closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches



TZ-UK Fundraiser
Results 1 to 44 of 44

Thread: Any recommendations for a Can Crusher for Recycling ?

  1. #1

    Any recommendations for a Can Crusher for Recycling ?

    200 or more Pepsi cans go in our recycle bin every month and I have used the cheap crushers in the past but find them a bit naff, does anyone know of a quality heavy duty one ? at a reasonable price ? thanks.

  2. #2
    Grand Master Onelasttime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Everywhere, yet nowhere...
    Posts
    14,202
    Approx. 6 cans a day - is that classed as an addiction?

    Use the Top Deck methodÖ


  3. #3
    Master reggie747's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    The Mersey Riviera
    Posts
    7,292
    Size 9 Doc Marten....?

  4. #4
    Grand Master Onelasttime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Everywhere, yet nowhere...
    Posts
    14,202
    Quote Originally Posted by reggie747 View Post
    Size 9 Doc Marten....?

  5. #5
    Grand Master Wallasey Runner's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Wirral - North West England
    Posts
    15,708
    200 cans a month, that is a serious amount of chemicals. Save some cash and switch to Corporation Pop.

  6. #6
    Do this while repeating 'why do I drink so much sugary water with chemicals'

  7. #7
    Master
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Kent
    Posts
    7,422
    Thatís a whole lot of fizz

  8. #8
    Grand Master Neil.C's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    SE England
    Posts
    27,275
    200 a month?? That doesn't sound very healthy.

    That said, around here we have large personal wheelie bins to recycle metal that would take 200 small cans.

    If you need to crush them for a smaller receptacle just take them out to a hard surface and stamp on them.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

  9. #9
    Master earlofsodbury's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Tether's End, Lincs
    Posts
    5,252
    Our recycling service asks us not to crush cans as it makes sorting more difficult when reprocessing.

  10. #10
    Grand Master hogthrob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Essex, UK
    Posts
    17,142
    Quote Originally Posted by earlofsodbury View Post
    Our recycling service asks us not to crush cans as it makes sorting more difficult when reprocessing.
    Don't they have big overhead magnets to pull out the steel items, like in Toy Story 3?
    Last edited by hogthrob; 10th July 2024 at 15:48.

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by hogthrob View Post
    Don't they have big overhead magbets to pull out the steel items, like in Toy Story 3?
    Doesnít work with aluminium Pepsi cans.

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by earlofsodbury View Post
    Our recycling service asks us not to crush cans as it makes sorting more difficult when reprocessing.
    That makes sense, I shall save my money and carry on as usual, thanks.

  13. #13
    Grand Master hogthrob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Essex, UK
    Posts
    17,142
    Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post
    Doesnít work with aluminium Pepsi cans.
    Yes, that's the idea, to separate ferrous from non-ferrous.

  14. #14
    Grand Master PickleB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    M25 J6 UK
    Posts
    18,490
    Quote Originally Posted by earlofsodbury View Post
    Our recycling service asks us not to crush cans as it makes sorting more difficult when reprocessing.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheTigerUK View Post
    That makes sense, I shall save my money and carry on as usual, thanks.
    Hinckley & Bosworth BC says...Ideally squash your tins/cans.

  15. #15
    Master
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    West Yorks
    Posts
    1,302
    Line them up and drive over them? We shoe them here.

  16. #16
    Grand Master oldoakknives's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    20,473
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post
    Doesnít work with aluminium Pepsi cans.
    That's the idea old chap. Magnet takes out the ferrous ones and leaves the aluminium ones behind.

    You're not thinking this through before chipping in are you?
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

  17. #17
    Grand Master Onelasttime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Everywhere, yet nowhere...
    Posts
    14,202
    Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    That's the idea old chap. Magnet takes out the ferrous ones and leaves the aluminium ones behind.

    You're not thinking this through before chipping in are you?
    The fact there was even a thread started about it is mind-blowing.

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    That's the idea old chap. Magnet takes out the ferrous ones and leaves the aluminium ones behind.

    You're not thinking this through before chipping in are you?
    I'll contribute to any old sh1te. Otherwise, I would have to concentrate on my day job.

    Next time, I should all threads properly no matter how flippant the content, so forgive me for not painstakingly combing this one through before responding.

