closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: CANCER..There I said it !

Craftsman

CANCER..There I said it !

September last year had to go for a scan being referred by my local GP. Turns out I had to have an operation on the right side of my face to remove a lump which was on the gland near my top jawbone. It was going to be only a small incision said the surgeon and a couple of hours in surgery. When I woke up I had tubes coming out of my neck, drip in my arm etc and when I did get to look at myself I had a cut from the top of my ear to close on my adams apple.
    The infected area turned out to be bigger than the lump itself and turned out to be about half the size of a cigarette packet.
    A week later the surgeon tells me it was an aggressive cancer, and he had got most of it out but I would require radio therapy. First I had to have all my back teeth removed, another operation and lighter by 10 teeth.
    Two weeks later I had to start a daily course of radio therapy which lasted six weeks, I lost my taste, got large mouth ulcers, bad burns on my face and neck, tiredness and a little nausea. And I can only take concentrated fluid meals that come in six flavors.
    I have to wait at least six months to see if it has worked.
    But thank god for the NHS who carried out this work, for the brilliant nurses who saw me through radio therapy and all the other dedicated NHS workers that helped me through the difficult bits.
    Whatever happens in the future, I have been given a great chance and if anybody on TZ has a similar problem themselves or a relative , if you cannot find anybody who can explain the way it affects you and your daily life, contact me, I will be glad to help

Re: CANCER..There I said it !

thats a terrible thing you have had to go through mate, the NHS
    are great and the nurses are top. im glad you caught it early pal or
    things may have been very different.

kind regards

Alex

Grand Master

Jaysus, a small shock turned into a big one! But glad that things seem to on the up, even though the experience was awful .. my g/f had a cancer scare a few years ago & was advised to go private as it would guarantee an early resolution. We did, the polyps were removed & she was/is fine .. hopefully your recovery will be complete, but the lose of all those teeth may mean a liquid diet, so I recommend plenty of Guinness. Take care.
    /vince ..

Hearing of your experience puts things back into perspective for me - and others too, no doubt.

Good of you to post this and my best wishes for the 'all clear' in six months.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Quote Originally Posted by ralphy
    Hearing of your experience puts things back into perspective for me - and others too, no doubt.

R
    +1

Glad it was caught early, best wishes for a clear result :)

Quote Originally Posted by GraniteQuarry

R
    +1

Glad it was caught early, best wishes for a clear result :)
    Same here :)
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

I sincerely wish you a speedy recovery from this. I lost my brother in law to a brain tumour two years ago, and currently a pal of mine is going through the hoops with a throat cancer, so I have an idea of what you are going through. It's not easy, but you seem brave enough to fight this.
    F.T.F.A.

Craftsman

Many thanks for all your good wishes.

Terrible, terrible news mate :shock: :shock:

But chins up! I really hope everything works out for you!!!
    I'm not as think as you drunk I am.

Grand Master Scottishtrunkmonkey's Avatar

R
    Certainly does Ralphy.

Hope its good news in 6 months and good to hear positive things about our nurses etc :)
    Respect the past, live the present, protect the future

Hope all is well with you.

Just last month my Dad had a mole removed which was cancerous, fortunately it hadn't spread but still a worry.

3 years ago my brother in law also had cancer, started as testicular then spread lymph glans. After some pretty big surgery, radiotherepy etc. he made a full recovery and has been well since. Last year he became a father.

Good luck on your recovery, thanks for putting your story up. More people to talk about these subjects the less scary they become.

Chris

Master

I wish you and your family the very, very best for the future and here's hoping beyond hope that you have beaten this damn disease.

Master

Jesus mate, sounds like you got a big shock.
    It's such an awful thing to go through, i went through it with my grandad, the NHS are fantastic, i just wish i didn't have soo much experience with them :lol:
    My dad receives excellent care and the nurses are great, busy, but great, i really think that the NHS is something we should invest in more as when nothing like this has happened to youyou kind of discount it as a service, but it's far more than that, sometimes i don't think we would have gotten through our current situation without there help, and the amazing surgeons, we have some of the best in the world you know!!
    Hope you don't get any more bad news mate and it's plain sailing for you, take care mate,
    Thnaks,
    Andrew

Master

Quote Originally Posted by GIB984
    I wish you and your family the very, very best for the future and here's hoping beyond hope that you have beaten this damn disease.
    +1

What a terrible ordeal - I hope that you make a complete recovery.

Get well soon!

If you can get hold of the book, read C - Because Cowards Get Cancer, Too by John Diamond (Nigella Lawson's late husband). It's an eye opener. The ending's obvious if you know of the guy but I think it could be a useful read, if only to know you're not the only one who's gone through it.

Master

I think a lot of us have had a scare and got lucky. I read John Diamond's column in the Times and laughed when he wrote about how he's got to the stage where he couldn't eat food and was being fed "sludge down a tube" for nutrition except he didn't take the "sludge" (he might have been a little less polite in his own description), he poured vodka down the feeding tube; good for him!

