closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Bremont - what have they done?

We are there but only represented as an insignificant comma.

The article linked was excellent. Bremont are now the unaffordable micro-brand.
    David
    Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations

In a world obsessed by details, that is terrible.
    Also that the line of longitude seems to pass west of Cornwall and the Cherbourg peninsula.
    For a British timekeeping brand, the Greenwich Meridian is kind of important.......

Just had a quick look, neither Nick nor Giles have posted in Insta for a while. It is clear their role in the company has been cut substantially

Quote Originally Posted by McBeardy View Post
    Nice to see a watch journalist not hold back either https://www.ablogtowatch.com/new-rel...-nova-watches/

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

That is pretty brutal.

Quote Originally Posted by sweets View Post
    In a world obsessed by details, that is terrible.
    Also that the line of longitude seems to pass west of Cornwall and the Cherbourg peninsula.
    For a British timekeeping brand, the Greenwich Meridian is kind of important.......
    Schoolboy error.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Master
    Just had a quick look, neither Nick nor Giles have posted in Insta for a while. It is clear their role in the company has been cut substantially
    They bought Yard O Led.

I've never really liked their watches but with this new brand and models....

I like them even less.

I thought the article was very good and stopped short of being too brutal but the public comments....wow!!

I've just read someone calling the Supermarine the 'Stone Island Aquaracer'

Quote Originally Posted by kace View Post
    That is pretty brutal.
    Last edited by TaketheCannoli; 11th April 2024 at 14:44.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by McBeardy View Post
    Nice to see a watch journalist not hold back either https://www.ablogtowatch.com/new-rel...-nova-watches/

I thought it was great to see a watch journalist not hold back too. There's some balance (e.g. praising the dial design) but he does not hold back what he sees as the shortcomings.

It was also noticeable that they launched these new models on the same day as the new Rolex and Tudor releases. Surely they would have known that the clamour for Rolex and Tudor would take over the media coverage?

Sent from my DN2103 using Tapatalk

I still see this

Craftsman
    I'm not sure why, but I'm getting real Invicta vibes.

I do not predict it to end well; the similarity to microbrands comments seem on point.

All of a sudden I really like the old Bremonts.

Master
    Like this?

Sent from my SM-A515F using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Nealywheelie View Post
    Like this?

Bad photo' sorry, but, like this?

Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    ... I've just read someone calling the Supermarine the 'Stone Island Aquaracer'

I don't know if it's been mentioned but there seems to be two ceramic bezelled Supermarines showing up in pictures from W&W, one black and one green that I can't see on the Bremont website?

I'm also struggling (amongst other things) with the idea of a £5.5k Supermarine 300 with rose gold bezel and bi-metal bracelet. I wonder which demographic it's aimed at?

Quote Originally Posted by dkpw View Post

We are there but only represented as an insignificant comma.

The article linked was excellent. Bremont are now the unaffordable micro-brand.
    I would have expected a serious watch blog to have checked out whether that was just a very poor render, rather than an accurate representation of what the case back really looks like…

Quote Originally Posted by MrBanks View Post
    They bought Yard O Led.
    I saw they posted a Yard o led workshop machine in their story on the morning of W & W show.

It seemed like quite a distancing post, leaving clear water between them and the show.

Master
    I see it as a disaster for the brand. / The models they introduced are totally anonymous. They could be from any kickstarter brand. So the effort put into building a brand so far is being junked.
    Whether you liked the previous or not (I didn't), that is the nub of it, yes. It's extraordinary. I do hope that someone from HQ is reading all this.

If I owned a current Bremont -
    one of the nicer old ones with the knurled central case - I’d be worried about parts availability going forward. I suspect that supporting their old models might be difficult when the company goes pop.

Quote Originally Posted by gbn13 View Post
    I would have expected a serious watch blog to have checked out whether that was just a very poor render, rather than an accurate representation of what the case back really looks like…

The fact remains that they don’t seem to know where the Greenwich meridian should be
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

This appeared on Instagram. I can't imagine they'll find many buyers for this at what it must cost.

