closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Replica Watches; Evil Junk or Honest Watches?

Craftsman

Replica Watches; Evil Junk or Honest Watches?

As a relatively new addict to watches my only experience of 'replica' watches in the past was of knock-off Rolex or similar made to last till you had left the country of purchase but now I am coming across web sites selling what appear to be reasonable quality replicas with a swiss movement etc.
    My main interest is in mechanical alarm watches and my selection is slowly building with watches from the 60's through to the late 80's but anything newer is generally very high end and relatively expensive as well as rarely for sale.
    My problem is that I cannot decide if these replicas warrant interest and possible purchase as watches in their own right or if I am just encouraging the production and distribution of fakes.
    On the one hand these watches are mechanical alarms apparently made with reasonable movements although generally assembled in China or India and as such could be viewed as interesting watches in their own right. On the other they are blatant copies of someone else's work and are sold probably to be passed off as originals.
    I would be interested in the views of others both as to the quality of these watches in themselves as well as the ethics of buying such things.
    Obviously it is totally wrong to try and sell these as the real thing but as a usable watch of interest do they have a place in a collection?

Master
    Blog Entries

Re: Replica Watches; Evil Junk or Honest Watches?

Imo Crap :lol:

Homages are oks tho, can be GOOD! :)

Grand Master

Replicas = Junk
    Homage = Ok

IMHO of course.
    /vince ..

Quote Originally Posted by VinceR
    Replicas = Junk
    Homage = Ok

IMHO of course.
    I'm with Vince on this.

If it's using a logo that it shouldn't, then it's wrong in my book. It's pretending to be something it isn't and I don't like that.
    Dave E

Skating away on the thin ice of a new day

replicas are a waste of time and money!!

There are some very good fake watches that don't fit into the 'junk' category. They are however pretty dodgy from a moral perspective and from what I can see fairly expensive. I recounted on another thread about my friends Tag Chrono and a fake he has of the watch. Hard to tell the two apart but consider he paid nearly 200 quid for it and it starts to look seriously expensive. I'd much rather have a nice Seiko than any fake.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave E
    Replicas = Junk
    Homage = Ok

IMHO of course.
    I'm with Vince on this.

If it's using a logo that it shouldn't, then it's wrong in my book. It's pretending to be something it isn't and I don't like that.
    Me too.
    F.T.F.A.

Someone else on here said that wearing a fake is like wearing a lie on your wrist. Just about sums it up for me.

Master

Indeed, "replica" is just a euphemism for a fake that is masquerading as something that it isn't. So I cannot see how such a piece could ever be regarded as an "interesting" watch - even though it may, to all intents and purposes, be just as good as the original.

For me, living a lie is not compatible with happiness, so I could never take pleasure in knowingly wearing a replica watch, if its intention was to deceive.

There are grey areas, of course. Some wealthy owners of original Picassos and Matisses have been known to commission a perfect copy (ie fake) of the work to hang on their wall, while the painting itself remains safely locked away. One would be hard pushed to censure them for this, although it would seem somehow tacky if they were doing the same thing with their Patek Philippes.

People, please....

Not this replica/fake discussion again :?
    I'm not as think as you drunk I am.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Steve
    Someone else on here said that wearing a fake is like wearing a lie on your wrist. Just about sums it up for me.
    I had it as my 'pithy quote' signature for a while - and I believe in it wholeheartedly.

The whole 'fake' scene sickens me and I've no time for anyone who pretends to have/be something that isn't.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Quote Originally Posted by ralphy
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Steve
    I had it as my 'pithy quote' signature for a while - and I believe in it wholeheartedly.

The whole 'fake' scene sickens me and I've no time for anyone who pretends to have/be something that isn't.

R
    That's right Ralphy.

The whole replica thing stinks of chav IMO.

You can buy perfectly good watches for very little money nowadays so the only reason you would buy a fake is to try and convince other people. :roll:
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Sure it's all been done to death a thousand times but I suppose there are a few reasons people might want fakes.

My friend has a copy of his Tag Link so he can wear it and save his genuine item for 'best'- I argued that the 200 quid he spent on it would have been better used for servicing his real Tag.

People might really like a classic design and can't afford it- some of the homage watches could easily fill this role but I wonder how many people would be interested in an exact copy of a Submariner but without the brand name on it? Tudor have never done as well as Rolex have they.

I wonder if the same people buy counterfeit clothes, dodgy DVDs and such, I know for a fact my friend owns a fake Armani suit and it looks terrible!

Craftsman

Well,

I'm in the market at the moment for a Milsub... and obviously not a real one. There are some quite good copies knocking around, with (allegedly) ETA 2436-2 movements, for about £150.

