closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hydrofloss Water Jet for Dental Flossing - User Report

Hydrofloss Water Jet for Dental Flossing - User Report

The following report about the Waterpik has been superceded by that for the Kitty Hydrofloss described later in this thread ... I abandoned the Waterpik mainly because its water reservoir capacity was too small and it was too awkward in use.

Just bought a Waterpik Dental Flosser http://www.waterpik.co.uk/oral-health-p ... et/WP-360/ ... main reason for getting it is because I have two upper dental bridges and the gap above the bridge is inaccessible unless using super-floss ... and gum hygiene is very necessary to prevent further gum recession and infection. Having used it for a couple of days I am impressed by its use and can say that my gums feel much cleaner and was surprised by all the residual food matter the device flushed out. But I'm not so impressed by the fact that it requires refilling three times to do a thorough clean of all the spaces between teeth ... and it can make quite a mess ie sprays water everywhere if not kept directed into the mouth. The massage effect on the gums will probably be very beneficial as it leaves a pleasant tingling sensation as if the blood is circulating well.

Has anyone else tried it? The product has had mixed reviews.

Cheers

dunk
    "Well they would say that ... wouldn't they!"

Master

Re: Waterpik Cordless Dental Water Jet for Dental Flossing

I haven't tried one but it sounds interesting - my dentist always moans to me about plaque build-up on my bottom front teeth and I should floss more.

If you're worried about spray from it can you use it in the shower?

How much are these and where are they available?

A quick google and you can find them for as little as 15 quid

Wish I had known about the £15 offers ... Bought mine from Boots £29.99 and Argos have them for the same price. It is a very good "flosser" but unlikely it would be much good for plaque ... only useful for directing a high pressure pulse/jet of water between teeth and into the "invisible gap" above or below bridgework. Well worth buying if you don't mind the messy learning curve and can put up with having to refill the jet several times to complete one thorough flossing. And the after-sensation (tingling) in gums after use is very pleasant ... as if the gums have had a thorough massage.

Cheers

dunk

EDIT ... Apologies, of course it would remove plaque between teeth as well.

dunk

Master

I have one for a year, used it for a week. :lol:

Strange you should mention this, I was looking at them just this morning. Apparently the "Kitty" one is good.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne
    Strange you should mention this, I was looking at them just this morning. Apparently the "Kitty" one is good.

Eddie
    The Kitty model looks to be much better than the Waterpik .. wish I'd bought it instead. The reason I need to look after my gums is that the bridgework and replacement crowns cost me more than three used Rolex sports watches and I do not want to have to pay out that sort of £££ again for private dental treatment ... so I'm thinking "prevention is better than cure" . I used to blame poor NHS dental treatment for the fact that over a period of several years I was forever going back to my NHS dentist up to 20 times a year because of abscesses and toothache and need to have crowns replaced. But I now realize it was not just the poor materials that NHS dentists use ... it was also my then undiagnosed thyroid problem ie compromised immune system could not fight off invasive oral bacteria which caused tooth decay via poor quality NHS porous crowns/fillings. And smoking years ago didn't help matters either.

And I never forget what my sister in Illinois often says when I suggest she finds herself a new man (she's divorced and 64 years young) ... she 'hollars' down the phone to me in her mid-Atantic accent , "I don't wanna man who drops his teeth in a JAR every night!!"

Cheers

dunk

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce
    A quick google and you can find them for as little as 15 quid
    I think the £15 models are manual ie not battery powered.

Having used the "Waterpik" a couple more times have now changed my mind about it being a good buy ...
    It's an ergonomic disaster and far too messy in use ... Not suitable for use when wearing clothes ie shirt sleeves as they get SOAKED ... and refilling it several times for one session's use is laborious. I am taking it back for a refund as it is very awkward to use. Will probably check out the Kitty model further as that appears to have a much larger reservoir and a flexible pipe. But also seems to have breakage prone reservoirs according to user reports. Panasonic also make a similar product but cant find out much about it so far.