I can only echo what's been said here - such a dramatic change in direction and not in a good way. Such bad designs - the dial text alone on the Terra Nova models is dreadful. The ablogtowatch article was spot on - it's pretty much the only watch site that gives some independent opinions. That approach is carried over into the podcast too.

I was hoping under the new CEO that we'd see well judged revisions to the existing lines - maybe a smaller diameter MBII for example. Perhaps the brand is in a bad way and desperate measures are needed. You can always find Bremonts (even the latest models) with significant savings at sale time.

Sent from my LE2113 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by TH14TH14 View Post
    This appeared on Instagram. I can't imagine they'll find many buyers for this at what it must cost.

I can only echo what's been said here - such a dramatic change in direction and not in a good way. Such bad designs - the dial text alone on the Terra Nova models is dreadful. The ablogtowatch article was spot on - it's pretty much the only watch site that gives some independent opinions. That approach is carried over into the podcast too.

I was hoping under the new CEO that we'd see well judged revisions to the existing lines - maybe a smaller diameter MBII for example. Perhaps the brand is in a bad way and desperate measures are needed. You can always find Bremonts (even the latest models) with significant savings at sale time.

That looks awfully like the Mont Blanc Geosphere :D

Master

Unhappy

What the hell is that!?!?!

Aesthetics aside, is it just me that finds a tourbillon on a tool watch something of an oddity?

Master
    Blog Entries
    I wasn't a Bremont fan to begin with, but at least you could say they were doing their own thing, something actually distinctive, with the story they were trying to tell and the designs of their watches. It wouldn't be silly to talk about there being a Bremont DNA, and I'd have thought that was where the value of them lay.

These new designs seem very generic. I don't know what the point of Bremont is if it becomes just another purveyor of quite expensive, not very interesting watches. We have more than enough of those already. Some have commented that they look like microbrand efforts, which is fair, but really there are quite a few microbrands that have better designs than these. And they are much, much cheaper.

Surely that is not real?

It looks so clumsy and unrefined.

The hands; the all CAPITALS in the text around the tourbillon; and on the upper "world" subdial the numbers appear to go anticlockwise?

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tertius View Post
    Surely that is not real?

The hands; the all CAPITALS in the text around the tourbillon; and on the upper "world" subdial the numbers appear to go anticlockwise?
    Bit AliExpress, that.

Quote Originally Posted by Fullbreakfast View Post
    Bit AliExpress, that.

^ This ^

It looks like hot garbage - a bad copy of a more refined watch, executed (and it should be) in poorly-matched materials.

Master
    Watch enthusiasts are probably quite poor judges on whether a brand will become a mainstream success but that rebrand looks horrible. I have had a couple of Bremonts and honestly wish I hadn’t sold them, been a fan since the start really. 5 mins on their new look website has extinguished all love for the brand unfortunately!

Bremont - what have they done?

Surely that is not real?

…. on the upper "world" subdial the numbers appear to go anticlockwise?
    With a ‘map’ representation of World time they have to. Not sure how others do it TBF.
    Last edited by Kingstepper; 13th April 2024 at 06:49.

This does make me think I should pick up an original Supermarine. Always liked them when they first came out. And from what I gather, fantastic build quality. I always lusted after a EP120 Spitfire too.
    Kozza6.

Sent from my SM-A346B using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Personally I don't feel that these new designs are that bad, they seem a bit generic and bland but at least they are inoffensive. I really don't like the new logo and font though, looks just awful.

“We are not leaving behind the idea of bringing watchmaking back to the UK and we want to still be seen as a British challenger — but the Britishness will be expressed much more through exploration, designs, colours and references to the golden days of British watchmaking.”

Having suffered the roasting over their alleged in-house caliber back in 2014, and finally achieving that goal it will be disappointing to see the brand decommit from their aim to lead the new wave of British horology.

