Page 5 of 26 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: The Euros 2024 Thread

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    France giving a similar performance to England
    Think the refs got a tenner on them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries
    Liked that. Plenty of gusto from Austria. France with some embarrassing diving.

Austria were better and France worse than I expected. Mbappe could be out with that broken nose depending on the severity and impact on his breathing.

That Austria chance - how on earth is that not a corner

Belgium, KDB, Doku and all lost.....

Sent from my M2101K6G using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Hood View Post
    They did try the foreign super coach with Sven and Capello before.
    Golden generation.
    Not overly successful.
    Southgate has had more success.
    FFS, it's the G&D. You have just quoted the profanity from WK in your response.

Football causes nothing but problems.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    FFS, it's the G&D. You have just quoted the profanity from WK in your response.

Football causes nothing but problems.
    There you go.
    Fixed.

Kylian Mbappé suffers broken nose and is doubt for game against Netherlands

This is really bad news. One of the pleasures of championships is the chance to see the great players on the big stage. If he's out I hope it's only for one match.

Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post
    You can blame individuals all you want, but on paper England have the strongest team in the tournament.

The passion, the desire, the everything to not just win, but annihilate the opposition wasn't there. This is playing for your country in the second biggest competition in the world, not a mid table premier games. Have some effing passion.

All starts at the top. Southgate cannot motivate. He is a wet blanket. Never seen the guy personally show any passion or drive and he can't instill that in his players. His after-game interview was an embarrassment. I feel like grabbing the guy and shaking him out of his mediocrity.

Southgate is the problem. Full stop.
    Who was the problem between 1970 and 2016 then?

Quote Originally Posted by BillyCasper View Post
    Perhaps more if he looked to Alf Ramsey, disregard status, don’t pick the best players and try and make them fit, pick the best player available for a given position.

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app
    Alf Ramsey was sacked.for failing to qualify for the 1974 world cup.

Master
    Think I’m gonna have to stop tuning in to matches early now. The punditary is already ridiculous and we’re only on the first round of matches.
    Switched on ITV to watch France / Austria game and had to sit through half an hour of chat about England, analysing a game from two days ago, how worried are we, how can we be better, what changes will Southgate make, blah blah… Zero relevance to the match I’ve tuned in for.
    Just as they move off that topic and start talking about the upcoming game, it’s time for a break… so let’s link it back to England before the break and let everyone know that the stadium tonight’s game is played at is where England lost 3-1 to Netherlands years ago.. cue VT please.
    I mean, come on.. have a day off.

Yeah, I’m a Scot… but the wife is a proud Yorkshire lass and even she has had her fill of it. When it got to half time and they started showing some clips of the first half her comment was “why are they showing first half stuff? Surely we should be seeing some more clips of the England game?”

It’s not like I’m wanting them to talk about Scotland every time I tune in to a match (it’s hard enough having to watch Scotland matches on their scheduled program without more drivel).
    Surely keeping to topic can’t be that hard? If there’s some sort of update for a home nations team, sure, give it a 5 min segment and move on.

Grumpy Andy.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gorrie View Post
    Think I’m gonna have to stop tuning in to matches early now. The punditary is already ridiculous and we’re only on the first round of matches.
    Switched on ITV to watch France / Austria game and had to sit through half an hour of chat about England, analysing a game from two days ago, how worried are we, how can we be better, what changes will Southgate make, blah blah… Zero relevance to the match I’ve tuned in for.
    Just as they move off that topic and start talking about the upcoming game, it’s time for a break… so let’s link it back to England before the break and let everyone know that the stadium tonight’s game is played at is where England lost 3-1 to Netherlands years ago.. cue VT please.

Yeah, I’m a Scot… but the wife is a proud Yorkshire lass and even she has had her fill of it. When it got to half time and they started showing some clips of the first half her comment was “why are they showing first half stuff? Surely we should be seeing some more clips of the England game?”

It’s not like I’m wanting them to talk about Scotland every time I tune in to a match (it’s hard enough having to watch Scotland matches on their scheduled program without more drivel).
    Surely keeping to topic can’t be that hard? If there’s some sort of update for a home nations team, sure, give it a 5 min segment and move on.

