bry
    This forum has had more than 6000 registrations since May 2009 but non-posting users are pruned if they don't post within one month of registration. No point having a high membership count taking up server space if most of them aren't really members.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne
    This forum has had more than 6000 registrations since May 2009...
    Wow... :shock:

What's going on there Eddie?

-flugzeit

Quote Originally Posted by flugzeit

-flugzeit
    I'm sure a lot of them joined to buy stuff off Sales Corner via PM and when they'd done that, didn't take part.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Quote Originally Posted by flugzeit

-flugzeit
    I'm sure a lot of them joined to buy stuff off Sales Corner via PM and when they'd done that, didn't take part.

Eddie
    Ah, OK. Still a huge number...
    -flugzeit

Hi Eddie

I got deleted for not posting, so have re registered. I used to avidly read other peoples posts every night. I now have to contribute to keep on the forum............I think this is a good step but its a bit of pain having to make 25 posts.....! I am quite shy!

Blog Entries

Thanks for letting me in then in this recent attempt!

After trying to register the other day, I thought that was me doomed forever!!!

Greg. :lol:

Thanks for adding me, there seems to be some great stuff on here.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by thusspoke
    Hi Eddie

I got deleted for not posting, so have re registered. I used to avidly read other peoples posts every night. I now have to contribute to keep on the forum............I think this is a good step but its a bit of pain having to make 25 posts.....! I am quite shy!
    Same here...not that I am shy, but it is strange I cant read forums I can read when I am not logged in.

OK, so I "spam" this forum a little to get my 25 posts, lets see if I find some topics I can contribute something useful to.

Hi Eddie, thanks for adding me. Have been delaying posting until I have some decent pics of my collection but don't want to lose my registration so will add photos at a later date.

Regards

Andy

Journeyman

Hi there I have been of the site for some time now. Just seen that there have been a few access rule changes.

I will need to keep in tough more

Am I correct when I assume that I have to place 25 posts here before I can 'advance' to the upper level? I have not searched all that well but where are guidlines?

This would be the first then.

Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by MarkB
    Am I correct when I assume that I have to place 25 posts here before I can 'advance' to the upper level? I have not searched all that well but where are guidlines?
    That´s correct!

Is it Oligarchs wanting to pick up a cheap Audemars off shore or Hublot big bang? :shock:

Hello from another new poster. Long-time lurker, mainly on the BMW forum; registered recently.
    My main interest is British mil watches. One of my favourites:

Cheers
    Ross

Craftsman

Hmm, can't even read the "mods and wreckers" forum now. Have to get some more posts then. I can understand why the buy/sell forum is blockes, but why the "mods and wreckers"???

Quote Originally Posted by ketiljo
    Hmm, can't even read the "mods and wreckers" forum now. Have to get some more posts then. I can understand why the buy/sell forum is blockes, but why the "mods and wreckers"???
    Because some people were posting rubbish everywhere. By restricting it to Watch Talk it makes it easier to spot.

Eddie

Great idea just need another 21 posts and i will be back in the gang.

Check out the Greenlander on Ebay crazy ? or the going rate .

Journeyman

Quote Originally Posted by Kukulcan
    Quote Originally Posted by thusspoke
    Hi Eddie

Same here...not that I am shy, but it is strange I cant read forums I can read when I am not logged in.

OK, so I "spam" this forum a little to get my 25 posts, lets see if I find some topics I can contribute something useful to.
    I'm another long term lurker - mostly because my knowlege of the workings of a watch are pretty skimpy - who asks your indulgence whilst I begin to take a more active part. I promise to spread my qualifying posts over a period of time.

BR

Quote Originally Posted by xdonolix
    Eddie,

Do you have the facility to make the forum invite only? That should help police new arrivals. Just an idea that could help.
    Hows that going to work who will eddie know who to invite unless other members tell him about them and what if someone want to join and doesnt kow anyone here

Ok, deep breath, calm down... "don't be hasty"...

I own and wear SP III 076, and while that's not a LE, I'm still not far after the crowd. Does that make me somehow a special person? No.

What it does do, in my opinion, is legitimize in my interest in the TZ forum.

I have not posted a whole lot. I also often don't say much when in a crowd of people - I LISTEN and reflect.

When I discovered, some time ago, that I was blocked from reading the Sales Corner due to insufficient posts, I accepted that. Buying and selling is where all the Internet ripoffs happen. Setting a high bar for access to that forum protects the posters.

Today I discover that I am prevented from even reading the Time Factors Watches forum. From READING. Never mind me - how can scurrilous individuals from wherever be a problem when they READ a forum? I am happy to accept the need for tightened security, I simply don't understand what is happening.

