closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I got burgled last night!!

Craftsman

I got burgled last night!!

I just need to share my pain.........

Mrs Acky (5 months pregnant) shouted me from downstairs about 7.30 this morning 'weve been robbed'.... :evil: :evil:

Some bastards had forced the back UPVC door look and broken the barrel, I thought I heard something last night, but presumed it was fireworks!! Anyway luckily (I guess) they were after the keys to my 5 series BMW (my pride and joy), I say luckily as the keys were upstairs with me and they didnt get them. They didnt take much, mainly my wallet with cards and a bit of cash, but they ransacked the kitchen and front room!

The police have been very good, buts its unlikly they will catch anyone, aparantly 4 other houses localy all got done last night, but they only got in to mine, lucky me eh.

You will all be pleased to know my watch collection is safe as i keep them upstairs. On a serious note Im ok, but my wife is terrified!! I guess its a good job I didnt find them as id either be dead or in jail.

Craftsman

Re: I got burgled last night!!

Sad to here this. At least they didn't get the motor or the watches.

Good luck. Hope they get them.

Thomas Reid

I'm sad to hear this too.

Best wishes,
    Bob

Blog Entries

Good to hear you and the wife are OK.
    It's a terrible experience , being burgled.
    And the more material goods you have, the harder the pain :) .

I hope they catch the bastards.

Cheers,

Daddel.
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

I know how you are feeling, happened to me once. Good thing they didn't get anything valuable - still, it's a bastard though.

Sorry to hear this. :evil: A blessing you didn't catch them at it as you say.
    F.T.F.A.

Damn! At least they only got stuff that was replaceable.
    Dave E

Skating away on the thin ice of a new day

Master
    Blog Entries

very sad, but as has already been said, at least you are both safe. Bastards

Craftsman

Thanks for your comments guys, I agree it could have been alot worse, as I say just needed to share the pain and the friendly TZ seemed the place to do it.

Cheers all

Quote Originally Posted by phil h

our house alarm has just knacked up ia'm goinig to buy one of them wire-free ones,will get it sooner than later,it's that time of year Xmas dark nights.Acky what part of Halifax do you live i used to live there wheatley meadow lane.

bowie

Life is like a fridge , you only get out what you put in !
    Blog Entries

Sorry mate, had I been working :evil: you know I would have nailed them :wink:

Master

Sorry to hear that m8, glad at least you're both ok, it's the long term consecuences that take a lot more to deal with... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Happened to us a few years ago - feels crap, but as you say, could have been a lot worse. Chin up.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by bowie
    Quote Originally Posted by phil h

our house alarm has just knacked up ia'm goinig to buy one of them wire-free ones,will get it sooner than later,it's that time of year Xmas dark nights.Acky what part of Halifax do you live i used to live there wheatley meadow lane.

bowie
    HI Bowie, Im in Northowram, aparantly its been a hot stop resonatly for car keys getting nicked, they are after anything high value or performance, mainly german aparantly. cheers

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by Chartman69
    Sorry mate, had I been working :evil: you know I would have nailed them :wink:
    Thanks Chartman, I know you would have taken them down!!! :wink:

Sorry to hear this Acky, we had someone in our kitchen a few years ago. They didn't get anything but dismantled a window and made a lot of mess.

My cousin lives in Southowram, her husband owns the plant nursery there and my uncle used to be secretary of the Southowram club.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

At home - But They're Coming To Take Me Away Ha Ha

Sorry to hear my friend.

As well as my dog, I have(what some would think expensive) an alarm linked to a monitoring station. Wouldn't be without one. Only snag is it has to be part armed when folk stay :cry:
    Paul

GOT...TO...KILL...CAPTAIN STUPID!

Craftsman

Sorry to hear that.

Master

Sorry to hear that mate. Glad you are okay and they didn't get the BMW.

Bastards :evil:

the place where we live is small (75m2) and everything is on the same level which is also the ground level. If someone gets in the good part is that the little hairy one makes sure everyone is up well before anyone has yet breached in. - The bad part is that if someone is stoned or deaf enough to ignore the little living alarm bell I have but no other change than to face the guy(s).

Suffice to say I am well prepared as I truly believe that the saying "si vis pacem para bellum" has a lot in it.

Sorry to hear this, but as others have said, the important thing is that you and your wife are all right.

Sadly, we don't have sufficient deterents in this country to put people off from doing this sort of thing. Now if only we had a deterrent such as cutting off a hand for a first offence. :twisted:

Barbaric?

In my book it's not as barbaric as the distress and anxiety these bastards cause. Most of them are useless to society anyway.

Get an alarm fitted. Well worth the cost.
    Best Regards - Peter

I'd hate to be with you when you're on your own.

Master

!

Sorry to hear that - we have been done a couple of times here in London.

