closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: IPOD frozen - help!

Master

IPOD frozen - help!

Hi

Tried to charge my Ipod today - haven't used it or charged it for a few weeks - and when I plugged it in to the plug socket the 'charging' icon didn't appear.

Tried plugging it in to my laptop and update the software and after a few minutes it came up with a icon that showed it needed to be plugged into a power socket for the update to finish. Plugging it back into the wall does nothing.

I've tried re-setting it etc. but no joy. At the most I get a battery icon that is static and doesn't change no matter how long I leave it plugged in. Even tried charging it via a dock we have with a mini hi-fi but no luck.

Does this mean that the battery has had it? I've had this Ipod since 2004 so I wouldn't be surprised if it is the battery.

Any ideas?

Cheers

Re: IPOD frozen - help!

Hi,
    Try the advice here:
    http://www.methodshop.com/gadgets/ip...rt/index.shtml

If it won't reset then it sounds like it could be the battery.

If so you can get a replacement battery for it on the net for @ £10.
    http://www.mdsbattery.co.uk

Master

You could try just leaving plugged into the mains overnight, my daughters nano did the same thing but eventually it unfroze

cheers
    Alan

Journeyman

Hey...How are you?
    Sounds to me like its died. My 80 gig died in a similar way.

I managed for a while to extend its life by using Mac software to re-partion...but evetually it threw a wobbly.

The good news is that it then forces the issue...especially to go and get an iPod Touch.
    (or ask for one for Xmas in my case)

What an amazing machine. Not just the music (which sounds better by the way)
    Movies/TV shows/ Using as a remote for my airport express linked systems/ getting emails...and surfing the web with ease.

Look at it as an opportunity. :)

Quote Originally Posted by SteveW
    Using as a remote for my airport express linked systems...
    I find this use of my iPhone indispensable. I have Airtunes in three rooms, and it's great to be able to browse and play my music anywhere. This is the kind of thing Apple gets so right.

Master

Well quick update - I've left it plugged in for a few days just in case it came back to life - but no joy. Still got the symbol telling me to plug it in to mains power and when you press the centre button you can hear the disc whirring.

So, am going to try a new battery...and try not to break it in the process.

Cheers

Have you tried this (from Apple Tech Support).

Symptoms

iPod may not power on, may be stuck on the battery logo, or may have stopped responding while playing music (in which case the Click Wheel doesn't respond).
    Products Affected

iPod nano (2nd generation), iPod nano, iPod nano (3rd generation), iPod classic, iPod (5th generation Late 2006), iPod (5th generation)
    Resolution

If you experience any of the above issues, try the following steps:

1. Toggle the Hold switch. To do this, slide the switch to Hold (an orange bar appears) and then slide it back (orange bar is hidden).

2. Reset the iPod by holding down the Menu and Center buttons for 10 seconds.

* If the Apple logo appears on the display, connect the iPod to a computer and verify that it appears in iTunes and can play music. If the iPod appears in iTunes and can play music, no further troubleshooting is needed.

* If the Apple logo does not appear or the iPod is not seen in iTunes, connect the iPod to a power source by either plugging it into an Apple iPod USB Power Adapter or directly into a computer's USB port.

3. Let the iPod charge for at least 20 minutes. Note: If the iPod is connected to a computer, make sure the computer is not set to sleep, standby, or hibernate.

4. After the iPod has charged for at least 20 minutes and while it is still connected to the power source, toggle the Hold switch again as in step 1.

5. Try resetting the iPod by holding down the Menu and Center buttons for 10 seconds.

* If the Apple logo appears on the display, connect the iPod to a computer and verify that it appears in iTunes and can play music. If the iPod appears in iTunes and can play music, no further troubleshooting is needed.

* If the Apple logo does not appear or the iPod is not seen in iTunes, the iPod should be serviced.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Master

Hi

Yep, done all that. In fact its been connected to the mains for about 2 days now.

When you re-set it the Apple logo appears then it just goes back to the 'plug into mains' symbol. Also it won't appear in ITunes as a connected device.

I thought I'd try the battery option as getting it serviced seems like it could be expensive for an Ipod that's over 4 years old - as in may be more cost effective to get a new one.

Anything else worth trying?

Cheers

Master

Update - bought a new battery and it still does the same thing!! Seems like it will cost about £60 to get it serviced/fixed which just isn't worth it.

Going to leave it on charge for a while just in case...but doesn't look promising.

Looks like I'll be putting the new battery up on Sales Corner soon and the Ipod in the bin!

Cheers

You've had it nearly five years!

How old's your mobile phone? Or your PC?

Bin it and buy a new 'un - you know it makes sense. :)

I think my mobile is now 8 years old, it's a Nokia 6310 and these still make good money. Somebody told me that a corporate customer wanted to buy 200 of them recently so his staff had mobiles which could only make/receive calls and texts instead of them wasting half the day downloading stuff, watching videos and taking pictures.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne
    I think my mobile is now 8 years old, it's a Nokia 6310 and these still make good money. Somebody told me that a corporate customer wanted to buy 200 of them recently so his staff had mobiles which could only make/receive calls and texts instead of them wasting half the day downloading stuff, watching videos and taking pictures.

Eddie
    Best phone I ever had Eddie - there is a web site that still supplies refurb ones

http://www.6310i.co.uk/store/
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........