I had a scare a couple of years ago and it's still being monitored but I have to say that the waiting time between the initial consultation, tests and delivery of the results should be considered to be unacceptable, the worry during this time is excruciating.

I trust and hope that you get the all-clear.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Master

Take care and hope the forthcoming news is good news. Whatever happens, you can always improve on matters-do not forget that for it is also hope.

Eddie, I hope that the news is good, and it's all settled asap.

All the best.

Sincerely,
    AP.

Master

i truely hope the operation has been a success and that everything goes well and according to plan for you from here on in God willing.

Best wishes

Nev.

Quote Originally Posted by Nev
    i truely hope the operation has been a success and that everything goes well and according to plan for you from here on in God willing.

Best wishes

Nev.
    +1

Cheers

Simon
    Cheers

Simon

Ralph Waldo Emerson: We ask for long life, but 'tis deep life, or noble moments that signify. Let the measure of time be spiritual, not mechanical.

Banned

a humbling post that brings things into perspective. Hope things improve soon! :)

Your courage and attitude are an example to us all...

Good on you and good luck. :)

Master

Troubling stuff. All the best with everything.

Speedy recovery. It is the doctors and the nurses who deserve the bonuses not the bankers!

Peter

Master

It is the doctors and the nurses who deserve the bonuses not the bankers!
    Absolutely. Whilst I really hesitate to run the risk of sidetracking this thread, I donate to Macmillan and Marie Curie and endorse both of them for providing essential, practical support that it would be impossible to put any price upon.

Master

Provider,

This is maybe not something you expected from your post, but it has proved quite helpful already. My girlfriend is training as a Radiotherapist, and has been having a few "people issues" with one of the people at her placement. Its been getting to her a bit, but I forwarded her your post by email today, and it really reminded her why she chose this path in the first place. She has an overwhelming desire to do all she can for people, and your commentary on the help that the radiotherapy staff provided has really re-motivated her, knowing that she is (or will be) making a difference. It helps put the petty things into perspective.
    So thanks from both of us and all the best with your health for the future. :)

Master

Quote Originally Posted by bydandie
    a humbling post that brings things into perspective. Hope things improve soon! :)
    well said, Good luck with this and all the best David

karl

Good luck mate. Looks like more than a few people on this board are wishing you well too. All the best.

Craftsman

Thank you to you all, your good wishes have given me a lift, and my dear wife says thanks as well.

Grand Master

Good luck, best wishes.

Paul

Master

Never heard of radiotherapy had to google it. Chemo(short for chemotherapy) seems to be a more common thing I hear around here. Hope things work out I currently have a lot of family members suffering from different types of cancer leukemia, breast cancer, and another from Agent Orange induced problems. I can only say they are fighting it and surviving so fight hard, chin up, and stay positive. May you have a healthy 2009!

I echo all the earlier sentiments - lost my Dad 18 months ago to throat/liver/lung cancer; it's a cliché I know but "live strong" sums it all up really.
    Regards M.

Grand Master

Had a bad scare myself. The waiting game is almost unbearable.
    Looks like the NHS has come up trumps for you, and I would just wish you the very best of wishes and good luck for the future
    I wont be filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed, I am not a number, I am a free man, my life is my own!!!
    Be seeing you
    Toodle pip
    Griff.

Thomas Reid

You have my wishes for the best for you.

Bob

Best Wishes from me too, I'm having a similar "do" with Mrsb, 'cept we have to wait 5 years for the all clear as Radiotherapy is not a recommended option due to the nature of the surgery.
    NHS is all right at the business end though, and the Macmillan people are great.

Very sorry to hear this. They can do wonders now with the treatments available and I wish you a speedy recovery.

Rod

Best wishes for a full recovery.

Cheers

dunk
    "Well they would say that ... wouldn't they!"

Horrible to hear this.

Our very best wishes for a speedy recovery.

All the best. :)
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Banned

Provider, I have just come across this thread.

Just wanted to say my very best wishes to you and hope all works out well.

So many things in life taken for granted. Should spend some time in reflecting the bigger picture.

Good luck.

Roy

So sorry to hear this. But it sounds like you're getting the best treatment possible.

Every good wish for a full recovery.

Take care.
    Best Regards - Peter

I'd hate to be with you when you're on your own.

Master

Good luck for the future.

I had bowel cancer and the anterior resection went badly wrong leading to a long time in ITU.

Initially I had to have an illeostomy, my lungs collapsed, had a lot of blood transfusions, and a series remedial operations.

Whilst recovering I spent a lot of time on the internet, and I suppose that is when my interest in all things "time" started.

Something Strange is that I ran a small audit team in HSBC out of 4 of us, 3 have had different cancers - we are all still doing fine.

Afterwards it does give you a VERY different outlook on life.

Craftsman

Once again I am overwhelmed with the good wishes from you all and I thank Eddy for the forum to speak and the TZ community for the response.