closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: San Martin vs Rolex

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    I’m sure the many Rolex owners and enthusiasts on the forum will be impressed with your insight.
    It is interesting that members on here have such strong opinions on other peoples spending habits and assume that these people are complete idiots lacking any ability to make informed decisions for themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by Daddelvirks View Post
    A lot of people with more money than sense seem to buy Rolex, odd that.
    You've got it back to front. The ones who buy Rolex are the ones who have less money and are more afraid of losing it.
    Costume jewellery. Ouch!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    It is interesting that members on here have such strong opinions on other peoples spending habits and assume that these people are complete idiots lacking any ability to make informed decisions for themselves.

I think it's interesting that many Rolex owners are so incredibly defensive about the brand - after-all, if it is The Greatest, surely that speaks for itself?
    In any case, Rolex themselves constantly display their utter indifference to the opinions of all of us - Fans and Sceptics alike - and treat both groups with equal contempt.

Personally, I think a Rolex Submariner is by far the finest £1,000 dive watch that money can('t) buy, but I do resent the £9,000 donation towards their advertising costs...

Quote Originally Posted by earlofsodbury View Post
    Personally, I think a Rolex Submariner is by far the finest £1,000 dive watch that money can('t) buy, but I do resent the £9,000 donation towards their advertising costs...
    But when you sell it, the buyer will refund you your donation.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    But when you sell it, the buyer will refund you your donation.

Possibly true, E&OE, but I will have had to be ritually humiliated by some jumped-up little turd in an off-the-peg designer suit, be kept waiting for an indefinite length of time, tolerate being patronised by a different jumped-up turd should they decide to honour me by selling me a wristwatch, endure owning a watch I don't like and which I'm afraid to wear for fear of both getting stabbed and devaluing it, and then hope to sell it without it being stolen on its way to someone who may or may-not be a scammer...

It seems simpler, less degrading, and entirely more fun to accept that Owning Things comes at a cost, and thus to buy somehting I actually like

Oh, I thought by your comments that you actually liked the submariner. If you don’t like it then it’s a moot point anyway, just don’t buy one.

I was on a list for an Airking and didn’t have any of the salesperson issues you mention. I decided against it in the end as I’ve got both a 16570 and 16710 that I don’t really wear these days. When I do though, I treat them like any other watch and don’t take special care of them. But then I didn’t buy them as an investment, I bought them to wear because I liked them.

I probably paid some of someone’s contribution to marketing but as I only paid £3.5k each for them, it wasn’t as much as buying a new one today.

Blog Entries
    Possibly true, E&OE, but I will have had to be ritually humiliated by some jumped-up little turd in an off-the-peg designer suit, be kept waiting for an indefinite length of time, tolerate being patronised by a different jumped-up turd should they decide to honour me by selling me a wristwatch, endure owning a watch I don't like and which I'm afraid to wear for fear of both getting stabbed and devaluing it, and then hope to sell it without it being stolen on its way to someone who may or may-not be a scammer...

It seems simpler, less degrading, and entirely more fun to accept that Owning Things comes at a cost, and thus to buy somehting I actually like
    You must be using the wrong AD if that's the way they treat you. Either that or something causes them to act that way. The AD I use is really nice, the sales people are both pleasant and knowledgable, and try to help even a pauper like me to obtain some of the sought after models. Even sent a watch back under warranty which was borderline whether or not I had caused the fault (crown threads damaged) which Rolex honoured.

Never had to buy a watch I didn't like either. I do wear previous purchases when visiting them so they do know I'm not flipping them which perhaps counts for something.
    As for being afraid to wear them, the only place I've ever felt that way is in London, when passing through and staying overnight for an early start on Eurostar. Out for a meal and a couple of crafty pints and the beater comes out until we're boarded the next morning.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Blog Entries
    Wow, just wow.
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

Wow, just wow.
    Indeed

Blog Entries
    Wow, just wow.
    Indeed
    Is it so outrageous to get good service by pleasant people in a shop these days?

Ahh nothing beats that feeling…

Is it so outrageous to get good service by pleasant people in a shop these days?
    You've obviously never tried to buy a Rolex from Goldsmiths in Chelmsford, the description was perfect

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post
    You've obviously never tried to buy a Rolex from Goldsmiths in Chelmsford, the description was perfect
    Correct, never been to Chelmsford.

