closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Jollyboys At large. U-534 – A Photographic Tour

The Jollyboys At large. U-534 – A Photographic Tour

Friday, 13th February 2009. Our adventure today starts out on the Pier Head, outside Liverpool's famous Liver Building, home of the Royal Liver Insurance Company.

Also home to Liverpool's famous mythical Liver Birds. It is said that if the Liver Birds were ever to fly away then Liverpool would cease to exist. If you look carefully, they have been tied down by clever Scousers who intend for this never to happen.

But today we're off over to the other side of the River Mersey, to Woodside on the Wirral, where a German submarine with quite a significant air of mystery about it now resides.

But while we wait for the passengers coming from the Wirral to disembark, lets step back in time and look at the history of this intriguing craft and to a previous visit the Jollyboys made to U-534; not long after she'd been recovered from the North Sea.

U-534 was a type IXC-40 WW2 Unterseeboot , or U-boat. She was commissioned into the German Navy in December 1942. Most of her wartime days were spent as a training boat in the Baltic Sea where she never fired a torpedo in anger.

In May of 1944 she was sent on weather-reporting duties to the south of Greenland and, as accurate weather forecasting was highly important, her captain was ordered not to engage with the enemy. On completion of her first weather patrol she was fitted with the new “schnorkel” equipment enabling her to run her diesel engines whilst submerged and sent out on further weather-reporting duty.

On leaving port U-534 was attacked by a Wellington bomber of 172 Squadron which she managed to shoot down using her deck guns. Much to the disappointment of her commander, Herbert Nollau, this was to be the only kill U-534 recorded during the entire war.

On the 3rd of May 1945, with the Allied Forces only days away from victory, she left Keil on her final, special, mission. She was the last U-boat to leave Germany, and headed north to join 3 Type XXI U-boats. The purpose of her mission at this late stage of the war is unknown, however a number of 'rumours' surround her departure. It is said that a shipment of Nazi gold and an unknown man were taken on board. It is also rumoured that, just before her departure, captain Herbert Nollau received a small mysterious package.

Two days after she sailed, on the 5th of May 1945, the order was given by the German High Command that all U-boats were to surrender and to fly a black flag to indicate this. However, Nollau, for reasons unknown, decided that he and the rest of his 51 crew would not surrender but would continue with their mission. The 3 Type XXIs also continued on their way.

On the same day, 3 Liberator Bombers from 86 Squadron were on patrol from Tain, Scotland when they caught the errant U-boats on the surface. Liberator 'G' for George targeted the surfaced U-534 with depth charges. On its second low level attack one of the depth charges from the Liberator landed directly on the deck of U-534 then, slowly, rolled over the side exploding directly underneath her; rupturing the U-boat’s hull and allowing seawater to pour in.

Captain Nollau, having no option, gave orders to abandon ship. Forty-nine out of the 52 crew survived and were later picked up and taken as Prisoners Of War. Nollau was amongst the survivors but, for reasons unknown later committed suicide.

U-534 sank to the bottom where she remained until, in August 1993, the wealthy Danish publisher Karsten Ree, (believing that she would indeed contain much gold), funded the salvage operation that was to raise her from the sea bed.

But no gold was found, and in May 1996, U-534 was donated to a Museum in Birkenhead where she remained as a rusting wreck.

The Jollyboys were fortunate enough to be able to visit her in October 2002. And, whist she was in a very bad and rusted state, we were allowed both on and inside the U-boat.

Her top hull, fore and aft, was seriously corroded, the original timber decking long since gone

Her anti-aircraft gun rusty, bent and deformed

Her conning tower seriously rusted

All in all, a very sorry state, though the damage done to her by the depth charge was clearly visible

Sadly, the museum where she was located ran out of funds and the fate of U-534, one of only 4 U-boats anywhere in the world, was uncertain. But in June 2007 Merseytravel agreed to construct a new museum adjacent to their Woodside Ferry Terminal where, following restoration work, she would be permanently housed.

