closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Where to invest spare cash - other than a savings account

Journeyman

Where to invest spare cash - other than a savings account

As the title says, I have some cash that I would like to work harder. I've maxed out on pensions, what can I do? I have a few properties and don't want to go in that direction. Any ideas fellas?

Hire a financial advisor

2 replies from me in short succession now Rik, haha

An ISA would be the next most tax efficient way to invest if you’ve not already maxed one out for this tax year. Depending on your saving/investing timescale and appetite to risk either a stock and shares isa or a cash isa.

If you fancy rolling the dice and going even riskier you could try Bitcoin. Not the best time given the recent increased (I dipped by toe back in starting 12 months ago). Just be prepared to loose it all.

P.S. I’m no investment expert!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by xellos99 View Post
    Hire a financial advisor

i have considered this but don't understand how the costs can stack up. fees seem to be 3%. a reasonable LT expected return from an investment portfolio would be... 6-7% im guessing? how can it be wise to give up half of your returns when most will struggle to beat a tracker/vanguard lifestyle type fund?

Master
    Blog Entries
    As said Cash ISA. Paragon bank One year fixed 5.3% thats providing you are not maxed on this year. You could do one before April 5th then another after £20k each one

Quote Originally Posted by Bestofthebest View Post
    As the title says, I have some cash that I would like to work harder. I've maxed out on pensions, what can I do? I have a few properties and don't want to go in that direction. Any ideas fellas?
    Similar quandary,
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

What is that "spare cash" you speak of?
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by robinsongreen68 View Post
    i have considered this but don't understand how the costs can stack up. fees seem to be 3%. a reasonable LT expected return from an investment portfolio would be... 6-7% im guessing? how can it be wise to give up half of your returns when most will struggle to beat a tracker/vanguard lifestyle type fund?
    Depending on the amount you invest, you can get lower fees than 3% for a financial advisor and a managed portfolio. Also, you can pay an IFA fees for their time rather than on a commission basis. Having said all that, as you say, it's hard to beat an ETF/Tracker as their fees are so low. You could split your funds into an ETF that tracks the FTSE. One that tracks the S&P 500. Maybe one that is global.

Whatever you do, I'd suggest spending an hour with an IFA to go through your options. Have you maxed out your premium bonds? Considered physical gold (Britannias perhaps)?

Has to be whores and drugs if you already got all the other assets

Where to invest spare cash - other than a savings account

I think we’re all missing the obvious here, surely watches are the absolute best investment available, just don’t tell PADI

Quote Originally Posted by M1011 View Post
    Hmmm if it floats, flies or f***s - rent it.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post
    Has to be whores ….
    They prefer to be known as sex workers, so they tell me. I mean so I understand.

Master
    I only pay my financial advisor 1% for my shares isa I pay him for his experience I wouldn’t have a clue what shares to buy

I'd create a series of Print on Demand business on Etsy and Amazon and use some of the money to get artists on Fiverr to create designs for me to resell and get a subscription to Midjourney to create content. I'd then test what sells and use money to drive ads to the best performing listings.
    Last edited by ryanb741; 31st March 2024 at 11:33.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Ikincooper View Post
    2 replies from me in short succession now Rik, haha

An ISA would be the next most tax efficient way to invest if you’ve not already maxed one out for this tax year. Depending on your saving/investing timescale and appetite to risk either a stock and shares isa or a cash isa.

If you fancy rolling the dice and going even riskier you could try Bitcoin. Not the best time given the recent increased (I dipped by toe back in starting 12 months ago). Just be prepared to loose it all.

P.S. I’m no investment expert!

Thanks man! Not maxed on on ISA, so I'll do that!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by David_D View Post
    They prefer to be known as sex workers, so they tell me. I mean so I understand.
    Visions of Afterlife come to mind!

Master
    Life, you only get one turn at it.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael 38 View Post
    I only pay my financial advisor 1% for my shares isa I pay him for his experience I wouldn’t have a clue what shares to buy
    Yes but the funny thing is he probably doesn't have a clue either. Personally I'd stick them in a tracker fund and save yourself the avoidable 1% fee.

Yes but the funny thing is he probably doesn't have a clue either. Personally I'd stick them in a tracker fund and save yourself the avoidable 1% fee.
    If he knew, he wouldn't need to be working as a financial adviser. What he probably is good at, is telling you what not to invest in (to a greater or lesser degree).

Long term = gold bullion will keep it's value if interest rates are low, and/or the economy crashes again (Brexit / Covid / Liz Truss / Ukraine)
    2020 gold price = around £1,290 per oz to buy, today = £1,860 to buy, £1,791 to sell (+£500 in 4-years)

Short term = chocolate.

Party time = spend a few £1,000 on a barrel of whisky each year, 10-20 years later pay the £500 bottling fees, £5,000 alcohol duty, sit back and enjoy.
    Disclaimer: prices will vary from distillery to distillery.
    Last edited by Reeny; 1st April 2024 at 08:19. Reason: Gold prices updated

Quote Originally Posted by MCFastybloke View Post
    Life, you only get one turn at it.
    I agree, buy a £5,000 gold bar, a £2000 barrel of whisky, and a shed load of chocolate.
    Repeat every 1 to 5 years if required.

Eat the chocolate while waiting 10 years or more. before converting the barrel into 260 bottles of whiskey.
    Sell the gold to pay the fees.
    Then sit back and drink the unique single cask whisky at around £27 per bottle.
    Last edited by Reeny; 1st April 2024 at 07:47.

Pork markets ...

Quote Originally Posted by A440 View Post
    Depending on the amount you invest, you can get lower fees than 3% for a financial advisor and a managed portfolio. Also, you can pay an IFA fees for their time rather than on a commission basis. Having said all that, as you say, it's hard to beat an ETF/Tracker as their fees are so low. You could split your funds into an ETF that tracks the FTSE. One that tracks the S&P 500. Maybe one that is global.

Whatever you do, I'd suggest spending an hour with an IFA to go through your options. Have you maxed out your premium bonds? Considered physical gold (Britannias perhaps)?
    ah thanks, didn't realise there were lower cost/payg options. i might do a consultation just for reassurance.
    as others say though, the guy probably won't have any better ideas than maxing out isa/pension allowances, and using a global equity tracker, which i already do

Craftsman
    ah thanks, didn't realise there were lower cost/payg options. i might do a consultation just for reassurance.
    as others say though, the guy probably won't have any better ideas than maxing out isa/pension allowances, and using a global equity tracker, which i already do
    No worries. Sounds like you have it sorted with your global equity tracker and maxing out isa/pension. Best of luck with it all.

Quote Originally Posted by hogthrob View Post
    Pork markets ...
    Frozen concentrated orange juice.

Quote Originally Posted by Bravo73 View Post
    Frozen concentrated orange juice.
    S car go

Just watched an interesting video on the most tax efficient ways to save money that I found quite interesting, hence sharing here.

Here’s a quick summary

And here the video link https://youtu.be/10mC6XXChZI?si=sX1aBXzl9RRXtq5Q

That video was a good watch. Clearly explained.

Lots of personal circumstance nuances of course, but a great framework as a baseline. Of course most of us won't need to worry about anything below tier 3, but it's good to know.

Of course most of us won't need to worry about anything below tier 3, but it's good to know.
    Totally agree