closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches



TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 25 of 27 FirstFirst ... 152324252627 LastLast
Results 1,201 to 1,250 of 1326

Thread: The Euros 2024 Thread

  1. #1201
    Grand Master thieuster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    GMT+1
    Posts
    12,063
    Blog Entries
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by beechcustom View Post
    Boom!
    I'm Team Bellingham when it comes to their referee.

  2. #1202
    Grand Master Dave+63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    East Sussex
    Posts
    16,331
    Play like that on Sunday and we could give Spain a run for their money.

  3. #1203

    Cool

    Roll on Sunday!

  4. #1204
    Grand Master Dave+63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    East Sussex
    Posts
    16,331
    Quote Originally Posted by thieuster View Post
    Congrats guys
    Cheers Menno, it was always in doubt until the final whistle.

  5. #1205
    Master
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    In the south
    Posts
    2,376
    Kane on the bench on Sunday

  6. #1206
    Please, please, please England, beat Spain on Sunday....
    Well done...

  7. #1207
    Grand Master thieuster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    GMT+1
    Posts
    12,063
    Blog Entries
    8
    Despite this, I'm Team England on Sunday. No way that I would like to see Spain win!

  8. #1208

    Smile

    What a goal from Watkins, just amazing 🤩

  9. #1209
    Lucky manager, never gets the subs right...oh hang on a minute.......

    Sent from my M2101K6G using Tapatalk

  10. #1210
    Master Tenko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    South East
    Posts
    2,085
    Think we deserved it over the 90. Nice to see us play a bit of football for a change! I was cursing when Watkins came on, then boom! Superb goal.

    Feel for the Dutch, but someone has to lose.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  11. #1211
    Well done England, excellent first half, then a wonder goal from Watkins.

    All the very best for Sunday England.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  12. #1212
    Master
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    3,092
    Good performance and a great winner. Underdogs for the final undoubtedly but just hoping for a decent game and maybe, just maybe, a trophy at last

  13. #1213
    Master
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Down south jukin
    Posts
    5,336
    Blog Entries
    1
    Now thats the way to play football with a glorious goal to win the game.

    Come on England.

  14. #1214
    Grand Master thieuster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    GMT+1
    Posts
    12,063
    Blog Entries
    8
    My oldest is in Dortmund. Tells now that the atmosphere is turned completely. Drunk supporters face-off, suddenly Ďsupportersí in black. German police acts now.

    Heís a seasoned Ajax supporter and writes ďnasty atmosphere here!Ē

  15. #1215
    Quote Originally Posted by craig1912 View Post
    Kane on the bench on Sunday
    +1,000,000

    His lacklustre jogging around the park, absence of pressing and limited speed; he just isnít suited to this England team, and he doesnít have a chance against Spain. But, Southgate hasnít got the balls.

    I like the fact that Southgate is a now classed a tactical substitute genius, when literally everyone in our house and all the commentators are crying out for substitutes before Southgate presses the button.

    Second half we reverted deep again which nearly cost us. The penalty was a crime against football.

    Happy days, though.

  16. #1216
    Craftsman Go Big's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Lancashire
    Posts
    931
    Not a chance he will drop Kane. Heís not that brave.

  17. #1217
    Master
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Down south jukin
    Posts
    5,336
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by thieuster View Post
    My oldest is in Dortmund. Tells now that the atmosphere is turned completely. Drunk supporters face-off, suddenly Ďsupportersí in black. German police acts now.

    Heís a seasoned Ajax supporter and writes ďnasty atmosphere here!Ē
    Some Dutch fans can be very,very aggressive to rival the English gets.

    I hope your son will keep out of the way and keep safe.

  18. #1218
    Master
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    By the TOLL Road
    Posts
    5,235
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    Play like that on Sunday and we could give Spain a run for their money.
    Donít worry we will.

  19. #1219
    Master
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Glasgow
    Posts
    7,880
    Quote Originally Posted by watchcollector1 View Post
    but in this case he gets in the way of Kane getting a clear shot.
    Is that not the idea of defending?
    The defender could not have done anything different.
    Kane hits the shot and follows through and connects the guys boot.
    Even the ref bird on the commentary who's a rules anorak can't believe it.

    That said brilliant penalty by Kane and it was a decent game worth watching and I'd say England probably edged it on chances.
    It does mean I can't actually relax for the final now.

  20. #1220
    Master
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    NW Leics
    Posts
    8,325
    I don't think it was a penalty but you've got to take a bit of good luck when it comes your way, and we're into our first ever extraterritorial final.

    The Dutch lads made the same mistake as the French last night, they scored too early. Schoolboy error.