And that was where we were now headed on board the famous Mersey Ferry, The Royal Iris.

Saying farewell to Liverpool.

And hello to Woodside.

The museum entrance shows a picture of U-534 being lifted from the North Sea. But it was the caption underneath it that made me smile. Love the guy or hate him, you have to admire his way with words.

We were, of course, wondering how she would look after her restoration. Well, what a transformation, the rust was gone....

The damage caused by the depth charge was still clearly visible....

And her anti aircraft gun had been refurbished and straightened....

All in all, from stem to stern, she looked very tidy indeed. What a great restoration....

But it was a restoration with a difference, a very big difference. For, to aid transportation; and to allow visitors to see inside her safely, she was cut into sections....

The ends of which are sealed with glass to allow easy viewing and to protect the inside of this magnificent beast from the ravages of the weather...

Information panels have been strategically placed providing masses of detail about the operation of the ship and life on board her....

And how cramped that life must have been....

Just imagine having to clamber through a hatch like this in a hurry....

Or even a doorway like this....

The museum itself contains a whole lot of information about U-534, with lots of details about ther sinking....

And many military and personal artefacts recovered when she was raised, such as a Contax IIa camera with instruction manual and boxes if film....

Navigational equipment....

Meteorological equipment and tables....

Binoculars....

The ships gimbal mounted chronometer....

And a pocket watch, (to retain at least some horological connection)....

With the inscription still clearly visible on the case....

There's even the original Bombing Record from 'G' for George showing a photograph of U-534 just prior to her sinking, (clearly not flying the required black flag), along with the date, time and location.

All in all, a truly great visit, with much to see, learn and enjoy. If you're ever in the area then I can thoroughly recommend a visit to this excellent museum. My pictures have hardly scratched the surface really.

And, as with all good visits, this one all to soon came to an end and the Jollyboys joined the queue for the ferry that was coming to take us back to Liverpool.

One last look over the shoulder at U-534 as the sun, (well, what little there was of it), began to drop.

Then the Jollyboys took in some bracing river air

Before partaking of a little, (all right, a lot), of liquid refreshment at some of Liverpools finest hostelries

and a rather excellent Tapas

A really good time was had by all.

But finally, a few thoughts....

Why didn't U-534 surrender at the end of the war as instructed? Probably, no one will ever know for sure. But with a capability of 16,000 nautical miles she may well have been heading for South America. And it is known that many Nazis escaped there after the war. If she were carrying gold, a high ranking Nazi or some 'special' artefact then that would add substance to that possibility.

What was her special mission? This is also unknown, but it most certainly had to be a special mission as she was carrying not one, but two enigma coding machines, (the norm was one enigma machine per submarine), this is one of them....

And six of Germany's very latest sound sensing/homing torpedoes.

Why was she carrying six of the very latest torpedoes along with her complement of normal torpedoes? Again, it is unlikely that the reason for this will ever be known. But again, if she were carrying such cargoes, then she would likely need to protect herself on that long and hazardous journey. Or if she were simply heading to South America then perhaps to ensure that this recently developed technology remained in Nazi hands.

And, not least of all, what was the mysterious cargo it was carrying and where is it? Rumour has it that it could have some occult connection, possibly the tip from the Spear Of Destiny, (Hitler certainly 'believed' in the power of that sort of thing). Well, it would be small enough to conceal...........

And there are still parts of U-534 still unopened.........................

So who knows.................................. :)

I do hope that you've found this photo essay interesting. And if you do go to Liverpool then please take an hour or so to visit it. I think you'll find it well worthwhile, I know we did.

Oh, and here's a link to an interesting video about U-534, including an interview with Neville Baker, the bombardier on 'G' for George who released the depth charge that sank her.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/videos-p ... -22895157/
    Last edited by Griswold; 11th May 2020 at 14:15. Reason: Replaced PhotBucket Photographs
    Best Regards - Peter

I'd hate to be with you when you're on your own.