Cheers

dunk

OFF TOPIC

but if you are a car/bike/mechanic type, then a cheap electric toothbrush is marvellous at cleaning the grease/dirt of small engine parts and cogs. It gets off so much more than a rag etc, and quicker. It's almost half way to ultrasonic bath clean.

Decided to buy a Kitty Hydrofloss and best price inclusive of delivery seems to be here http://www.shavers.co.uk/basket.php ... £65.66 including postage. Although the Waterpik worked it needed three or four refills to complete one flossing session and was a chore to use.

Found this online instruction manual for the Hydrofloss which might interest anyone else considering buying one http://www.miragedental.co.uk/downloads ... MANUAL.pdf

I did notice that when using the Waterpik there was a noticeable "taste" and "odour" as the water jet did its job ie blasting away all the plaque etc which a toothbrush would not normally remove ... and this "taste" is mentioned in the Hydrofloss instructions ... the "taste" should get less after regular use as there will be less plaque and debris to clear. The 'Kitty" can be used with antiseptic tablets costing £16 per thousand which are cheaper than bottles of mouthwash.

Cheers

dunk

Re: Waterpik or Hydrofloss Water Jet for Dental Flossing?

The Kitty Hydrofloss arrived this morning and seems to be excellent value. Have not used it yet.
    Coincidentally I went to my local medical practice this morning to have my ear syringed and was very surprised to see that the ear syringing apparatus is exactly the same as the Kitty Hydrofloss machine ... but they have different logos/brand names. I mentioned this to the nurse and she asked me how much the Kitty cost - when I told her she said that her ear syringe cost very much more because it was supplied by a medical equipment company.

The ear syringing was unsuccessful so have to go back next week after using more anti-inflammatory drops ... am getting fed up with the discomfort and each GP I've seen over last 2 months re same has offered different diagnosis. Might get an ENT Dept referral next week if does not improve.

Cheers

dunk

Please let me know how you get on with the Kitty Dunk, I keep looking at these. Sorry to hear about your ear problem, I had a blocked and buzzing left ear for a couple of months at the beginning of this year and it drove me mad. Finally cleared up on its own.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne
    Please let me know how you get on with the Kitty Dunk, I keep looking at these. Sorry to hear about your ear problem, I had a blocked and buzzing left ear for a couple of months at the beginning of this year and it drove me mad. Finally cleared up on its own.

Eddie
    Will do Eddie but probably not until have used the Kitty for a few days . I will have to use mine in the kitchen as is mains powered and do not have a shaver socket in my bathroom.

Cheers

dunk

Will post full report on the "Kitty" when have used it for a month but so far quite pleased with and it is making a good job of flossing my bridgework.

Cheers

dunk

Have been using the Kitty Hrdrofloss for a month so here is my "user report" .

The Kitty Hydrofloss is a motorised pump providing a pressurized water jet for cleaning teeth and gums. The pump pressure can be varied to suit the operator. Overall I'm very pleased with the results because it makes cleaning/flossing the gaps above/below my dental bridgework and tight spaces between dental crowns very much easier. Normally I would have to use "Super Floss" tape in bridgework areas ie thread the special floss through the tiny gap/hole above the bridge - which is a bit like threading through the eye of a needle. With the Kitty Hydrofloss, the pressurized water jet washes/flushes out the gap/hole which is a lot quicker and more effective. The water jet also cleans plaque between teeth where normal brushes cant clean so effectively.

