closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 26 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: The Euros 2024 Thread

Itís even worse when you see it on paper. Itís got to be the worst defence and midfield weíve taken to a tournament in living memory.

Quote Originally Posted by Chewitt13 View Post
    Pretty certain you've wanted McGuire out for the last 2 years.......

Sent from my Pixel 8 Pro using Tapatalk
    Ha ha. Too true. Will rant at anything!

Sent from my M2101K6G using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    Itís even worse when you see it on paper. Itís got to be the worst defence and midfield weíve taken to a tournament in living memory.
    Have a vape and chill out!

After I’ve gotten over the initial “what!” my thought is that I just imagined we had more depth than this.
    Going to a tournament with Dunk, Konsa, Giehi, Mainoo, Wharton, Gomez etc doesn’t fill me with any hope. Dunk especially - WTF is that about? I had us to lose in the quarters but I’ll go round of 16 now.
    Nobody would be happier than me to be wrong.

And yes I did want Maguire out but when you see what’s left, he’s a massive upgrade.

I thought Scotland had a real chance of qualifying out of the group but the injuries have hit us hard and at best I think we have a punchers chance of getting through now. The squad is as good as itís been for a long time but the age old problem of a lack of top tier strikers plagues us once again. Still excited but more with hope than expectation.

A fair assessment I think. I don't think losing Dykes is a bad thing, he's absolutely terrible. It creates an opportunity for someone else to shine and maybe play a different way. I hope you get out of the group.

Quote Originally Posted by RustyBin5 View Post
    I thought Scotland had a real chance of qualifying out of the group but the injuries have hit us hard and at best I think we have a punchers chance of getting through now. The squad is as good as itís been for a long time but the age old problem of a lack of top tier strikers plagues us once again. Still excited but more with hope than expectation.

I don't understand the point of including Grealish in the squad and then sending him home after he made a real impact off the bench on Monday night, contributing to 2 goals. I guess Eze got in ahead of him based on Monday but I would take them both.

The defence is a major worry and keeping Dunk over Braithwaite seems a pretty regressive choice.

Quote Originally Posted by watchcollector1 View Post
    I don't understand the point of including Grealish in the squad and then sending him home after he made a real impact off the bench on Monday night, contributing to 2 goals. I guess Eze got in ahead of him based on Monday but I would take them both.

The defence is a major worry and keeping Dunk over Braithwaite seems a pretty regressive choice.
    If you take Eze and JG, someone else has to be dropped......

Dunk used to playing out under a heavy press, which we might need to do in some games, and he's a leader

Go be fair, how many times have we all moaned (me included) when Southgate has picked someone who is out of form (but has never let him down???). Now people are having a go as he's dropped Maddison and Grealish, who have both had bang average seasons, there are others who have far out performed those 2 tbh...

So weíre off to Germany and the bookies have us 3/1 favourites to win the Euros for the first time in our history. The most ardent England fan must admit to that being an utter shambles of a performance against Iceland last night. Apart from Gordon, Rice and Trent we were clueless. We never looked like we could win that game.

Imagine what a top coach could do with those players. Yes I know weíve had arguably stronger squads with top coaches like Capello and Sven and that didnít end well either.

Worrying times for sure. I read the FA is desperate to give Southgate a new contract. And we wonder why weíve only won one competition in over 100 years.

France or Germany to win it again for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Martylaa View Post
    Go be fair, how many times have we all moaned (me included) when Southgate has picked someone who is out of form (but has never let him down???). Now people are having a go as he's dropped Maddison and Grealish, who have both had bang average seasons, there are others who have far out performed those 2 tbh...
    Bowen for a start.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

What are the chances that Luke Shaw will be fit for the start? If not hobbling, match fit? Stay fit? He's started in about half of United's premier league games during his time at OT. His back up is even worse.

I think the squad should have a fit, left back. There must be an English, left footed, fit, left back who is a regular starter in the premier league. Doesn't have to be a star from one of the top teams, any fit half decent player will do and would be better.

Youíre spot on. Iíd have taken Tyrick Mitchell from Palace. Iíve watched him since he was in the academy and heís a real talent. I canít get my head around why heís never had a call up when LB is our most vulnerable position. Our own Lewis Hall is a LB for the future but too soon just yet.

Quote Originally Posted by BillyCasper View Post
    What are the chances that Luke Shaw will be fit for the start? If not hobbling, match fit? Stay fit? He's started in about half of United's premier league games during his time at OT. His back up is even worse.