I like Rolex, and Milsubs in particular, but i am not able to come up with the £62,000 odd needed to buy one.

I wanted a roughty-toughty sailing watch when I'm out on my Hobie 16, and I like the idea of fixed bars and a (relatively) cheap watch. There was a discussion about these watches on here a few months ago, and I believe a couple of forumers have one. I do not need to impress anyone with a watch, and if I did buy this fake, and someone became very excited when they saw the watch on my wrist, I would not hesitate to explain to them where the watch came from. I understand the "wearing a lie" comment earlier on in this thread, but I would never be interested in passing it off as genuine... I have a genuine Sea-Dweller for showing off!!

I'm still hesitating over pulling the trigger, not over the watch itself, but concern over where my personal information might end up after the sale has been completed... why on earth would they want my date of birth on the registration page??!!

Effortless.

Banned

replicas crap {unless panerai replica } homage ok {sometimes better than original }

Craftsman

Part of the difficulty is that I would be much happier buying the replica if it was sold as a plain watch without any name or just the real maker's name and I would be happy to pay their asking prices BUT.
    I doubt the maker would bother to make the watch as their own label and it is very unlikely that they could sell enough of them to produce them at the prices they can sell at now.
    Also there are very few (if any other than from Russia) new mechanical alarms produced theses days except at the multi thousand pound level (Oris Artelier Alarm; Horae, etc).
    As to wearing a lie, I would doubt the majority of the public would know if it was a replica as they would not know of the existance of the original and anyone who knew me would know it was a copy and just part of my odd hobby.
    My major discomfort lies in the support I would be giving to those promoting the use of rep[licas as a lie.

Life is like a fridge , you only get out what you put in !
    Blog Entries

I would rather kiss this women before she cleans her teeth than, wear a Fake/Replica lie.

Master

I will never buy a fake (not knowingly anyway!), my main problem with the Rolex for £20 quid in Bangkok or Morroco or wherever is that counterfeit activities on this scale are linked to organised crime. Organised crime means guns, drugs & prostitution or raising monies to support other dubious activities. Sure, it's a bit of a laugh to come back from holiday with a "Submariner" but there is quite likely some desparate stories & abuse behind it's production.

Sorry to bring it down :cry:

If fakes make people happy, who am I to argue? :twisted:

john
    THIN is the new BLACK

Master

Don't like them, but they're not aimed at WIS are they. For lots of people, a watch is a status symbol, and getting a cheap one is a quick way to look a bit more flash.

Doesn't really bother me either though. Brands have value largely because of the investment in them, in terms of advertising and product placement, and that's what fakes buy into. I just want a quality watch.

Master

It does bother me because fake goods are distributed and sold by criminals. They are for chav scum only, the same as fake burberry caps and fake gucci handbags. Bought by ppl with no morals or taste and only a shallow desire to have lots of bling to show of to other ppl.

I think they have their place, I know I'm not the only one who's owned a fake before getting the real thing.

I wasn't fussed what watch I wore a few years back, then my Dad brought me back a fake tag from a holiday (and for a laugh gave me it on my 20th birthday) It was utter crap, the glass broke before the day was out however from then on I wanted a real one, which he subsequently be bough for my 21st the following year.
    So that fake cost him a lot more than £5 he paid originally.

I'm not alone on this, last year a friend of mine bought a fake Brietling, a 'top quality one' at £150, he wore it for a month or two before deciding he felt like a fraud then spent £1900 on an Omega Planet Ocean.

Moral of my story, avoid the fakes, you'll only end up paying for the real thing in the end.

Chris

Replicas = Junk
    Homage = Ok

IMHO of course.
    +1

Journeyman

As I understand it, a replica is a copy which is using the original makers name (without permission), an Homage is a similar-looking watch but which doesn't pretend to be the original - eg. no use of the original brands name.

Lots of people have been saying:

Replicas = bad
    Homage = OK

I totally agree with this, where possible.
    There are, however, some watches which are available only as overpriced originals, or fakes. No homages are available.

So, how do I decide if an original is overpriced? Well, it's pretty subjective, and everyone will have a different answer, but we know that small companies like Jorg Schauer or Debaufre can make awesome watches for $2000 or so. (The end price includes their development costs, overheads, and profit)

So when some manufacuturer tries to charge $75,000, you know that the price breakdown is as follows:

Cost of producing watch $500
    Straight profit $74,500

When you try to put the price so stupidly high, just to be 'exclusive' then you deserve to have your product faked. Thats when I would buy one!