There are three different jets provided with the Kitty. Two provide a fine jet more suitable for the actual gumline ie where the gums meet the teeth and for very tight/narrow gaps between teeth. The third is a medium jet which is more general purpose. The medium jet gives approx 2minutes and 30 seconds use with a full reservoir (800 ml capacity) which is adequate for general flossing & de-plaqueing of all your teeth and massaging of gums.. The fine jets provide approx 8 minutes use with a full reservoir. In practice I alternate the jets using the fine tips first followed by the medium tips and the reservoir has not required refilling - in fact I do not need to fill it to capacity. The jet makes a good job of removing residual food between teeth eg after eating fibrous meat/bacon/fish. I don't smoke so am uncertain as to whether the jet will remove tar/tobacco stains ... but imagine it probably would. I bought 1000 mouthwash tablets for use with the Kitty ... two or three tablets dissolve in the reservoir before use and are more cost effective than using bottled mouthwash. But I have since read in a book that mouthwash can be home-made using salt, soda bicarbonate and hydrogen peroxide. I'll post the "recipe" soon and may try it myself.

One area of my gums has been subject to tenderness/soreness because of dental bridgework. The discomfort - probably gingivitis - has almost disappeared after a month of using the Kitty. Thus I have achieved better gum hygiene and hopefully lessened the chance of future more serious teeth and gum problems. For anyone with bridgework I recommend the Kitty as it will certainly ensure that your gums/gingiva are kept cleaner than by using a toothbrush and normal floss and super floss ... plus after use there is a pleasant tingling sensation in the gums resulting from the water jet massage. But the Kitty is not just for people with bridgework as it cleans plaque and removes compacted food debris from "regular teeth" :-) too ... more effectively than a toothbrush ... and will thus probably lessen the chances of future decay and gum recession.

But there are downsides:

IMO it is essential to mount the Kitty pump and reservoir on the wall using the wall bracket provided. The device is also free standing (it has four small feet) but is not the most stable - thus when not wall-mounted it is easy to dislodge the reservoir ie when stored after use ... and also in eg a bathroom there would not necessarily be a worktop on which to place it.

The Kitty is fitted with a shaver plug so is only usable in your bathroom if you have a shaver socket . I don't have a shaver socket or a power point in my bathroom so use it in my kitchen where I have mounted it on the wall next to the kitchen sink. Mine is thus used with a shaver plug adaptor which the manufacturer does not recommend ... not sure why an adaptor is not recommended.

It is essential to use the water jet over a sink because of the residual spray (up to 800ml from a full reservoir) which flows from your mouth ... in my case over the kitchen sink ... this might not suit everyone.

There is a lot of residual spray and it takes some getting used to so as not to make too much of a mess. Also it pays to persevere with different ways of holding the jet to minimize misdirecting the spray .

The coiled 4mm diameter "hose" is 33 inches long fully extended. This sounds quite long but in practice can be right on the limit of extension depending on where you mount the reservoir. So is best to situate the reservoir/pump as close to the sink as possible to give maximum free play in the hose length. Being coiled it is like a "spring" so the hose tends to contract in length and pull on the jet whilst in use.

It is essential not to leave the reservoir "full" for any length of time with the tip holder below the level of the reservoir when not in use because then, water can still spray out of the jet when the motor is switched off ... and it is such a fine spray that it is not immediately noticeable .

Conclusion ... Very effective for flossing but can be very messy. Far superior to the battery operated devices which only hold a small amount of water. IMO essential for effective teeth and gum hygiene if you have dental bridgework.

Cheers

dunk

Master
    Blog Entries
    Dentist has just recommended a water flosser . Judging by this thread they have been going a while although first I've heard of them!

Many people use them here and are they really better than normal flossing?

Recommendations if they are good?