I think the squad should have a fit, left back. There must be an English, left footed, fit, left back who is a regular starter in the premier league. Doesn't have to be a star from one of the top teams, any fit half decent player will do and would be better.

Master
    Defence feels a worry for sure.
    I would have taken Dier. Had some decent games for Bayern and has experience.

I know. In what world other than Southgate’s is Dunk preferable to Dier?

We’d be better off taking Dan Burn than Dunk - 100%

Quote Originally Posted by Boss13 View Post
    Defence feels a worry for sure.
    I would have taken Dier. Had some decent games for Bayern and has experience.
    Last edited by TaketheCannoli; 8th June 2024 at 17:50.

They should have apologised to Ben White, he comes in as a right back/centre back option, we can then have more options of having Trippier at left back and push TAA into midfield as he's the best passer in the squad and can unlock defences from midfield.

I know. In what world other than Southgate’s is Dunk preferable to Dier?

We’d be better off taking Dan Burn than Dunk - 100%
    All these calls are marginal.

Diers had just a dozen or so games at Bayern and has played well by all accounts. Known more as a destroyer..Good for pens mind!

Dunks played the full season, is the better passer and is more progressive, so fits the blueprint better.

Dan Burnís better than Dunk.

Quote Originally Posted by xxnick1975 View Post
    All these calls are marginal.

Diers had just a dozen or so games at Bayern and has played well by all accounts. Known more as a destroyer..Good for pens mind!

Dunks played the full season, is the better passer and is more progressive, so fits the blueprint better.

Personally I can't wait until the tournament is over and the PL starts again. The Euros is like the Carabao Cup of international tournaments - World Cup is far more of interest.

All IMHO of course!

Well the wait is over, the fans are there in huge numbers and the bar bill is going to be astronomical.Hope all fans from all nations that travelled return home safely after the tournament. Game 1 opening v the hosts in Munich is a colossal ask for the Scots - however we qualified on merit and now just wait and see what happens. Good luck to both home nations.

Budweiser appear to be the England Sponsor...that, is, a, disgrace...beer and brewing one of the last things we can justifiably claim to be among the best in the world in so why no English Brewer sponsor, AND Bud's like making love in a canoe...it's effin close to water...Frankly I was appalled when I caught this horror last evening...

Canít wait for it to start now. Looking forward to some top games and loads of goals. France, Germany and Portugal are the standout favourites for me. That Portuguese midfield is something else, France on the turnover are devastating and as for the GermansÖ.itís Germany innit!

Enjoy folks

Let's hope the England fans behave.

Hope the tournament is full of attacking play and goals and that the Arsenal players all come back fit!

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    Let's hope the England fans behave.

Hope the tournament is full of attacking play and goals and that the Arsenal players all come back fit!
    Off to Germany tomorrow - I'm more worried about the 500 Serbian Headhunters tbh... :)

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Passenger View Post
    Budweiser appear to be the England Sponsor...that, is, a, disgrace...beer and brewing one of the last things we can justifiably claim to be among the best in the world in so why no English Brewer sponsor, AND Bud's like making love in a canoe...it's effin close to water...Frankly I was appalled when I caught this horror last evening...
    The amount of Breweries and Brewers shutting pubs thereís no money left for sponsorship.

Master
    Personally I can't wait until the tournament is over and the PL starts again. The Euros is like the Carabao Cup of international tournaments - World Cup is far more of interest.

All IMHO of course!
    As a non sport watching person, the whole takeover with Euros / World Cup drives me insane and share the view of wanting it over & a return to normal!

I know I am a minority in this respect, but it brings all pre / post work meeting chatter to an area I cannot input to, or know nothing about.

I donít get any of the memes flying about etc, and am blessed the pubs I go to donít have Sky or even TVs so I can still enjoy my routine.

Yes, Iíd like us to win based on being English, but I have no clue about line ups, who is good or bad, but hope you all get what you want from this tournament.

To echo another poster, I just hope we behave. The Netflix documentary on the Wembley Euros final was shameful.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries
    [QUOTE=Mj2k;6409520

Yes, Iíd like us to win based on being English, but I have no clue about line ups, who is good or bad, but hope you all get what you want from this tournament.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

Very much the same as Southgate

Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    As a non sport watching person, the whole takeover with Euros / World Cup drives me insane and share the view of wanting it over & a return to normal!

I know I am a minority in this respect, but it brings all pre / post work meeting chatter to an area I cannot input to, or know nothing about.

