closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Ceramic paint coating for car - worth it?

Ceramic paint coating for car - worth it?

Are ceramic paint coatings for cars any good? Are there any bransd that are better than others? Does a car with ceramic coating need any special care regarding wash and wax?

Oh boy, this subject is triggering for some every time it's brought up.

But, yes. I love it and have our cars done. Big difference between the types of products, not just brands. The home application ones are pretty much just a decent water repellent and will wash off. The professionally applied ones are, in my opinion, fantastic and last many years. You still need to wash the car, but not polish or wax it (the ceramic coating basically serves as a much more permanent barrier, so the wax would just kinda smear on top of it). I have experience with Gtechniq and Cquartz. Both do a range of products, but I've had both professionally applied with their pro products. It has lasted 4 years on the garaged cars and still looks brand new, while another car isn't garaged and has had it on for two years, also still looking great.

Craftsman
    Its 99% application rather than product ime , choose a good detailer to do it , it is NOT a diy job, the diy products are a waste of money

Yes it's worth it , makes the car easy and quick to clean and makes the paint more resistant to contamination and marking

You don't need special shampoos but a clean with something like Carpro Reset every few months helps keep the ceramic in good order .

Master
    Technology has moved on a lot in recent years and there are some good products out there. Generally independent detailers have the best products and do the best job applying it. Some products claim to last 5 years now and if the car is not washed regularly that is probably true. I am 3 years in and still get good versing but I too mine up too. The main benefit is ease of cleaning. It will not prevent stone chips.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Had my X3 done three years ago when it was three months old best £300 I have ever spent. He comes back every year to reactivate the coating £60. When I clean it I snow foam, rinse go over it lightly with shampoo, rinse and dry off, looks like it’s just come out the showroom.

Quote Originally Posted by Stuno1 View Post
    It will not prevent stone chips.
    Will it prevent light 'scratching' from hedges and similar?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Will it prevent light 'scratching' from hedges and similar?
    Very light ones yes but you will see them. Ceramic coating is basically a very very thin layer of a glass like coating. It still scratches and gets swirls but it stops those marks happening on the paint lawyer. As such it will still need a polish and top up typically once a year. If you want to protect the paint PPF is the only real option.

Quote Originally Posted by Stuno1 View Post
    Very light ones yes but you will see them. Ceramic coating is basically a very very thin layer of a glass like coating. It still scratches and gets swirls but it stops those marks happening on the paint lawyer. As such it will still need a polish and top up typically once a year. If you want to protect the paint PPF is the only real option.
    Thanks!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Liner33 View Post
    Its 99% application rather than product ime , choose a good detailer to do it , it is NOT a diy job, the diy products are a waste of money

Yes it's worth it , makes the car easy and quick to clean and makes the paint more resistant to contamination and marking

You don't need special shampoos but a clean with something like Carpro Reset every few months helps keep the ceramic in good order .
    Bang on
    The number of times I've heard of people banging on about Gtech.
    It's the detailer doing it that's the important factor not the product.

Master
    Remember to get your 0ppm water filter for the final rinse, saves any drying contact from drying towels & one fewer contact point with the paint, which is always a good thing.

Mine needs a full polish and ceramic currently. Have all the kit, but might pay someone this time as I’m getting lazy and don’t bend and flex as well the day after a weekend of correction!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Master
    If you look at my garage build topic you will see that I've recently updated it with pics of the inside, this includes a friends range rover that I am helping him to sell, this has been professionally detailed with a ceramic coating.
    Being black it really shows what can be achieved and it does make it so much easier to keep clean, but I would echo the comment regarding the hardness of the water used when washing, if you can steer clear of too much contact with the the paintwork it would certainly help in the long term.

Sent from my SM-T590 using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Weirdfish View Post
    If you look at my garage build topic you will see that I've recently updated it with pics of the inside, this includes a friends range rover that I am helping him to sell, this has been professionally detailed with a ceramic coating.
    Being black it really shows what can be achieved and it does make it so much easier to keep clean, but I would echo the comment regarding the hardness of the water used when washing, if you can steer clear of too much contact with the the paintwork it would certainly help in the long term.

Sent from my SM-T590 using TZ-UK mobile app
    That really did look shiny, was going to comment on it but stayed on topic lol.

Craftsman
    Here is my car two years into a 5yr ceramic protector , most of the water just sheets off and I use a blow dryer to shift the rest

https://youtube.com/shorts/G9cI_FLSL...uZCjxbtcIRoG6X

The absolute best thing is the wheels , I dont need to do anymore than soak them in wheel cleaner and power wash them off

https://youtube.com/shorts/euXFGby0X...KwujbqWX4jIQof