Grumpy Andy.
    Great solution turn of the sound before during and after match it has worked for me.
    Question is anybody else finding the whole thing somehow “ flat”
    I FEEL LIKE I'M DIAGONALLY PARKED IN A PARALLEL UNIVERSE

Even as an England fan I’m sick of it too. It’s become as annoying as mentioning 1966 every time England play and having to see SAF in the stands at every Man Utd game.

Grumpy Andy.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mart broad View Post
    Great solution turn of the sound before during and after match it has worked for me.
    Question is anybody else finding the whole thing somehow “ flat”
    I’d prefer they got some pundits in for the pre-match stuff that are able to stick to topic and give some valuable insight to the upcoming match for the people tuning in… not three amigos desperately trying to outsmart each other about how they’d run the England squad.
    That would be the proper solution.
    It’s not like these people aren’t being paid handsomely to do it.
    Have a separate ‘fanzine’ program for all the drivel.. and keep the pre-match build up for the upcoming match.
    I know, what on earth am I thinking eh.

Add to that what age Jude Bellingham is. Ffs we heard it the first 6 times. Commentary is woeful

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RustyBin5 View Post
    Add to that what age Jude Bellingham is. Ffs we heard it the first 6 times. Commentary is woeful
    My late father used to watch football and rugby with the sound off........now I know why! Australian Rugby League commentators are the worst, believe me!

As for Bellingham, his ability and the maturity he displays in his play makes his relative youth a significant point, but a point that shouldn't be repeated ad nauseum!

I`m no football expert but I thought England's overall display against Serbia was mediocre, first 20 mins was good but the second half in particular was poor. A win's a win, but it certainly didn`t impress!

Master
    I’d prefer they got some pundits in for the pre-match stuff that are able to stick to topic and give some valuable insight to the upcoming match for the people tuning in… not three amigos desperately trying to outsmart each other about how they’d run the England squad.
    That would be the proper solution.
    It’s not like these people aren’t being paid handsomely to do it.
    Have a separate ‘fanzine’ program for all the drivel.. and keep the pre-match build up for the upcoming match.
    I know, what on earth am I thinking eh.
    Fair’s fair they’re English ex footballers. I don’t think any of them are high up on the Mensa scale. And somewhere someone convinced them that they are amusing. Which imo they are not. They probably don’t have enough knowledge of any of the other countries squads to discuss anything in depth so stick to what they know.

I did really enjoy MOTD when Lineker was suspended for his comments. Whilst Shearer and Richards downed tools in sympathy - so much better without them being involved.

For the Euros I turn on just before kick off, have a comfort break at halftime and turn it off at full time thus avoiding the three clowns.

Quote Originally Posted by NigeG View Post
    Fair’s fair they’re English ex footballers. I don’t think any of them are high up on the Mensa scale. And somewhere someone convinced them that they are amusing. Which imo they are not. They probably don’t have enough knowledge of any of the other countries squads to discuss anything in depth so stick to what they know.

I did really enjoy MOTD when Lineker was suspended for his comments. Whilst Shearer and Richards downed tools in sympathy - so much better without them being involved.

For the Euros I turn on just before kick off, have a comfort break at halftime and turn it off at full time thus avoiding the three clowns.

I just set record on my Tivo box when the game kicks off and switch on 15 minutes after KO, that way I can zoom through all the punditry and only watch the match.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by hogthrob View Post
    Kylian Mbappé suffers broken nose and is doubt for game against Netherlands

This is really bad news. One of the pleasures of championships is the chance to see the great players on the big stage. If he's out I hope it's only for one match.
    Dutch news media are on the fence: on one hand, it's a relief not to see Mbappé on the field on Friday. On the other hand, a lot (including me) would love an Mbappé vs VVD battle. Word has it that he will play with a protective mask. I ask myself how he will get over the anxiety of another hit. I would be extra careful!