Two weeks ago we were burgled in Turkey (amongst other items that went were a Cartier Santos). They take crime rather more seriously - within half an hour there were 4 Jandarmeri there, joined within another 10 minutes by 4 policemen taking finger and footprints. Including our agent, and friends my wife was making tea for 12 of them!

Master

That's awful news, very sorry to hear it.

As others have said, a good alarm is well worth having. Mine is set to cover all of downstairs every time I come upstairs for the night, it's peace of mind. Has a seriously loud internal alarm as well as two external (front and back) designed to disorientate anyone who does come in. Has a panic button function too.

But equally, a good external deterrent. The hope is that the little scrotes will see the alarm boxes (and sensors inside if they look) and hopefully it won't even get that far.

Not dear, about £400 I think fitted, plus an £85 service contract, cheap for a bit more peace of mind.

Hope you get over it soon, it must be dreadfully unnerving to say the least.

Craftsman

Thanks again guys for your comments.

In terms of alarms, ive always been of the school of thought that they are pointless as no one takes any notice of them, however last night it would have scared them of for sure and woke me up, so it could definatly be the way forward.

Cheers

P.S. didnt mention that they nicked loads of bills from a kitchen draw, so no doubt ''I'' will be applying for alsorts of credit cards and loans now. Did I say BASTARDS :evil:
    Acky

Craftsman

Pretty appauling luck mate.
    I'm gutted for you & for whats its worth, it has happened to to me in the
    recent past.
    Not much to say except I hope all is insured.

Cheers

So sorry to hear that Acky. :(

Alarm, dog or possibly both is the way to help you and (especially) your wifes obvious upset.

All the best. :)
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Blog Entries

A terrible thing to happen to you but the upside is that you and your family are unharmed. I do not say this in any patronising manner but be sensitive to the trauma your wife will be dealing with even though she may try to make light of it. I have an American friend who is a police officer in Oklahoma and he tells me they do not have much housebreaking over there as a burgler is at extremely high risk of being shot dead. Over there, they do not shoot to disable, if you have to shoot, you shoot to kill. Apart from eliminating the immediate threat, there is no follow-up lawsuit from an injured criminal to deal with. The old saying goes 'Better to be judged by twelve than carried by six' and criminals are aware of that mindset held by the average American householder. The law abiding citizens of this country are not allowed guns, I will not debate that, but what is appalling is the lack of will in this country to viciously persecute those who would violate a persons home. Sadly the person who is most likely to feel the full force of the law is the law abiding householder defending himself and his family. :(

Sorry to hear this.

Fitted snapsafe barrels to all our doors after a break in locally - much safer.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Master

So, so sorry to hear that mate and I really feel for you and your wife.
    Just the one word to describe them - scum.
    I have been broken into 3 times and the level of anger it created inside me is difficult to describe.
    I have absolutely no sympathy or compassion for scum and anyone that breaks into a man's house should have to consider the consequences of those actions and not, as it appears to me, to feel protected by the law from anything "nasty" that might happen to him.
    I can already feel the blood beginning to boil so will stop now before I get carried away and reveal perhaps a darker side of my character than I have previously chosen to share :wink:

A good topic for the pit, I believe.......

Master

sorry to hear, you don't have an alarm :?:

Sorry to hear about the burglary. I totally agree with a lot of the comments in this thread. The scum that burgle should have their hands chopped off. When you are affected by crime directly it makes you so angry! :x

Will be saving up for a good alarm myself I think.

Master

Sorry to hear about this; most of you know I had an incident the other week with with a scumbag-and know my thoughts on the tw**s!! A decent alarm (not wireless though) (or a couple of dogs) should do the trick! I can set my alarm so it arms the downstairs part of the house.
    This type should give you and your missus peace of mind and help you not worry so much. I know my missus feels safer when I'm working away. I've also fitted the bedroom door with a substantial deadbolt so she can lock herself in should she ever have to (er, no, not from me :lol: ). (the 2 dogs are a great early warning device and our bedroom window is an escape route out of the house-fire precaution but a good way to get out if other trouble arrives!)
    Hope you get settled again ok soon.
    cheers
    Mark

Sorry to hear about this. I hope they catch the bastards!!

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Sharky
    Sorry to hear about this. I hope they catch the bastards!!

Mark
    +1

Hi

Sorry to hear that... its terrible some thief stepping on your property... even worse if you are in.

Thanks
    deano

Master

That's awful, really sorry to hear that. One of the girls from work got done last week, too and they just emptied her house. :(

Craftsman

I hope your wife is ok, having just had a baby I know that its a topsy turvy time for the 'mrs'

I echo the sentiments of others in that I hope they catch the scum. Failing that have faith in the Karma Police.

Regards ~ Simon

Master

That is bad news, especially so with your Mrs in the condition that she's in.