As I said in my earlier post.

You must be using the wrong AD if that's the way they treat you...................

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post
    I can confirm that it is indeed a perfect description of the Goldsmiths Chelmsford Rolex experience. To be fair it is not just for Rolex, they can be equally wonderful when it comes to purchasing an Omega rubber strap.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveDSSD View Post
    I can confirm that it is indeed a perfect description of the Goldsmiths Chelmsford Rolex experience. To be fair it is not just for Rolex, they can be equally wonderful when it comes to purchasing an Omega rubber strap.
    So perhaps just a shop with poor staff attitudes then.
    Maybe if people pointed it out to the management things might improve, although sometimes these attitudes are passed down the management ladder.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    If you want a Rolex, buy a Rolex and enjoy it.
    If you want a Chinese "homage", buy a homage and enjoy it.
    If you don't like Rolex or their homages, don't buy them, choose something that you do like.

The d*ck waving about it all is tedious.

Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    If you want a Rolex, buy a Rolex and enjoy it.
    If you want a Chinese "homage", buy a homage and enjoy it.
    If you don't like Rolex or their homages, don't buy them, choose something that you do like.

The d*ck waving about it all is tedious.
    Devils advocate for a moment, but isn't a Rolex, similar to say a Porsche, plausibly a wee bit of a dicky waving substitute in and of itself ?, obvs applies to no one here we're all too wise for this... Speaking more generally of the man in the street as it t'were...otherwise how to explain the Rolex advertising, sponsorship and branding, perhaps the most on point association being with Bond, Connery era of course, also there was Red Adair iirc, and other manly men I'm sure there's folks here could bring them to mind, name more than I.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Passenger View Post
    Devils advocate for a moment, but isn't a Rolex, similar to say a Porsche, plausibly a wee bit of a dicky waving substitute in and of itself ?, obvs applies to no one here we're all too wise for this... Speaking more generally of the man in the street as it t'were...otherwise how to explain the Rolex advertising, sponsorship and branding, perhaps the most on point association being with Bond, Connery era of course, also there was Red Adair iirc, and other manly men I'm sure there's folks here could bring them to mind, name more than I.
    If you're inclined to be a dicky waver, then anything and everything has the potential to be a substitute for ones penis.
    If you aren't inclined to be a dicky waver then you could wear a greubel or a journe or a rolex or a casio or a seiko or a swatch without any consideration whatsoever of where it might put you in the pecker order.
    The watch isn't the problem.

Why can't I buy them just because I like them, same goes for. cars, but that's a completely different subject

Blog Entries
    I guess people who don't have nice things might try to disparage them as just 'dicky waving' by those who do. Could it be a little bit of jealousy on the part of some perhaps?

Blog Entries
    Yep, there it is, the jealousy card, and no surprise who played it. Personally I love ‘nice’ things, I even own some, but do so without the ‘being ripped off’ feeling. Nice things have all to do with taste, not with loadsamoney.

... the jealousy card ...

Quote Originally Posted by abraxas View Post
    ... The ones who buy Rolex are the ones who have less money and are more afraid of losing it.
    Quite so!

Oh... But wait...

...and this from a source that is strongly motivated to hype prices...

Blog Entries
    Yep, there it is, the jealousy card, and no surprise who played it. Personally I love ‘nice’ things, I even own some, but do so without the ‘being ripped off’ feeling. Nice things have all to do with taste, not with loadsamoney.
    I don’t think Rolex owners in general have a ‘being ripped off’ feeling. And expensive things can be just tasteful as much as less expensive ones. Personally I have watches costing from £20 upwards and enjoy wearing them all.
    To try and put all Rolex owners into the ‘loadsamoney’ category is just silly, especially on a watch forum where watches valued over £20k regularly feature.

Are San Martin expected to run slow after a while? Similar to some superlative originals?

And just die after a nothing much impact?

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quite so!

Oh... But wait...

What's this telling us then?

Blog Entries
    Be interesting to see similar price curves from other brands.

I'm guessing that won't happen!

Blog Entries
    I thought the investment thread was in G&D and this is watch talk.