Re: The Jollyboys At large. U-534 – A Photographic Tour

Excellent tour Peter, I felt right in character having read this during a break from swabbing and buffing the office floor.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Yeah, an excellent read. Thanks...

Thoroughly enjoyed reading that :)

Tiptop read. Many, many thanks for that.

Master

Excellent post. Thank you. 8)

An excellent journey in words and pictures there, well done!

Whilst Im delighted to see her restored it does seem a shame to me to have her cut up into sections, presumably it was deemed the passageways wee too small to allow public access.

t is said that if the Liver Birds were ever to fly away then Liverpool would cease to exist.
    As a lad growing up near Liverpool I was aware of another saying regarding the birds wings, I imagine you would be too. :wink:

The next time I'm up there I certainly will go and visit U-534, have you ever been to see HMS Alliance in Gosport?

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Master

That was great, i really enjoyed that and the photos are just superb.
    All the best
    Steve

Master

Superb.I live in Birkenhead and have never visited the U-boat.Shame on me.Great pictures.

Many thanks for all the kind words guys. :)

Quote Originally Posted by ralphy
    An excellent journey in words and pictures there, well done!

Whilst Im delighted to see her restored it does seem a shame to me to have her cut up into sections, presumably it was deemed the passageways wee too small to allow public access.
    Indeed. When we first saw her in Birkenhead we were allowed to go completely inside her, though we were expressly forbiden to take any pictures inside - not that there was any room to take pictures really.

I would guess that, with todays PC and sueing cultures, it would be deemed a real health and safety hazard. :(

In a way it's a shame that it has been cut into sections, but by doing so it has been better preserved and provides greater accessibility to a wider audiance.

t is said that if the Liver Birds were ever to fly away then Liverpool would cease to exist.
    As a lad growing up near Liverpool I was aware of another saying regarding the birds wings, I imagine you would be too. :wink:
    No, but then we're not from Liverpool originally. Do tell.

The next time I'm up there I certainly will go and visit U-534, have you ever been to see HMS Alliance in Gosport?

R
    I have indeed Ralph. The Jollyboys did a trip there a couple of years ago. Absolutely superb.

I did a photo esay on it at the time. Though I posted it in the Digial Photography section which wasn't well frequented at that time so didn't get many viewings.

You can find it here viewtopic.php?f=7&t=32836 It was part of a series I did on our UK Battlefields Trip.
    Best Regards - Peter

Master

Terrific post, thanks for that.

Must have been a hell of a life in that tin-can enemy or not.

Master

Excellent read and great pictures.

I find it strange that the salvager's brought her to the surface because they believed that gold may be on the ship but then donate her after not opening all her compartments??

I take you wore a G shock whilst in Liverpool :roll: :lol: I couldn't resist :twisted:

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by Ian99
    Excellent read and great pictures.

I find it strange that the salvager's brought her to the surface because they believed that gold may be on the ship but then donate her after not opening all her compartments??

I take you wore a G shock whilst in Liverpool :roll: :lol: I couldn't resist :twisted:

Ian

There was reall only one watch I could wear when visiting a submarine, particularly a German one......

Best Regards - Peter

Master

Fantastic post - really interesting and sounds like a great day - although I have to ask what on earth the new building is in front of the Cunard Building - isn't the Pier Head a UNESCO World Heritage Site? :shock: I get back to Anfield every now and again but haven't been near the Mersey for years.

I've often wanted to visit this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wilhelm_Bauer_(U-boat) - a later Type XXI boat

Very interesting.

Have to say the thought of being in a submarine, in a combat situation would fill me with dread.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Quote Originally Posted by Griswold

No, but then we're not from Liverpool originally. Do tell.
    That if a young lady who remained a virgin walked past the building the wings would flap. (An observation on the chastity of Scouse girls).

Quote Originally Posted by Griswold

R
    I have indeed Ralph. The Jollyboys did a trip there a couple of years ago. Absolutely superb.

