closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Anyone need anything from Cousins?

Journeyman

Anyone need anything from Cousins?

I'll be ordering a 1.1mm cap jewel. I don't want to talk about it [1].

John

[1] A phrase I've noticed often used by people who won't shut up about something.

Banned

Re: Anyone need anything from Cousins?

:?: c,mon ...i want to know what you mean :!: craig

Journeyman

I have a rule. I service watches for immediate family members only. If I screw the watch, tough luck. As it happens, every watch I've ever fettled still runs, and since I lost an (easily replaced) screw on about watch number two, I haven't lost anything.

So somehow, I find myself addressing the first non-family watch - simple mainspring job, really should give it a service while I'm here. And it turns out to be an Omega cal. 1020. Absolutely, without question, the most complex watch I've tackled to date. Automatic, but with manual wind, day and date. Springs like bent eyelashes, screws like grains of caster sugar. So obviously I'm being very careful. Not careful enough. I managed to lose a cap jewel from the lower balance pivot. Normally, these are pretty perilous as they're like micro-tiddleywinks; 'plink'. On this occasion, I think I just rested my hand on it by accident when it was lying on the bench. That's it, gone. Should have put it straight in the movement tray.

I then (after this post) lost an incabloc spring from the upper balance pivot. Went ping from the tweezers, no sign since. Luckily Cousins have packets of five for this cal., for a couple of quid.

The good news is that it's back together now, barring dial and hands. I've never been so bloody relieved. +6/-6 seconds per day in all positions now.

Of course the owner will will be mildly grateful - "oh, cheers" - but not overly effusive, I imagine.

John

You lost me in the details but I share the "moral of the story" with you, it's too easy to put yourself out and do someone a favour, only to find that they don't see it as such. I've spent much of my life doing this, often at great personal cost and mostly with little appreciation. I still find that if it makes me feel good then I keep on doing it, as the deed is it's own reward.

Famous management proverb; No good deed goes un-punished

Gren

Blog Entries

Sounds like my lifetime relationship with the tax man.

But on a serious note i avoid doing jobs and favours.

Martin
    I FEEL LIKE I'M DIAGONALLY PARKED IN A PARALLEL UNIVERSE

Master
    Blog Entries

:(

Gotta love Cousin's even tho they do sometimes get the parts mixed up!

Journeyman

Cousins certainly carry some great stuff,,,,, but they seem a little hit'n'miss as to whther they reply to faxes & e-mails.

It's o.k if you actually know what you want & order from catelogue or www site,,,,

but I find them hard work.

Master
    Blog Entries

Imo Cousins are oks, always found US sites to have a great selection of kit and fairer prices.

FYI http://www.mccawcompany.com are very good no minimum orders and postage is fair 8)