  21. #1221
    Quote Originally Posted by Hood View Post
    Is that not the idea of defending?
    The defender could not have done anything different.
    Kane hits the shot and follows through and connects the guys boot.
    Even the ref bird on the commentary who's a rules anorak can't believe it.

    That said brilliant penalty by Kane and it was a decent game worth watching and I'd say England probably edged it on chances.
    It does mean I can't actually relax for the final now.
    Absolutely, the defenders job is the try and block the shot but he fails and blocks Kane's follow through instead. Roy Keane said it wasn't a pen but that elsewhere on the pitch it would be a foul but in the rules it's either a foul or not regardless of where it takes place.

    If you're putting your foot that close to the ball and the strikers foot you'd better be sure you connect with the ball.
    Last edited by watchcollector1; 11th July 2024 at 03:17.

  22. #1222
    Grand Master thieuster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    GMT+1
    Posts
    12,063
    Blog Entries
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by bwest76 View Post
    Some Dutch fans can be very,very aggressive to rival the English gets.

    I hope your son will keep out of the way and keep safe.
    Yeah he's in the car, safe and sound (and sober - that part of raising him was successful on his way home. I'm sure he has crossed the border.
    He made the mistake to send in the the family app group. Normally, he sends this sort of messages to me and not his mother. He got scolded by his worrying mother. He then wrote to me: 'wrong app group...'

    He's on the stands of his team's stadium every week and he has 'met' a long police baton a few times in the past. He's 'experienced' so to speak. I take him seriously when he talks about a nasty atmosphere.


    The Dutch newspaper journalists are merciless in their comments regarding the Dutch team's performance during this tournament. 'Instable team' and '...weird calls by the manager'. And about the referee: '... it happens, but when you play a better game, you'll overcome this with goals'.

  23. #1223
    Master
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    By the TOLL Road
    Posts
    5,235
    Blog Entries
    1
    Never rated Koeman worst manager we had. Everton that is

  24. #1224
    Grand Master ryanb741's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    London
    Posts
    20,320
    Quote Originally Posted by thieuster View Post
    Yeah he's in the car, safe and sound (and sober - that part of raising him was successful on his way home. I'm sure he has crossed the border.
    He made the mistake to send in the the family app group. Normally, he sends this sort of messages to me and not his mother. He got scolded by his worrying mother. He then wrote to me: 'wrong app group...'

    He's on the stands of his team's stadium every week and he has 'met' a long police baton a few times in the past. He's 'experienced' so to speak. I take him seriously when he talks about a nasty atmosphere.


    The Dutch newspaper journalists are merciless in their comments regarding the Dutch team's performance during this tournament. 'Instable team' and '...weird calls by the manager'. And about the referee: '... it happens, but when you play a better game, you'll overcome this with goals'.
    England's ultras are banned from travelling so on the positive side it's likely to end up being Dutch nutters vs German Police as opposed to having hardcore English hooligans in the mix as well.

  25. #1225
    Master
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Glasgow
    Posts
    7,880
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    England's ultras are banned from travelling so on the positive side it's likely to end up being Dutch nutters vs German Police as opposed to having hardcore English hooligans in the mix as well.
    The problem with the Dutch hooligans is they are all about 6ft 4 tall.

  26. #1226
    Quote Originally Posted by Hood View Post
    The problem with the Dutch hooligans is they are all about 6ft 4 tall.
    Just more surface area for the baton to hitÖ


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  27. #1227
    Master
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Down south jukin
    Posts
    5,336
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Hood View Post
    The problem with the Dutch hooligans is they are all about 6ft 4 tall.
    After the mention in the commentary I went to check

    Cloggys are the tallest people on the planet.

  28. #1228
    Master
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Glasgow
    Posts
    7,880
    Quote Originally Posted by Martylaa View Post
    Just more surface area for the baton to hitÖ


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Would certainly be the case with the Spanish police.

  29. #1229
    Quote Originally Posted by hilly10 View Post
    Never rated Koeman worst manager we had. Everton that is
    That penalty was payback for 1993.

  30. #1230
    Master
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Manchester
    Posts
    7,783
    Rated us for the semis from day one (go back and check) and strong contenders to go on and win. Great game today, very little passing back to Stones (to make a play right from defence???) and I'm feeling good about Sunday.

    Even so, no excuse for Kane... he's a lame duck, get him benched in favour of the younger options - LOOK AT SPAIN FOR GOD'S SAKE. He has no business playing international football at this point.

