closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Other interesting stuff we own

Other interesting stuff we own

Thought it might be interesting to see what other curios/interesting items, other members own.
    I think if youíre into watches and collecting, then youíll almost certainly have other collectibles or interesting bits kicking about the house/shed/garage/mancave etc.
    To start off hereís a couple of bits that live with me in my lounge (joys of living alone)
    First up a very cool Russian divers helmet, I believe it dates from the 1970s 80s era, I was told at time of purchase that it was allegedly dredged up by a trawler in the Baltic Sea , although Iíd take that with a pinch of sea salt

Next up an unusual little collection of Zulu war era items, unfortunately none wouldíve been at the battles, but they all potentially were in Africa at the correct time.
    These comprise of a pair of Zulu hunting spears (I wouldnít want to be stuck anywhere on my body with one), a Belgian made Albini rifle, which were used in the Congo, and a British naval pith helmet, which were commonly stained with tea or mud ,to help dull down the bright white, and hopefully stop you catching something metal in the head.

Next up another recently acquired piece, a resin and marble dust relief of Alexander the Great. Didnít think Iíd actually like this, but having propped it up against the wall, I now quite like it being sat there.

Obviously no lounge or living area is complete without a BMX being sat there.
    This PK ripper with obligatory Skyway Tuff wheels, I restored a couple of years ago, purely as is often the case, because I didnít have one as a kid. I do keep thinking I should take it out for a ride around on a sunny day, but have learned that nostalgia is best left as memories to avoid disappointment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by thorpey69 View Post
    Thought it might be interesting to see what other curios/interesting items, other members own.
    I think if youíre into watches and collecting, then youíll almost certainly have other collectibles or interesting bits kicking about the house/shed/garage/mancave etc.
    To start off hereís a couple of bits that live with me in my lounge (joys of living alone)
    First up a very cool Russian divers helmet, I believe it dates from the 1970s 80s era, I was told at time of purchase that it was allegedly dredged up by a trawler in the Baltic Sea , although Iíd take that with a pinch of sea salt

Next up an unusual little collection of Zulu war era items, unfortunately none wouldíve been at the battles, but they all potentially were in Africa at the correct time.
    These comprise of a pair of Zulu hunting spears (I wouldnít want to be stuck anywhere on my body with one), a Belgian made Albini rifle, which were used in the Congo, and a British naval pith helmet, which were commonly stained with tea or mud ,to help dull down the bright white, and hopefully stop you catching something metal in the head.

Next up another recently acquired piece, a resin and marble dust relief of Alexander the Great. Didnít think Iíd actually like this, but having propped it up against the wall, I now quite like it being sat there.

Obviously no lounge or living area is complete without a BMX being sat there.
    This PK ripper with obligatory Skyway Tuff wheels, I restored a couple of years ago, purely as is often the case, because I didnít have one as a kid. I do keep thinking I should take it out for a ride around on a sunny day, but have learned that nostalgia is best left as memories to avoid disappointment.

What an interesting collection.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Teak root carving....it's a single piece of wood. The vision & workmanship blows my mind.

Last summer I found myself trawling through some online US estate sales, and something odd looking piqued my interest.

A bit of digging and I found it was a cut away display model of the gyroscopic guidance system from a Thor Ballistic missile, which were deployed in the UK in some of the peak Cold War years (1959-1963). The need wasnít great, but the want was !

I was lucky enough to win the lot, but unlucky that ITAR regulations prevented me from exporting it from the US to Europe. So I had to sell it on and never got to see it in person. Has to be the oddest and most interesting thing Iíve owned (albeit briefly).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Having spent a large proportion of my working life as a brewer of beer, when the last brewery I worked at closed I took home an early 20th century brewing thermometer and saccharometer as a reminder of those days.

Next is an Ascos (oil vessel) that Christies thinks is Etruscan and dates from anything between 600BC and 3,000BC. I have to take it to them in person for a more accurate inspection.

On the theme of ancient artifacts this is a small Egyptian Ushabti in the form of a funerary servant figure. These were buried with wealthy Egyptians to take care of them in the afterlife, this one dates anywhere from 500BC to 2,000BC.

