closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Pop Ups

Unhappy Pop Ups

Help please.
    After a recent Windows update I now get advertising pop ups on this forum.
    This has happened before and a solution was found however I cannot remember what the solution was.
    I know it was something to do with a setting/settings somewhere.
    If any body can help please do.
    Thanks for your time.

Master
    No setting, just use AdBlock. Works a treat.

I had to install an ad-blocker as the site became unusable otherwise.

I use u-Block Origin (others are available).

Has anyone a suggestion for an add blocker for an Android phone?
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

"You gotta know when to hold em and know when to fold em".

Method 2 for android at the following link always worked for me. It does tend to kill some shopping links from google though which can be awkward if actively looking to buy something. YMMV though

https://adguard-dns.io/en/public-dns.html

There is a method for setting a spoof DNS that fools the ads and blocks them that way but I can't remember how annoyingly
    Last edited by acg; 11th June 2024 at 12:58.

Master
    I use uBlock Origin, but am also trying out a Pi Hole at the moment. I don't recall ever seeing popups on the site if I'm honest, even prior to them. To suggest it was brought on by a Windows Update is pretty far fetched though.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by acg View Post
    Method 2 for android at the following link always worked for me. It does tend to kill some shopping links from google though which can be awkward if actively looking to buy something. YMMV though

There is a method for setting a spoof DNS that fools the ads and blocks them that way but I can't remember how annoyingly
    Works for me, thanks for the advice. pop-up videos that you have to wait 5 secs was driving me nuts.

Sent from my SM-A515F using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    Has anyone a suggestion for an add blocker for an Android phone?
    Install and use Brave browser

Quote Originally Posted by ctafield View Post
    I use uBlock Origin, but am also trying out a Pi Hole at the moment. I don't recall ever seeing popups on the site if I'm honest, even prior to them. To suggest it was brought on by a Windows Update is pretty far fetched though.
    The same thing happened a couple of years ago immediately after a Windows update.

Reinstalled latest Ad Muncher and the pop ups are still appearing however they seem to be only from something called "peacock" ????
    Last edited by johnboy24; 12th June 2024 at 19:46.

Grand Master
    I've had this a few times!,just seemed to go away without me doing anything!.

Tis rather annoying tho.

Thanks it's worked
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

"You gotta know when to hold em and know when to fold em".

Master
    Thinking of Pi Hole?

Journeyman
    I am using Pi-hole. It's blocking most of the ads on PC or phones, not on android TV YouTube, annoyingly. It has some drawbacks, though. For example it's blocking tracking links from websites like hotukdeals or quidco. Also it needs to be manually updated every few months.

Smile Update

Thanks for all the advice given.
    As already mentioned I re-installed latest Ad Muncher, which I think was how I got it sorted before, to no avail.
    A free version of UnHackMe came my way and since installing the pop ups have stopped.
    Whether it's due to the software or as already mentioned it just went away I've no idea.
    Anyway no pop ups at the moment.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Nealywheelie View Post
    Works for me, thanks for the advice. pop-up videos that you have to wait 5 secs was driving me nuts.

Sent from my SM-A515F using Tapatalk
    I don't understand what they think that they will achieve. I'm trying to read a thread about watches and an ad for crypto/gambling pops up. Am I expected to think "oh hang on, that looks like a good idea, I must spunk lots of cash on that"?
    Bell ends

Sent from my Nokia 1.4 using Tapatalk

I'm getting ads on chrome on my pc now despite having adblock installed.

Even blocking them individually leaves a frame that you can't click through, you have to scroll the content past the spot.

Brilliant.

Adblock is still working as I've just tried a Reach newspaper site and it was fine!
    Last edited by kace; 17th July 2024 at 12:03.

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by kace View Post

Even blocking them individually leaves a frame that you can't click through, you have to scroll the content past the spot.

Brilliant.

Adblock is still working as I've just tried a Reach newspaper site and it was fine!
    Have you had a recent Windows update?
    If so try restoring to a previous date.
    As I have already stated the last time this happened to me was after a Windows Update. The latest Windows update stopped me logging into my Solar array control app.
    I always create a restore point now before accepting any Windows updates.

I did update the other day but everything is fine besides here.

If adblock can keep the reach groups websites in order then the ads here must be really something.

I did update the other day but everything is fine besides here.

If adblock can keep the reach groups websites in order then the ads here must be really something.
    That last update, as far as I know, only affected the one app.
    Restoring back to pre update solved the problem for me.

Master

Brilliant.

I was using Chrome with Ad Block and I recently posted on the moan and rant thread about how I was suddenly getting ads on YT and Twitter. uBlock Origin was recommended and now no more ads so give that a go.

Thanks, that seems to have fixed things. Pages are slow to load but thankfully the page is no longer full of ads.