I donít get any of the memes flying about etc, and am blessed the pubs I go to donít have Sky or even TVs so I can still enjoy my routine.

To echo another poster, I just hope we behave. The Netflix documentary on the Wembley Euros final was shameful.

Just to help a brother out, as soon as you hear people singing 'it's coming home, it's coming home', this is a surefire way to know that England will shortly be knocked out of the tournament.

Master
    Just to help a brother out, as soon as you hear people singing 'it's coming home, it's coming home', this is a surefire way to know that England will shortly be knocked out of the tournament.
    Haha that part I have learned, but thank you!

In the correct attire for watching Scotland.

Never ever forget that there is somebody out there paid a handsome amount of money to provide these opening and closing ceremonies .

Scotland donít even have the quality to string two or three passes together, they have no idea how to keep the ball.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Not good at all from Scotland. But then Germany are strong.

Just wish McCoist could tell lies and be like others nationsí pundits.

Jim

Why is Trossard refereeing the match?

Why is Trossard refereeing the match?
    He does look like him. Didnít he referee an Arsenal CL match this season with both of them on the pitch.

Poor old Scotland, not looking good is it.

Master
    Blog Entries
    In truth not unexpected. Sadly.

Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    He does look like him. Didnít he referee an Arsenal CL match this season with both of them on the pitch.

Poor old Scotland, not looking good is it.
    I can't believe Robertson was arguing against the red card! That was 2 red cards, the tackle was so bad.

Scotland just need to put this behind them, 2 more matches to try and get points in assuming Germany win all their games.

God knows how this is going to end, Germany could be in double figures by the finish.

And England are still favourites?

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    God knows how this is going to end, Germany could be in double figures by the finish.

And England are still favourites?
    I think we'd beat this German side, our midfield would never give them the space the Scots have. Scotland have played this like a testimonial match.

But France and Portugal I think would be too strong for England.

I donít think we should be anywhere near those favourite positions but I do agree that we could, not would - could, best this Germany side. But weíd need to be near-perfect.

I think we'd beat this German side, our midfield would never give them the space the Scots have. Scotland have played this like a testimonial match.

But France and Portugal I think would be too strong for England.

First game as expected tbh. Been damage limitation since minute 20. Oh well

Master
    Blog Entries
    Jocks could have a Rugby score here

He was off
    Last edited by hilly10; 14th June 2024 at 21:43.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by hilly10 View Post
    Jocks could have a Rugby score here

He was off
    Just like Scotland England rugby matches in recent years?? 🥴🤣🥴

J

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmcb View Post
    Just like Scotland England rugby matches in recent years?? 若藍若

J
    Dead right

But when it comes to footie you are Crap

Master
    gutted about the result last night; had backed Germany to win at 4-0 and 5-0; but the own goal doesn't count as one for them!

had to be an ex Chelsea player to pish me off!

that was all very predictable though; Scotland did brilliantly to qualify but that was their lot

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by hilly10 View Post
    Dead right

But when it comes to footie you are Crap
    LOL

Weíre not that good. And we know it and tell it as it is. No point in denying it. Wish other countries knew how to do that.

J

Nobody English should be mocking Scotland, we could easily lose to Serbia and draw with Denmark.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmcb View Post
    LOL

Weíre not that good. And we know it and tell it as it is. No point in denying it. Wish other countries knew how to do that.

J

The Euros 2024 Thread

And draw with Slovenia, track record isnít stellar.

Is the England team pretty much settled? A final choice of one of Palmer, Gordon, Alexander-Arnold? Palmer for me if he can fit in. Still have a bee in my bonnet about not taking a fit left back.

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app
    Last edited by BillyCasper; 15th June 2024 at 10:25.

We should have taken a left back. Our team couldnít be less settled IMO. Who knows what the manager is planning. Iím not convinced he even knows.

Quote Originally Posted by BillyCasper View Post
    And draw with Slovenia, track record isnít stellar.

Is the England team pretty much settled? A final choice of one of Palmer, Gordon, Alexander-Arnold? Palmer for me if he can fit in. Still have a bee in my bonnet about not taking a fit left back.

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

We should have taken a left back. Our team couldnít be less settled IMO. Who knows what the manager is planning. Iím not convinced he even knows.
    If Trippier wasn't picked as right back at Newcastle, would he even then be considered the best English left back at Newcastle?

Nothing against Trippier, good player, but not first choice at LB for England. As mentioned before and even as a Manchester United fan, I wouldn't have bothered with Shaw unless there's been a miraculous healing of biblical scale.