  31. #1231
    Grand Master RustyBin5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Scotland central
    Posts
    13,328

    The Euros 2024 Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    England's ultras are banned from travelling so on the positive side it's likely to end up being Dutch nutters vs German Police as opposed to having hardcore English hooligans in the mix as well.
    The banning order on their travel has expired on most of them and they have travelled - was reported about earlier in the tournament. As far as I can tell about 2000 banning orders are still in force.
    Last edited by RustyBin5; 11th July 2024 at 05:25.

  32. #1232
    Never a pen, but thatís football and have to take the luck.

    Played well in the first half, Watkins showed what England have been missing with some pace and running up top.

    Spain huge favourites for the final, but England have a chance if they can play like this again.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  33. #1233
    Quote Originally Posted by watchcollector1 View Post
    Absolutely, the defenders job is the try and block the shot but he fails and blocks Kane's follow through instead. Roy Keane said it wasn't a pen but that elsewhere on the pitch it would be a foul but in the rules it's either a foul or not regardless of where it takes place.

    If you're putting your foot that close to the ball and the strikers foot you'd better be sure you connect with the ball.
    I said this to the mrs, but thatís the way it always has been, no idea why.

    If a midfielder passes or shots from outside the box then gets wiped out itís a foul. But for some reason once inside the box if you get wiped out after shooting itís not a foul. Happens in the PL all the time. Showed on the match when no one was appealing for a pen.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  34. #1234
    Grand Master Daddelvirks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Leiden- Netherlands
    Posts
    40,509
    Blog Entries
    1
    Great to see England reach the final, it really wasnít a penalty though, for the rest it could have gone either way. But since England are the kings of the late goal this tournament I wasnít really surprised.

    Go on and beat Spain for us now!
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

  35. #1235
    Grand Master learningtofly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Everywhere & nowhere, baby
    Posts
    37,784
    It was a pen IMO - reckless challenge, and as said it would have been a foul anywhere else on the pitch.

    Anyway, we're through and that's what matters.

  36. #1236
    To be honest the penalty was a harsh decision.

    Kane basically got a penalty for kicking a defender when following through after taking his shot, rather than a defender kicking him!

    However, sometimes luck needs to be on your side and it is nice that it has landed on England for once.

  37. #1237
    Grand Master Dave+63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    East Sussex
    Posts
    16,331
    Quote Originally Posted by paw3001 View Post
    To be honest the penalty was a harsh decision.

    Kane basically got a penalty for kicking a defender when following through after taking his shot, rather than a defender kicking him!

    However, sometimes luck needs to be on your side and it is nice that it has landed on England for once.
    The defender, whilst going for the ball, put his foot (studs first) into the path of Kaneís foot. He couldnít suddenly stop his foot once heíd made contact with the ball.

    Had the defender got to the ball first and Kane ended up kicking his shin, it would have been a foul the other way.

    It was one of those situations where the player who was second was always going to commit a foul.

    I really donít understand why so many canít see that, unless Iím missing something?

  38. #1238
    Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    It was a pen IMO - reckless challenge, and as said it would have been a foul anywhere else on the pitch.

    Anyway, we're through and that's what matters.
    Looks like the 2 to 1 minority view, but I agree.

    Both went for the ball. Both had momentum. Kane in a controlled manner, eye on the ball, foot positioned to make contact with the ball and made contact with the ball. Dumfries, high, studs up, somewhat uncontrolled, a lunge, flailing arms, made contact with the player. Harsh because of the consequences, but I reckon it would have been a foul anywhere on the pitch.

    Kane isnít right. Not convinced Shaw is fit at all. Hard leaving Palmer out, been really impressed with him in all games.




    Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

  39. #1239
    Apparently if you're a defender and you try to block the shot but miss the ball and get the man instead that's ok, but only if it's in the area, otherwise it's a foul. Makes perfect sense right?! :)


    Has anyone seen the graphic of how close the offside was for the disallowed England.goal? They didn't show it during the match, it looked very tight.

  40. #1240
    Grand Master Dave+63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    East Sussex
    Posts
    16,331
    Quote Originally Posted by watchcollector1 View Post

    Has anyone seen the graphic of how close the offside was for the disallowed England.goal? They didn't show it during the match, it looked very tight.
    They didnít show the graphic but he definitely looked marginally offside to me on the replay. Shame really as it would have been a cracking goal.

  41. #1241
    Grand Master blackal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Scottish Borders
    Posts
    10,168

  42. #1242
    Grand Master TaketheCannoli's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    19,660
    I think it looked very tight but not seen it again yet.

    Quote Originally Posted by Papa Hotel View Post
    It wasn't remotely close, the proverbial mile offside.

