Thread: Amsterdam hotels July

Amsterdam hotels July

Hi all
    Me & the mrs are off to Amsterdam in a few weeks with some friends 3 nights
    Flights are booked with klm
    Just need to find a decent hotel near Dam square if possible
    Any recommendations for a nice hotel ?
    Thx
    Last edited by lenlec; 11th June 2024 at 09:49.

Blog Entries
    Go to a hotel with decent ratings on the internet. But every ‘star’ goes with a price raise.

After selecting a hotel, don’t use an internet platform to book a stay. Call them. All hotel staff speaks English. A direct call to the hotel desk will give you -by and large- a better deal.

When in Amsterdam: don’t fall for the ‘stroopwafel tourist trap’.
    Just walk into the AH grocery store and get a pack of 10 stroopwafels. Equal quality, 1/5 of the price.

We enjoyed a very pleasant stay here last year. Their Vermeer restaurant serves some of the best food I’ve ever experienced.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard. View Post
    We enjoyed a very pleasant stay here last year. Their Vermeer restaurant serves some of the best food I’ve ever experienced.
    Thx
    Just looked on their website.
    Hotel looks lovely. But £600 a night for the dates we want

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by thieuster View Post
    Go to a hotel with decent ratings on the internet. But every ‘star’ goes with a price raise.

After selecting a hotel, don’t use an internet platform to book a stay. Call them. All hotel staff speaks English. A direct call to the hotel desk will give you -by and large- a better deal.

When in Amsterdam: don’t fall for the ‘stroopwafel tourist trap’.
    Just walk into the AH grocery store and get a pack of 10 stroopwafels. Equal quality, 1/5 of the price.
    Thank you

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by lenlec View Post
    Thx
    Just looked on their website.
    Hotel looks lovely. But £600 a night for the dates we want
    Amsterdam in July is ultra-expensive. You could consider a stay in Haarlem. Only 15mins by train from Amsterdam. Haarlem is basically a nicer town than Amsterdam. And, you can rent bikes for a trip to the beach and have lunch or dinner @ a beach club. Another suggestion is a stay @ Jan Tabak in Bussum, 20 mins by car, to the SE. Bussum is situated in the 'poshest' part of the Netherlands: Het Gooi. From there, can take the car to Amsterdam or go by train. The good thing about July: it's summer holiday time and that = less traffic.

After all, the Netherlands is small. A good hotel outside Amsterdam is easily found and within reasonable distance to the city. I live 65- 70 mins away from Amsterdam (and 35 mins from the German border to give you an idea).
    Last edited by thieuster; 11th June 2024 at 10:30.

Amsterdam in July is ultra-expensive. You could consider a stay in Haarlem. Only 15mins by train from Amsterdam. Haarlem is basically a nicer town than Amsterdam. And, you can rent bikes for a trip to the beach and have lunch or dinner @ a beach club. Another suggestion is a stay @ Jan Tabak in Bussum, 20 mins by car, to the SE. Bussum is situated in the 'poshest' part of the Netherlands: Het Gooi. You can take the car to Amsterdam or go by train.

Do you mind telling what the purpose of your Amsterdam trip is?
    It’s a good friends 60th so a bunch of us are going to relax / eat / drink

Or go outside the Centre, at RAI there is a Van de Valk, still brand new so not too busy and only a quick tram/Metro ride from the Centre.

Amsterdam in July is ultra-expensive. You could consider a stay in Haarlem. Only 15mins by train from Amsterdam. Haarlem is basically a nicer town than Amsterdam. And, you can rent bikes for a trip to the beach and have lunch or dinner @ a beach club. Another suggestion is a stay @ Jan Tabak in Bussum, 20 mins by car, to the SE. Bussum is situated in the 'poshest' part of the Netherlands: Het Gooi. From there, can take the car to Amsterdam or go by train. The good thing about July: it's summer holiday time and that = less traffic.

