closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: We could set up a delivery network rather than use delivery compaines ?

We could set up a delivery network rather than use delivery compaines ?

As per title, cover fuel costs and a drink and perhaps be no cheaper but safer knowing it was in good hands ?

Master
    Good idea. But do we have enough members? Would Tom be allowed to join? ;-)

Master
    I had this on a car forum that I used to frequent. It puts a lot of trust in other members and I remember one occasion where "damage" occured and caused a fall out! If you know and trust someone, it's a great idea.

Im assuming you mean that i would take my package to a member 20 miles away who would in turn then pass it on to another member etc etc until it reaches its destination? I actually like it however how would it be ran?
    Last edited by Franky Four Fingers; 1st April 2024 at 15:04.

Master
    Did this as a diver over on Yorkshire Divers. lots of trust and protracted time scales but very successful mainly because an awful lot of members had at some point personally met others on trip and excursions.

Insurance?
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Master
    Probably a non starter given fuel prices.

I'm happy to help someone out when a seller won't post, and the seller is local to me. But if someone wants me to drive 10 miles to pick something up, and then drive another 40 miles to drop it off to the next guy in the chain - it has cost me 100 miles of fuel. At 30mpg, with diesel at around £7 a gallon, I'm down £23ish for doing someone a favour. The next guy in the chain is going to take a similar hit, and so on it goes.

However, it has worked for me in the past - but you have to be prepared to wait. I bought a Scimitar rear axle from NE England, the guy was coming to his holiday home in France so a £50 beer token suited us both - but I had to wait 3 months (which wasn't a problem)

Master
    It didnt work like that, in the last 7 days i have been from leeds to Masham and back,leeds to Bletchley park and back,to Edingale in Staffs and back and yeaterday to Catterick and back to leeds. It wasnt too hard to arrange a route, the time taken was a drawback.

In the old car world we have a dedicated "Transport Requests" sub-forum, with messages like " Anyone help out with transporting a radiator from Truro to Dover?", and the idea is that hopefully the itinerary will match a journey being made for other purposes.
    The usual reason for the requests is for awkward-shape or delicate items that would be difficult to pack or expensive due to unusual shape. Try finding a courier for a pack of roof guttering 8ft long and 3" square!
    Ultra-valuable watches would bring their own problems for this type of gratis transport.

Journeyman
    Might work as a PSA to say you're already driving to a certain destination anyway and can drop off a package en route?

Wouldn't work for time sensitive items, though (pardon the pun).

Sent from my SM-M325FV using Tapatalk

Nice idea, but I barely have time to wipe me arse these days, never mind do deliveries.

Great job for someone retired or who has no kids.

I think there is legs to this.

If we assume (and I'm waiting to be shot down) that London is a central (ish) location to many parties who live too far from one another to rationalise a collection ...

... And we assume that some of us folk work in London ...

... A delivery service from south of the capital, to the north of the capital could be born from people just going on their normal work commute...

That's got to include a good radius around London, which I'm sure would benefit many...

Naturally trust and value and insurance etc etc would come into play, but I'd happily help someone with a delivery to/from London to somewhere in Hampshire/Sussex/Surrey.

Sent from my CPH2415 using Tapatalk

There’s a member called Tom who sells wellies on SC, he would be up for delivering Rolex, Patek and AP for us.

Don’t forget us folk up North are still hunter gatherers, but inbetween foraging trips we will happily store your valuable trinkets in our hillside caves awaiting collection from a neighbouring tribe. You need to remember that anywhere above Watford Gap still use Sun Dials to tell the time.

If Dave could turn up and feed 26 with his wholly mamoth kill we would gladly give him the odd watch or two and tell the intended recipient that they had been stolen by vikings and the like.

I think it has legs.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    If Dave could turn up and feed 26 with his wholly mamoth kill we would gladly give him the odd watch or two and tell the intended recipient that they had been stolen by vikings and the like.

I think it has legs.
    You won't feed 26 if the mammoth doesn't have legs

Will watch this out of interest, but I can't see it working to any extent.

So many things to line up between at least 3 parties.

Just do what I do - on separate occasions, my sister has collected for me:

• One pair of Carbon Fibre motorbike wheels
    • One pair of Carbon/Mag motorbike wheels
    • One pair of alloy motorbike wheels with discs and tyres still fitted.
    • One watch bought on this forum
    • One watch bought on Pistonheads.

Albeit- it wasn't more than 100 miles on each occasion.

Quote Originally Posted by MCFastybloke View Post
    Did this as a diver over on Yorkshire Divers. lots of trust and protracted time scales but very successful mainly because an awful lot of members had at some point personally met others on trip and excursions.
    Same here.
    The difference (IMHO) would be the urgency.
    Dropping a cylinder or a pair of fins wouldn’t usually have the same urgency that a watch might require . You wouldn’t want to pay hundreds or thousands of pounds and then not receive it for a couple of weeks .
    It does have legs though. I travel quite a lot and wouldn’t have a problem collecting and delivering for othe memes.

Not workable IMO.

As mentioned earlier - insurance costs if something goes wrong?

Probably a long wait if some sort of relay system is required.

Nothing wrong with RMSD or similar insured couriers for fast efficient delivery.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

I doubt it would work but just a thought and I have used Royal Mail Special delivery for many years (Up to £2500) and never had a problem but perhaps ok for the occasional very high priced item ?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TheTigerUK View Post
    I doubt it would work but just a thought and I have used Royal Mail Special delivery for many years (Up to £2500) and never had a problem but perhaps ok for the occasional very high priced item ?
    There are some aspects of "forum spirit" that would work if there was no rush for the item, or it is not of high value or it is too big for a courier etc. I've seen it done many times on Car forums. This tends to work if someone spots something that the seller won't post or refuses to accept paypal, BT's etc.

But you would have to really trust the forum member if it was a very high priced item - there are a few "stalwarts" of this forum who have gone rogue in the past.

I wouldn't feel at all comfortable picking up a Rolex for someone because I know sod all about them. For all I know the seller has switched the watch and has handed me a fake, or the seller could accuse me of switching his genuine watch for a fake. So if its worth anymore that a couple of hundred quid I really wouldn't want to get involved.

Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    Nice idea, but I barely have time to wipe me arse these days, never mind do deliveries.

Great job for someone retired or who has no kids.
    Look I’d be delighted to help someone out with a delivery if I can, but I’m not wiping any arses. That’s a red line

Quote Originally Posted by TheTigerUK View Post
    As per title, cover fuel costs and a drink and perhaps be no cheaper but safer knowing it was in good hands ?

Dropping the package off at the post office seems far more sensible in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by nickg View Post
    Look I’d be delighted to help someone out with a delivery if I can, but I’m not wiping any arses. That’s a red line
    More like a brown line?
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

This is something I’ve thought about before,I generally work in London 6 months of the year ,but I live in Doncaster.
    So up and down the A1 twice a week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by mk1974 View Post
    This is something I’ve thought about before,I generally work in London 6 months of the year ,but I live in Doncaster.
    So up and down the A1 twice a week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    That's a journey twice a week I don't miss... Doncaster - Kent Surrey.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Journeyman
    Even though not too practical in most cases, this idea might help sellers who are hesitant to post north of the border (re- the recent issue where watches marked for Glasgow have been mistakenly sent via NI and subsequently damaged by customs!).

Sent from my SM-M325FV using Tapatalk

The idea of transporting Henks old sandals to the new owner is a none starter.