R&D requires significant investment, the current VC owners will be focussed on their exit plan which requires low costs and higher volume of sales.

It makes financial sense to revert to watch assembly using mass market components.
    Designing and milling a new case design is easy enough.

Cerrato enjoyed success at Panerai, less so at Montblanc - the jury is out on his first year at Bremont.

Surely that is not real?
    I had the same thought but it was re-posted by Bremont today. Just awful and probably 10s of £thousands. The most recent Collective Horology podcast is worth a listen - harsh but fair critique of the new branding.

Quote Originally Posted by Fullbreakfast View Post
    I wasn't a Bremont fan to begin with, but at least you could say they were doing their own thing, something actually distinctive, with the story they were trying to tell and the designs of their watches. It wouldn't be silly to talk about there being a Bremont DNA, and I'd have thought that was where the value of them lay.
    A slightly trivial example maybe but this is the service sheet for my MB2 that’s with them now.

Pretty obvious this is a Bremont so no idea why they are walking away from something distinctive unless they just can’t do it for the price point they’re aiming for.

Journeyman
    Funnily enough I'm waiting on a fella today to view a 2021 Martin Baker and his reasoning being before they 'destroy the design'

Sent from my SM-A217F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    With a ‘map’ representation of World time they have to. Not sure how others do it TBF.
    Confess I hadn't considered that aspect, but I think my response would have been to rethink whether that was a sensible design decision in the first place.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by W124 View Post
    Cerrato enjoyed success at Panerai, less so at Montblanc - the jury is out on his first year at Bremont.
    I think the foreman may already be knocking on the door with a verdict. It'd take quite a turnaround from the current reaction.

On the face of it supportive but keen to make the point they are not behind the designs!

Seem to have stolen the logo from the crown on the Chopard Alpine Eagle.

On the face of it supportive but keen to make the point they are not behind the designs!

Plus the fact that this is posted Saturday afternoon when the show and launch happened at the very start of the week.
    Too little and too late to be anything other than damning with faint praise.
    Foxy has also posted to ask people to handle the new watches before they make their minds up.
    This is clearly firefighting in the face of adverse reaction to the range

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by funkstar View Post
    What the hell is that!?!?!
    My thoughts exactly.

This is clearly firefighting in the face of adverse reaction to the range
    I have been reflecting on what most consider a worrying change of direction.

B&R could be considered on of Bremonts peers, around a bit longer, similar aviation / military / adventure focus, and one of the weaker luxury watch brands. They have a very strong sense of self, and their watches, the square ones in particular are uncompromising. That isn’t an approach for the masses, but it gives them a niche, and they seem pretty stable in it. Being yourself isn’t always popular, but that authenticity makes good business sense. Generic me-too will end in tears.

I hope it doesn’t, I’ve always liked the company.

D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries
    Foxy has also posted to ask people to handle the new watches before they make their minds up.
    I can think of some things that get more interesting when you handle them, but they wouldn’t include watches.

Blog Entries
    You can argue all you want, but buying those new models for RRP is utter madness.

I'd rather put my money towards a Zelos to name but a micro brand, it's utter madness what they charge for a blown up non-story and a generic watch.
    Last edited by Daddelvirks; 15th April 2024 at 09:53.
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

Master
    Never been on my radar, and now even less so, look to be heading to the CW market segment!

Quote Originally Posted by cbh View Post
    Never been on my radar, and now even less so, look to be heading to the CW market segment!
    They'll be having bigger discount sales than CW ever did, I wouldn't want one of the new Bremonts at 90% off.

It'll be interesting to see how it plays out. Nico, YouTube's biggest watch guy has thrown his hat in, asking Bremont to revert to the old branding.

Sometimes brands listen and do a u-turn.
    Last edited by chrisparker; 15th April 2024 at 09:57.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cbh View Post
    I can see CW moving up to occupy the spot left by Bremont as while Bremont has gone kickstarter CW have put out the likes of the bel canto and C1 moonphase which are decent.