After all, the Netherlands is small. A good hotel outside Amsterdam is easily found and within reasonable distance to the city. I live 65- 70 mins away from Amsterdam (and 35 mins from the German border to give you an idea).
    Nice to have it in writing!! Haarlem is definitely a nicer City than Amsterdam.

OK, I’m biased as we live there , but what’s not to love , direct express bus from the airport 24/7 and only 16 minutes on a fast train to Amsterdam Centraal. And with wonderful beaches a 20 minute bike ride ( or 10 minutes by train) to enjoy if we ever get a warm sunny day again this year

Quote Originally Posted by robcuk View Post
    Nice to have it in writing!! Haarlem is definitely a nicer City than Amsterdam.

OK, I’m biased as we live there , but what’s not to love , direct express bus from the airport 24/7 and only 16 minutes on a fast train to Amsterdam Centraal. And with wonderful beaches a 20 minute bike ride ( or 10 minutes by train) to enjoy if we ever get a warm sunny day again this year
    Haarlem is very nice, I spend at least one night a month there with work.
    I keep threatening to take the Mrs one day!
    I prefer to stay in the Hotel Staats, I would recommend it.
    Last edited by Sinnlover; 11th June 2024 at 13:32.

Master
    Stayed at Swisshotel right in Damm Square- walking distance or tram for everything. Recommend Rijks for a meal to remember- sat at counter watching them cook. Also impressed with Heineken mueseum.

Blog Entries
    Between the Rijks and Van Gogh Museum: a coffee vendor with the best coffee in town. Simply in a cardboard cup.

Fun: The Rijks has a cycling path und the building. Mind your step: those cyclist don’t take prisoners… When walking away from the Rijks to the Park, you see the ‘Moco’. A new museum. Then the Van Gogh and then the Stedelijk (= Amsterdam City Museum). All have a wonderful collection.

The Stedelijk is on a corner. Cross the street toewards a restaurant with red painting called Small Talk @ Van Baerlestraat. The prices are very reasonable. Don’t expect a Michelin Star, but if you manage to stsy in business for 30 or so years, you’re doing something right.

The museums all have a Paulus Potterstreet address. The street parallel to the PP’street is the Pieter Cornelis Hooftstreet. Short: ‘The P.C.’ Netherlands’ most-expensive street for shopping.

When visiting Amsterdam’s highlights: book your tickets in advance and pick a ‘slot’. Otherwise you’ll be in an endless queue.

When visiting the Museums: try to do a tour with a guide (English).

(Back in my teaching days: we always went to Amsterdam with the oldest pupils. One day. As a 'test' how they would behave during a 3-day trip to the UK or France later in the year. That day was always great. First stop: Ajax Amsterdam Arena. Second stop: Van Gogh Museum and we always ended our tour in a fast food joint somewhere close to weed-selling shops. Just to see what would happen... We did this for 10, 12 years with 30 -35 pupils with behavioural problems. Only 1 sneaked out for a joint at the Bulldog.

Near the Hard Rock Café is a fake-Roman temple / shopping center entrance. And it has a motto: 'Homo Sapiens Non Urinat In Ventum'. The kids never believed me when I translated that motto...)
    Last edited by thieuster; 11th June 2024 at 17:58.

I was going to suggest Hotel Bazar, on the basis of having eaten in the Rotterdam one on two occasions - but see the hotel part is closed for renoirvations just now.

https://www.hotelbazar.nl/en/restaur...msterdam/home/

Still recommend it for a meal.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    I was going to suggest Hotel Bazar, on the basis of having eaten in the Rotterdam one on two occasions - but see the hotel part is closed for renoirvations just now.

https://www.hotelbazar.nl/en/restaur...msterdam/home/

Still recommend it for a meal.
    Also a good spot to go to when you don't what the normal hotel breakfast buffet. The 'Extra Bazar' on the breakfast menu is really good (well, in Rotterdam it is).