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Chartman69
    I would rather kiss this women before she cleans her teeth than, wear a Fake/Replica lie.
    thats a bad one :shock:

Master

Quote Originally Posted by NJH
    They are for chav scum only, the same as fake burberry caps and fake gucci handbags. Bought by ppl with no morals or taste and only a shallow desire to have lots of bling to show of to other ppl.
    Quality response although I don't agree and always thought that was the perception of all genuine Rolex buyers these days.............? :D

Absolutely hate fake watches. I also dislike watches that although are not fake try and look like a particular brand.

Craftsman

So a homage is not just a copy? Let people buy what they want and for whatever reason. Ive seen the best fakes ever made and the quality makes the Big "swiss mafia" look far far too expensive for what you get. Now what is really bad is the Vietnamese Rolexes "tuned" up in USA etc with Real Rolex parts. Now a silly buyer is going to be in trouble.

Its unreal to feel "superior" to some one because you have a £3k watch and they have a $200 fake. Judge the person by their smile and life not by what they have on their wrist !

Quote Originally Posted by redmond
    Quote Originally Posted by Chartman69
    thats a bad one :shock:
    I found something hauntingly atractive about her.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by shalako
    Absolutely hate fake watches. I also dislike watches that although are not fake try and look like a particular brand.
    100% agree. Same here.

Master
    Blog Entries

I have bought a couple of fake watches simly because i couldnt afford the real ones and had the itch.

I bought a £200 Roger Dubuis Easy diver fake. Its quite good if all markings correct sapphire glass front and back. It has a lemania movement (probably and asian copy version), But it just doesnt satisfy like the real thing. I never wear it out and it has killed my desire to own the real thing. I wouldnt buy an RD easy diver now.

Id say if its a watch thats out of your reach why not try it, but dont expect it to compare to the real thing in quality terms.

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by Bluetinfloor
    I will never buy a fake (not knowingly anyway!), my main problem with the Rolex for £20 quid in Bangkok or Morroco or wherever is that counterfeit activities on this scale are linked to organised crime. Organised crime means guns, drugs & prostitution or raising monies to support other dubious activities. Sure, it's a bit of a laugh to come back from holiday with a "Submariner" but there is quite likely some desparate stories & abuse behind it's production.

Load of typical "Daily Mail" Crap

Craftsman

It does bother me because fake goods are distributed and sold by criminals. They are for chav scum only, the same as fake burberry caps and fake gucci handbags. Bought by ppl with no morals or taste and only a shallow desire to have lots of bling to show of to other ppl.

I know a guy who wears a £10k watch
    he has about 1/2 a tooth in his head. Lives in a one bed council flat which is not clean. never eaten a proper meal in his life. He thinks the world ends after brighton. Yet he thinks he has a "life" because of his watch !

some real snobbish remarks going on in this thread here !

And i know people who are worth 2-3 million and laugh at people buying £10k watches !

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Merlinxlm

Never read it my life - have been to Thailand a number of times and other eastern countries where counterfeiting is rife and it ain't pretty....

Craftsman

Never read it my life - have been to Thailand a number of times and other eastern countries where counterfeiting is rife and it ain't pretty....

And you think they buy AK47s'???? do me a favor!! its a load of crap been spread about by Rolex etc

Master

And you think they buy AK47s'???? do me a favor!! its a load of crap been spread about by Rolex etc
    ok fine, the proceeds of wholesale conterfeiting are all declared and whats left is put in the building society. Lets agree to disagree.

Master

I'll never buy one. If it copies a known design but put a different name on the dial (replica) maybe I'll remotely consider. But if it uses the same name (fake) I'll never get one.

Scum chavs eh....

my solid 18k gold 16618 appears to be losing its colour, anyone know a good replating service in the UK :D

Quote Originally Posted by Effortless
    Well,

I'm in the market at the moment for a Milsub... and obviously not a real one. There are some quite good copies knocking around, with (allegedly) ETA 2436-2 movements, for about £150.

I like Rolex, and Milsubs in particular, but i am not able to come up with the £62,000 odd needed to buy one.

I wanted a roughty-toughty sailing watch when I'm out on my Hobie 16, and I like the idea of fixed bars and a (relatively) cheap watch. There was a discussion about these watches on here a few months ago, and I believe a couple of forumers have one. I do not need to impress anyone with a watch, and if I did buy this fake, and someone became very excited when they saw the watch on my wrist, I would not hesitate to explain to them where the watch came from. I understand the "wearing a lie" comment earlier on in this thread, but I would never be interested in passing it off as genuine... I have a genuine Sea-Dweller for showing off!!
    Do you really think a fake Sub is going to be as water resistant as your SD when you are sailing?
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by inspector gadget
    Scum chavs eh....

my solid 18k gold 16618 appears to be losing its colour, anyone know a good replating service in the UK :D
    :lol: :lol: :lol:

Well,

I'm still hesitating over pulling the trigger, not over the watch itself, but concern over where my personal information might end up after the sale has been completed... why on earth would they want my date of birth on the registration page??!!

