closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cost of your first pint when & where

Cost of your first pint when & where

After reading the London thread and drinks / booze costs
    What was the cost of the 1st beer /  pint you can remember buying & payiing for ?
    Me. 79p carling black label. Woodlands wmc Bedworth about 1988.
    Last edited by lenlec; 29th March 2024 at 20:43.

First pint in a pub was probably The Vernon Arms in Liverpool, around 1977 when I was 16. A pint was around 25p. You could buy Worthington E for 20p a pint. Used to drink crap like Higsons bitter.

A few years later (1979) passed my driving test and remember that petrol was 74p a gallon.

Happy days…

One shilling for a half-pint of St Austell 4X in The First & Last, a pub by the Torpoint Ferry landing stage. I was playing cricket for Cornwall Schools against a nearby naval college and some big boys made me do it.

Craftsman
    Lancaster / Stavanger / Fishguard, Norway / UK
    Barley Mow Solihull. About 50p. Carling. 1983

Was working in a pub in Oxford (The Somerset) when beer broke the £1 barrier (Skol) in 1987. So you did well sub that in ‘88!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Always remember us all saying
    “If it Ever gets to £2 a pint I’m quitting “
    Haha
    Last edited by lenlec; 29th March 2024 at 20:50.

Whatever was being served in the Farmer Arms in Muker when I was 12. Ah, them were the days....

It was 1997 (I was 16) Youngs Ordinary with a whiskey for my grandfather in the Brook Green Hotel Hammersmith
    I think the pint was £2.10 from memory and a bit more for the short. A few years later (2000ish) it increased to £3.00 and I said I would give up drinking if it got any more expensive.
    Typed whilst sitting in my local paying £4.90 for a pint of Goose Island IPA which is an utter bargain for London, the still very busy pub across the road is £6+ now

Master
    Blog Entries
    Ain't got a clue how much coz the builder lads bought me a tennants extra. Don't remember much after that.

Youngers Tartan in The Old Manse Bourton on the Water, 19p, would have been about 1971.

Pub drinking before i was 18 but a pint of Simonds or 6X back in the day was 85p

Quote Originally Posted by sprite1275 View Post
    Ain't got a clue how much coz the builder lads bought me a tennants extra. Don't remember much after that.
    Lethal stuff that was

1975. About 20p for a pint of Worthington E. A pub in Exeter.

Quote Originally Posted by Franky Four Fingers View Post
    Pub drinking before i was 18 but a pint of Simonds or 6X back in the day was 85p

Oh 6X , a favourite , used to live about 3 miles west of Devizes and small woodenbarrels ( pins, I think) of that stuff from the Barge at Seend,were the mainstay of many parties.

Master
    Bulls Head Ravensthorpe, Carling @ 76p 1985, aged 17. At the time i was earning a pound an hour so i made it last.

Craftsman
    1985, Fox & Goose Wigan, 67pence for a pint of Stones Bitter, or 72pence for Guinness.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Can’t remember the price of disgusting Carlings Black Label or Teleys Bitter but I mourn the passing of Double Diamond

started doing bar work in 87 - remember the fuss when guinness (our most expensive pint) went from 1.48 to 1.52

my personal fave then was ruddles county (the old, far better, slightly stronger recipe) - its what wood and watts drank when they came in. about 1.20 or 30 a pint at the time.

more importantly i can get a decent pint of abbot at out local spoons for 2.70odds. the only thing i really miss about wales is pints of old peculiar at the blue anchor - never see it up here...

33p and It was always a couple of pence dearer in the Lounge

1997 , 16 years old, Osidge Arms in Barnet . Around £2.25

1964 the Duncan Road working men's Club (Leicester) 1s 5d which would be about 0.7p in todays currency but to be honest I never really did like alcohol of any description and after my teens early twenties I seldom drank.
    Last edited by TheTigerUK; 30th March 2024 at 01:30.

I started going into pubs in 1979 and I remember having £1 and I could buy 2 and a half pints with that

Master
    Blog Entries
    The Swan, Ruislip. Around 1999.
    Paid £1.68 for a pint of Carlsberg.

Circa 1978/79 - around 45p from memory, in Bradford.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Master
    As an 18 yr old I used to drink in a basement bar called The Coble Bar, in Hartlepool. It was a free house, so a pint was 2 or 3p more expensive than was usually the case elsewhere. A pint of Exhibition was 37p, if I recall correctly. A year later in the Student Union bar at Huddersfield, it was 35p. I used to go out with £1.50 in my pocket and come home with change.

EDIT - forgot to mention, 1978 and 1979 respectively.

Back in the 60's. A pint of Roses best bitter in the Cabbage WMC 1s 9d a pint. Cracking beer.
    Best Regards - Peter

I'd hate to be with you when you're on your own.

Cost of your first pint when & where

Early 80s - Hofmeister in The Cricketers pub, Orpington aged 15.

Edit. Having read earlier posts my recollection of 96p is clearly from years later - I remember what a ball-ache it was when it went up to £1.01
    Last edited by Halitosis; 29th March 2024 at 23:03.

Master
    Queens Head, Long Eaton. Kimberley Ales. We got absolutely bladdered for a quid (4 pints) 16 years old and watching the 1978 World Cup.