Not quite so ancient is this human skull which probably dates from the mid Victorian era. It was originally (after death of course) a medical teaching aid acquired by my dad in the 1960's. We did have the frame it hung from and the rest of the skeleton in the 1960's, but when we moved back from Ireland to England the removal company lost the tea chest that contained them and we were left with only the skull. Most likely it would have been a convict that had been sentenced to death and executed as their bodies were the most likely to be handed over for medical research, but there's a slimmer chance it could have been the victim of a grave robber, we'll never know for sure.

Some great collections there Gents.

I love that sort of stuff. So interesting to have on display and better than the awful minimalist culture so many have bought into.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

I never knew that humans have coil springs for jaw closure! The stuff you learn on this forum hehe

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    I never knew that humans have coil springs for jaw closure! The stuff you learn on this forum hehe
    Once you're dead it's the best way to hold your jaw in place!

Some fabulous pieces being shown. Unlucky that the missile guidance system never made it to the Uk, the amount of work in that teak sculpture is mind blowing 🤯.
    would love to add some ancient civilisation items to my collection one day, itís hard to comprehend how old some of those items are that have survived.

Interesting is subjective of course, but for those of us who were kids when Pokťmon arrived these may be nostalgic.

Last edited by M1011; 9th July 2024 at 22:58.

I have an interesting article of clothing that I bought in the Port Moresby branch of Debenhams.

Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

My late grandfather's travelling optometry eye test set, which is complete and immaculate.

Quote Originally Posted by HookedSeven View Post

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    That is cooler than a polar bears gonads! I would love that.

Something I love (but the Mrs hates) is my Smiths marked artificial horizon from a Meteor complete with inspection tag from 1956.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    I have an interesting article of clothing that I bought in the Port Moresby branch of Debenhams.

Erm was it an off the peg item or fitted?

Master
    Enoying this thread! Keep 'em coming gents!

This is an old Japanese katana. I’ve been trying in vain for the last 3 years to find out more but every knowledgeable person I’ve shown it to has a different opinion.

The shape suggests it could be mid to late 14th century, it’s been shortened a lot which also maybe points that way, grooves of that shape are also only really found in very old blades, but the grain pattern in the steel is typical of 17th century onwards. Maybe it’s a 17th century copy of a 14th century blade, who knows.

Last edited by Groundrush; 10th July 2024 at 21:37.

Blog Entries
    My late grandfather's travelling optometry eye test set, which is complete and immaculate.

Now that's a fantastic piece of (family) history. Must be quite rare to see those complete.
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

Master
    Fascinating thread!

I have this... thing. Inherited from my Grandfather, who worked as a civil servant in various departments.

I have NO IDEA what it is, or what it does. It's 340mm tall, and each of the sticking out bits swings all the way round.

Any ideas welcome!!

Quote Originally Posted by Groundrush View Post
    This is an old Japanese katana. I’ve been trying in vain for the last 3 years to find out more every knowledgeable person I’ve shown it to has a different opinion.

The shape is typical of the mid to late 14th century, it’s been shortened a lot which also maybe points that way, grooves of that shape are also only really found in very old blades, but the grain pattern in the steel is typical of 17th century onwards. Maybe it’s a 17th century copy of a 14th century blade, who knows.
    Your blade should be signed (mei) on the nakago. I suppose you didnít show it on purpose as I donít believe anyone here could help you with it, at least directly.

A beautiful piece regardless.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    Your blade should be signed (mei) on the nakago. I suppose you didn’t show it on purpose as I don’t believe anyone here could help you with it, at least directly.

A beautiful piece regardless.
    Yes, that would have been nice. Unfortunately, if this one was signed at one time then it’s long since gone as the blade has been shortened (O suriage) and there is virtually none of the original nakago left. Shortening old koto tachis to make uchigatana was so common that unshortened tachis are extremely rare. A lot of swords lost their signatures due to this, while many were never signed in the first place. The Japanese also had a habit of making copies of blades made by famous old smiths (complete with fake signatures or fake shortening), and some of them were really good at it. This one appears to have been genuinely shortened from a much longer sword. Evaluating Japanese swords is a massive minefield, for every so-called rule there is an equally large range of exceptions.
    Last edited by Groundrush; 10th July 2024 at 15:16.