I did a photo esay on it at the time. Though I posted it in the Digial Photography section which wasn't well frequented at that time so didn't get many viewings.

You can find it here viewtopic.php?f=7&t=32836 It was part of a series I did on our UK Battlefields Trip.
    Well that's brought back memories for me!
    I spent some time in here before she was de-commissioned in the early 70's - and I visited her again shortly after she opened to the public in the early 80's. Since then I haven't seen her, but looking at your pictures that museum has certainly grown since I last visited. BTW, did you know she's in serious dis-repair now due to nesting pigeons? :(

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Cool photo essay :) Thanks for that. On a related theme I assume we've all seen Das Boot? Worth a watch...

Excellent Peter - love the phot essay's :)
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Master

interesting post Peter 8) had a few in the pig and whistle myself :drunken:

karl

Quote Originally Posted by Seabadger
    Fantastic post - really interesting and sounds like a great day - although I have to ask what on earth the new building is in front of the Cunard Building - isn't the Pier Head a UNESCO World Heritage Site? :shock: I get back to Anfield every now and again but haven't been near the Mersey for years.

I've often wanted to visit this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wilhelm_Bauer_(U-boat) - a later Type XXI boat
    I believe it's going to be the new ferry terminal when it's completed. They're currently operating from a very rudamentary and temporary one.

I agree, the new one is a monstrosity. :twisted: And the new museum they're building a bit further along towards the Albert Dock is just as bad. :twisted: :twisted:
    Best Regards - Peter

Great post. I feel claustrophobic just looking at the pictures. Thanks.

Really interesting. Thanks Peter. :) :)

Regards

David

Excellent post. Thanks. :D

Craftsman

Thanks for posting! Intresting read.

I like the Churchill quote... :twisted:

/joakim

Superb post, many thanks for the time spent sharing this. :D

I find particularly fascinating your closing paragraphs about the secret/unknown nature of the mission :wink:

Grand Master
    Blog Entries

very interesting post 8)

thanks for sharing peter.

cheers
    mike :wink:

Great pics.

As a dane, I am miffed that U-534 could not stay where she belonged in Denmark. I guess there was a lack of interest.

I think it is a crying shame to cut her up.

I saw her on the dock a little while before U-534 embarked for the UK.

Lovely post - thanks for taking the time to put it together!

Wonderful post, again! Thank you so much Peter for this very informative and impressive essay!

Btw, here's an interview with William Brinkmann, first officer on the U-534.

"I don't think any U-boat would have taken a Nazi aboard at that time," says William Brinkmann, 82,who was first officer on board the U-534, which was raised from the bottom of the sea near Sweden by a Dutch salvage company this week. "The Nazis were never that popular among people in the navy."
    Salvagers announced yesterday that they had found 100 bottles of wine and 144 condoms on the boat. Brinkmann thinks he knows the reason why. "Alcohol was never allowed on a U-Boat, and we had hardly heard of condoms in my time - there was also some schnapps - I think that the crew had figured out that they were going to surrender in Oslo and wanted to have one last good time! I'm thinking of asking the salvage for some of that wine!"
    :shock: :lol:

Full story:

http://web.ukonline.co.uk/gaz/surv.html
    I'm not as think as you drunk I am.

I thoroughly enjoyed that Peter, good work. :)

Saw a programme on the final days of the U-534 on cable recently.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Master

Excellent post Peter - would you mind if I sent the post(or a link) to someone over the other side of the world who has an interest in subs ?

Regards

Brian

That's a great post, thanks.

I think the sectioning was a superb idea, it gives great access and saves lots of money.
    Or maybe the cut out parts were simply bits "liberated" by the local scallys - someone had to make a reference :roll:

This essay should have a web page all of it's own so that the world can find and enjoy it.

Gren.

Master

Whoa - what's the chance of this happening http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7892294.stm

Nice too see a genuine engraving on that torpedo timer, good reference that. And... you all had a great time too!
    next time Im in Conwy, will nip over to see her hopefully.
    if your ever down south, do go and see HMS Alliance at Gosport, well worth a visit as is the museum.