I get by more than adequately with these from Amazon.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0BVVSYQ...t_details&th=1

I've used a Waterpick for around 8 years and started whilst having some orthodontic work done. I use it with mouthwash rather than water and in conjunction with TePe interdental brushes. In my experience a Waterpick is far more effective at removing food debris and, by logical conclusion, bacterial build up. Having visited my dentist and hygienist yesterday (I do so every 6-months), I am very aware that the hygienist visits are now far shorter than they were before I used a Waterpick.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Skier View Post
    I've used a Waterpick for around 8 years and started whilst having some orthodontic work done. I use it with mouthwash rather than water and in conjunction with TePe interdental brushes. In my experience a Waterpick is far more effective at removing food debris and, by logical conclusion, bacterial build up. Having visited my dentist and hygienist yesterday (I do so every 6-months), I am very aware that the hygienist visits are now far shorter than they were before I used a Waterpick.
    Done…. I’ve brought one

I have used one for a number of years and they are absolutely excellent. I tend to add a little mouth wash as well with the water.

Highly recommended.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post
    Done…. I’ve brought one
    Best thing this forum has made me purchase. I’m amazed what gets trapped between my teeth when eating.

A real eye opener!

I’ve used a water flosser for about 20 years, started off with a water pick , then a Philips, had a Panasonic for about three years it’s easily the best one I’ve used, keeps gums in good condition, most obvious benefit is if I’ve eaten meat, as we get older gaps get bigger and little bits get stuck there, a minute of blasting and they’re all gone.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by reggie747 View Post
    I get by more than adequately with these from Amazon.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0BVVSYQ...t_details&th=1
    Was this in the film hostel!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post
    I’ve used a water flosser for about 20 years, started off with a water pick , then a Philips, had a Panasonic for about three years it’s easily the best one I’ve used, keeps gums in good condition, most obvious benefit is if I’ve eaten meat, as we get older gaps get bigger and little bits get stuck there, a minute of blasting and they’re all gone.
    What makes the panny the best would you say?

Quote Originally Posted by sprite1275 View Post
    No. Marathon Man I think 😂😁

What makes the panny the best would you say?
    Most powerful, and takes up the least space, seems to go on forever on one charge

Master
    Blog Entries
    Most powerful, and takes up the least space, seems to go on forever on one charge
    Thanks. Panny ordered.

Master
    I have a mains one for daily use, but need a travel one; any particular model you have?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Master
    Indeed, my gums bled as I opened the link!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    I have a mains one for daily use, but need a travel one; any particular model you have?
    I have THIS one for travel and it works well. The fact it's collapsible means it's nice and compact.

I have THIS one for travel and it works well. The fact it's collapsible means it's nice and compact.
    Yep that’s the one, works brilliantly just make sure you use warm water

Master
    Blog Entries
    First time I've been the hygienist for at least 5 years. Seems my dentist hasn't done a scale and polish in all that time. Seems the hygienist just does a scale and polish but makes it sound posh.
    According to NHS it should be in with your check up. As it always used to be years ago.

NHS dental charges
    There are 3 NHS charge bands:

Band 1: £25.80
    Covers an examination, diagnosis and advice. If necessary, it also includes X-rays, a scale and polish (if clinically needed), and planning for further treatment.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Oh. I've ordered this one. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Panasonic-I...Y2hfYXRm&psc=1

First time I've been the hygienist for at least 5 years. Seems my dentist hasn't done a scale and polish in all that time. Seems the hygienist just does a scale and polish but makes it sound posh.
    According to NHS it should be in with your check up. As it always used to be years ago.

NHS dental charges
    There are 3 NHS charge bands:

Band 1: £25.80
    Covers an examination, diagnosis and advice. If necessary, it also includes X-rays, a scale and polish (if clinically needed), and planning for further treatment.
    These days you simply won't get the best treatment on the NHS, and never did; you'll need to go private. If you haven't had a good hygienist treatment in many years you may need a lengthy appointment but it's absolutely worth it if you can afford it; it's not hugely expensive compared to crowns or root canal work.

I should declare that I'm a former dentist but left the profession in 1988, less than a year after graduation.

Oh. I've ordered this one.
    That's probably the one I'd buy now if looking to replace my current main one.

Master
    Blog Entries
    These days you simply won't get the best treatment on the NHS, and never did; you'll need to go private. If you haven't had a good hygienist treatment in many years you may need a lengthy appointment but it's absolutely worth it if you can afford it; it's not hugely expensive compared to crowns or root canal work.