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    The fact there was even a thread started about it is mind-blowing.
    I imagine for you just waking up in the morning for another day of trolling is mind blowing :)

  20. #20
    Grand Master Onelasttime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Everywhere, yet nowhere...
    Posts
    14,202
    Quote Originally Posted by TheTigerUK View Post
    I imagine for you just waking up in the morning for another day of trolling is mind blowing :)

  21. #21
    Grand Master JasonM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Cambridgeshire
    Posts
    16,216
    Apparently they are worth 75p a kilo if you can be bothered doing the maths.
    Cheers..
    Jase

  22. #22
    I once took some to the scrap yard,I had a Jewsonís 1 tonne bag full of cans ,not crushed ,
    £7 I got ,itís a good job I was passing.


    Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

  23. #23
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Essex
    Posts
    681
    A relative of my wife decided that he was going to pay for his holiday by recycling cans and spent a year collecting cans from his work (school caretaker) and storing them, when it came time to Cash in he had got his decimal points mixed up and ended up with 10% of what he was expecting and he had a warehouse full


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  24. #24
    Master
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Borrowash
    Posts
    6,655
    Blog Entries
    1
    SodaStream would be more cost effective.

  25. #25
    Grand Master Saint-Just's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Ashford, Kent
    Posts
    29,625
    Quote Originally Posted by thenikjones View Post
    SodaStream would be more cost effective.
    They are crooks. Took undue money from my bank card, then renegated on the contract we had. Never again.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

  26. #26
    I donít get the request for consumer advice on a Can crusher. Should I have owned and a few in my lifetime and be able to tell you the proís and conís of any particular model?

    Maybe Iím on the wrong forum. All I can add is that a size 12 Red Wing Moctoe gets 5 stars for can crushing ability, particularly when the cans are empty.

  27. #27
    Master
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    M62 corridor
    Posts
    4,791
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonM View Post
    Apparently they are worth 75p a kilo if you can be bothered doing the maths.
    I crushed (with a brick) and saved aluminium cans for a good long while a good few years ago. I took them to cash in. Got about £2, not sure it covered my petrol!!

  28. #28
    Quote Originally Posted by J3w3ll3r View Post
    A relative of my wife decided that he was going to pay for his holiday by recycling cans and spent a year collecting cans from his work (school caretaker) and storing them, when it came time to Cash in he had got his decimal points mixed up and ended up with 10% of what he was expecting and he had a warehouse full
    Corona and Coke bottles were a gift in the mid 60s for a bit of lollypop money.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  29. #29
    Grand Master oldoakknives's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    20,473
    Blog Entries
    1
    We had a Corona depot in an industrial estate near us when I was growing up. Some kids used to climb over the chain link fence and grab a few empties, to cash in at the local chippy for a bag of chips.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

  30. #30
    Master
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Cornwall
    Posts
    3,525
    This thread needs canning............... I've now got a bloody Suzie Quatro earworm because of it .

  31. #31
    200 cans a month? maybe switch to 2lts bottles , though i reckon you should be reading up on diabetes and spend the money on a defib unit instead :P

    *im presuming you dont run a public house

  32. #32
    Thanks for the boring suggestions and dietary advice I have decided to go for this electric model, the cans are mainly Pepsi Max sugar free and the fact I have five kids and ten grand kids helps towards the 200 ish plus my own consumption :)


  33. #33
    If you intake that much caffeine Iím surprised you need help!

  34. #34
    Master
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Petersfield, Hampshire
    Posts
    6,334
    What about an MX-5?

  35. #35
    Have you tried using your teeth? Oh. Wait. Never mind.
    "Bite my shiny metal ass."
    - Bender Bending RodrŪguez

  36. #36
    Grand Master PickleB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    M25 J6 UK
    Posts
    18,490
    Quote Originally Posted by TheTigerUK View Post
    Thanks for the boring suggestions and dietary advice I have decided to go for this electric model, the cans are mainly Pepsi Max sugar free and the fact I have five kids and ten grand kids helps towards the 200 ish plus my own consumption :)

    ...image...
    I found a YouTube video of that one. To my mind it's a tad slow...especially for 200 cans. If you have an airline / compressor (100 psi) there's pneumatic model that is pretty quick.

