closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Turkey - eSIM

Master

Turkey - eSIM

My son ( 14 ) is going to Turkey for 2 weeks with his friend and Iíve just learnt Turkey isnít on the roaming list with his phone provider and itís charged at £1.50 per MB while heís there.

I obviously donít want him to rack up a 1K bill whilst heís away so Iíve looking at getting him a Turkish eSIM.

Anyone had an experience of using an eSIM while away and for data roaming ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Airalo.

Iíve used them in Asia, Africa, Europe.
    "Bite my shiny metal ass."
    - Bender Bending RodrŪguez

Not an eSim but bought a normal one out there widely available and inexpensive.

I would just buy a regular SIM, set his current number to divert all calls to the Turkish SIM and not switch the UK SIM on once left the UK.

If he uses Whatsapp it will work fine as it links the handset more than the number.

I did this, but used Vodafone as that has better roaming in Turkey than O2 had.

Look at the other e-SIM threads and good luck getting a Turkish e-SIM loaded onto a phone in the UK, although it might be no trouble in Turkey...

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Not an eSim but bought a normal one out there widely available and inexpensive.
    Forget roaming on his current sim/esim, Turkey is extortionate for overseas roaming.

Is KS says above, just pop in a Turkish sim, loads of places selling them and lots of ok deals which last up to a month.

Master
    Another +1 for Airalo. Dead easy to set up before you go and very cheap. Worked faultlessly for me when working in Africa recently.

Some providers have add-ons that can be more reasonably priced than eSIMs, so worth investigating.

If not, I also suggest Airalo. They're doing a discount for summer too WANDER15

Journeyman
    Bought 2 eSiMs from MobiMatter and used last month in Turkey with no problem:
    - Sparks Turkey Premium 7GB 30 days US$7.99
    - Sparks Europe USA 10+2GB Free 30 days US$11.99

You might want to look for a Turkish Mobile Virtual Network Operator (MVNO), and get an e-sim from them (equivalent of Lebara, GiffGaff, Tesco Mobile, etc., cheap(er) alternative piggybacking on the main networks)
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Master
    Currently in the US with an E Travel Sim which has worked well. Initially I struggled to get it to work properly. A couple of reboots of the iPhone sorted it through.

Data plan has worked very well. Only a couple of places where itís not been so good. Iíve not needed to make or receive any calls other than via WhatsApp

This looks good value for Turkey
    https://etravelsim.com/products/turk...43838884872373

Three PAYG allows Go Roam, which gives you free roaming in 160 countries including Turkey. I just used one in Brazil. £10 for the month and it worked fine.

https://www.three.co.uk/support/roam...abroad/go-roam

Sent from my SM-A536B using Tapatalk

Master
    Thereís a couple of shops in Dalaman airport you can get sims in when you get there, cheaper than roaming charges.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

We are going to Turkey again later in the year, we went in June and used O2 travel zone 2 bolt on at £6 a day.

I was womdering about an esim (maybe Airalo?) but we both have elderly parents with no internet so the only method of contacting them is to ring them,If I am understanding right this isnt supported on the esim so we would have to pay additional charges to O2?
    Is this right please? If so its no good really?

Quote Originally Posted by chaplad View Post
    We are going to Turkey again later in the year, we went in June and used O2 travel zone 2 bolt on at £6 a day.

I was womdering about an esim (maybe Airalo?) but we both have elderly parents with no internet so the only method of contacting them is to ring them,If I am understanding right this isnt supported on the esim so we would have to pay additional charges to O2?
    Is this right please? If so its no good really?
    Airalo is data only.

You could use voip if you have that.
    "Bite my shiny metal ass."
    - Bender Bending RodrŪguez

I used airalo last time I went to Turkey. Saves you faffing about with sim cards when you get there.

If you want to call home, use Skype.

Master
    Revolut do e Sims now aswell

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Drago View Post
    My son ( 14 ) is going to Turkey for 2 weeks with his friend and Iíve just learnt Turkey isnít on the roaming list with his phone provider and itís charged at £1.50 per MB while heís there.

I obviously donít want him to rack up a 1K bill whilst heís away so Iíve looking at getting him a Turkish eSIM.

Anyone had an experience of using an eSIM while away and for data roaming ?

I was in Turkey last month and used one from Maya Mobile. Itís data only but you can obviously use WhatsApp for calls with it. I added it before I went and then just turned it on when I got there. Iím going again in a couple of months and will definitely get another from them.

Craftsman
    My son has used Saily before, seems reasonably priced, he's never had problems.
    https://saily.com/esim-turkey/

Steve

Hello

Airalo, very good. And if you want a referral code please let me know.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by burnside View Post
    Airalo, very good. And if you want a referral code please let me know.
    Yes please. Also, do you know how I buy 4 x eSIM for my family? It looks like the app only allows one. Canít see where to enter a quantity!

Quote Originally Posted by Jubal View Post
    Yes please. Also, do you know how I buy 4 x eSIM for my family? It looks like the app only allows one. Canít see where to enter a quantity!
    Four phones = app download on each one.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    Four phones = app download on each one.
    Thanks. Also looks like I can buy one at a time and then install manually. Much better as itís a hassle with kids and ID etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Jubal View Post
    Thanks. Also looks like I can buy one at a time and then install manually. Much better as itís a hassle with kids and ID etc.
    You can install them and get them ready at home.
    Then, as soon as you land, you turn your data on and connect automatically. The clock is ticking from that point.

Make sure you follow the instructions to the letter when installing, though.

Hello

Thatís what I did.

I installed mine the day or two before I headed out. It activated once I disembarked the aircraft.