Quote Originally Posted by sestrel
    Nice too see a genuine engraving on that torpedo timer, good reference that. And... you all had a great time too!
    next time Im in Conwy, will nip over to see her hopefully.
    if your ever down south, do go and see HMS Alliance at Gosport, well worth a visit as is the museum.
    He's already been: http://www.tz-uk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=32836 :wink:

R

Master

Good review. It's great you got to do a before and after. Nice to actually see a real U-boat. Thanks.

Master

Excellent post and a thoroughly enjoyable tour.
    Many thanks and best wishes,
    AP:)

Master

Thanks Peter - another cracker. You should work for the Tourist Board!!

Cheers,

Guy :)

Thomas Reid

Great post, Peter. Informative and witty, with accompanying pictures. Thanks very much!

Best wishes,
    Bob

Craftsman
    Blog Entries

Great post thanks for sharing the experience, I took the family to Bletchley Park yesterday and saw the other side of the Enigma machine story, also well worth a visit

Thanks again guys for your kind words.

Quote Originally Posted by Spike
    Great post thanks for sharing the experience, I took the family to Bletchley Park yesterday and saw the other side of the Enigma machine story, also well worth a visit

It's on the list of places we want to visit Spike. We're planning to go to Jersey later this year for our annual Jollyboys Battlefield Outing, but Bletchley Park is high on the list for next year.

Ironicaly, one of my cousins lived in Bletchley for many years and we visited him regularly, but never got to Bletchley Park for some reason or other. I believe the original Lion computer is located there also.
    Best Regards - Peter

Thread resurrected following comments in Watch Talk re 'subs'.
    Best Regards - Peter

Definitely worth reading again Peter, and something for the recently joined members to enjoy too.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Griswold View Post
    Thread resurrected following comments in Watch Talk re 'subs'.
    Thanks for that and the OP it was really interesting and now I want to make a visit myself, again thanks

Great thread Peter, I was unaware of this sub being open to the public so close to home. Its on the post lockdown 'to do' list

Thanks, Peter.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

I must have missed this when it was first posted, that's a brilliant thread, thank you!
    Dave E

Skating away on the thin ice of a new day

Great story from before my time here, thanks for posting.

Craftsman
    I too innocently clicked on the thread thinking it was new today. Glad for the bump though, some great photos.

I had the fortune to visit Mobile, Alabama, and took a tour of the USS Drum, a US Navy WW2 submarine. Cramped is an understatement, and that was while I was on it with 7 or 8 other tourists. Hard to comprehend what it would be like with 80 other full grown men.
    Last edited by CaptainRockNRoll; 12th May 2020 at 07:33.

Blog Entries
    Great thread.

Kiel in northern Germany was home of the U-boat fleet. Just NE of Kiel is the town of Laboe (pronounced like it's Scandinavian: 'Labψ'). There's a Kriegsmarine monument and a fully intact U-boat you can visit.

I was there in the summer of 2018, during the Youth World Championship Laser Sailing. Kiel (Schilksee) is also the place where the 1936(...) and the 1972 sailing regattas for the Olympics were held. My son was there competing and I took a small ferry to Laboe. I was very lucky to have someone with me who knows a thing or two about submarines. One of the other parents used to be a submarine commander in the Dutch Royal Navy. Nowadays, he holds a desk-job with even more gold on his sleeves. He was a young officer on board of the Dutch submarine that 'sank' a US Carrier during a training back in 1990. https://defence.pk/pdf/threads/dutch...d-more.142292/

His professional eye was a welcome addition to the visit of the German U boat, I can tell you. His stories about living and later commanding a submarine are great stuff to listen to. We were on a RIB a few days as support crew during the regatta days and I asked him how he boosted moral when things were 'low'. His answer: "Hunting. We started a hunt. No matter what. Let's say we sank the Hook - Harwich ferry a few times! There are two two types of ships: subs and targets!"