  37. #37
    Quote Originally Posted by PickleB View Post
    I found a YouTube video of that one. To my mind it's a tad slow...especially for 200 cans. If you have an airline / compressor (100 psi) there's pneumatic model that is pretty quick.
    Doubt he'll be doing 200 at once.

  38. #38

    Any recommendations for a Can Crusher for Recycling ?

    Quote Originally Posted by TheTigerUK View Post
    Despite the text, it looks like something to enlarge your penis. Where do you buy it (asking for a friend)

  39. #39
    Grand Master PickleB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    M25 J6 UK
    Posts
    18,490
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Doubt he'll be doing 200 at once.
    At once or in stages, 200 x 12 seconds is 40 minutes of someone's time.

  40. #40
    Quote Originally Posted by PickleB View Post
    At once or in stages, 200 x 12 seconds is 40 minutes of someone's time.
    It is, but if doing 6 will likely take just as long to get the thing out (and even longer with the compressor...) as to do the actual crushing.

    +Collectively in the thread we must have wasted >40 minutes between us all!
    Last edited by Kingstepper; 11th July 2024 at 22:25.

  41. #41
    Master
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Dorset
    Posts
    3,042
    I've got a cheap wall mounted one from Amazon I tend not to use it, as it's a bit of a faff.
    The mother in-laws house has a foot operated one and we all use that when we go around as it's easy to use and almost effortless in comparison, it also came from Amazon.

    Sent from my A065 using Tapatalk

  42. #42
    Master
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Manchester
    Posts
    7,786
    I drink far too many fizzies in fairness but when I started looking at the price per 100ml (I think it's mandatory now) on the supermarket price labels I was astonished at the difference between cans and bottles, big bottles are generally half the price and taste exactly the same. In fact in my opinion better, after the initial fizz of a new bottle has dissipated.

    As far as cans, I remember Blue Peter doing a big fundraising drive about recycling the cans and donating the money to some cause or other. There was a thing about washing and squashing the cans (a phrase which still gets uses in our house!) and it became a weekly chore for us kids, quick rinse out then outside on the pavement to stomp on the cans in a pair of my dads steel toe-capped work boots. Probably far too dangerous now, you'd need to fill out a dozen health and safety forms to get kids in a pair of steelies, but it still unlocked a fun memory

  43. #43
    Master
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Berkshire
    Posts
    9,771
    Quote Originally Posted by kevkojak View Post
    I drink far too many fizzies in fairness but when I started looking at the price per 100ml (I think it's mandatory now) on the supermarket price labels I was astonished at the difference between cans and bottles, big bottles are generally half the price and taste exactly the same. In fact in my opinion better, after the initial fizz of a new bottle has dissipated.

    As far as cans, I remember Blue Peter doing a big fundraising drive about recycling the cans and donating the money to some cause or other. There was a thing about washing and squashing the cans (a phrase which still gets uses in our house!) and it became a weekly chore for us kids, quick rinse out then outside on the pavement to stomp on the cans in a pair of my dads steel toe-capped work boots. Probably far too dangerous now, you'd need to fill out a dozen health and safety forms to get kids in a pair of steelies, but it still unlocked a fun memory
    We canít get on with the bottles, love the fizz from a fresh can too much. Bottle just canít deliver the same hit.

    Although glass bottles of Coke, now they are the memories of childhood holidays and when I see them on promotion I canít help but add them to the basket.

  44. #44
    Grand Master Griswold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Yorkshire, England
    Posts
    20,492
    Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    We canít get on with the bottles, love the fizz from a fresh can too much. Bottle just canít deliver the same hit.

    Although glass bottles of Coke, now they are the memories of childhood holidays and when I see them on promotion I canít help but add them to the basket.
    When I was a young boy I used to go to a caffe in Doncaster called Priestnalls. They had a huge long cabinet thing on the back wall with a slot at both ends and a leaver at the right hand end. You'd buy a bottle of Coke from the counter, push it in the slot at the right hand end and pull the leaver down. The bottle would disappear into the cabinet only to appear out of the left hand slot, ICE COLD.

    I used to think it was marvellous that it could be cooled so quickly, like magic to a small boy, until someone spoiled it by telling me how it worked.
    Best Regards - Peter

    I'd hate to be with you when you're on your own.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Do Not Sell My Personal Information