closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: New Spanish Airforce watch?

New Spanish Airforce watch?

San Antonio Watch Company (new Spanish Airforce watch?)
    http://forums.timezone.com/index.php?t= ... 2465&rid=0

john

Look at those lugs ... hmm :? Apart from that ... nice execution.
    "The whole purpose of mechanical watches is to be impertinent." ~ Lionel a Marca, CEO of Breguet

Grand Master
    I am not really sure whether it is an "official" watch, or merely a theme thingy. I find it bland in a way that American and British military watches aren't.
    Cheers,

Martin ("Crusader")

Craftsman
    I like it! Maybe it?s because it reminds me slightly of the mock-up watch I made for Eddies pilot watch discussion recently. :wink:

I think this picture of the San Antonio is more to it's advantage:

Grand Master
    Looks too rolexey for my liking. Nice legible dial though.

Ming

Are they screwed links in the bracelet or pins . . . ?

My eyes aren't what they were :shock:

Martin.

Grand Master
    Of course, a definite opinion would have to wait until one sees the watch on the gray Rhino ... :wink:
    Cheers,

Martin ("Crusader")

Grand Master
    A comment on this watch on MWR referred to it being a "Fortisinn".

Right between the eyes, that one. :wink:
    Cheers,

Martin ("Crusader")

Craftsman
    I quite like it although it looks like an O&W Cougar.

Cheers,

Tim.

Quote Originally Posted by Crusader

They must be looking at it with the other eye. I can see Rolex shoulders case, crown and bracelet. :roll:
    I can't be bothered to look any further. I died.

john
    "The whole purpose of mechanical watches is to be impertinent." ~ Lionel a Marca, CEO of Breguet

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by abraxas

They must be looking at it with the other eye. I can see Rolex shoulders case, crown and bracelet. :roll:
    I can't be bothered to look any further. I died.

john
    The bezel is reminscent of the Sinn 156/Heuer-Sinn Bundeswehr Chronos, and I think they were refrring to dial and hands more than to the case.

It bears a resemblance to the Tutima Pacific, by the way.

But I agree, it is not a watch that captures my fascination.
    Cheers,

Martin ("Crusader")

But I agree, it is not a watch that captures my fascination.
    Wouldn't you rather have this:

Or this:

I'd love to know how the Damasko looks without the bezel ...
    I think running watches without their bezels will be the next big thing. 8)

john

Grand Master
    DN minus bezel ain't bad. What'd be even nicer is a smooth bevelled bezel for DN to turn it into a pilot :D

Ming

Craftsman

Changeable bezels

Quote Originally Posted by Ming Thein
    DN minus bezel ain't bad. What'd be even nicer is a smooth bevelled bezel for DN to turn it into a pilot :D

Ming
    Hmmmmmm changeable bezels, just like the fashion watches sold on HSN (Home Shopping Network), QVC and sometimes on shopNBC.

You could take off the diamond bezel if you were going to the poor part of town so it wouldn't get ripped off.

Sorry Ming, just had to say it...

Grand Master
    Okay, okay. A gross error on my part.

But then again, the difference between a number of Rolexes is the bezel and dial...ditto Seamasters...

Ming

abraxas, the first pic; what is it?

Quote Originally Posted by WatchScout
    abraxas, the first pic; what is it?
    A Tag Aquagraph on rubber.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v219/ ... rubber.jpg

john

I dont usually care much for Tags, but that one is niiice!

.............is it yours?

Nah! I did consider getting it at one point (as the ultimate tool chrono) until I read a review which said that the push-buttons are so sensitive they turn on and off when you put your hands in pockets. These days I think that it looks too much like a Tag to be worth having.

I am waiting for Sinn SZ01 with central minute totalizer ... as the new Breguet XX at £6.5 is taking the piss.

john

Sinn makes nice stuff; I like the old EZM2. of the newer stuff the U2 is very nice and I would have liked the U1 also, if it wasnt for the stupid looking hands - they look like rejects from a Tissot factor (you know, your favourite factory).

You seem to have good taste in watches (apart from your plongeur-fobia:D) , but why you sold your Japy, I cant fathom...........?!

About the U2 Sinn says, among other nice things; "made from U-boat steel." Hmmm, I hope that it is not from one of the wartime Type VII, because that would correspond badly with another statement they make about the watch i.e. it is ( translated) "unloseable." :D

You seem to have good taste in watches (apart from your plongeur-fobia:D) , but why you sold your Japy, I cant fathom...........?!
    I don't really have taste or opinions ... merely say this or that, to pass the time. Generally I play devil's advocate just to keep things alive, as I actually like over 90% of all good watches ever made.

Reasons I sold the Japy:

1. It was taking up too much wrist-time ... time that these days is reserved for the Damasko.

2. I am funny about second-hand watches unless they are vintage and out of production or very expensive.

3. It had hairline scratches on the bracelet and a larger scratch on the buckle.

4. Although strong once set ... I found the winder assembly a bit fiddly for a balls-out tool-watch, which it was.

When everything is set and done the Japy Aquatique beats the Marathon SAR hands down in execution, style and quality. I made the decision to sell that one and if I really miss it, I will get a brand new one, as they are not prohibitively expensive.

I had a couple of compliments about the watch too. Definitively, the best bracelet I ever had or ever will have. I really hope that Mr Damasko (one of these days) comes up with a really fuck-off bracelet and surprise everybody. :D

john

I am warming up to the Damasko too. All though not cutting edge design-wise (standard chrono layout), I really like the hardness of the case as I seem to scratch my watches a lot.