Agree with a lot of what's been said, especially about how the law treats those defending their property against violation. Makes me very mad.

Hope it all works out best that it can. Chin up.

Journeyman

Smart move keeping your keys upstairs with you.

Sorry to hear they have invaded your home though... I would have wanted to do some damage to them too mate.

Please send you lady our best wishes. Nuph x

A decent alarm (not wireless though) (or a couple of dogs)
    I have a nice ickle Westie, who will bark for ANY reason. So, though no-one may be intimidated by him, he has a big bruvver! And he bites! Loves Postmen, delivery men, repairmen in fact any one or any thing that sets foot near his house. We "used" to have a right of way running up the far side, nobody uses it now, everyone got the message shortly after we moved in and soon he is getting a pal! You just can't have enough big dogs. Not that my animals are viscious or out of control, i would not put up with it. But i would never discourage them from protecting "theirs" and with the big fella, EVERYTHING is his :D
    This does not work for everyone, nor do i suggest it is the answer, but it works for me.

Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by cam1210
    Sorry to hear about the burglary. I totally agree with a lot of the comments in this thread. The scum that burgle should have their hands chopped off. When you are affected by crime directly it makes you so angry! :x
    ...which is part of the problem. I know quite a few ex-liberals from uni days who, like so many judges and basically the Labour Party, think locking people up is barbaric and that criminals can not only somehow learn the error of their ways, but can make amends - or even that society can/should/will accept them in the way they demonstrate their freedom of spirit by nicking other people's stuff. But unlike senile judges and The Party, most of my erstwhile colleagues have had a burglarised taste of what life would be like for everyone if their sick doctrine were to be adopted in full, and are paid-up members of the floggings-too-good-for-them brigade. A shame they had to learn the hard way.

Commiserations to the victim of this perpetration (and I use the term "victim" in its proper sense, not the stupid 21st-Century sense).
    ...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!

Glad you are ok and they didn't get much.

Has made me think about what we leave downstairs at night though :(

Sorry to hear about this, it's a sad state of affairs when the scum who break the law have more legal protection than the person whose home has been violated.

Mark

Craftsman

Sorry to hear about that mate. I think the one thing this bloody nanny state should ban and doesn't is sodding fireworks. Makes you wonder how many houses get turned over using the noise as cover.

Journeyman

Really sorry to hear that Acky.

Master

Thankfully they didn't bother with you or your wife. Tough to get over the feeling of violation. I'm gonna agree with all the other dog owners here and say get a dog even a small dog with a loud bark will scare of most burglars. At the most the bark will alert you.

Craftsman

Really very sorry to hear about the burglary, The same thing happened to the wife and myself about 3 years ago. I got up and they had stolen loads of stuff we found it really unnerving for a few weeks and my wife couldn’t sleep. So you have our total empathy. Needless to say I hope they get caught and lots of other things it would not be polite to write in the forum.

I'm sorry to hear of your break in.
    I would echo some points made earlier with regards to your wife. The most important thing that you can do now is to try to make her feel safe again ASAP. I would immediately upgrade all the locks, not much, but something. You should also get an alarm installed, even a basic one. The sooner she feels safe again the sooner things will be back to normal in the house.
    These kinds of break ins, while the owners are in the house, are uncommon in the US AFAIK. We have a large dog and an alarm. The house has internal motion detectors as well, but we disable them when we are home to let the dog roam. It is monitored and we pay to have the police answer as well. They will also notify the fire department if the fire alarms go off. In the event of a fire, they may arrive in time to save the house. It seems like a good investment.
    In the US, any criminal who goes into an alarmed house while the owners are present, and gets past the dog should rightly expect to be met with deadly force. They would not reach the top of my stairs and the military taught me only one way to shoot, and it does not involve one in the leg. :wink: The use of deadly force defending ones family in this type of situation is viewed as acceptable here. However having said that, TV and the movies have taught EVERYONE the sound of a double barrel (over/under of course) break open shotgun slamming shut, so I would hope that said criminal would decide not to continue up the stairs.
    One of my old med school pals has a laser sight on his 50 cal Desert Eagle for home defense. He is a bad, bad man. They would never see it coming. BOOM! BOOM! "What was that?" "Nothing sweetie, go back to bed, I'm just taking out the trash."
    Regards,

Journeyman

Sorry to hear about this mate..the ba*tards!!

Glad to see you and the misses are ok.

Very sorry to hear abotu your bad and disturbing news (especially about your wife, I can understand this is quite upsetting).

My ex's brothers house was burgled this week - he is working away in Qatar and his wife is home alone - luckily I guess she was out of the house at a sisters - but they took everything - must have been a planned job with a van or two, as they have more electrical equipment etc. than currys!
    It's just a matter of time...