Me and some mates that had all left school but hadn’t started our apprenticeships and were signing on. We got £10.30 a week. We would arrive at the pub separately to try and avoid suspicion that we were underage. When I turned 18 the landlady gave me a cake with 21 on it as I’d been going in there for so long so she assumed that was the number. Great days

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Crown and cushion in Bolton, it was a pound a pint so from 16-ish we used to go in there on a Friday, game of snooker on the top floor and enjoy a couple of beers.
    At college we got a bit braver and started going in the nightclub on the middle floor. Same deal, quid a drink. I got very VERY drunk on Metz one week and fell down the stairs. A few weeks later I got equally drunk on Reef (essentially pure fruit juice with vodka I believe). A dozen bottles of fresh fruit juice, which acted as a fairly powerful laxative, and my brand new cream Combat pants... well, I didn't go out for quite some time after that one.

Quote Originally Posted by notnowkato View Post
    Oh 6X , a favourite , used to live about 3 miles west of Devizes and small woodenbarrels ( pins, I think) of that stuff from the Barge at Seend,were the mainstay of many parties.
    Has to be served right though…it differs hugely from pub to pub, found if it wasn't chilled enough it was quite acidic. My uncle was a connoisseur and only drank it from the Foxham inn. When i say drink i mean drowned in the stuff.

Craftsman
    Seem to recall circa 1971/2 a pint of mild was 11p, a pint of bitter 13p and a pint of Double Diamond (for those with money to burn) was 15p. I was still at school, but getting into our Derby suburb local to spend paper round money

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

A pint of brown-mild. I can’t remember the price.

Even as a 15 yo it was quite popular drink in 1984.

This was in the (now defunct) Knotty Ash pub, Liverpool.

My first pint would have been off my Dad in his local The Rock in Blackwood of a Sunday dinnertime and The Hallsands Hotel, South Hams on hols.
    But one of my first I'd have walked up to the bar to get myself on a night out would have been The Red Lion in Blackwood, Simonds bitter, 75p a pint in 1982, and The Greyhound (called The Dog by us, and is now ironically a vets) in Pontllanfraith for a pint of Tenants Extra, probably about 80p.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Watneys Red Barrel 1971 pre decimal Pubs it was 2 shillings Highgate Mild local brew was 1s 10d in the Working men’s clubs.
    Last edited by hilly10; 30th March 2024 at 07:35.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Early 70s in The Grove in Shrewsbury and The Dicken Arms in Wem - mild or bitter around half a crown

I can't remember the cost off my first pint but it was probably around 30p but I do remember 20 regal king size was 52p, I haven't smoked for year's but I think it's over 20 X that amount in today's prices. Ohh and 4 star petrol was 76p a litre.

Sent from a technical device

Master
    Cracking pub that, went back recently.

My first pint? Mmm, bit naughty I think. I was a 17 yr old police cadet on our way back from an athletics meeting. In a personnel carrier, the Inspector stopped at the Durham Ox in Northallerton as he 'knew' the Landlord who treat us all (8 of us) to a beer in a private room.
    Free beer! in uniform, under age! Can't say I enjoyed the taste much then.😁

Age 16 in the Top Alex, Southend. Whatever the Ind Coope bitter before John Bull was (Double Diamond?). About 50p from memory.

Quote Originally Posted by sprite1275 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by lenlec View Post
    Lethal stuff that was
    Tenents Super was the park bench favorite.

Quote Originally Posted by sickie View Post
    I can't remember the cost off my first pint but it was probably around 30p but I do remember 20 regal king size was 52p, I haven't smoked for year's but I think it's over 20 X that amount in today's prices. Ohh and 4 star petrol was 76p a litre.

Sent from a technical device
    Litre or gallon

Sent from my M2101K6G using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    Early sixties Truman’s Burton Bitter ( not the London version) Kings Arms North London 10p a pint or 2 shillings back then, music was loud skirts were short 👍
    I FEEL LIKE I'M DIAGONALLY PARKED IN A PARALLEL UNIVERSE

Master
    Blog Entries
    Watneys red two shillings a pint.

Craftsman
    51p pint of Dorchester in Salisbury , c1984

Master
    Mine would have been in the Dollar Arms in 75 can’t remember how much but was cheap. Small quiet pub till Alan Longmuir bought a house just up the road, so him Derek and Duncan their dad started drinking in there so the pub and town became crawling with young female fans. A brilliant 2 years followed till I left for the army.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

First I ever bought for myself was 2/4d for a pint of light and bitter in The Royal Standard in Croydon. Fuller's pub and still there.

Previously my Dad had bought me a pint in The Surprise in Shirley (still going) and my Uncle stood me a drink in The Rising Sun in Beulah Hill, S. London (sadly gone now).

Cheers,
    Neil.

Master
    I think around 30p in late 70’s. South Manchester. Not a lot of choice from Robinson or Boddingtons.

In the city Holts was a bit cheaper than anything else.

http://barclayperkins.blogspot.com/2...part-four.html

Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    Whatever was being served in the Farmer Arms in Muker when I was 12. Ah, them were the days....
    Not so far away. Newcastle Exhibition in the back bar of the Morritt in Greta Bridge with my dad. It was my birthday, so he was paying :-).

I'm thinking it was less than half a crown when I began in the mid 70s. Though I only ever drank bitter shandy for many years (was never fussed as to what bitter) .
    Then I eventually discovered Marstons Pedigree :)

Blog Entries
    Think it was the Rock Garden in Middlesbrough.
    25p a pint?

Master
    1shilling 10p (9new pence) in Reading. Cheapest ever was a pint of mild at 1/1 (5.5 new pence) in Liverpool. Post decimalisation up in Darlington the Working Mens clubs returned profit for months with pints of Exhibition at 10p a pint.

Master
    Had lunch at the Barge only a week or two ago.

Probably a pint of Directors at the Rainbow in Allesley. Cost no idea, less than £1