My first inclination was to post a sequence of 10 posts with one word in each just to "qualify", but that would be such a disrespect to this forum, and to Eddie whom I have to thank for the watch I am happy to wear.

I have no interest in idle chatter - hence my 'insufficient' posts - so I don't expect to post anything in Watch Talk. I am interested in TimeFactors watches because the one I own is superb, and I'd like to know about other TF watches as they develop and become available.

I don't know where to go from here.

I am a member of very, very few forums on the net, and my memberships are mostly because I have technical questions to ask the experts. I have always sensed a friendly welcoming atmosphere in the TZ forums; a place where the better-off don't clobber everybody with their mortgage-sized watch expenses.

I will check back after some time to see if there has been a change, hoping that will be so. Otherwise, I am effectively excluded, and I'm sad about that.

I have no interest in idle chatter - hence my 'insufficient' posts - so I don't expect to post anything in Watch Talk. I am interested in TimeFactors watches because the one I own is superb, and I'd like to know about other TF watches as they develop and become available.

I don't know where to go from here.
    You're caught between a rock and a hard place. The forum is for talk about watches - and other stuff. We've had far too many people on here lately just to use the Sales Corner and to meet Eddie's 50, then 25 post requirement they spammed the whole forum with nonsense.
    You come across as a straightforward guy - starting a thread in Watch Talk about a Precista watch would not be out of place until you've reached the required count.
    Honestly though, not talking in a forum is like sitting a corner in a pub by yourself: a shame.

Quote Originally Posted by Glamdring
    You're caught between a rock and a hard place. a shame.
    I appreciate that you can see my position, Glamdring.

I dunno. The more the net offers, the nastier it seems to get.

Sitting around a table in a pub actually comparing real, physical watches... now there's a thought! :drunken:

I'll have to think of stuff to write that will be of interest to other readers.

I must agree with TickTalk.

I have been registered on Eddie's forum for many years and even re-registered several years ago when his system coughed and erased all knowledge of my past.

I quite enjoyed reading the various topics and when I thought I had a useful contribution to benefit others, I made it. Didn't see the point of making gratuitous posts. There seemed to be enough of those for all to share.

So I would vet the fora, exchange a few PMs, buy the odd watch from Eddie, and appreciate that TZ-UK was a great marketing tool and information exchange. But the system has been changed and, at least for me, registration has become a handicap unless I make a concerted effort to post drivel.

Under the current rules, I suspect that my registration will simply lapse, along with my participation.

Eddie,

Do you have the facility to make the forum invite only? That should help police new arrivals. Just an idea that could help.
    Good idea - And one that's becoming increasingly common...

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by Paul J
    Eddie,

Good idea - And one that's becoming increasingly common...
    All well and good in a small community where everyone knows everyone else but the potential reach of TZ-UK is worldwide.

"I'm sorry, you can't come in because nobody here knows you and can vouch for you."
    "If you let me in then they will."
    "We're not willing to take that risk - bye"

The minimum post rule seems to be a fair compromise. It is effectively a probation period.

Apprentice

Hello!

Very first day, very first post.

Thanks for adding me!
    I will post an introduction shortly with a few nice pictures.

Jens :P

As a registered user, if you can read a forum then you can also send a PM in response to a post. The few instances of members being scammed were as a direct result of receiving a PM from a registered member with a very low post count. Now that 25 posts are required in Watch Talk before access to other forums is possible, it makes it easier to spot suspicious behaviour and will probably deter most scammers.

Does anyone seriously think that the new restrictions have been introduced because I wanted to do it or there is some sort of benefit to me? This forum has been free of scams until recently and I'm sure that's the way we would all like it to be.

Eddie

Thomas Reid

Quote Originally Posted by TickTalk

When I discovered, some time ago, that I was blocked from reading the Sales Corner due to insufficient posts, I accepted that. Buying and selling is where all the Internet ripoffs happen. Setting a high bar for access to that forum protects the posters.

Today I discover that I am prevented from even reading the Time Factors Watches forum. From READING. Never mind me - how can scurrilous individuals from wherever be a problem when they READ a forum? I am happy to accept the need for tightened security, I simply don't understand what is happening.

I will check back after some time to see if there has been a change, hoping that will be so. Otherwise, I am effectively excluded, and I'm sad about that.
    I have a lot of sympathy with this. It turns out that youcan read the Time Factors Watches forum if you don't log in. I went about a week without logging in, and could read most things just fine. I suspect that I'll be doing more of that in the future. Sometimes lurking is good.

Best wishes,
    Bob

Journeyman

I just got my user registration processed, I was a member before but one day my account being removed, I like to check out the Sales corner every now and then, and I was almost tempted to buy my first watch from the forum, and it all stop since my member being remove. Anyway, Thanks Eddie for giving me the membership again.