BTW, did you catch Mbappé's English? Are you sure he's not coming to the UK? https://x.com/HLTCO/status/1800965427201200369

Lets see what Portugal can produce, I reckon they are in with a shout, best squad in the Country's history apparently!!

I think they have the best squad in the tournament which is why I backed them.

Quote Originally Posted by wildheart View Post
    Lets see what Portugal can produce, I reckon they are in with a shout, best squad in the Country's history apparently!!
    - - - Updated - - -

Yes his English with a pretty good American accent was a surprise!!

Quote Originally Posted by thieuster View Post
    Dutch news media are on the fence: on one hand, it's a relief not to see Mbappé on the field on Friday. On the other hand, a lot (including me) would love an Mbappé vs VVD battle. Word has it that he will play with a protective mask. I ask myself how he will get over the anxiety of another hit. I would be extra careful!

BTW, did you catch Mbappé's English? Are you sure he's not coming to the UK? https://x.com/HLTCO/status/1800965427201200369

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wildheart View Post
    well that shows how good subs can make a difference; Portugal do have some firepower on the bench an it came good last night. I thought the manager had done a classic GS though, and left it too late

I’m not a fan of Martinez. He’s one of those managers who keeps failing upwards. He wasted the best group of players Belgium has ever produced so it’ll be interesting to see what he does with Portugal’s best squad in 30 years.

Quote Originally Posted by westberks View Post
    well that shows how good subs can make a difference; Portugal do have some firepower on the bench an it came good last night. I thought the manager had done a classic GS though, and left it too late

Quote Originally Posted by westberks View Post
    I thought the Czechs were great but they simply ran out of energy last 8 mins. Portugal would have scored another two or three if the game had gone on for another ten mins.

Surely that was a foul by Gundogan for the opening goal?

Master
    Blog Entries
    Surely that was a foul by Gundogan for the opening goal?
    Host country has it advantages Ryan in decisions.

Jim

Blog Entries
    I apologize for my countryman/referee. On the other hand, I should have warned you. This man is not famous for his 'consistent' way of leading a game...

What a finish, it doesn't get better than that. Scotland sh*ting their pants now, no composure under pressure at all.

Great finish, bad error but Scotland just need to keep composure, they'll get more chances. Tierney has been appalling but in midfield they can more than match the Swiss.

Edit great save from Gunn that.

I reckon Rodriguez may end up getting a red in this game. I'd be taking him on every time

Scotland doing OK but for goodness sakes get Grant Hanley off the pitch he looks like a Championship level player not an international tournament player. Surely Scotland have someone better than him?

Oh dear poor Tierney that lad just can't catch a break with injuries.

He isn’t their worst player, he’s better than the calamity that is Hendry. McTominay, McGinn and Robertson are so much better than everyone else. How does Che Adams get a game? Utter pony. Scotland comfortably the worst team at the tournament.

Scotland doing OK but for goodness sakes get Grant Hanley off the pitch he looks like a Championship level player not an international tournament player. Surely Scotland have someone better than him?
    Last edited by TaketheCannoli; 19th June 2024 at 21:25.

Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    He isn’t their worst player. McTominay, McGinn and Robertson are so much better than everyone else. How does Che Adams get a game? Utter pony. Scotland comfortably the worst team at the tournament.
    You clearly missed the England game!

Scotland doing OK tonight, they may nick this. I don't think they are the worst team, they were just crap against Germany albeit down to 10 men. Gilmour looks an excellent player as well as the names you mentioned plus the keeper has done well.

Edit Christ how has he missed that?!!? Hanley!!!!

Albania, Hungary, Georgia, Slovenia and Slovakia have all been better than Scotland. Gilmore has been going to be a good player for a few years but never makes the step up. I’d have McTominay at Newcastle.

You clearly missed the England game!

Scotland doing OK tonight, they may nick this. I don't think they are the worst team, they were just crap against Germany albeit down to 10 men. Gilmour looks an excellent player as well as the names you mentioned plus the keeper has done well.

Edit Christ how has he missed that?!!? Hanley!!!!