Quote Originally Posted by Toshk View Post
    Are San Martin expected to run slow after a while? Similar to some superlative originals?
    And just die after a nothing much impact?
    #SignificantSilence

Blog Entries
    I thought the investment thread was in G&D and this is watch talk.
    Yes, I thought the same.

A lot of people with more money than sense seem to buy Rolex, odd that.
    Quite so!

Oh... But wait...

Blog Entries
    I'm just a jealous guy....

Not much when you look at the 126710 BLRO on SC

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    #SignificantSilence

Cant answer Tosh's questions im afraid.
    I had a 32 calibre SD drop to -5 once, that was almost a crisis but with proper counselling and Kleenex I survived.
    No deaths through impact, and my DJ and 16610 don't deviate so I'll probably not touch them until the clocks change.
    If I ever have a problem though, I'll be sure to inform the detractors immediately.

If San Martins are so good, why was that guy on SC trying to offload 200 of the buggers.

If San Martins are so good, why was that guy on SC trying to offload 200 of the buggers.
    Yep, time to open a fresh can...

Start from last post:

32xx movement problem poll and data thread
    https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/top...ink_source=app

Start from last post:

32xx movement problem poll and data thread
    https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/top...ink_source=app
    You have to log in and I’m no longer a member, what does it say.

One of many many.

Thanks. There are different 32xx movements in different watches, is it restricted to some particular watches or does it affect every moment that begins 32xx. There are threads on other forums that in simple terms suggest the issue is a slowing of the watch, losing time, for those who don’t have all the tech gear to measure.

I’ve owned several hundred watches across a fair number of brands and cannot remember the last time one ran slow, usually it is a case of running fast from a sec or two right up to +30 secs a day.

What’s interesting is the number of people who post in those threads who have owned multiple 32xx Rolex without a single issue. Is there a case of the more you look the more you find.
    Last edited by Wallasey Runner; 29th April 2024 at 13:28.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    You have to log in and I’m no longer a member, what does it say.
    In short stick with the 31 cals as some of the new 32 movements can have an intermittent amp issue.
    Youre golden with a 4130 though.

In short stick with the 31 cals as some of the new 32 movements can have an intermittent amp issue.
    Youre golden with a 4130 though.
    Thanks

He doesn't know.

Anyway, if you buy a Rolex and keep it for a while, you can always get your money back. That's free watches for life. Jake Ehrlich said that.
    Costume jewellery. Ouch!!!

Of my three 32xx watches, two (BLRO and SDc) experienced the amplitude problem and were 'repaired' under warranty (the BLRO went back twice as the initial 'fix' wasn't done correctly). So far, the LVc is fine. I have removed my name from any further 32xx models until Rolex (i.e. Rolex watch repairers on TRF) confirm that the issue is fixed.

Quote Originally Posted by jukeboxs View Post
    Of my three 32xx watches, two (BLRO and SDc) experienced the amplitude problem and were 'repaired' under warranty (the BLRO went back twice as the initial 'fix' wasn't done correctly). So far, the LVc is fine. I have removed my name from any further 32xx models until Rolex (i.e. Rolex watch repairers on TRF) confirm that the issue is fixed.
    But will they though? Admit latest superlative creations are flawed? By design most probably.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by abraxas View Post
    He doesn't know.

Anyway, if you buy a Rolex and keep it for a while, you can always get your money back. That's free watches for life. Jake Ehrlich said that.
    I think that’s probably true.
    That and just don’t buy one if your only concern is selling it, but that goes for absolutely anything.

Master
    I've got a hunch - and I think verv might have said this somewhere - that the issue is likelier the more the watch is worn. My (very early, so out of warranty) SD43 has always been 1-2 seconds per day slow. This thread induced me to check it again and it lost 2 seconds in two days - pretty good. But it's only occasionally worn, so if the issue is something to do with wear and tear, loss of lubrication etc, you'd expect that.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom-P View Post
    I've got a hunch - and I think verv might have said this somewhere - that the issue is likelier the more the watch is worn. My (very early, so out of warranty) SD43 has always been 1-2 seconds per day slow. This thread induced me to check it again and it lost 2 seconds in two days - pretty good. But it's only occasionally worn, so if the issue is something to do with wear and tear, loss of lubrication etc, you'd expect that.
    Could always use a San Martin as a beater and keep the Rolex for best! :-).