  43. #1243
    Master
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Glasgow
    Posts
    7,880
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    The defender, whilst going for the ball, put his foot (studs first) into the path of Kaneís foot. He couldnít suddenly stop his foot once heíd made contact with the ball.

    Had the defender got to the ball first and Kane ended up kicking his shin, it would have been a foul the other way.

    It was one of those situations where the player who was second was always going to commit a foul.

    I really donít understand why so many canít see that, unless Iím missing something?
    Does this mean that in the penalty box now all an attacker has to do is follow through after hitting the ball and catch a defenders foot somehow and it's a penalty?
    Nobody remotely claimed for it and the studio ref who has agreed with every Var said it wasn't.
    No Pen but England played well and just about deserved it so onto the final.

  44. #1244
    Grand Master Passenger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Cartagena, Spain
    Posts
    26,036
    Quote Originally Posted by Hood View Post
    Does this mean that in the penalty box now all an attacker has to do is follow through after hitting the ball and catch a defenders foot somehow and it's a penalty?
    Nobody remotely claimed for it and the studio ref who has agreed with every Var said it wasn't.
    No Pen but England played well and just about deserved it so onto the final.
    Although you say nobody remotely claimed for it, I'm pretty sure I heard one of the monkey commentators say that Donkey was 'clever' to stay down as long as he did...which given his location, served his purpose/penalty...

    Spain's got this on Sunday for my money.

  45. #1245
    Grand Master TaketheCannoli's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    19,660
    What does 'monkey commentator' mean?

    I'll say again, that is a very painful whack on the top of the foot and Kane's reaction was entirely appropriate. Imagine how much force Kane gets through a shot like that and then a 14 stone bloke stops that momentum by flying across it and connecting with the two back studs on the top of his foot. That's super painful. And again, none of the players remotely claimed for a pen and the ref didn't give it.

    Quote Originally Posted by Passenger View Post
    Although you say nobody remotely claimed for it, I'm pretty sure I heard one of the monkey commentators say that Donkey was 'clever' to stay down as long as he did...which given his location, served his purpose/penalty...

    Spain's got this on Sunday for my money.

  46. #1246
    Grand Master Dave+63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    East Sussex
    Posts
    16,331
    Quote Originally Posted by Hood View Post
    Does this mean that in the penalty box now all an attacker has to do is follow through after hitting the ball and catch a defenders foot somehow and it's a penalty?
    Nobody remotely claimed for it and the studio ref who has agreed with every Var said it wasn't.
    No Pen but England played well and just about deserved it so onto the final.
    Iím only speaking for this particular incident, every other incident needs to be considered on its own merits.

    WRT the studio ref, she had agreed with every decision made by any ref in this tournament and no doubt, if asked again after the VAR, she sound have changed her decision to agree with the ref once again.

  47. #1247
    Grand Master Daddelvirks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Leiden- Netherlands
    Posts
    40,509
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Hood View Post
    Does this mean that in the penalty box now all an attacker has to do is follow through after hitting the ball and catch a defenders foot somehow and it's a penalty?
    Nobody remotely claimed for it and the studio ref who has agreed with every Var said it wasn't.
    No Pen but England played well and just about deserved it so onto the final.

    Agreed.
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

  48. #1248
    Grand Master Passenger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Cartagena, Spain
    Posts
    26,036
    Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    What does 'monkey commentator' mean?

    I'll say again, that is a very painful whack on the top of the foot and Kane's reaction was entirely appropriate. Imagine how much force Kane gets through a shot like that and then a 14 stone bloke stops that momentum by flying across it and connecting with the two back studs on the top of his foot. That's super painful. And again, none of the players remotely claimed for a pen and the ref didn't give it.
    They gibber, mostly mindlessly like monkey's...You can say whatever you like mate as can I.

    Sunday's game should be good.
    Last edited by Passenger; 11th July 2024 at 09:54.

  49. #1249
    Master
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Sunny Surrey
    Posts
    1,894
    Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    It was a pen IMO - reckless challenge, and as said it would have been a foul anywhere else on the pitch.
    All day every day, Dumfries was studs up 3ft from the ground.

  50. #1250
    Grand Master learningtofly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Everywhere & nowhere, baby
    Posts
    37,784
    Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    What does 'monkey commentator' mean?

    I'll say again, that is a very painful whack on the top of the foot and Kane's reaction was entirely appropriate. Imagine how much force Kane gets through a shot like that and then a 14 stone bloke stops that momentum by flying across it and connecting with the two back studs on the top of his foot. That's super painful. And again, none of the players remotely claimed for a pen and the ref didn't give it.
    Agreed, and should be patently obvious.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Do Not Sell My Personal Information