Effortless.
    So why buy a fake then?

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

I know a guy who wears a £10k watch
    he has about 1/2 a tooth in his head. Lives in a one bed council flat which is not clean. never eaten a proper meal in his life. He thinks the world ends after brighton. Yet he thinks he has a "life" because of his watch !
    That's up to him.

some real snobbish remarks going on in this thread here !
    Not snobbish, just a forum of people who appreciate fine watches. How could we ever give a fake any credence?

And i know people who are worth 2-3 million and laugh at people buying £10k watches !
    Good for them. :)
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Master

ok fine, the proceeds of wholesale conterfeiting are all declared and whats left is put in the building society. Lets agree to disagree.
    ah, now you're talking "Organised" Crime!!

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by chrisparker
    Moral of my story, avoid the fakes, you'll only end up paying for the real thing in the end.
    Chris
    Chris is so right!

I knew cock-all about watches, but saw a fake GMT Master in a local antiques emporium - looked good to me - you could even see 'Rolex' engraved on the rotor through the glass back!!! The lack of a GMT hand passed me by too...

Bought it - wore it - bezel scratched easily but was happy until a colleague at work noticed it and asked for a look. He, of course, had the genuine article on his wrist. The look on his face told me all I needed to know.

That was the start of the slippery slope into ownership of a few decent Seikos; then onto a Tissot; Oris; the leap into Omega and the plunge into ownership of a beautiful Sub Date (bought pre-owned, but from an AD I would add)!

I still wear the fake, BTW - but never out of the house and only when doing something that I think might damage my G-Shock! B*stard thing keeps going... :twisted:

Craftsman

I didn't realise I would stir up such strong feelings when I started this post but it is clear many members are quite passionate on this topic.
    Having read the responses I thought I would just summarise where I felt it left my feelings.
    1. I still dislike the concept of 'fakes' but am not sure quite where 'replicas' fit in; if intended as a fake clearly bad but if viewed as a watch in their own right possibly not.
    2. I would not buy a replica as a substitute for the real thing but I may buy one if it represents an interesting example of an alarm watch in its own right.
    3. It would be great if it were possible to buy the watches without the replica details but that does not seem possible. (I wonder if our host would be willing to 'de-replicate' fakes by fitting plain case backs/dials/etc?)

Hoping I didn't ruffle too many sensibilities by raising this topic or with my conclusions.

I wanted a roughty-toughty sailing watch when I'm out on my Hobie 16, and I like the idea of fixed bars and a (relatively) cheap watch.
    CWC quartz diver.
    F.T.F.A.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Sam
    I wonder how many people would be interested in an exact copy of a Submariner but without the brand name on it?
    Leaving the price issue aside, I'd actually prefer to have a no-date sub without the brand name, and without all the over-the-top marketing blurb about 'superlative chronometer bla bla' on the dial. I like my last-generation ZEX with its almost empty dial... In fact, it's all the text on the dial that would keep me off Rolexes even if I could afford them. Getting essentially the same product of the same quality for a fraction of the price just without the brand and blurb on it would be a very interesting proposition in my view. But of course then it's automatically an homage, not a fake...

Master

Exactly and this is the point. I would love a milsub hommage, but at the moment a chinese fake milsub is all I can find. It has been discussed on here about the possibility of Eddie making an early sub hommage but this never went anywhere. Anyhoo plenty of nice reasonable price watches out there. Why the hell would anyone pay 150 or 200 quid for dubious sub fake when you can get a Seiko 007 for 100 quid?

Quote Originally Posted by MAW
    I knew cock-all about watches, but saw a fake GMT Master in a local antiques emporium - looked good to me - you could even see 'Rolex' engraved on the rotor through the glass back!!! The lack of a GMT hand passed me by too... :oops
    There's a clue there. :wink:

R

Master

I brought one in my early days of collecting on the assumption that it would satisy my craving for an expensive watch at a fraction of the cost. The truth is it just didn't work because it was not the real thing and I new it even if no one else did. Second point is it had practically no second hand value whereas the real thing, sensibly purchased and looked after will probably retain its value. Seems the better option to me :lol: