closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: My first and hopefully last venture into Military timepieces

My first and hopefully last venture into Military timepieces

For many, many years, I have toyed with the notion of buying a Military watch.
    And to be fair to myself, I never saw one being issued.

I joined the 1st Bn Coldstream Guards in 1975 and served until the end of 79. One of my biggest regrets was leaving. But that is way in the past.

Over 50+ years I have bounced around the Horology world, experiencing the delights as well as highest levels of Horological magnificence.
    And now I am all done with it.

I could whittle on, but you would have heard it all before many times!!
    So, here is my final three timepieces (unless I win the lottery!

Firstly, I wanted a precious metal dress watch. And that was filled by this beautiful NOS Longines in Rose Gold, fitted to a Hirsch Alligator strap.

Secondly, I wanted a Military Watch from the period that I served in Army.
    And thanks to another forum member. I got a vintage CWC W10 from 1977. I wonder amazing or not stories it could share??
    I was advised by several watch repairers, never to get it wet, something which I recently found out, while using a pressure washer!
    Suffice to say it will worn faraway from water.

Thirdly, I wanted both a Military Watch, one that could be personalised and one that I could wear in virtually all everyday situations.

And so without further ado, here they are.

As you can see, my beret and dogtags have just about stood the test of time and with it the BRASS cap badge that was polished with Brasso all those years ago.
    I am not a huge fan of NATO Straps, as I prefer not to have metal runners and besides the tail is always too long for my wrist.
    But here is the compulsory photo showing the Admiralty Grey strap.

I approached Steveo who made me the strap fitted to the G22. And I shall get a similar designed strap for the W10.

Thank you for indulging me

Superb!

Thank you for your service.

That is a lovely collection and the personalised CWC makes it very special.

Fabulous collection

A perfect three watch collection. Thanks for the write up.
    THIN is the new BLACK

Indeed perfect! Very nice straps btw

Nothing wrong with that collection
    It covers all bases anyone needs
    Enjoy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice collection and straps. Did you order 18mm size or wider. I have a W10, Fatboy and a PRS29b.

Quote Originally Posted by Topcat30093 View Post
    For many, many years, I have toyed with the notion of buying a Military watch.
    And to be fair to myself, I never saw one being issued.

I joined the 1st Bn Coldstream Guards in 1975 and served until the end of 79. One of my biggest regrets was leaving. But that is way in the past.

Over 50+ years I have bounced around the Horology world, experiencing the delights as well as highest levels of Horological magnificence.
    And now I am all done with it.

I could whittle on, but you would have heard it all before many times!!
    So, here is my final three timepieces (unless I win the lottery!

Firstly, I wanted a precious metal dress watch. And that was filled by this beautiful NOS Longines in Rose Gold, fitted to a Hirsch Alligator strap.

Secondly, I wanted a Military Watch from the period that I served in Army.
    And thanks to another forum member. I got a vintage CWC W10 from 1977. I wonder amazing or not stories it could share??
    I was advised by several watch repairers, never to get it wet, something which I recently found out, while using a pressure washer!
    Suffice to say it will worn faraway from water.

Thirdly, I wanted both a Military Watch, one that could be personalised and one that I could wear in virtually all everyday situations.

And so without further ado, here they are.

As you can see, my beret and dogtags have just about stood the test of time and with it the BRASS cap badge that was polished with Brasso all those years ago.
    I am not a huge fan of NATO Straps, as I prefer not to have metal runners and besides the tail is always too long for my wrist.
    But here is the compulsory photo showing the Admiralty Grey strap.

I approached Steveo who made me the strap fitted to the G22. And I shall get a similar designed strap for the W10.

Thank you for indulging me

You can’t beat a decent brass cap badge; although I suspect your Sergeant Major would bag me for an idle beret.

And for form’s sake, my only three; my 1984 W10 issued to me in 1992, my non-issued daily driver W10 and my non-issued diver for Any Other Business.

Quote Originally Posted by prexelor View Post
    Nice collection and straps. Did you order 18mm size or wider. I have a W10, Fatboy and a PRS29b.
    I went with 19mm as it will fit both models.

Quote Originally Posted by G10 for Men View Post
    You can’t beat a decent brass cap badge; although I suspect your Sergeant Major would bag me for an idle beret.
    I suspect that my RSM would send me to Coli Nick!!!!

Master
    If we are playing those game's, here's my trio.

Last edited by MADDOG; 26th April 2024 at 18:38.