closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Time for an Android Tablet?

Time for an Android Tablet?

I have used iPads since the original version, but now having a second Android phone (alongside my main iPhone), I am getting used to Android ecosystem and whereas I do like it, I still find it inferior to iOS.

So, I am replacing my iPad mini 5 (sold on SC) and my default would have been an iPad 10, but the specs on it feel rubbish. Poor display and refresh rate and 64 GB(!!) in 2024, and the requirement to pay a fortune for more memory. Even the iPad Air seems to have a poor refresh rate and display compared to the Android competition, and the 2022 version still defaults to 64 GB. iPAd Pro is just too expensive for what I mostly using it for (browsing, media consumption and YouTube)

Some of the specs of the Android competition are amazing given comparison with the iPad 10, and come in significantly cheaper. Browsing the Xioami Pad 6 at 233, the specs seem to blow the iPad Air out of the water, especially the display, storage and speakers.

So, anyone moved from Apple to top end Android tablets, and is the Apple tax worth it for iOS over everything else, if I am only mainly using it for media consumption?

Good price on the Xiaomi. I'd get that. Unless it's a Xioami, in which case it's a knock off

Sent from my M2101K6G using Tapatalk

Been there, done that. Three different Android tablets later and I'm back to an iPad.

Android tablets are very much the poor relation; hardware specs flatter to deceive and you get what you pay for. There's a good case to be made for the cheap and cheerful ones if all you need is email, a browser and a few undemanding media apps. But the pricier ones make no sense, might as well cough the extra for an iPad. Even the cheapest iPad is in a different league.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Seamaster73 View Post
    Been there, done that. Three different Android tablets later and I'm back to an iPad.

Android tablets are very much the poor relation; hardware specs flatter to deceive and you get what you pay for. There's a good case to be made for the cheap and cheerful ones if all you need is email, a browser and a few undemanding media apps. But the pricier ones make no sense, might as well cough the extra for an iPad. Even the cheapest iPad is in a different league.
    Agreed. I left the iPad owners club ever so briefly, think in under a fortnight it was given to my niece and was back

Long time android phone user and new iPad mini owner. Very happy with my choice.

Different usage from the OP as purely wanted a small tablet and the pen as a "notepad" and nothing else came close. Nothing in the android range and the remarkable etc notepads are expensive for what they offer.

The bit that is hard is that people tend to be divided into two camps and as such it's hard to find objective opinions. It's rare to find someone with experience of both OS at a similar time so opinions can be polarised.

i feel the main issue with android tablets is that the apps and websites aren't optimised in the same way iOS ones are. So you find some are just scaled up phone apps, some sitesare glitchy etc etc. Also the low end ones or older ones can feel frustratingly slow compared to quicker phones. That being said, the big plus of android over an ipad is that you can use it more like a computer, so you can use removable storage, customise it more etc etc.

However if you're just using it for content consumption (netflix, youtube etc etc) then i see no reason to pay the apple tax IMHO. Also if your app / tool of choice has a nice web app then the limitation of the apps becomes less. The more niche your use case or the more embedded you ar into iOS the more the case for apple starts to make sense.

Personally even though i prefer android I have a love / hate relationship with my tab s6 lite.....it's great for watching content but it can be a bit slow at times compared to my phone (s23 ultra) and when i'm doing anything other than that (esp anything needing me to enter lots of text) i tend to pick up my Chromebook. For my money if you're wanting to keep the budget low then a chromebook becomes a good option. I'm currently typing this on a Pixelbook that i bought 4 years ago for 600 and it's still lightning fast. You can get some good convertible Chromebooks which could be an option.

2p
    Last edited by Lazydonkey; Today at 09:10.

Even the cheapest iPad is in a different league.
    For general user experience I wholeheartedly agree.

But, the screen resolution on the iPad 10 is just poor for 2024, and iPad Air is not much better. I could even tolerate 64 GB at a push.

As Im using it for media consumption only, there are tablets with so much better screen resolution out there.

Ill probably hold my nose and pick the iPad, but if I could try out something like a Xioami Pad 6 or OnePlus Pad in advance then at least I could try them in comparison. But, all I can test drive is the iPad.

Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post
    But, the screen resolution on the iPad 10 is just poor for 2024, and iPad Air is not much better.
    I ran an Android tablet with a higher resolution and refresh rate than an iPad Air. Went back to an iPad Air. No comparison. YMMV.

PS: Some big discounts on the 2022 (5th gen) Air on Amazon last time I looked.
    Last edited by Seamaster73; Today at 13:09.

Master
    Wife has an iPad and I use it sometimes, but I greatly prefer my Samsung Android tablet. The graphics are a bit better, it's more ergonomic, a bit more responsive despite having been less expensive. I like the Google ecosphere. I don't think I'm missing out on anything. Would always prefer Android.

Time for an Android Tablet?

I ran an Android tablet with a higher resolution and refresh rate than an iPad Air. Went back to an iPad Air. No comparison. YMMV.
    Thanks for the information. Did you go back for the overall user experience, or because even an Android tablet which has a much better screen resolution, is still worse for viewing.

The biggest difficulty is trying them out for comparison.

It appears iPad Air has the same resolution as the 10, so cant see there is much point buying the Air, if all I am using it for browsing and media consumption.

I may be overthinking this, but that is what is blokes do, whether it is watches, luggage, torches or tablets.

Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post
    Thanks for the information. Did you go back for the overall user experience, or because even an Android tablet which has a much better screen resolution, is still worse for viewing.
    Overall user experience. A better resolution/refresh rate counts for little when the UI/UX is so lousy.

As above, I tried three of the things, so I gave Android a fair crack of the whip before coming to that conclusion.