closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Omega won’t give warranty on service of vintage

Omega won’t give warranty on service of vintage

Anyone had this before?

I have sent a watch to Omega for servicing, but as it is an old Tritium dial, they have said it needs to have a new one fitted.

The dial is lovely, aging perfectly, so I asked them not to touch dial or handset.

They have said they can service it, but will offer no warranty on their works if they don’t swap the dial.
    They state that there would be a risk of dial oxidisation, and this flaking into movement, if they do not replace it - although no evidence of oxidisation at present.

Seems a bit wank.
    I have messaged STS and Genesis for price and comment in the mean time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Doesn't surprise me.

Omega are not going to warranty a watch that has been partially serviced according to their rules.

Definitely approach an independent IMO.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

I had exactly the same with my Rolex 16753.

Either had to accept that Rolex would replace the hands and dial at service (both of which were fine to my eyes, plus the service dial would not have been the original "nipple" one either) or have no guarantee.

Was explained that as they have to remove the dial and hands to service the watch, there was a likelihood that some of the old lume would fall off. So they'd replace the dial and hands. And I needed to agree to this prior to the service.

This was to me direct, in-person, at the Rolex main service centre. I could have tried an independent, and take it on trust that they would use genuine parts.

Decided to sell it.

I think that's fair enough really. They'll warranty it if you let them fully service it to spec, they won't warranty it if you want to keep some original parts that potentially risk polluting the movement. Seems a reasonable place to draw the warranty line.

If they returned (intact!) the parts replaced it would be an acceptable compromise. But...
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

I sort of get their stance, but just expected a bit more sympathy toward a venerable old piece.

I’ll see what the indies say

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    If they returned (intact!) the parts replaced it would be an acceptable compromise. But...
    Now, from previous Omega servicing experience, they send every single cog, screw and old gasket back to you that they replace. Quite impressive.

But in the case of Trit dial or hands, they will not send any of these back!

Quote Originally Posted by notenoughwrists View Post
    Now, from previous Omega servicing experience, they send every single cog, screw and old gasket back to you that they replace. Quite impressive.

But in the case of Trit dial or hands, they will not send any of these back!

And I can understand that as it would probably contravene radioactive materials transport rules. Ideally you would want them to store them securely for you.

You may say, I’m a dreamer.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    And I can understand that as it would probably contravene radioactive materials transport rules. Ideally you would want them to store them securely for you.

You may say, I’m a dreamer.
    The watch is transported w/o issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Indeed. And a radioactive dial would probably never be an issue for an independent watchmaker; but things maybe different from a global manufacturer.

Grand Master
    Unless the dial or hands are genuinely unstable, with flaking paint or lume, replacing is totally unnecessary. OP hasn't told us any details, such as the age of the watch and whether it has actually been inspected by Omega SC so its a bit premature to jump to conclusions.

There are ways to stabilise flaking lume or paint, but this is something OmegaSC are unlikely to do, their policy of replacement will prevail.

Definitely makes sense for the OP to look at other alternatives!

Omega won’t give warranty on service of vintage

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Unless the dial or hands are genuinely unstable, with flaking paint or lume, replacing is totally unnecessary. OP hasn't told us any details, such as the age of the watch and whether it has actually been inspected by Omega SC so its a bit premature to jump to conclusions.

There are ways to stabilise flaking lume or paint, but this is something OmegaSC are unlikely to do, their policy of replacement will prevail.

Definitely makes sense for the OP to look at other alternatives!
    Hi Paul - neither look unstable. In fact look really good (to the naked eye).
    It is from 1984, and has been inspected by Omega.

Also spoke to Duncan at Genesis and he said he’ would have no issue working on it, could stabilise things if needed but from photos he said it also looked fine.
    I have asked Omega to return it to me, and will send over to him at end of the month.

Should have gone indie from the start!

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    With the dial sealed inside its case and crystal.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by notenoughwrists View Post
    Hi Paul - neither look unstable. In fact look really good (to the naked eye).
    It is from 1984, and has been inspected by Omega.

Also spoke to Duncan at Genesis and he said he’ would have no issue working on it, could stabilise things if needed but from photos he said it also looked fine.
    I have asked Omega to return it to me, and will send over to him at end of the month.

Should have gone indie from the start!

Could've asked me to sort it out, I still take a limited amount of work on but I' m finding other pastimes more enjoyable thesedays.

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Could've asked me to sort it out, I still take a limited amount of work on but I' m finding other pastimes more enjoyable thesedays.
    Apologies Paul - I know you have helped me on other watches, but I guessed it might be a PITA for you, with how shitty the Swatch group have got with letting independents access to parts etc.

My bad. I should have given you a shout. Assumption being the mother of all f-ups, as the quote goes.