Quote Originally Posted by Daddelvirks View Post
    Ö Must be quite rare to see those complete.
    Even rarer if you needed the services of the original ownerÖ

I will get my coat.

Master
    I have this, destined for the landing outside my new front door, lights up.

These are my sentries

I rescued this from my Metal Recycler for peanuts, still works

I have the safe from Scunthorpe post office at the end of my sofa to keep my whisky in

The clocking in clock from liverpool street station

Underground layout map from Wistow.

Some other scales from railway parcel office.

Blog Entries
    Small but quite rare, three 18th century tin ice skaters (yes Iím Dutch). The Parker ink shop display pot is nice as well, after nagging my boss on my first real job in an old bookshop long enough he surprised me by giving it as a goodbye present.

Quote Originally Posted by apm101 View Post
    Fascinating thread!

I have this... thing. Inherited from my Grandfather, who worked as a civil servant in various departments.

I have NO IDEA what it is, or what it does. It's 340mm tall, and each of the sticking out bits swings all the way round.

Any ideas welcome!!
    I've seen one of those somewhere before, and I can't for the life of me remember where.

Master

Inherited from my Grandfather, who worked as a civil servant in various departments.

Any ideas welcome!!
    A means of measuring the amount of paperwork completed or generated in a day?

This thread needs dickbrowne

I've seen one of those somewhere before, and I can't for the life of me remember where.
    Likewise. Possibly on one of those auction programs like Bargain Hunt or Antique Road trip, we didnít have those in France so they were seen as a bit of novelty.

Yes, that would have been nice. Unfortunately, if this one was signed at one time then it’s long since gone as the blade has been shortened (O suriage) and there is virtually none of the original nakago left. Shortening old koto tachis to make uchigatana was so common that unshortened tachis are extremely rare. A lot of swords lost their signatures due to this, while many were never signed in the first place. The Japanese also had a habit of making copies of blades made by famous old smiths (complete with fake signatures or fake shortening), and some of them were really good at it. This one appears to have been genuinely shortened from a much longer sword. Evaluating Japanese swords is a massive minefield, for every so-called rule there is an equally large range of exceptions.
    Glad to see itís in good hands. ;)
    Yes, simei was common, either to pay their respects to the original or to deceive.

Master
    Fascinating thread!

Any ideas welcome!!

Take a photo against a white background then image search, or a google lens search

Quote Originally Posted by ViperStripes View Post
    Take a photo against a white background then image search, or a google lens search
    My interest is piqued also, would really like to know what this is, as I also think it looks familiar.

Quote Originally Posted by MCFastybloke View Post
    I have this, destined for the landing outside my new front door, lights up.

These are my sentries

I rescued this from my Metal Recycler for peanuts, still works

I have the safe from Scunthorpe post office at the end of my sofa to keep my whisky in

The clocking in clock from liverpool street station

Underground layout map from Wistow.

Some other scales from railway parcel office.

Your house is a museum!

Lovely stuff.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Small but quite rare, three 18th century tin ice skaters (yes Iím Dutch). The Parker ink shop display pot is nice as well, after nagging my boss on my first real job in an old bookshop long enough he surprised me by giving it as a goodbye present.

Love the skaters Rich and I still use Quink - in a smaller bottle!
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C View Post
    Love the skaters Rich and I still use Quink - in a smaller bottle!
    Neil C I have a suspicion that you may have some interesting stuff, are you holding out on us? 😁

Like your figures.

I like picking up play worn vintage toy figures. Some American Podfoots by Barclays and French Mignot.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyCasper View Post
    Like your figures.

I like picking up play worn vintage toy figures. Some American Podfoots by Barclays and French Mignot.

Also tin I guess? Nice, quite sought after by some people.
    I'm told they get valuable depending on the subject they represent. But for me it's more to have some nice stuff to look at between the books.

Also tin I guess? Nice, quite sought after by some people.
    I'm told they get valuable depending on the subject they represent. But for me it's more to have some nice stuff to look at between the books.
    When I said I like picking up figures, that was more in the past, probably picked these up 30 years or so ago. These days itís decluttering accumulated stuff.