About the Japy; though not all that expensive most shops want 1500 to 1900 EUR for a chrono module! That would sort of defeat the purpose of buying a "cheapish" watch if you shelled out that kinda dough for just a movement.

Luckily the Japy Aquatique is a great watch without the other chrono module.

I am warming up to the Damasko all-luminova dial, but what do you guys think of the dial; is it just tacky or what?

Grand Master
    I am waiting for Sinn SZ01 with central minute totalizer ... as the new Breguet XX at £6.5 is taking the piss.
    How so, if I may ask?
    Cheers,

Martin ("Crusader")

Grand Master
    Sinn makes nice stuff; I like the old EZM2. of the newer stuff the U2 is very nice and I would have liked the U1 also, if it wasnt for the stupid looking hands - they look like rejects from a Tissot factor (you know, your favourite factory).

About the U2 Sinn says, among other nice things; "made from U-boat steel." Hmmm, I hope that it is not from one of the wartime Type VII, because that would correspond badly with another statement they make about the watch i.e. it is ( translated) "unloseable." :D
    Don't worry, it is current-production U-Boat steel (German class 212 with fuel-cell technology). :wink:

I disliked the U1 from the internet pictures, but was very taken with the design - even the strange-looking hands - when I held one in my hands. It is much nicer in real life than in the pictures, just the opposite of the U2. :shock: :wink:
    Cheers,

Martin ("Crusader")

How so, if I may ask?
    With the price.

john

Yes, I read about the new U-boat steel...I was just trying to be funny ...and failed miserably......... :cry:

Yes, I read about the new U-boat steel...I was just trying to be funny ...and failed miserably......... :cry:
    Hope it's better than the old U-Boat steel........................

Part of U532 being exhibited at Birkenhrad. Not bad I suppose after spending all those years under the ocean. :) great pitty that the owner will not allow any preservation or restoration :( It will now just sit there until it rots away - another part of the world's history lost forever except in photographs. :( :(
    Best Regards - Peter

I'd hate to be with you when you're on your own.

There is also an old german U-boat salvaged from danish waters now resting in the UK - its the U534.

I visited it shortly before it went of to the UK. There is quite a visible "dent" in the side where a blast caught her before she went down.

There is also an old german U-boat salvaged from danish waters now resting in the UK - its the U534.

I visited it shortly before it went of to the UK. There is quite a visible "dent" in the side where a blast caught her before she went down.
    I think we're talking about the same U-Boat.......

I had it listed as 532 but I guess I could be wrong and it's 534 :?:
    Best Regards - Peter

I had a hunch we were talking about the same boat :P

It is the U-534 for sure.

Journeyman
    Greetings,

I noticed the red symbol at 6 o'clock and immediately thought it would be the "circle 3H"...but it appears to be...

S
    LN

The website states SuperLuminova hands and markers so it must not be tritium. What does this stand for...?

Quote Originally Posted by Anomaly
    Greetings,

I noticed the red symbol at 6 o'clock and immediately thought it would be the "circle 3H"...but it appears to be...

S
    LN

The website states SuperLuminova hands and markers so it must not be tritium. What does this stand for...?
    Another one born every minute.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Journeyman
    Eddie,

Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne

Eddie
    Hey now...be nice!

Does it stand for SuperLumiNova...? Has this symbol been used on other watches?

I had a hunch we were talking about the same boat :P

It is the U-534 for sure.
    Thanks WatchScout. I'll update my records :)
    Best Regards - Peter

Eddie,

Eddie
    Hey now...be nice!

According to this doc http://www.sawcwatch.com/es/servicio/20104es.pdf
    the SLN is in the Super-LumiNova column ... so you must be right. I haven't seen the symbol in use before.

john

Master

Nah! I did consider getting it at one point? These days I think that it looks too much like a Tag to be worth having?

john
    I don't get it. Isn't that like saying, "I used to like the Rolex Submariner, but now it looks too much like a Rolex to be worth having." ?

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike K

Nah! I did consider getting it at one point? These days I think that it looks too much like a Tag to be worth having?

john
    I don't get it. Isn't that like saying, "I used to like the Rolex Submariner, but now it looks too much like a Rolex to be worth having." ?
    Makes perfect sense to me. I appreciate watches that are not to everyone's taste. If everybody likes what I like, my being a WIS is cast into doubt ... I'd be just a camp-follower of fashion/fads. :)
    Cheers,

Martin ("Crusader")

Master

john
    Makes perfect sense to me. I appreciate watches that are not to everyone's taste. If everybody likes what I like, my being a WIS is cast into doubt ... I'd be just a camp-follower of fashion/fads. :)
    So he's the guy who likes to set the trends/break new ground, but once everyone is following hates the crowding. :D

Master
    Eddie,

Eddie
    Hey now...be nice!

According to this doc http://www.sawcwatch.com/es/servicio/20104es.pdf
    the SLN is in the Super-LumiNova column ... so you must be right. I haven't seen the symbol in use before.

john
    The SLN logo is a trademark of the San Antonio Watch Co, it says at the bottom of that document.

TTFN

Grand Master
    So he's the guy who likes to set the trends/break new ground, but once everyone is following hates the crowding. :D
    :D :D :D

I'd hate to think that I am responsible for others' tastes, but if I was, yes, that would be the outcome ... :wink:
    Cheers,

Martin ("Crusader")

:D :D :D

I'd hate to think that I am responsible for others' tastes, but if I was, yes, that would be the outcome ... :wink:
    Well said!

john