I should declare that I'm a former dentist but left the profession in 1988, less than a year after graduation.
    I wasn't in there long seems I ain't been for so long. I do brush my teeth for 4 mins morning and night and floss so maybe my teeth do not get that bad. I can't say he did anything different from a scale and polish. But paid £60 for the privilege.

Looks really good, I’m sure all of their ones just work

Master
    You only use cold water the once lol.

Oh yes!!

Grand Master
    If you currently floss and don’t have any bleeding or problems then don’t bother changing, the research is minimal in the difference other than ease, and I mean that on both sides, flossing is simple if it works save your money.
    RIAC

Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post
    If you currently floss and don’t have any bleeding or problems then don’t bother changing, the research is minimal in the difference other than ease, and I mean that on both sides, flossing is simple if it works save your money.
    Yes but! These things are so convenient if you’ve got a bit of something between your teeth, three older you get the more it happens

Master
    Yes but! These things are so convenient if you’ve got a bit of something between your teeth, three older you get the more it happens
    I use mine after every meal, I love the feeling of clean teeth, even the bits you couldn’t feel there!

The one that amazed me was after a proper dirty doner kebab. The following morning my mouth didn’t feel like something had died in it & I could not taste that I’d had one the night prior.

Even after 3 mins with an electric brush I’m amazed what can be left behind when I was experimenting. Cannot believe I went so long without one.

Frustratingly the wife is being stubborn and won’t even try it for some reason.

Never considered these before so couple of questions -

One linked to in the thread has water tank enough for 60s use, how long does it take, is that long enough?

Secondly, do people share with family (different tips maybe) or that’s unhygienic and everyone has their own?

Can anyone summarise the difference between the various Panasonic models, and which features are essential or important versus those that are fluff?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post

One linked to in the thread has water tank enough for 60s use, how long does it take, is that long enough?

Secondly, do people share with family (different tips maybe) or that’s unhygienic and everyone has their own?
    We both share the tip. Little difference to sharing cutlery in our opinion

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master

I got this one as the smaller battery ones do empty rather quickly. The mains ones are also more powerful.

Waterpik Ultra Professional Water... https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01N34KS...p_mob_ap_share

A good clean with the pic, brush and gum tips take me through a couple of tanks. But daily maintenance is usually just a single tank, so 600ml of water which is 90s flat out.

I bought tips for my wife to use.

I’ve had one for a couple of years but only used it the once as it seemed out of control and had the effect of some form of laser beam from a Bond movie.

I used cold water…

Does warm water calm the thing down?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Kenney View Post
    I’ve had one for a couple of years but only used it the once as it seemed out of control and had the effect of some form of laser beam from a Bond movie.

I used cold water…

Does warm water calm the thing down?
    Cold water is just painful on the teeth / gums, warm water is more soothing. I don’t suffer from sensitive teeth, but this taught me what it could feel like.

That is a fair description of it to be fair. The power the water comes out at is astounding, ut guess if it was too gentle it won’t clean as well.

I left the handle switched on by accident in the early days, pushed the main power button and before I could work out what was happening, I was decorating the ceiling with water.

I found with mine that I started on a low setting, getting used to it & then worked up to higher power. Now I just dive straight in at the higher level.

Give it another go!

Cold water is just painful on the teeth / gums, warm water is more soothing. I don’t suffer from sensitive teeth, but this taught me what it could feel like.

That is a fair description of it to be fair. The power the water comes out at is astounding, ut guess if it was too gentle it won’t clean as well.

I left the handle switched on by accident in the early days, pushed the main power button and before I could work out what was happening, I was decorating the ceiling with water.
    No good for ear wax then?

Master
    No good for ear wax then?
    I’m wondering how many milliseconds of use before perforation of an ear drum happens.