closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Bulova Mil-Ships-W-2181 (98A266) mini review

Craftsman

Bulova Mil-Ships-W-2181 (98A266) mini review

Thought I would do a short review since I recently bought one and it turned out to be -what I believe is- a solid effort from Citizen/Bulova for the price.
    So this is apparently part of Bulovas "archive series" and based on some unreleased late 50s design. I'm not really that interested in military or diving watch history to be honest but you can read all about it here if you want: https://www.watchtime.com/reviews/re...-ships-w-2181/
    Bulova released the watch fall 2021 and there are two versions: a limited edition with a Sellita SW200, nicer engraving on the case back, lumed 5 and 15min markers on the bezel in addition to the triangle marker at 12 (model 98A265) and a cheaper version with a more plebeian Miyota 82XX, a more simple laser engraving on the case back and only the triangle marker at 12 on the bezel is lumed.
    This review is for the cheaper version, the going rate for these seems to be around EUR 530 new at the moment (also what I payed).
    The watch itself has a diameter of 40mm excl. crown (which is signed and screws down), 50mm lug to lug, height is almost 15mm overall but a good 3mm of that are due to the hugely domed sapphire crystal (anti reflective coating on the underside). Bezel insert is aluminium, case has a fine bead blasted finish, comes with a single pass nylon strap.

Quirks:
    -the lug width is only 16mm (18mm nato or perlon straps will fit with a bit of persuasion though)
    -two piece case back (tension ring on the outside)
    -functional moisture indicator
    -bezel is of the 'press down to turn'-type
    -hugely domed crystal

Fit and finish is quite good, bezel action is good, wears surprisingly comfortable on the the 16mm single pass strap, lume is a bit lacking though.
    I did put it on the Weishi, seems to perform well enough dial up, dial down and crown down.

Overall I'm pretty happy with it, I mean a dive watch is a a dive watch but this one has enough things to make it a bit distinct, I also like the vintage vibe and the fit and finish is surprisingly good.

Negative things:
    -16mm lugs
    -Lume is not that great (personally I don't care)
    -Quite thick, can be hard to fit under a cuff.
    -I'd rather have a Miyota 90xx than a 80xx
    -Cheesy case back engraving.
    -Terrible to photograph.

Pics (with lots of reflections):

_1070529 klein by neuman356, auf Flickr

_1070528 klein by neuman356, auf Flickr

_1070471 klein by neuman356, auf Flickr

_1070532 klein by neuman356, auf Flickr

_1070533 klein by neuman356, auf Flickr

_1070537 by neuman356, auf Flickr
    Last edited by neuman356; 8th April 2024 at 14:27.

Good review, thank you.
    If only the lugs were 20mm

That's a very useful review, especially of a watch that's not very common. I like it, as the Blancpain 50 F Bund id my dream watch, but have to agree with your comments about some of it strange/lacking features on this homage.

My comments from the 'Incoming' thread a few weeks ago...

I bought this Bulova Mil-Ships at the end of Jan, opened the box and was immediately hit with the 16mm lug and strap width. Yes, it's historically accurate and yes, I could have done a bit of research before buying it but there you go. So straight to Google and onto WUS (mine says hi!) and I find a recommendation for this strap from Etsy which arrived today.
    Very happy with watch and strap combo.

And a more recent photo (on the same strap)...

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by MakeColdplayHistory View Post
    My comments from the 'Incoming' thread a few weeks ago...

I bought this Bulova Mil-Ships at the end of Jan, opened the box and was immediately hit with the 16mm lug and strap width. Yes, it's historically accurate and yes, I could have done a bit of research before buying it but there you go. So straight to Google and onto WUS (mine says hi!) and I find a recommendation for this strap from Etsy which arrived today.
    Very happy with watch and strap combo.

And a more recent photo (on the same strap)...
    It does look good on that Bund strap, though I think that would add too much bulk for my liking. I've ordered a few straps for it, I'll see how that goes. Also might try notching a 20mm tropic strap, think that could suit it quite well

Good to see some owner images of these. I'm surprised to find the 16mm lug rather appealing - it makes a bit of a change from the me-too conformity of most dive watches, and coupled with the minimalist look, makes for a more appealing watch than the renders circulated on release ever suggested.

Enjoy!

Thanks for the review, it’s nice to see owners thoughts.
    I have come around to liking these, I think the moisture indicator on the lower half of the dial is actually functional

Master
    A really good review OP. I am wishing that I kept the one that I once had.

I have a BP fifty fathoms and am very much attracted to the Tornek Rayville, which is close to that Bulova.

Like the Blancpain - it works well on a black sailcloth or webbing strap (or bracelet).

But sorry - that Bulova does not work on a 'bund' strap (new term to me)............. completely wrong to my eyes.

Going off on a bit of a tangent:

There are some names in the watch-world that seem to jump out at you and stir something:

Tornek Rayville

Rolex Turnograph

Nivada Grenchen

I like the look of them. The 16mm lug width appeals to me; I quite like a bigger watch in a small strap. Used to wear my CWC diver on an 18mm. I believe the more expensive version is thicker or thinner?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by earlofsodbury View Post
    Good to see some owner images of these. I'm surprised to find the 16mm lug rather appealing - it makes a bit of a change from the me-too conformity of most dive watches, and coupled with the minimalist look, makes for a more appealing watch than the renders circulated on release ever suggested.

Enjoy!
    Quote Originally Posted by ped View Post
    I like the look of them. The 16mm lug width appeals to me; I quite like a bigger watch in a small strap. Used to wear my CWC diver on an 18mm. I believe the more expensive version is thicker or thinner?
    Aesthetically I also feel the lugs work fine, it's more the lack of strap choices that comes with them that I find a bit annoying. I did however come across a light blue python-skin strap in 16mm that's on sale, so maybe I'll give that a try.
    Last edited by neuman356; 8th April 2024 at 20:42.

^^^ Haveston do a 16mm canvas that looks great on the Bulova. A bit thicker than the supplied strap too. I had one, nice watch but didn't get a look in for wrist time so I sold it recently via SC. I'll find a pic of it on the Haveston and pop it into the thread so you can see how it looks.

Nice write up BTW

Here you go

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Tenko View Post
    Here you go

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thank you, that does look good, works really well!

Craftsman
    Great review and a lovely thread, I also have one of these, plus a Tornek Rayville TR660. I personally like the 16mm lugs as something a little different and also Bulova's aim to replicate the original prototype as faithfully as possible. The domed crystal and push down to rotate bezel are also lovely features. The two negatives for me are the lume, which is pretty poor and the use of an 8000 Miyota movement rather than a 9000 but the overall watch is one I'm pleased to have.

Tornek Rayville took a different approach, and updated the case by reducing the diameter from the original TR900 to 40mm and also shortened the lug-to-lug to make it very wearable. The lume on the TR is very very good and the movement an NE15, is excellent. I'm happy to have and really rate both.

Very nice review.

I really like the 16mm lugs, it gives it a more authentic look for a vintage style watch IMO.
    Cheers,
    Neil.