Albania, Hungary, Georgia, Slovenia and Slovakia have all been better than Scotland. Gilmore has been going to be a good player for a few years but never makes the step up. I’d have McTominay at Newcastle.
    I think Scotland have done well tonight against a good Swiss side and I'd not begrudge them if they nicked the points. Certainly showing 10x more energy than England did against Serbia.

I think Scotland have done well tonight against a good Swiss side and I'd not begrudge them if they nicked the points. Certainly showing 10x more energy than England did against Serbia.
    It’s certainly more entertaining than watching England play.

They’re actually trying to win the game!

They were 100% better tonight than against Germany. I enjoyed the Akanji v McTomimay battle that went on all night.

Good game I thought. 1-1 about right. Fancy Scotland against Hungary

Master
    He isn’t their worst player, he’s better than the calamity that is Hendry. McTominay, McGinn and Robertson are so much better than everyone else. How does Che Adams get a game? Utter pony. Scotland comfortably the worst team at the tournament.
    I'd agree.
    Caveman football.
    Defenders unable to pass the ball.
    Disagree about McGinn. He did nothing.
    Not sure he touched it first half.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Scotland played better but not well.

Good first and last 20. That’s it. Rode their luck but now play the dark arts game - the Man City way - of get free kicks from your defenders falling over in defensive last third rather than fighting their way out.

Happier with the effort and apparent game plan.

Hungary though have nothing to lose so will go for it. Not the easy game as some seem to think.

Ralston has been appalling encapsulated by his woeful error - he’s not alone though.

Feel sorry for Tierney.

Joe Hart comes across really well. Knowledgeable about the game.

Much better coverage by BBC and even better that there was no mention of the country south of Hadrian’s Wall. Mind you I watched on bbc Scotland so can’t say what SOTB viewers suffered.

Jim

I’d summarise that performance as a sleeves up shift that was put in. Plenty of positives to take from it, but also concerns. Alarming how Hendry struggles to make a simple pass under no pressure and Ralston did the same. Swiss are a good side make no mistake and a draw against them is a very decent result. Hungary will go for it on Sunday and so will Scotland so hopefully that will make for a good open attacking contest. Maybe a slice of luck required but all to play for.

Looks like the same team tonight. Fair play. Shows confidence in the players he has.

Hopefully Foden finds a way to influence the game a bit more.

Still not convinced by Taa in the middle

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by xxnick1975 View Post
    Looks like the same team tonight. Fair play. Shows confidence in the players he has.

Hopefully Foden finds a way to influence the game a bit more.

Still not convinced by Taa in the middle

to be fair if he started with that he cant throw it out after one game.

Quote Originally Posted by cyrusir View Post
    I agree, hopefully it clicks this afternoon

Hope the commentators remind me of Jude’s age. I’ve forgotten

He can and he should. It didn't work. It worries me massively if he can't see that. It isn't a crime to make a mistake but it is to repeat it.

He's belligerently playing people out of position just to get TAA in the team. He sprayed a couple of long balls that ended in nothing, gave the ball away in dangerous areas and didn't impact the game in any way at all. So let's hope the story is a red herring. Trent out, Foden at 10 and Gordon on the left. And switch Saka for Bowen. We wouldn't lose any shape, only improve it by having Foden in the right place and we'd be more potent up front in wide areas with Bowen and Gordon.

Quote Originally Posted by cyrusir View Post

Master
    He can and he should. It didn't work. It worries me massively if he can't see that. It isn't a crime to make a mistake but it is to repeat it.

He's belligerently playing people out of position just to get TAA in the team. He sprayed a couple of long balls that ended in nothing, gave the ball away in dangerous areas and didn't impact the game in any way at all. So let's hope the story is a red herring. Trent out, Foden at 10 and Gordon on the left. And switch Saka for Bowen. We wouldn't lose any shape, only improve it by having Foden in the right place and we'd be more potent up front in wide areas with Bowen and Gordon.
    hasnt trent started most of the last 10 games in midfield? not sure why this is a surprise now the tournament has started?

if anyone should be dropped after that opener its foden.

Bowen more potent than Saka?!!? Saka set up the goal for Bellingham and was murdering their left back until he got tired.