closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tour de France 2024

Blog Entries
    A nice urban legend I heard on a podcast this morning: the 4 (or 5) categories of the mountains. The story goes that they used a Citroen Deux Chevaux for it. When it could drive up the mountain road in 4th gear, it was categorized as a 4th Category mountain. Up to the first category. When a Deux Chevaux ultimately stalled, it was an Hors Category mountain road.

Others said that it was not a Citroen but a Hotchkiss driven by Henri Desgranges.

(Nice website btw):

https://www.cafeducycliste.com/en_ro...king-a-2cv-hc/

Quote Originally Posted by thieuster View Post
    A nice urban legend I heard on a podcast this morning: the 4 (or 5) categories of the mountains. The story goes that they used a Citroen Deux Chevaux for it. When it could drive up the mountain road in 4th gear, it was categorized as a 4th Category mountain. Up to the first category. When a Deux Chevaux ultimately stalled, it was an Hors Category mountain road.

Others said that it was not a Citroen but a Hotchkiss driven by Henri Desgranges.

(Nice website btw):

https://www.cafeducycliste.com/en_ro...king-a-2cv-hc/
    There is a hill on the coastal road between Deauville and Honfleur in Normandy where I had to unload my passengers. I even had to do a bit in reverse as I was killing the clutch in first gear (said passengers were unhappy enough to have to walk up the hill they didn't consider pushing
    This to say that whilst I heard the story before, I would vote for urban legend. Do you know at what time the mountains were categorised?
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    There is a hill on the coastal road between Deauville and Honfleur in Normandy where I had to unload my passengers. I even had to do a bit in reverse as I was killing the clutch in first gear (said passengers were unhappy enough to have to walk up the hill they didn't consider pushing
    This to say that whilst I heard the story before, I would vote for urban legend. Do you know at what time the mountains were categorised?
    I searched for that this morning but I couldn't find it. I only found on a Flemish website that 'evil tongues' tell that the TdF chefs are not very consistent when it comes to categorizing the hills: a 3rd cat. can become a 2nd cat. the next year, simply because the road to the start of the climb is different. I have no proof or examples of that being done. Same sources tell that it has to do with the 'value' of the Malliot a Pois during that TdF.

EDIT: oh wait! 1933.

Interesting website. Even this website writes that the categorization of the mountains is still 'subjective'. Use translate for the details.

https://climbfinder.com/nl/hors-categorie
    Last edited by thieuster; 8th July 2024 at 13:22.

I searched for that this morning but I couldn't find it. I only found on a Flemish website that 'evil tongues' tell that the TdF chefs are not very consistent when it comes to categorizing the hills: a 3rd cat. can become a 2nd cat. the next year, simply because the road to the start of the climb is different. I have no proof or examples of that being done. Same sources tell that it has to do with the 'value' of the Malliot a Pois during that TdF.
    I know that there are cols which are 2nd or 3rd (or 1st) depending on the direction they are taken. Maybe this is what your evil tongues saw without noticing the riders were going in 2 different ways
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

See this link for:

...For climbs that aren’t as clear-cut as these towering peaks, Gouvenou and his team take a host of other details into account. One factor that helps them decide is the ascent’s placement within a stage. “The closer the climb is to the finish line, the greater the chance it will be bumped up a category,” says Gouvenou. “This doesn’t tend to happen with the big climbs, though. It’s mostly for the lesser-known ones.”

History plays a part, too. In fact, for Gouvenou, this is where the “subjective side” of climb classification really comes into play. “Climbs where there have been great battles, big cycling moments. That helps us to rank them.”...

Blog Entries
    Normally I would say: “…where’s the consistency?”
    But knowing where it’s from, I tend to say:
    “Well, yes that’s how it is in the TdF!”

Quote Originally Posted by PickleB View Post
    Best remaining chances for Astana/Cav are stages 10 and 16 then?

It would be good to see his team's effort rewarded with another stage win.
    Stage 10 today and the from 1 km to 500 m to go there are 3 major bends...then there is a 500 m straight to the finish line. Anything could happen?

Today could be very exciting. Numerous tough climbs.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    Today could be very exciting. Numerous tough climbs.

Correct, one of the most metres climbed in the 2024 tour 4,350 m in total. Has breakaway written all over it, then on Saturday we are in the mountains ;) ;)

Quote Originally Posted by higham5 View Post
    Correct, one of the most metres climbed in the 2024 tour 4,350 m in total. Has breakaway written all over it, then on Saturday we are in the mountains ;) ;)
    Bonus seconds in 2 km and the fight is on. Then on to another climb and the finish. So yes, an exciting stage...with more to come.

Well, today was epic.
    It's anyone's guess what's going to happen when they get to the mountains. This race is a long way from being decided.

Stage 12...a crash with 12 km to go and relegations from the sprint finish. Then I found this article: Technically, Cavendish is still tied with Merckx.

Quote Originally Posted by PickleB View Post
    Stage 12...a crash with 12 km to go and relegations from the sprint finish. Then I found this article: Technically, Cavendish is still tied with Merckx.
    Thanks. But not really ;)

I've only just got over Lewis Hamilton being denied an eighth title by officialdom........and now this..........I am erasing it from memory right now!

Stage 13 and more shenanigans inside the last 1 km. Will Maxim Van Gils be picking up a penalty? Who can predict what the race jury will decide?

Edit: It seems not. What I saw as a deliberate drop of the shoulder and an alteration into another rider causing him to crash was, according to the commentators, entirely usual and simply a brush of his shoulder. I'll wind my neck in and keep quiet..for as long as I can.
    Last edited by PickleB; 12th July 2024 at 18:31.

Blog Entries
    Pidcock out: possible Corona.

Amazing rides by Pog these past two days. Hopefully, that's the yellow sealed.
    Vingegaard is not at his ultimate best oc but has ridden well and valiantly, however Pog is on another level this year too.

Blog Entries
    G. Thomas (250 stages in the TdF in his career) and W. van Art agree (this is his 6th TdF) agree on the fact that this is the most difficult TdF they've ever done.

Master
    Thomas is comparing what he has done to now. It's faster for a start and guys like him are not at the level of the big 2. No one is. WvA is below par so what was ok when he is on form is hard when he isn't. It's always been hard but the level has gone up so much. Armstrong had the record for Plat A'det 20 yrs ago and this week something the first 10 on the stage broke that record

Blog Entries
    I'd never heard about Zipf's law:

https://www.bbc.com/future/article/2...france-winners

Master
    Fascinating, thank you.