I think the American ones are some kind of hollow cast zinc and French a heavier, solid lead and tin alloy. I have a couple of small boxes of flat tin soldiers from French and German makers.

Like you, they are just a bit of shelf decoration rather than a collection. I think they were collectable and had some value 20, 30, maybe 40 years ago. Unfortunately the gentlemen who were avid collectors are no longer with us. They can be pennies, a couple of quid, £5, £10 and up depending on condition etc. Britains was the big British brand: soldiers, zoo animals, farm animals. I donít think they exist anymore.

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app
    Last edited by BillyCasper; 11th July 2024 at 17:08.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    That is cooler than a polar bears gonads! I would love that.
    There was a lot of cool stuff in the estate sale. I figured out the owner from the address, and he was a colonel in the USAF, and worked in Operations Crossroads and Sandstone Ė the initial US nuclear testing programs in the Pacific where he remotely operated B-17 drones. There were many factory supplied models of aircraft, missiles, and rockets (which unfortunately all sold strongly), plus the guidance gyro which was hidden in a mixed lot and described as a model of a spark plug :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    Something I love (but the Mrs hates) is my Smiths marked artificial horizon from a Meteor complete with inspection tag from 1956.

Love it. Donít understand your Mrs at all !

Does this count?

I actually sold a lot of my old stuff fairly recently but I'll see if I can get some pics of what I have left.

For now I can show my electric guitars...

Fender Vintera Stratocaster in Burgundy Mist.

Fender Classic series '60's Strat in Cerulean blue.

1989 US Standard Strat I bought new and still have.

Gibson Les Paul Plus from 2004.

I had a Classic series '70's Fender Strat too but recently gave it to my Grandson so am feeling a bit bereft so if anyone has any nice Fenders or Gibsons they would like to swap for watches please let me know.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Blog Entries
    You are making a friend of mine who's sitting next to me in the train very jealous with those guitars, cool stuff.

You are making a friend of mine who's sitting next to me in the train very jealous with those guitars, cool stuff.
    Cheers Rich!
    Cheers,
    Neil.

My 'mancave' which contains quite mixed stuff. Medieval handwritings. JLC and Heuer timers. MG42 ammo and recoil booster. Piston and wheelnut from a Porsche 956. Sir Kenneth Grange weather station.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C View Post
    Gibson Les Paul Plus from 2004.

The guitar of my dreams. Never developed the skills as I didnít practice so sold my cheap Epiphone Studio LP. Keep telling myself if I bought the real deal I would learn.

Loved the look of it in my office but was just another thing to dust lol.

Master
    I have just aquired for collection this weekend an Aircraft warning light from emley moor mast. The metal one they dropped this year.

I like your book selection.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by chrisb View Post
    I like your book selection.
    Thanks.

Bit of an old school Sci-Fi collector, love the things they dreamt up in their stories, some really clever and sometimes funny stuff by the better writers.

Craftsman
    When I was at infants school back in the early 70s, my mum used to buy chocolate bars every Friday for my sister and I.

50 years later and I still have a lot of the wrappers, which I have dug out of a keepsakes tin in the loft this evening following a search inspired by this thread :-)

Looking at the two series of Wombles wrappers, inflation was rampant LOL. Price rise from 3p to 5p a bar in the blink of an eye ... at least it was the same size !

And on the backs :

Last edited by 459GMB; 12th July 2024 at 20:47.

This is an old Japanese katana. Iíve been trying in vain for the last 3 years to find out more but every knowledgeable person Iíve shown it to has a different opinion.

The shape suggests it could be mid to late 14th century, itís been shortened a lot which also maybe points that way, grooves of that shape are also only really found in very old blades, but the grain pattern in the steel is typical of 17th century onwards. Maybe itís a 17th century copy of a 14th century blade, who knows.

Based on what I've seen on Pawn Stars. Makers name is on the steel inside the handle. Remove the handle and see if any information is there

Quote Originally Posted by DONGinsler View Post
    Based on what I've seen on Pawn Stars. Makers name is on the steel inside the handle. Remove the handle and see if any information is there
    What handle ???

Master
    Wot, no 'andle?

Sent from my SM-A515F using Tapatalk